The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
18446960_1066883323445703_6247431258826033082_n.jpg

Sadly I haven't really been watching much anime these days, so I don't have anything to recommend. But if you've got a PS4, then I recommend Nier Automata... Yoko Taro is basically the Hideaki Anno of video games. :P

It's on my list! I'm currently burning through Yakuza 0... which took a backseat because I gave in and got Persona 5. After those two I'm going to delve hard into the original Nier, which I've had since last summer and have not beaten yet. PS4 has been taking too much of my time. I still have to play several games like DOOM, Destroy All Humans 1&2, Darksiders 1&2... Quite a few others. I put Dark Souls 3 on the back burner because it's the last of the series and I'm not emotionally ready to let go quite yet.

In this corner of the world. Great great movie.

Noted! Also a man with stellar taste. I'll have to take you up on that.

I should probably mention more anime. Recently my friends and I went super hard into Yu-Gi-Oh!, rewatched the original series.. I bought some cards and made a dope Blue Eyes Ultimate deck. Plus the movie that just came out, Dark Side of Dimensions. Can't get enough of that YUGE.

Reading the Hunter X Hunter manga since I finished the 2011 series like two years ago. Have a few other manga on the burner: As the Gods Will, BTOOM!(eventually), Tokyo Ghoul(I still love you Kaneki). Also read Battle Royale and had a grand old time.

It's on my list! I'm currently burning through Yakuza 0... which took a backseat because I gave in and got Persona 5. After those two I'm going to delve hard into the original Nier, which I've had since last summer and have not beaten yet. PS4 has been taking too much of my time. I still have to play several games like DOOM, Destroy All Humans 1&2, Darksiders 1&2... Quite a few others. I put Dark Souls 3 on the back burner because it's the last of the series and I'm not emotionally ready to let go quite yet.

Noted! Also a man with stellar taste. I'll have to take you up on that.

I should probably mention more anime. Recently my friends and I went super hard into Yu-Gi-Oh!, rewatched the original series.. I bought some cards and made a dope Blue Eyes Ultimate deck. Plus the movie that just came out, Dark Side of Dimensions. Can't get enough of that YUGE.

Reading the Hunter X Hunter manga since I finished the 2011 series like two years ago. Have a few other manga on the burner: As the Gods Will, BTOOM!(eventually), Tokyo Ghoul(I still love you Kaneki). Also read Battle Royale and had a grand old time.

You could also watch...what the hell was it...

Akame ga Kill! is an awesome anime. Just mind that the ending of the anime deviates from the source material, so non-canon.

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary). Yandere love interest. A game of life and death, with a god's throne as the prize. That's all I'll say about it (and all of the mentioned is indicated very early on so not spoilery).

If you like harems, I have a few good ones:
Sora no Otoshimono (Heaven's Lost Property). A rom-com harem that centers around a young high schooler and a girl that fell out of the sky. I love this because it's a very fluid story and it actually gets darker and edgier as it progresses.

Kore wa Zombie desu ka? (Is this a Zombie?).
Same deal as above. Protagonist is a zombie. His (new) roommate is a mute necromancer. Hilarity ensues. Also has a dark and edgy component to it but nowhere as bad as HLP.

What else...by title, no explanations:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (obvious)
My Mental Choices are interfering with my School Life! - NouCome(rom-com harem, this one is absurd)
Date a Live (rom com. Excuse plot. don't prioritize this one.)
Konosuba (Action, fantasy, comedy.)
Is it wrong to to try to pick up girls in a dungeon? - DanMachi (Action, fantasy, comedy. Worth it.)
BTOOOOM! (Action, violence. Kind of a horrifying story. Worth a watch)
Punch Line (Comedy, supernatural. I liked this one. It had just enough WTFery to keep me interested. Ending was sad.)

Just what I'd recommend, @Loliblade ver2.

I never thought I'd see anyone anywhere use "loli" in their username.

The Lolis are under my protection from the Bad Men. That is the essence of the blade.

If it makes you feel better, base it under "Lolita" to which I am a huge fan of. The fashion, not the book. Well also the book, but I haven't fully finished it yet.

The Lolis are under my protection from the Bad Men. That is the essence of the blade.

If it makes you feel better, base it under "Lolita" to which I am a huge fan of. The fashion, not the book. Well also the book, but I haven't fully finished it yet.

So basically you're the protector, the guardians of all young and little girls from the threat of evil hands? Sounds fine 👍

Also which type of Lolita do you like? Just curious because the most popular is Gothic Lolita, and that's the only one I know. Maybe you know more about this. A bit interested though :D

So basically you're the protector, the guardians of all young and little girls from the threat of evil hands? Sounds fine 👍

Also which type of Lolita do you like? Just curious because the most popular is Gothic Lolita, and that's the only one I know. Maybe you know more about this. A bit interested though :D

Not too familiar with other types, but for Goth lolis, a recent favourite would be:

225981.jpg

Head size proportion to eye size an bangs length are spot-on.

Minamiya Natsuki BTW. A witch who lays dormant as a guard to some magical prison. She creates an alternate version of herself to do her day work as a teacher using magic, but she creates a loli form of herself.

The coolest thing I've seen of her so far is that will all magical criminals she's ever captured and contained in said prison, that spell she casts on them remains active even if they break out.

Basically, so long as the spell's powers remains higher than theirs, they cannot break out. So at one point someone damaged the prison's barrier and some bad guys broke loose, because the barrier was weakened.

She hits them back with some stuff, weakens their powers enough that her spell becomes more powerful, bam magic kicks in, they get warped back to prison.

Coolest thing I've seen in a while.

I know mostly about Sweet, Gothic, and boystyle. Gothic is my favourite. I've done Gothic and boystyle myself.

Then there's the more unconventional ones like Guro, Ero, Punk, etc.

The girl is almost certainly Roma.

Yup, she is. The artist love to draw other Kancolle characters as well.

Not too familiar with other types, but for Goth lolis, a recent favourite would be:

225981.jpg

Head size proportion to eye size an bangs length are spot-on.

Minamiya Natsuki BTW. A witch who lays dormant as a guard to some magical prison. She creates an alternate version of herself to do her day work as a teacher using magic, but she creates a loli form of herself.

The coolest thing I've seen of her so far is that will all magical criminals she's ever captured and contained in said prison, that spell she casts on them remains active even if they break out.

Basically, so long as the spell's powers remains higher than theirs, they cannot break out. So at one point someone damaged the prison's barrier and some bad guys broke loose, because the barrier was weakened.

She hits them back with some stuff, weakens their powers enough that her spell becomes more powerful, bam magic kicks in, they get warped back to prison.

Coolest thing I've seen in a while.

Me too. One of my favorite character in Strike The Blood. She have good looks (kinda cute though) while her personality is cool, calm, collected, tough also quite badass too. Her magic powers are powerful too imo.

I know mostly about Sweet, Gothic, and boystyle. Gothic is my favourite. I've done Gothic and boystyle myself.

Then there's the more unconventional ones like Guro, Ero, Punk, etc.

Alright, thanks. Nice to know that you like Gothic style as well. Sweet is fine too I guess.

Last edited:
Hello, old stomping grounds. How has everyone been? What's the current big anime names going around? I'm very far out of the loop.

I see AOS and Dice up there, already feels like home again.

Persona 5 is amazing.
I watched BTOOM!
Uh
Some other shows probably. Like JoJo part 4 and... I'll get back with other thoughts and opinions. Can't remember what anime I've seen in my 2 year absence from this topic.

Planning HxH casual cosplay(Hisoka!) and P5 protagonist cosplay at the upcoming local con. If there's any Manitobans here I'll see you at Aikon! We have a Maid cafe. I'm the robot butler! It's a lot of fun.

The only other Manitoban here... is me. And I'll be there too! I'm cosplaying as a... uh, undead volunteer.

Yeah, got nothing here. Haven't done my part of watching anime, so I can't suggest anything. Or talk about anything interesting; that's what you're doing.

So after finishing all them Grisaia, I decided I'd now check out the goofy anime version.

I noticed they goofed up a scene where they pinned down the wrong arm on Kazuki... She's got a fractured left arm, which she later breaks after snuffing her attacker in the nose as a means to get them off her, but the attacker's accomplice was pinning down her right arm :lol:

So after finishing all them Grisaia, I decided I'd now check out the goofy anime version.

I noticed they goofed up a scene where they pinned down the wrong arm on Kazuki... She's got a fractured left arm, which she later breaks after snuffing her attacker in the nose as a means to get them off her, but the attacker's accomplice was pinning down her right arm :lol:

In the last scene of Rakuen where she has a metal robotic arm - she pulls it off, and plays the thing off as it had been a joke all along.

Need more anime like this in a recent days, already enough with harem, moe or fantasy genre (for myself at least) :

Welcome to the club, sir. You arrived late, but at least you seem to have made your homework.

In case you may not tell, I know Gunsmith Cats well. @Cano can also give a helping hand in telling you why it's awesome and why it deserved more than three meager (but very good) episodes and why you should also read the manga when you have the chance although it has quite a few VERY NSFW moments.
But I'm afraid the things you want stopped are precisely the reason why there aren't more shows like GC. The market is so cluttered with those genres there isn't demand from fans and/or interest from studios. And when you don't have either of those things, one can't really bring genres back from the dead like that.

So as far as new shows about buddy female cops/mercenaries, don't expect much for now. On the plus side, since the late '90s and early 2000's produced quite a few of those shows, there's always the time machine known as the Internet...

Halo: The (Idol)Masterchief Collection

Is this the future of Youtube? Seems fine to me (her channel is pretty good though)

Welcome to the club, sir. You arrived late, but at least you seem to have made your homework.

In case you may not tell, I know Gunsmith Cats well. @Cano can also give a helping hand in telling you why it's awesome and why it deserved more than three meager (but very good) episodes and why you should also read the manga when you have the chance although it has quite a few VERY NSFW moments.
But I'm afraid the things you want stopped are precisely the reason why there aren't more shows like GC. The market is so cluttered with those genres there isn't demand from fans and/or interest from studios. And when you don't have either of those things, one can't really bring genres back from the dead like that.

So as far as new shows about buddy female cops/mercenaries, don't expect much for now. On the plus side, since the late '90s and early 2000's produced quite a few of those shows, there's always the time machine known as the Internet...

Thanks for your explanation. It is quite sad that those kind of anime were gone, but I still have faith there is a chance to revive and some people that care for this kind of anime to stay alive, even though it is the only one title per season. For example, I found anime called "91 Days" at last year summer season and turns out enjoying it till the end because it offers something different than other anime that season, which is compelling story about gangsters and mafia (kind of tribute to Godfather) and that is my jam. As now, I still waiting for similiar anime (preferably action anime without magic and super powers, just pure fight with bare hands or guns, also some car chase would be nice) to see if that kind of stuff popped up again this year. So far not yet imo, but hope there is one. I guess I can enjoy whatever this season had for now (and sequels).

And about the Internet? I guess you right, already spend some good time nostalgia with browsing and watch some classic clips from the golden era of anime 👍

Thanks for your explanation. It is quite sad that those kind of anime were gone, but I still have faith there is a chance to revive and some people that care for this kind of anime to stay alive, even though it is the only one title per season. For example, I found anime called "91 Days" at last year summer season and turns out enjoying it till the end because it offers something different than other anime that season, which is compelling story about gangsters and mafia (kind of tribute to Godfather) and that is my jam. As now, I still waiting for similiar anime (preferably action anime without magic and super powers, just pure fight with bare hands or guns, also some car chase would be nice) to see if that kind of stuff popped up again this year. So far not yet imo, but hope there is one. I guess I can enjoy whatever this season had for now (and sequels).

Well the crime genre of anime isn't entirely wrong, but it's either the detective show kind (Detective Conan/Case Closed) or shows about living a life of crime, like 91 Days and Gangsta. I'd advise you to watch Gangsta if you enjoyed 91 Days, since it's also quite the gangster story. Nothing but rough dudes, fighting and gunplay, but the show itself is solid from what I've heard (I haven't watched it yet myself, mind you). It's a bit less elegant, but I'd say give it a shot nonetheless.

And if you can live with the idea of young girls shooting guns, give Gunslinger Girl a chance as well. It isn't really super power-based because they're trained assassins with a human side but some... " mechanical enhancements". Fights with bare hands and/or guns are aplenty (as well as one car chase or two). It's also very far from being moe, despite having female protagonists. In fact, without spoiling anything in special, it's quite the bloody contrary... (again, the manga is even worse in that aspect) :crazy:

Ah, and if you want something (somewhat) more similar to Gunsmith Cats but newer, Black Lagoon. Again, explosions, guns and shooting are frequent sights...

And about the Internet? I guess you right, already spend some good time nostalgia with browsing and watch some classic clips from the golden era of anime 👍

Which is how it should be used, really. 👍

Well the crime genre of anime isn't entirely wrong, but it's either the detective show kind (Detective Conan/Case Closed) or shows about living a life of crime, like 91 Days and Gangsta. I'd advise you to watch Gangsta if you enjoyed 91 Days, since it's also quite the gangster story. Nothing but rough dudes, fighting and gunplay, but the show itself is solid from what I've heard (I haven't watched it yet myself, mind you). It's a bit less elegant, but I'd say give it a shot nonetheless.

And if you can live with the idea of young girls shooting guns, give Gunslinger Girl a chance as well. It isn't really super power-based because they're trained assassins with a human side but some... " mechanical enhancements". Fights with bare hands and/or guns are aplenty (as well as one car chase or two). It's also very far from being moe, despite having female protagonists. In fact, without spoiling anything in special, it's quite the bloody contrary... (again, the manga is even worse in that aspect) :crazy:

Ah, and if you want something (somewhat) more similar to Gunsmith Cats but newer, Black Lagoon. Again, explosions, guns and shooting are frequent sights...

Which is how it should be used, really. 👍

Already watch Gangsta, unfortunately the studio went bust (thank you Manglobe for giving us cool anime like Samurai Champloo back then, really appreciate it) and as the result final episode is rushed and not satisfying imo. Have cool and catchy opening theme, the whole story is okay I guess. The blind man (Nicholas if I right?) is my favorite character there. Also the character design is suit to my liking.

For oldies like Gunsmith and Black Lagoon might catch those up later. Heard few things (not watch yet) about Gunslinger Girl, definitely not a moe show.

SVX
In the last scene of Rakuen where she has a metal robotic arm - she pulls it off, and plays the thing off as it had been a joke all along.
I JUST SAW THAT PART.

I am extremely shocked right meow.

Back