The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
All thoughts and prayers for the victims and relatives who involved in this horrific incident. What I can only hope is for the survivors to remain strong and wishes the best for the studio's future. đź‘Ť

Has there been any more word on the man who caused this.

The statement is not clear but in early report he said something like he got "ripped off" or "being plagiarized" as it is in Japanese those could mean anything. And so far no official confirmation which statement is true since the arsonist also got injured and taken to the hospital.

To be honest those who worked there for living didn't deserved this kind of act and it was such a cruel thing for one man anger could lead something to this. Very saddening. :(

In addition to donating to the Sentai Filmworks GoFundMe (which has been endorsed by GoFundMe to ensure the funds are properly used) others are recommending buying directly from KyoAni's web page store as product purchases directly help the studio and wont need to go through a network of litigation and potentially taxes.

So bittersweet news. Fire Force, wont be updating tonight in respect to the events that have unfolded.

It's one of my favorite shows of the season, but is exactly the wrong show to air so soon after what happened.

So bittersweet news. Fire Force, wont be updating tonight in respect to the events that have unfolded.

It's one of my favorite shows of the season, but is exactly the wrong show to air so soon after what happened.

So when would it be appropriate? And by the same token, should we delay, cancel or alter other fictive works depicting bad things? Should all fire related accidents or attacks in fiction be removed, or the shows featuring them, be delayed seeing as this is a daily occurrence in the real world, and thus its depiction will somehow be in poor taste? Do you think the victims of this incident care if the show airs now or later, or do you think they might be preoccupied with actual serious matters, such as their injuries and losses?

The notion that airing fiction that is not connected to real world incidents beyond sharing similar themes will somehow harm anyone is frankly absurd. Even more so when the solution to this supposed "harm" is delaying the given content an arbitrary number of days. As if that will change anything.

For the record. I've not seen Fire Force and have no intention to. I simply find the reason for its delay to be nonsensical.

So when would it be appropriate? And by the same token, should we delay, cancel or alter other fictive works depicting bad things? Should all fire related accidents or attacks in fiction be removed, or the shows featuring them, be delayed seeing as this is a daily occurrence in the real world, and thus its depiction will somehow be in poor taste? Do you think the victims of this incident care if the show airs now or later, or do you think they might be preoccupied with actual serious matters, such as their injuries and losses?

The notion that airing fiction that is not connected to real world incidents beyond sharing similar themes will somehow harm anyone is frankly absurd. Even more so when the solution to this supposed "harm" is delaying the given content an arbitrary number of days. As if that will change anything.

For the record. I've not seen Fire Force and have no intention to. I simply find the reason for its delay to be nonsensical.
There is no set number for this kind of thing. The action in and of itself is usually taken to express compassion and to not appear to be insensitive.

Fire Force is a Grimdark fantasy show involving a team of Pyronetic Fire Fighters that respond to people who spontaneously combust and turn into burning demon type creatures.

I think delaying a week or two at minimum is appropriate to allow their compatriots and their families to grieve.

The same is seen in Hollywood when films and series are delayed after tragic events. The Punisher after the Las Vegas shooting comes to mind, and there's an entire Wiki entry for everything that was impacted by September 11th.

There is no set number for this kind of thing. The action in and of itself is usually taken to express compassion and to not appear to be insensitive.

Fire Force is a Grimdark fantasy show involving a team of Pyronetic Fire Fighters that respond to people who spontaneously combust and turn into burning demon type creatures.

I think delaying a week or two at minimum is appropriate to allow their compatriots and their families to grieve.

The same is seen in Hollywood when films and series are delayed after tragic events. The Punisher after the Las Vegas shooting comes to mind, and there's an entire Wiki entry for everything that was impacted by September 11th.

There is similiar case years ago. Maybe some of us here remember or ever heard of "Nice Boat" memes which is actually about the delayed final episode of School Days anime and replaced with some kind of documentary of pretty river landscape with boat because similiar incident happened a day earlier which is a case of murder and the final episode of the anime also had similiar depiction as well. To be honest this such thing is a common practice in Japan to respect the victims and relatives while also not to traumatize them.

And that is why, when I have heard Fire Force next episode is delayed I'm not that surprised. Instead, it was good manner to respect those who lost their lives in KyoAni incident in my opinion. Just wait for next week and we back to the usual schedule that's it.

@Snaeper @bdj57

But it's all arbitrary and ultimately serves no purpose. You say it's to show respect to the victims and others otherwise affected by the incident, but what about the victims of any number of other tragedies? If we applied this logic consistently, we could never air any entertainment piece featuring murder, rape or other awful conduct out of fear of being insensitive to somehow who recently experienced such as thing. They are regular occurrences in life, and delaying or altering entertainment won't change that. Nor do I think the victims care about it, as they have real tangible issues to deal with.

Everything from how long to delay, what works to alter and which incidents should instigate such delays/alterations is entirely arbitrary, and brought on, I think, not by an earnest, if misguided, desire to inspire sympathy, but more so by wanting to put up the appearances of caring. It might seem very cynical of me, but it truly baffles me that anyone thinks this a genuine display of sympathy.

I'm well aware that this isn't the first time something like this has happened, and that this is a rather light approach as opposed to outright altering the piece in question. But this thread is the first time I've seen people actually defend the practice, which is why I was curious to see why you guys feel the way you do about it. Cheers for the responses.

@Snaeper @bdj57

But it's all arbitrary and ultimately serves no purpose. You say it's to show respect to the victims and others otherwise affected by the incident, but what about the victims of any number of other tragedies? If we applied this logic consistently, we could never air any entertainment piece featuring murder, rape or other awful conduct out of fear of being insensitive to somehow who recently experienced such as thing. They are regular occurrences in life, and delaying or altering entertainment won't change that. Nor do I think the victims care about it, as they have real tangible issues to deal with.

Everything from how long to delay, what works to alter and which incidents should instigate such delays/alterations is entirely arbitrary, and brought on, I think, not by an earnest, if misguided, desire to inspire sympathy, but more so by wanting to put up the appearances of caring. It might seem very cynical of me, but it truly baffles me that anyone thinks this a genuine display of sympathy.

I'm well aware that this isn't the first time something like this has happened, and that this is a rather light approach as opposed to outright altering the piece in question. But this thread is the first time I've seen people actually defend the practice, which is why I was curious to see why you guys feel the way you do about it. Cheers for the responses.

As a note the delayed anime just run for only 2 episodes so I doubt the delay was caused by any means of technical difficulties or some sort. Most likely it was the plot of the anime itself that had similiar depiction of the incident as cause of delay, often showing person or people burnt and engulfed in flames. Another point is the confirmation of the delay was announced a day after the incident which is perhaps strong indications as most people (including me) saying this delay is to give respect of this incident. I'm not saying it was the right thing or should be done to be honest but more like we knew what happened earlier then when delay was announced to specific show that had similiar depiction of the current event the evidence is quite clear and people will likely jumped into conclusions that this delay is related with ongoing event because there is no other reason to prove it.

I have understood if this incident happened outside Japan there is no need for delayed broadcast following the current event and you can say words like "show must go on". However, because the incident took place in Japan and most of us probably know people there had certain ethics and rules which other countries did not. People from outside Japan might wondering "what is the point of delay?" but for Japanese that is how the way they did it. It is part of their life attitudes.

That is all I could say and I also appreciate your argument and criticism as well. đź‘Ť:cheers:

I wonder what they aired in place of that time slot.

Guys, I need some advice about what this season's anime should I watch, any tips? Maybe something lighthearted might be great.

Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo.

Group of literature club girls facing the subject of sex, and how each of the 5 girls are dealing with embracing and accepting it in life.

The show itself is lighter than drama from what I've seen, but everyone struggling through it in awkward ways is what keeps it light for me.

Another eventual recommendation is SNAFU the 3rd.

Last edited:

Not expecting SSSS.Gridman to become a winner to be honest. But it is indeed a good mecha anime with surprising plot and well executed. Also, happy to see Girls Last Tour though it was the manga not the TV anime got the award. I saw Cells At Work being nominated though it could have win since it has good educational purpose and really focus on scientific aspect. Anyway, congrats for all winner. :cheers:

By the way I just added another one to my Spring watch list, Kanata no Astra. I wasn't interested at first but after watching three episode I saw a bit of potential from this one. The plot is simply described as how a group if teens would survive their lives in a vast outer space going from one planet to another. The story was not too gritty or dark as you might thought being survival anime but still enjoyable to watch. Also, if you enjoy Sket Dance manga or anime you might like this too since the creator of these titles was the same guy. Basically, the whole vibe you get watching Astra is similiar with Sket Dance that is what I felt somehow.

I recently got myself adequate exposure to Caramelldansen from Beat Saber to finally decide to look up what this was exactly.

I'm shocked that a single dance move repeated over the entire course of a song was enough creativity to get 30 million views.

Here's a recently announced duo that I find to be one of the coolest to date:

MVrcK0Q.jpg

It's two separate products joined at the base. Their feet don't touch the ground, and both strike a wicked pose.

I recently got myself adequate exposure to Caramelldansen from Beat Saber to finally decide to look up what this was exactly.

I'm shocked that a single dance move repeated over the entire course of a song was enough creativity to get 30 million views.
I have heard that song and seen that dance but went 11 years until today without having seen that video or having known the two were joined in origin.

I have heard that song and seen that dance but went 11 years until today without having seen that video or having known the two were joined in origin.

I loosely knew about the cat ear wiggle and hip shaking with fanart of people's favourite characters doing it in groups, but it's the repeated animation over the entire course of the song that has me lost for words.

I loosely knew about the cat ear wiggle and hip shaking with fanart of people's favourite characters doing it in groups, but it's the repeated animation over the entire course of the song that has me lost for words.

Speaking of Caramelldansen people won't noticed at first that was actually a single from Swedish musical group instead of Japanese as they expected only because the music had some strong Japanese vibe to it. Myself were also quite surprised when found the origins of this song to be honest.

Speaking of Caramelldansen people won't noticed at first that was actually a single from Swedish musical group instead of Japanese as they expected only because the music had some strong Japanese vibe to it. Myself were also quite surprised when found the origins of this song to be honest.

It's the horrid-looking anime-style characters that made me assume that, but yeah "caramelldansen" definitely doesn't sound Japanese, and the lyrics don't like it either.

I looked at it one more time and came across a version with misheard lyrics. I can't post that here, but it has definitely changed how I feel about this song now. :lol:

I came by to mention that Young Rance Kazuma is the second best protagonist ever.

BVsZoPz.png

The best protagonist is 8-man.

3kPhtQ8.png

Anyone here who has watched this classic anime before? I still really love watching it until now. Never gets old, to be honest.

images

I thought Wiseman's Grandchild was milquetoast Isekai garbage and then Isekai Cheat Magician said "Hold my beer". I dont know why I keep subjecting myself to these episodes but they make excellent sleeping aids.

Even the intro/OP is bland, generic fodder.

swirls his wine glass before sipping, adjusting his monacle after checking the pocket watch

I thought Wiseman's Grandchild was milquetoast Isekai garbage and then Isekai Cheat Magician said "Hold my beer". I dont know why I keep subjecting myself to these episodes but they make excellent sleeping aids.

Even the intro/OP is bland, generic fodder.

swirls his wine glass before sipping, adjusting his monacle after checking the pocket watch

Just accept that there is only one good isekai. Fortunately, Konosuba isn't just a good isekai, but one of the funniest animes ever made :)

Just accept that there is only one good isekai. Fortunately, Konosuba isn't just a good isekai, but one of the funniest animes ever made :)
You think I'm just gonna let you talk trash about Re:Zero like that?

And I loved Overlord and Shield Hero, too.

@Snaeper

Let's be objective about it, shall we? Emilia is goal oriented. She has witnessed and been the victim of systemic injustice in her world, and rather than mope about it, she decides to actively do something about it by leveraging what potential influence she has. She's not a self righteous ass who abstains from violence regardless of the circumstances, but she's also even tempered and only resorts to it when absolutely necessary. She does not fall head of heels for the protagonist just because he 's the main protagonist, but instead focuses on her overlying goal and on actually being a character, appropriately shutting him down after his 🤬-up at the court. She also has a cute smile and long beautiful hair, the latter of course putting her ahead of Rem even without the other factors :D.

What does Rem do? She too has faced great injustices, but chooses not to do anything about them beyond simply fixing the problems close to her. If she encounters anything that might be a threat, she immediately disposes of it with violence without any form of investigation. No need to collect evidence. Just smash. Yeah, her confession is sweet, but after that she becomes such a tool. Okay, I feel a bit horrible calling her that :P.

Emilia-Tan all the way.

Back