The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
It's past Halloween but:
Shinsekai Yori
The Promised Neverland

Wow I can't believe these blew over my head.

Yes give those two a go. SSY is not like the "ghost haunting a house" premise. It's more thrilling than that. Definitely recommend it, Nozomi!

Did somebody say Shiki?
Where's the Nami?
tumblr_n5tjbrZakM1rmrkv9o2_250.gif

Having watched it at least three times before with the Disney dub, I decided to rewatch the film version of Nausicaa last night with the original Japanese audio track.

Still find it an engrossing, balanced and visually appealing eco-fantasy with a bleak, yet hopeful premise and one of the best princesses in any piece of media I have seen. No matter how much Miyazaki initially disliked the ending, it never fails to leave me in tears.

A little quirk I noticed with my UK DVD copy is that the subtitles are based entirely on the Disney dub. Really surprised to find out how much had been added to the audio mix over the original version; have to say that I find the original dialogue to sound punchier and more concise by comparison. Wonder if the Miyazaki/Ghibli library will receive new dubs when they surface on HBO Max next year.

Went and saw the Konosuba movie in theatres.

Absolutely hysterical even though there were, at times, some moments that made viewing in a theatre with a group of people somewhat awkward. Definitely recommend it for Konosuba fans.

Went and saw the Konosuba movie in theatres.

Absolutely hysterical even though there were, at times, some moments that made viewing in a theatre with a group of people somewhat awkward. Definitely recommend it for Konosuba fans.

I'm jealous.

Bad news for all the Doki Doki fans (and another reason of why Instagram is better than twitter lol), Monika's twitter got suspended :( (reasons unknown)....

upload_2019-11-24_20-7-54.png

Ignore the WWE video screen lol

Returning to the main thing, whenever "her" twitter gets opened again (if it gets), I hope "she" can be more interactive, considering the personallity the devs gave her, making her a bit of an expected twitter junkie IMO.

After this excellent video popped up in my YT recs, I decided to start rewatching Kill la Kill:

This time, I'm watching dubbed. Satsuki's voice actress sounds a lot like Edelgard from Fire Emblem Three Houses, but apparently it's someone else.

Only a few episodes in so far, but the show's still great... the soundtrack alone elevates KLK above 90% of other anime, lol. Can't wait to get to the 2nd half of the show when things really kick into high gear.

ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me? has been fantastic. This season is fairly stacked with good shows and even the weaker ones are enjoyable but this has worked its way into one of my favorite high school and comedy animes of all time. Great character development and situational comedy. I have been enjoying the second season of Bokuben but it's firmly second place next to this.

I went to see Princess Mononoke with friends last night. It was a beautiful and speechless experience...

It's too bad Mononoke didn't make it to the attention of mature audience. I think this is why it didn't sell well in theaters back in the day.

ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me? has been fantastic. This season is fairly stacked with good shows and even the weaker ones are enjoyable but this has worked its way into one of my favorite high school and comedy animes of all time. Great character development and situational comedy. I have been enjoying the second season of Bokuben but it's firmly second place next to this.

Oresuki is more entertainment than most hare, because Pansy's intelligence creates a more thrilling drama, the amount of 4th wall breaks are great and they actually threw in the classic beach episode with the budget-cutting slideshow music video segment using the 7th episode no less.

The timing on the punchlines and surprises were within expectation, and honestly, I'm loving how we turn inanimate objects into anime meme characters.

It's too bad Mononoke didn't make it to the attention of mature audience. I think this is why it didn't sell well in theaters back in the day.
On its original Japanese release, Princess Mononoke was at one point the country's highest-grossing film ever (¥19.30 billion gross). Last time I checked, it is still the seventh highest-grossing film over there, so it was anything but a complete flop in the grand scheme of things. Still a shame that the US run never did as well as it could have done - even stranger when you consider how well the South Park film did despite being intended for similar audiences.

Last edited:
So I'm looking at Astolfo's new saber class outfit and, well, it's making me have strange feelings. :boggled:
Not sure what else to say really.

I did this on the biggest bloodbath Deresute has ever seen.

That's another one ticked off the bucket list. Only one or two things left that I want in this game...

So... Bunny Senpai Movie.

I finally watched it. And I am so happy I did. I think I can safely say Mai has dethroned Alisha from the Waifu tier list. Tears were had, but watching shows/movies like this remind me to go live a fulfilling life.

Anyone else watch it yet?

Also marathoned ReLife in a day. Also a great reminder to go live life without regrets, though the message of this show is likely more impactful for those who are in their mid-20s and above.

Got damn the Evangelion theme song motif is so ****ing catchy! I've gotta get my head all the way in and watch the Japanese with subtitles to get the true version of the show. Then the movies. What's the order of watching those? All of the important ones are on Netflix now right?

Got damn the Evangelion theme song motif is so ****ing catchy! I've gotta get my head all the way in and watch the Japanese with subtitles to get the true version of the show. Then the movies. What's the order of watching those? All of the important ones are on Netflix now right?
Cruel Angel Thesis is a classic anime song and I agree, it's super catchy!
Anyway, you should watch all of the 24 episodes of the original series first, then the movies

Of course, I'll have to check the movie release dates for which to watch first. That opening melody though. Love whistling it

Cruel Angel Thesis is a classic anime song and I agree, it's super catchy!
Anyway, you should watch all of the 24 episodes of the original series first, then the movies
It's 26 episodes... unless you're intentionally omitting the last two, because reasons. :lol:

Anyway, there's only one Evangelion movie that you "need" to watch @DesertPenguin, and that's End of Evangelion... and as the name suggests, you should watch it after you finish watching the show in its entirety. It is on Netflix, though the new English dub they did for it (and the show) is definitely a downgrade over the original.

The movie Death (true)2 is just a big recap of the events of the show that's meant to segue into End of Evangelion. Far from essential, but it's alright and only about an hour long, so watch it before End of Evangelion if you really want to.

The numbered movies (Evangelion 1.11, 2.22, 3.33) are a remake/reimagining of the show. They're pretty great in their own right and I'd recommend watching them, but I wouldn't say they're absolutely essential. The first movie is pretty faithful to the first handful of episodes, but each successive movie deviates further from the source material... 3.33 is radically different from the show. Unfortunately they aren't on Netflix, though.

Finished Demon Slayer the other day. The amount of hype around the fanbase let me down. I think I enjoy Attack on Titans more than Demon Slayer on the premise that there is a guise over the entire plot. Demon Slayer is pretty straight-forward in what it's telling and the gacha here are enemies of unfathomable power. I liked the foes, but am really turned off by the main character's personality.

Glorious and ginormous figure arrived.

VmNPIVPl.jpg

The cape is so heavy it is forever drooping. That flag is so ridiculous it is forever drooping. There's no clear spot where that support rod should be, and where the instructions say to put it, the rod doesn't even reach. lol why.

Glorious and ginormous figure arrived.

VmNPIVPl.jpg

The cape is so heavy it is forever drooping. That flag is so ridiculous it is forever drooping. There's no clear spot where that support rod should be, and where the instructions say to put it, the rod doesn't even reach. lol why.

Well, at least it looks great!
Speaking of, I've also bought a new figure! (Sorry for the low quality picture my phone can't do much better)

IMG_20191213_151036.jpg

(Yes, it's on my PS4 at the moment)
It's a SegaPrize Rimi from BangDream, simple and cute!
She also has her beloved chocolate cornet and it's quite detailed for a low-cost figure, I'm quite satisfied with the purchase.

I heard Pandora in the Crimson Shell wasn’t too great, can anyone confirm? Speaking of Masamune Shirow, what about Real Drive, was that any good? Or was Shirow more of a early burnout, with Appleseed, Dominion Tank Police, and Ghost in the Shell being the only works worth anything? (Especially with the assistance of the Mamoru Oshii-directed movie, for that last one.)

Just watched a video of TheAnimeMan listing his top 10 shows of this decade. If you had to pick your top 10 shows that was released in the last 10 years, what would they be?

My list (in no order):

Nichijou
Food Wars series
Steins;Gate
Haikyuu series
Oregairu series
Bunny Girl Senpai Movie
Ancient Magus Bride
Psycho Pass S1
Shinsekai Yori
Madoka

Honourable mention (also in no particular order):
Kids on the Slope
Classroom of the Elite
Kill la Kill
Land of the Lustrous
Parasyte
Kakegurui
Jojo's Bizarre Adventures
Space Brothers
Prison School
Hyouka (need to rewatch this)
Violet Evergarden
One Punch Man
Carole & Tuesday

@Lain Interested in seeing your list.

Last edited:
  1. Not Steins;Gate
  2. Not Steins;Gate
  3. Not Steins;Gate
  4. Not Steins;Gate
  5. Not Steins;Gate
  6. Not Steins;Gate
  7. Not Steins;Gate
  8. Not Steins;Gate
  9. Not Steins;Gate
  10. Not Steins;Gate

:P

I dunno, I’ll think about it and get back to you with an actual list. Haven’t been watching much the past few years though.

Edit: Managed to compile a list of 2010s anime, barely.

1. Kill la Kill
  2. Food Wars
  3. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
  4. Kids on the Slope
  5. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (slightly cheating since it started airing in 2009, but I think it still qualifies)
  6. One Punch Man
  7. Nichijou
  8. Angel Beats!
  9. No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
  10. Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions

Last edited:
Back