The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
So I went and got that first season of Love Live done.

Though Love Live is all about the music, and it has this anime, I got into it for neither of those reasons. I was into the characters and so they're mostly what I'll be judging here.

If I'm honest, from looks at fan art of late I'd already established my two clear favourites. They both remain my clear favourites, but behind them I couldn't have possibly expected who I liked and who I didn't.

I suppose I'd better start with those favourites. By rights, my absolute favourite should be Maki. At times she just looks gorgeous and her singing voice is the best by miles...her normal voice, not so much, but w/e. Annoyingly she's got a pretty irritating tsundere-light personality that does her no favours - and which probably has made her the most popular all by itself somehow (seriously, how does the tsundere personality appeal at all?). But it doesn't matter because she's so sweeeeeeet.

Despite this, she's not my actual favourite. That accolade rests with Eli.

It's hard to explain why this is so. Actually, without making me look mad, it's nigh-impossible...Somehow though, she has that little extra something that just makes her so much better than the rest of the cast. As expected she was a bitch at the start, but as it turned out, this was a good thing...more on that later. She is also the second president I know with an annoying catchphrase, after Hanekawa Tsubasa...who I really like.

So that leaves the other seven and I'll say them in the order they're listed on TVTropes - possibly the order in which they're main characters. (They put Eli second which seems about right realistically.)

First is Honoka and oh my ****ing god what a despicable character she is. How utterly annoying she is from the very start and how unfortunate it be that she is the main character. The quality of the franchise would be improved immeasurably without her being the main...but then again it wouldn't have gone quite the way it did if she wasn't. Still. I was expecting her to be average, a non-relevance and just there to be the main character and do the right things at the right time. She did everything wrong. Her voice was also all wrong and doesn't sound good in the songs either. Everything about her annoyed me and frankly it's a testament to the rest of the anime that I still think it's very good despite her presence. Hate her.

Kotori is rather better. She's got a cute voice but it's not stupid. It doesn't sound good in songs either though. Ultimately she's rather inoffensive and there's nothing wrong with that.

Umi was a very good surprise. Her no-nonsense approach is super cool and she's simply an all around good person. Her voice is one of the best whether she's singing or not. And I've gotta say, her reaction to Honoka quitting was perfect. I'd wanted someone to knock some sense into her for so long and "You're the worst!" is totally correct. +rep for Umi.

Rin isn't someone you see a lot. Her cat-like stuff doesn't really add anything, I think her voice is really kinda odd on both counts and she's also, dare I say it, rather ugly.

Her mate Hanayo was the biggest surprise - and much better. I was expecting her to be the most irrelevant but she ended up being even more stupidly cute than she looked. She's always pretty funny as well and even though her voice is ridiculously high I'm used to that sort of thing now. She reminds me a lot of Uiharu out of Railgun actually. Only I thought I'd like her from the start...

Nozomi is just really silly on every level. Also a little bit weird and creepy plus the way she was doing **** with u's behind Eli's back makes me wonder if she really is #LoyalToHerHoes. Still, she's hardly harmless in the grand scheme of things. But sometimes she just seems like comic relief. A little less than I expected given that she was the one I really knew about before I got into Love Live. (Seriously I had so much art of her long before I thought about getting into her, it's ridiculous)

That leaves Nico and I'd heard that she divided a lot of opinions. I mostly thought she was little more than an annoyance, but I just did what everyone does in the anime and plain simply ignored her. So she was mostly an irrelevance.

Now onto the less important stuff. The anime itself was totally fine but it started running out of life after episode 8 - which was of course when Eli joined. Needless to say, her antagonism over everything made the first half of the season that much more intense and I dare say it kept the story interesting single-handedly. That's something about her, I guess. Afterwards it just seemed all a bit like a soap. Drama for drama's sake. Still, I liked it.

The music was pretty much as you'd expect, your basic J-Pop, but since it's the center of the show I actually paid attention to each of their individual voices, as you might have noticed. Maki is obviously the best by a country mile, but Umi is also superb and, if you manage to catch the two seconds of solo Eli gets at the end, hers is great too. Everyone else is either too high-pitched for comfort (Honoka, Kotori, Hanayo, Nico) or too weird (Rin, Nozomi).

So I'd say it's made a very good first impression. I give it an 8 with my lenient anime marking. Though it might be difficult right now, I'll find some time to watch the second season, then the movie. What I do from there, we'll see...

As a side note, I should explain that the reason I've just suddenly gotten into this rather than something else of its ilk is pretty irrational. Simply put, an artist I really like now does it over Touhou and so I felt keen to give it a proper check. My Tumblr dashboard might also have had something to do with it.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention, the animation on the music videos is superb. But then what else did you think they'd spend their animation money on?

Last edited:
3D Honoka is better than 2D Honoka.
CVyuOxXVEAM8rLW.png

I'd say my favorite characters in order are:
Eli: Best character design. Her voice actress also sung both Railgun openings under fripSide.
Maki: All round positive
Umi: Best voice, as well as being most realistic
Nico: Actually really sweet, and there was some good character development
Nozomi: Kind of a dork
Honoka: She really grew on me after S2.
Kotori: Really cute, but I find her voice irritating
Rin: Don't like her character or design, but her voice isn't bad
Hanayo: No redeeming qualities after she started wearing contacts

Lily White with Rin, Nozomi, and Umi has a couple good songs.

Really? OK she's automatically more awesome now. The first one is probably my favourite opening song along with A Cruel Angel's Thesis.
Yeah! Nanjo Yoshino. She's still singing, but has been having some knee issues lately due the a training accident. Unfortunately, this seems to be one of the main reasons that the group is doing their last live show this April (since she has trouble dancing).

Yeah! Nanjo Yoshino. She's still singing, but has been having some knee issues lately due the a training accident. Unfortunately, this seems to be one of the main reasons that the group is doing their last live show this April (since she has trouble dancing).
Yeah, you said something like that and I actually noticed it. I suppose hearing it was gonna be the last they do also went and peaked my interest a little.

Also, look at me, with an actual anime girl for an avatar for the first time since I think August last year. That's gotta count for something. (I'll be back to EmRata by next week I bet)

I've been hammering Your Lie In April over the past week. It was a beautiful show with a touching story. It ended nicely and the sound was great too. Would I say go watch it? Definitely, doesn't need a lot of brain power to watch so doooooooowit.

Love Live I've been considering.

And well, I started watching NGE again since I'm now wiser. Let the weirdness begin and dandruff time begin!!!

Hyakka Ryouran could've been something really cool while still maintaining the same level of booty. They just ... didn't make it happen.
See Freezing. Manga is better than the adaptation here.

Are there actually any shows with GOOD writing and these kind of "assets"?

So I went and got that first season of Love Live done.

Though Love Live is all about the music, and it has this anime, I got into it for neither of those reasons. I was into the characters and so they're mostly what I'll be judging here.

If I'm honest, from looks at fan art of late I'd already established my two clear favourites. They both remain my clear favourites, but behind them I couldn't have possibly expected who I liked and who I didn't.

I suppose I'd better start with those favourites. By rights, my absolute favourite should be Maki. At times she just looks gorgeous and her singing voice is the best by miles...her normal voice, not so much, but w/e. Annoyingly she's got a pretty irritating tsundere-light personality that does her no favours - and which probably has made her the most popular all by itself somehow (seriously, how does the tsundere personality appeal at all?). But it doesn't matter because she's so sweeeeeeet.

Despite this, she's not my actual favourite. That accolade rests with Eli.

It's hard to explain why this is so. Actually, without making me look mad, it's nigh-impossible...Somehow though, she has that little extra something that just makes her so much better than the rest of the cast. As expected she was a bitch at the start, but as it turned out, this was a good thing...more on that later. She is also the second president I know with an annoying catchphrase, after Hanekawa Tsubasa...who I really like.

So that leaves the other seven and I'll say them in the order they're listed on TVTropes - possibly the order in which they're main characters. (They put Eli second which seems about right realistically.)

First is Honoka and oh my ****ing god what a despicable character she is. How utterly annoying she is from the very start and how unfortunate it be that she is the main character. The quality of the franchise would be improved immeasurably without her being the main...but then again it wouldn't have gone quite the way it did if she wasn't. Still. I was expecting her to be average, a non-relevance and just there to be the main character and do the right things at the right time. She did everything wrong. Her voice was also all wrong and doesn't sound good in the songs either. Everything about her annoyed me and frankly it's a testament to the rest of the anime that I still think it's very good despite her presence. Hate her.

Kotori is rather better. She's got a cute voice but it's not stupid. It doesn't sound good in songs either though. Ultimately she's rather inoffensive and there's nothing wrong with that.

Umi was a very good surprise. Her no-nonsense approach is super cool and she's simply an all around good person. Her voice is one of the best whether she's singing or not. And I've gotta say, her reaction to Honoka quitting was perfect. I'd wanted someone to knock some sense into her for so long and "You're the worst!" is totally correct. +rep for Umi.

Rin isn't someone you see a lot. Her cat-like stuff doesn't really add anything, I think her voice is really kinda odd on both counts and she's also, dare I say it, rather ugly.

Her mate Hanayo was the biggest surprise - and much better. I was expecting her to be the most irrelevant but she ended up being even more stupidly cute than she looked. She's always pretty funny as well and even though her voice is ridiculously high I'm used to that sort of thing now. She reminds me a lot of Uiharu out of Railgun actually. Only I thought I'd like her from the start...

Nozomi is just really silly on every level. Also a little bit weird and creepy plus the way she was doing **** with u's behind Eli's back makes me wonder if she really is #LoyalToHerHoes. Still, she's hardly harmless in the grand scheme of things. But sometimes she just seems like comic relief. A little less than I expected given that she was the one I really knew about before I got into Love Live. (Seriously I had so much art of her long before I thought about getting into her, it's ridiculous)

That leaves Nico and I'd heard that she divided a lot of opinions. I mostly thought she was little more than an annoyance, but I just did what everyone does in the anime and plain simply ignored her. So she was mostly an irrelevance.

Now onto the less important stuff. The anime itself was totally fine but it started running out of life after episode 8 - which was of course when Eli joined. Needless to say, her antagonism over everything made the first half of the season that much more intense and I dare say it kept the story interesting single-handedly. That's something about her, I guess. Afterwards it just seemed all a bit like a soap. Drama for drama's sake. Still, I liked it.

The music was pretty much as you'd expect, your basic J-Pop, but since it's the center of the show I actually paid attention to each of their individual voices, as you might have noticed. Maki is obviously the best by a country mile, but Umi is also superb and, if you manage to catch the two seconds of solo Eli gets at the end, hers is great too. Everyone else is either too high-pitched for comfort (Honoka, Kotori, Hanayo, Nico) or too weird (Rin, Nozomi).

So I'd say it's made a very good first impression. I give it an 8 with my lenient anime marking. Though it might be difficult right now, I'll find some time to watch the second season, then the movie. What I do from there, we'll see...

As a side note, I should explain that the reason I've just suddenly gotten into this rather than something else of its ilk is pretty irrational. Simply put, an artist I really like now does it over Touhou and so I felt keen to give it a proper check. My Tumblr dashboard might also have had something to do with it.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention, the animation on the music videos is superb. But then what else did you think they'd spend their animation money on?

Great write up and basically falls in line with my thoughts too. Honestly doesn't get enough credit where it's due - it's not just fantastic for what it is, but I found it generally good for anime, at least modern anime. I preferred Umi's voice and really liked Maki's normal talking voice, however I don't really see the issue with Honoka. I found her ignorant but easy going attitude fun and enjoyable to watch.

I'd say my favorite characters in order are:
Eli: Best character design. Her voice actress also sung both Railgun openings under fripSide.
Maki: All round positive
Umi: Best voice, as well as being most realistic
Nico: Actually really sweet, and there was some good character development
Nozomi: Kind of a dork
Honoka: She really grew on me after S2.
Kotori: Really cute, but I find her voice irritating
Rin: Don't like her character or design, but her voice isn't bad
Hanayo: No redeeming qualities after she started wearing contacts

Basically my own views too, except I'd swap Honoka with Nozomi.

I honestly don't see the hate for Nico. Her characteristics are reasonable considering circumstances, she looks pretty good (imo), and personally I find her traits endearing.

Rin and Hanayo though, :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Really? OK she's automatically more awesome now. The first one is probably my favourite opening song along with A Cruel Angel's Thesis.

Also did a lot of the songs for Grisaia, too (not that anyone should have watched that)

Anyone have 3.33 preordered? It's finally coming out for realsies this time... in fact, my copy has been shipped already and might even arive a few days before the official Feb 2nd release date.

Anyone have 3.33 preordered? It's finally coming out for realsies this time... in fact, my copy has been shipped already and might even arive a few days before the official Feb 2nd release date.
Just curious: Is it in English? Or can you understand moon runes?

SVX
Great write up and basically falls in line with my thoughts too.

Tyvm ^_^

I preferred Umi's voice and really liked Maki's normal talking voice, however I don't really see the issue with Honoka. I found her ignorant but easy going attitude fun and enjoyable to watch.
Maki's talking voice isn't bad by any means but it's odder than I expected. I actually thought Pile was a nickname for some seiyuu I'd heard before...but it wasn't. Still, as we've heard, properly good when singing so who cares.

As for Honoka's issues, I blame all my expectations. Like I said, I was expecting someone harmless but instead I got a genki girl gone wrong. And I got this impression almost after the first time she spoke. In fact any time she spoke, or moved, or was in the same room as someone, she was an inconvenience. But again, whatever. It's not like there ended up being 8 other characters to pay attention to instead...

PS. I'm not reading the manga, but I'm well aware of its presence and I check a couple of the notable pages sometimes...already found my favourite

Maki's talking voice isn't bad by any means but it's odder than I expected. I actually thought Pile was a nickname for some seiyuu I'd heard before...but it wasn't. Still, as we've heard, properly good when singing so who cares.

Then again I like weird voices. What's her face from Railgun is another example.

PS. I'm not reading the manga, but I'm well aware of its presence and I check a couple of the notable pages sometimes...already found my favourite

I love you

I just read the recent Fairy Tail Manga and oh my god come on!!!!!
God Serena dominates the wizard saints and then gets one shotted by Acnologia. The most hyped up person in Fairy Tail dead after his first "fight." Not all of his powers were even revealed, I think about 4 or 5 of his 8 Dragon Lacrima powers.

I just read the recent Fairy Tail Manga and oh my god come on!!!!!
God Serena dominates the wizard saints and then gets one shotted by Acnologia. The most hyped up person in Fairy Tail dead after his first "fight." Not all of his powers were even revealed, I think about 4 or 5 of his 8 Dragon Lacrima powers.

It's Fairy Tale. I am not surprised.

Back