The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
You call those eyebrows?

giphy.gif
Touche

Is this the real life? Is this just anime?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from shinigami
Open your eyes, look up to senpai and see

I'm just a yokai, I need no tsundere...

Do you write poetry often?

@SVX if you could so kindly repost or PM your write up on the NGE.

I need different thoughts.

This is something I have been meaning to get around to for awhile. It's hyped and regarded as one of the best (or the best) anime ever to be conceived.

Is it the best? No, not by a long shot.

To me, to produce 'the best anime in the world', the quality has to remain consistent throughout the entire series, and until episode 16, the honest thoughts going through my head were 'why am I still watching this?'. The first fifteen episodes simply felt rushed, predictable and flat. They produced almost no meaning and were incredibly predictable, and without much in the way of background for the character's development known, most of the main cast were, well, annoying. Shinji was a baby that cried at the stake of saving the country, Asuka had an ear deafening voice that she used at any possible moment, and Rei was just a thing at that point.

Why did I still continue to keep watching?

I was hooked. With all of these flaws, I had grown a fondness towards the show anyway and, thanks to the old school animation, fell in love with the mood and cinematography that only that period anime can provide. To me it was a cheap thrill at that stage that was engaging to the audience but didn't force complex thinking outside of just watching the anime yet. I enjoyed it for the same reason I enjoyed Initial D. We all knew he was going to win anyway, but how is it going to happen? That's the true reasoning I still found a high level of enjoyment from it even though at face value it was rubbish.

Episode 16 onwards? Pure animated perfection.

Here is where we got to see the deep understanding of what piloting the Evas really does to the physiological system of such a young and immature set of students. Asuka's story, while not the best, was my favorite. This is because of the absolute connection I was able to sustain with the character from then on, even after the pure hatred I had for her a few episodes before. This occurred due to the absolute understanding and similarities I was able to produce from her story of simply not having any faith in ability. This is something I quite often get into on a regular basis after just losing all sense of faith in anything I could do. Her situation really spoke to me and I couldn't help but just feel sorry for her as I could just feel the pain she was going through. For an anime to make me feel sorry for someone I hated not long before is purely commendable.

With Shinji, I couldn't have the same connection. While his ending was incredibly touching, it all felt like a waste of time after seeing how he was portrayed throughout EoE. I thought at the end of NGE he'd be mature, likable and independent, but boy I couldn't be much more off. He continued to be the indecisive whiny brat even after Misato just about got killed rescuing him. He just about destroyed the entire population for the self gain of not being hated by anyone, but decided to change his mind after the realization that getting hurt was something that happens. I still don't know why he decided to kill Asuka in the last scene either.

After watching the explanation videos of the characters, it was very intriguing to see how much detail was actually put in behind some of the lesser featured characters. It was these characters that were my favorites from a conceptual point of view. The workers, even though looking as just fillers without personality, actually had much more of a deep meaning towards their actions, such as the polarized difference between Hyuuga and Ibuki who had affection for one of their colleagues, as seen in the instrumentality scene, where as Shigeru simply had no one. We saw this through the instrumentality scene and how Hyuuga and Ibuki had Misato and Dr. Akagi respectively take them in but a horde of Reis taking in Shigeru, symbolizing there was no one where he completely trusted and loved.

One thing I took away from this was the complete similarity Misato had with Asako from Grisaia. They both wore their hair in the same way, brought a child up (though Asako was much more successful), both love getting drunk and then having sexual intercourse with that child. While there are some differences the similarities are also apparent.

In conclusion I can say I'm glad I finally watched this anime. While I would go as far to say it's not the up most perfection many make it out to be, it's certainly worth praise.

Damn, now you've got me imagining a Quattro vs an 037. :drool:

Throw in the RS200 and a 205, and we have a match made in heaven. Then, add songs like this and I think we have the next "best racing anime".

Sebastien Loeb would be the worst Mary Sue ever. Just don't let it go past 2003.

What about Sebastien Ogier? Juha Kankkunen? Petter Solberg? Tommi Makinen? Miki Biasion? :sly:

Apparently, if there's a sequel to Initial D, it will be about rally racing

Already reminds me of Goddamn. 80s or 90s era rally anyone?

So that's why Kyosho's own Initial D hommage with their 1/64 Toyota GT86 has a rally version...
s-l300.jpg

Ok, that may not be entirely related, but it does makes sense when you think about it. Now whether or not it'll be a fine Group B droolfest, a set of epic Group A duels between Celicas/Imprezas/ or Galants/Legacys, or a dull modern WRC-based show, that will take some time to be figured out...

If Goddamm could manage to do proper rally action without working the story portions all that much, then it shouldn't be too hard for Initial D to do the same with additional Eurobeat.

12661987_719745628168329_1121604693518269953_n.jpg

So that's why Kyosho's own Initial D hommage with their 1/64 Toyota GT86 has a rally version...
s-l300.jpg

Ok, that may not be entirely related, but it does makes sense when you think about it. Now whether or not it'll be a fine Group B droolfest, a set of epic Group A duels between Celicas/Imprezas/ or Galants/Legacys, or a dull modern WRC-based show, that will take some time to be figured out...

Based off a real car. There was a pair of them - other one was red and black - entered into some rally event. I believe Orido drove one.

While we're on Initial D, Legend 3 hit cinemas last Saturday:

Last edited:
SVX

But who plays Asuka in that movie? I need to know, darn it! The roles aren't clear enough!

SVX
Based off a real car. There was a pair of them - other one was red and black - entered into some rally event. I believe Orido drove one.

A real car? Well color me surprised, I wasn't aware of that. Again, it shows that there is some correlation between the creator's wishes and the marketing process. Otherwise, it would just be a 86 Trophy car...

Bonus points for getting Max Orido to drive one though, if that's true. 👍

Apparently, if there's a sequel to Initial D, it will be about rally racing

Already reminds me of Goddamn. 80s or 90s era rally anyone?

If he'd push through with it, here's something I'd suggest:

- CUT DOWN ON THE TECHNICAL JARGON. While it's a good thing to provide explanations on how cars run, too much of it makes the show boring, and that was the issue that plagued Fifth and Final Stages.

- MAKE THE HERO "HUMAN". While it's a must that Takumi won almost all battles, too much of a good thing can be bad, either. The problem was that Takumi lost just TWICE in the entire storyline, and most of his victories are either by plain luck or some ridiculous twist which made no sense (e.g. AE86 vs. S2000 - apparently the old man in the S2000 got carsick). Heroes can also get stronger by their defeats, using that experience to learn from the mistake and come out as the winner. Takumi was basically a male Mary Sue.

- ADD SOME EURO FLAIR. Sure, there are notable Japanese rally icons and classics, but there are also European cars that became legends in rallying. Adding them will spice up the roster and as well as the story.

(e.g. AE86 vs. S2000 - apparently the old man in the S2000 got carsick).

It makes sense when you think about it. I mean, he was a fairly old dude. He had been pushing himself for a considerable amount of time in high temps - however Takumi is much younger and much resistant to that sort of thing.

I want more focus on story/character development and less focus on action/races.

Just make an anime adaptation of Over Rev!, then.

For all those who watched the Claymore anime, definitely go read the manga. I powered through the last 20-30 chapters the second I woke up today. Choked back the tears to get through it, but it was worth it. You should read Claymore even if you haven't seen the anime. Just go do it. Right now. Badass women cutting each other up, fighting monsters and supporting each other. No reason not to read it.

Have you read it yet? I'm waiting.

For all those who watched the Claymore anime, definitely go read the manga. I powered through the last 20-30 chapters the second I woke up today. Choked back the tears to get through it, but it was worth it. You should read Claymore even if you haven't seen the anime. Just go do it. Right now. Badass women cutting each other up, fighting monsters and supporting each other. No reason not to read it.

Have you read it yet? I'm waiting.

No, because:

Obligatory: Why u no post this, SVX

I want more focus on story/character development and less focus on action/races.

There is character development in Initial D!

"I love you, but you're an enemy."

"Let's race for our love."

- after -

"I am impressed by your skill, but I am a racer, with no time for romance in my life. Your love must forever be unrequited."

END

-

I only watch Initial D for the technical discussion. The characters are about as interesting as a bunch of car nerds having a round of Red Bull by the side of the road at night.

Could be worse. The main characters could talk and act like actual hardcore street racers, who are often total pricks.

Back