The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
DK
3.0+1.0 has been quarantined.
tumblr_n5tjbrZakM1rmrkv9o2_540.gifv

I got to ask, the best way to view Evangelion?

I got all 26 eps, but it still blows my mind how the eps went from little to BIG TIME story time.

I also got the films of 1.0 + 2.0 + 3.0 as well.

It was weird watching the first 1.0 + 2.0 as I was like.... this was the TV shows!

3.0 was just like.... WAT?!?!?!

I still don't understand 3.0.

DK
According to Anno, you'll need to watch 3.0 at least three times.

Eks
I'm really excited for Bleach's return. The quality of animation for the anime's final fight was stellar. I can only imagine what it'd look like now.

Dunno if it was confirmed yet, but here's hoping they get as many of the original VAs on board as they can. I'd like to see some of the classics from the soundtrack return as well. Hell Verse's OST is too good to let go to waste.

Man, gotta wait more on Eva for sure.

Btw, for @Eks I saw Bleach up to episode 300 I Think and then had to stop at that point, one due to my hard drive not having the space, the other due to not having the time to keep watching it! Wow, didn't realise it would continue to keep going and going (and I have no idea where it is at....).

Generally, this is a question for all of you interested....

What are the top ten, or twenty, Anime of history in your opinon? As currently I have a ton of time to just watch it.

I saw the following:

Kill La Kill (getting past all the fan service, it was an pretty good show I felt)
Evanglion and obviously I am waiting for the new film, but man. That creater didn't really make anything help to understand it. I have a feeling I missed something. Had the original episodes from 1-26, then straight to the films oif 1.1,2.2 + 3.1. I think. I don't think I caught End of Eva though....
Bleach to 200-300 episodes, the first 10-15 episodes were super powerful. The rest kinda got like a soap opera.
Death Note. I still need to finish it but I can't find it yet.... Super gripping for the first series.
Akira film, cityscape show was awesome to see. Manga was way way outside expectations.
Cowboy Bebop. Man. Jazz is awesome and yet so sad. And it really does mirror what life is. One episode I can't watch due to the haunting song.

I had a couple of others I've seen and rated but it hasn't come to my mind yet.

Man, gotta wait more on Eva for sure.

Btw, for @Eks I saw Bleach up to episode 300 I Think and then had to stop at that point, one due to my hard drive not having the space, the other due to not having the time to keep watching it! Wow, didn't realise it would continue to keep going and going (and I have no idea where it is at....).

Generally, this is a question for all of you interested....

What are the top ten, or twenty, Anime of history in your opinon? As currently I have a ton of time to just watch it.

I saw the following:

Kill La Kill (getting past all the fan service, it was an pretty good show I felt)
Evanglion and obviously I am waiting for the new film, but man. That creater didn't really make anything help to understand it. I have a feeling I missed something. Had the original episodes from 1-26, then straight to the films oif 1.1,2.2 + 3.1. I think. I don't think I caught End of Eva though....
Bleach to 200-300 episodes, the first 10-15 episodes were super powerful. The rest kinda got like a soap opera.
Death Note. I still need to finish it but I can't find it yet.... Super gripping for the first series.
Akira film, cityscape show was awesome to see. Manga was way way outside expectations.
Cowboy Bebop. Man. Jazz is awesome and yet so sad. And it really does mirror what life is. One episode I can't watch due to the haunting song.

I had a couple of others I've seen and rated but it hasn't come to my mind yet.

Honestly, skipping the fillers make it more manageable to finish. The Bleach manga actually finished in 2017 I believe, but the anime was cancelled in 2012. Head over to the Bleach subreddit and you'll find its return has been long, long awaited. :lol:

As for your question, personally I actually haven't seen that many anime. Elfen Lied is an interesting watch, to say the least. Blood+ is one of my all-time favorites as well (the soundtrack alone is fantastic). Inuyasha is a nostalgic treat - it was my first anime, thanks to Adult Swim at 5am.

If you've made it to episode 200/300 of Bleach, the four Bleach movies are actually pretty decent and you'll know what's going on.

I dunno, I have to rewatch or read the synopsis part of Bleach to actually figure out where I got to, cos it was draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagging on so much. I have to check out that subreddit I guess.

Apparently Aizin was a massive tease for SUCH A LONG TIME (holy crap I waited and had to wait) that it just fell apart for me then. They were sneaky......

I'll keep an eye out for:

Elfen Lied
Blood+
Inuyasha

@Eks

Wondering if @Lain would have suggestions as well?

Recommendations? Sure why not...

Monster - A realistic horror thriller involving a doctor who saves someone that turns out to be, well, a monster (figuratively speaking).

His and Her Circumstances - My favorite romance anime, directed by the same guy who did Evangelion. Unfortunately it completely falls apart towards the end due to various issues, but other than the lack of a satisfying ending, it's excellent.

FLCL - A 6 episode coming-of-age tale... if you can see past the overwhelming insanity. Worth watching for the incredible soundtrack alone.

Planetes - Realistic sci-fi anime about people whose job is to remove debris from Earth's orbit. If you're into space stuff, this one's great.

Capeta - Kart racing anime, pretty good.

Boogiepop Phantom - This one's just really freakin' weird and creepy, with an excellent soundtrack.

Serial Experiments Lain - Where my avatar comes from. Like the aforementioned Boogiepop, this one's a bit out there... but it has a more sci-fi slant, as opposed to Boogiepop's horror flavor.

Major - A six-season baseball anime chronicling the career of Goro Honda. Also has an ongoing second series called Major 2nd which is about Goro's son. Even if sports don't interest you very much, I'd still highly recommend trying at least the first 6 episodes to see if it grabs you... it's excellent.

Bokurano - A group of kids are tricked into a contract which forces them to pilot a mech to defend Earth. Relentlessly dark and depressing, so certainly not for everybody.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Inspired by the aforementioned Bokurano and has some very similar narrative beats, except the kids get tricked into becoming magical girls instead of mech pilots. It's a bit more fun to watch though, as it's less oppressively nihilistic.

Zipang - While in the middle of some Naval exercises, a modern Japanese destroyer somehow gets transported back in time to WW2, leaving the crew to try and figure out what to do. It's really good, but might be a bit dry if realistic military stuff doesn't interest you.

Les Misérables Shoujo Cosette - A straightforward anime adaptation of Les Misérables.. simple enough, but quite enjoyable.

Gankutsuou - An anime adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo, but with significantly more creative liberties than the aforementioned Les Misérables anime. Those liberties are mostly just aesthetic though... the core of the story remains pretty faithful to the source material, perhaps even moreso than the various Hollywood film adaptations of the story.

Last edited:

I pitched a similar question a page ago, about your top 10 of the last decade.

My list (in no order):
Nichijou
Food Wars series
Steins;Gate
Haikyuu series
Oregairu series
Bunny Girl Senpai Movie
Ancient Magus Bride
Psycho Pass S1
Shinsekai Yori
Madoka

Honourable mention (also in no particular order):
Kids on the Slope
Classroom of the Elite
Kill la Kill
Land of the Lustrous
Parasyte
Kakegurui
Jojo's Bizarre Adventures
Space Brothers
Prison School
Hyouka (need to rewatch this)
Violet Evergarden
One Punch Man
Carole & Tuesday

If we were to do of all time, I'd have to reference my MAL for this. but of course their page is down.

@Lain, the girls weren't tricked in Madoka. They didn't receive the info, nor was it asked.

Last edited:
@Lain, the girls weren't tricked in Madoka. They didn't receive the info, nor was it asked.

Sure, they didn’t ask about the details... but they’re kids though, so I’m still gonna say they were tricked. They were presented a choice with significant ramifications, they shouldn’t have needed to ask.

Kyubey might’ve told them if they had asked, but his choice not to tell them unless asked is a caculated bet that they wouldn’t ask

Last edited:
Still keeping up with Railgun T. It's still brilliant. They're up to episode 14 now.

Isn't it just great when everything gets back to normal again? Only this anime could start with someone's arm getting torn off and having dragons come out of it and end with all the in-series banter in the world. I do love this lot.

Though I do still have my reservations about Shokuhou. Mind control is my favourite superpower, but messing with people's memories has always seemed a little suspect to me. She's got good reason to do it in this case, but it's a little irksome when they recall something that happened only in their minds. Apart from making them think Misaka got sick. Because that was hysterical. Or, at least, Misaka's reaction to it was. She's still my very favourite of all the characters, so it's testament to how good the series is that I've still enjoyed the last three and a bit episodes, despite her essentially being '"absent"' from them.

I'm starting to get the itch to dive deep into animu again... manga/manhwa as well. Just started reading Tower of God, and while I'm not very deep into it yet, it's pretty fun so far. Also started reading Interspecies Reviewers, because why not? First volume wasn't hysterical, but was reasonably amusing. I'll probably continue onward, but there's no rush to start the 2nd volume. It seems like the kinda thing I can get around to whenever I feel like it, since there isn't some crazy plot (or any plot) I've gotta keep track of.

What are the top ten, or twenty, Anime of history in your opinon?

This is in no particular order..

• Turn A Gundam
  • Kara no Kyoukai
  • Ufotable's Fate animes/movies
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Big O
  • Trigun
  • Re;Zero
  • Konosuba
  • Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka
  • Arakawa under the bridge
  • Evangelion
  • FLCL
  • GTO
  • Hellsing Ultimate
  • Mnemosyne - I don't talk about this one much and this is one I highly highly recommend watching
  • Witch Craft Works
  • Oregairu
  • Black Lagoon
  • Blue Gender
  • Ghost in the Shell

This was harder than I thought it would be. There were some I wanted to include but couldn't for one reason or another so..

Honorable Mentions:
Jojo
Valvrave
Quite a few Gundams
Code Geass
Initial D / Wangan Midnight

Thank you @Lain , @AOS- @dice1998 and @Eks

For all those recommedations!

@dice1998 are you able to give any extra info on the ones you've chosen or the Honorable Mentions? I've seen Cowboy Bepop (awesome), Evangelion (I always feel like I miss an episode somehow) and FLCL, the (anime + live action) film of Ghost in the Shell but not the series (anime film was far better than live). Code Geass.... that got me.

I hadn't finished Death Note. Something happened for me to not finished it, think my work got in the way, but man, it was pretty gripping.

Got Initial D, it feels more of an adventure and more of a product of the time that happened to help expand the Fast and the Furious for sure to lead towards the Tokyo Drift, almost.

Started watching Beastars... only two episodes in, but I’m already loving it.

I’ve also started reading One Piece. Quite enjoyable so far, two volumes in.

Started watching Beastars... only two episodes in, but I’m already loving it.

Beastars ends up being quite enjoyable. The poster art ain't captivating enough. I need to get on S2 for a lot of unanswered questions.

Binged 5 Beastars episodes before heading into work today... so good. I'll probably finish it up when I get home. I was seriously contemplating trying to squeeze in another episode before work, but then I would've really had to rush (and probably skip showering). :lol:

Gotta commend the 3D animation in particular... it's not merely acceptable, it's actually quite fantastic. Easily better than a lot of cheap/rushed 2D animation. Of course I'll always love quality 2D animation, but I'm actually pretty excited to see 3D hit its stride... it seems like it could have some pretty huge benefits, such as increased fluidity and cost effectiveness.

I'll probably watch Land of the Lustrous next, since I've heard it's also pretty good looking.

Last edited:
Bad news.

A two-month delay to Railgun T now...but at least they picked an opportune moment to do it.

Oregairu has replaced Index/Railgun entirely for me now. Looking forward to the 3rd season.

Binged 5 Beastars episodes before heading into work today... so good. I'll probably finish it up when I get home. I was seriously contemplating trying to squeeze in another episode before work, but then I would've really had to rush (and probably skip showering). :lol:

Gotta commend the 3D animation in particular... it's not merely acceptable, it's actually quite fantastic. Easily better than a lot of cheap/rushed 2D animation. Of course I'll always love quality 2D animation, but I'm actually pretty excited to see 3D hit its stride... it seems like it could have some pretty huge benefits, such as increased fluidity and cost effectiveness.

I'll probably watch Land of the Lustrous next, since I've heard it's also pretty good looking.

I think it's a lot less effort to animate the deer antlers in 3D. Imagine all the angles they'd have to draw in for every scene he's in it.

And yes to Land of Lustrous. Watch it. Those two shows have well executed 3D animation.

Welp, just finished Beastars. Season 1, anyway... now I'm craving season 2.

I wasn't expecting...
...it to suddenly turn into Yakuza, but it sure did! Incredible. :lol:

Lots of questions leading into S2...

What's Louis's fate? Is he just a goner? Or maybe killing the Yakuza boss = becoming the new boss? Whatever the case, it seems he's almost certainly out of the running for Beastar, which begs the question...

Where's the whole Beastar race ultimately going? Is our lovable doofus Legosi somehow gonna find himself a contender? Were that the case, Yakuza parallels would certainly intensify... but perhaps Ms. Tasty Eggs is gonna lay her way to the top? Or maybe that'd be Haru... lol probably not, but surely it won't be Juno, right? And maybe I'm writing off Louis too early... then again, the adults are super corrupt which kinda makes the whole thing a clusterduck. Who knows!

Oh, and let's not forget this small little question: Uh, who ate Tem? That ending was rather ominous too, and seemed to hint at Bill going off the deep end... so perhaps it was him who ate Tem?

Last edited:
Welp, just finished Beastars. Season 1, anyway... now I'm craving season 2.

I wasn't expecting...
...it to suddenly turn into Yakuza, but it sure did! Incredible. :lol:

Lots of questions leading into S2...

What's Louis's fate? Is he just a goner? Or maybe killing the Yakuza boss = becoming the new boss? Whatever the case, it seems he's almost certainly out of the running for Beastar, which begs the question...

Where's the whole Beastar race ultimately going? Is our lovable doofus Legosi somehow gonna find himself a contender? Were that the case, Yakuza parallels would certainly intensify... but perhaps Ms. Tasty Eggs is gonna lay her way to the top? Or maybe that'd be Haru... lol probably not, but surely it won't be Juno, right? Maybe I'm writing off Louis too early too... and then again, the adults are super corrupt which kinda makes the whole thing a clusterduck. Who knows!

Oh, and let's not forget this small little question: Uh, who ate Tem? That ending was rather ominous too, and seemed to hint at Bill going off the deep end... so perhaps it was him who ate Tem?
I rewatched Louis's flashback story several times, and it's not obvious what kind of mission his foster father was bestowing upon him, but it would seem obvious enough that Louis's goal was to shift the society's view that herbivores can be as strong, if not stronger than carnivores. With him killing off the Shishigumi boss, I feel he's going to take his mission outside of school and whatever this Beastar pageant game is. I also feel like he lived just long enough to see himself become a villain of his own values.

I've found it interesting how the major characters all aim to bring animal equality through their own means.

Louis by trumping all carnivores by acquiring Beastar status.
Juno by showing not all carnivores are bad and should be looked up to differently. Juno's role is complete.
Legoshi and Haru breaking stigmas about interracial relationships.

Not going to lie, by the end of the first ep, I seriously thought they were suggesting that an uncontrolled Legoshi was the one who ate Tem. We may have a culprit next season, but if not, I can live accepting that the purpose of Tem's death was to establish the society inequality struggle of Herbivores always feeling the most uneasy living with carnivores who are all fully capable of killing others out of instinctual drive.

I rewatched Louis's flashback story several times, and it's not obvious what kind of mission his foster father was bestowing upon him, but it would seem obvious enough that Louis's goal was to shift the society's view that herbivores can be as strong, if not stronger than carnivores. With him killing off the Shishigumi boss, I feel he's going to take his mission outside of school and whatever this Beastar pageant game is. I also feel like he lived just long enough to see himself become a villain of his own values.

I've found it interesting how the major characters all aim to bring animal equality through their own means.

Louis by trumping all carnivores by acquiring Beastar status.
Juno by showing not all carnivores are bad and should be looked up to differently. Juno's role is complete.
Legoshi and Haru breaking stigmas about interracial relationships.

Not going to lie, by the end of the first ep, I seriously thought they were suggesting that an uncontrolled Legoshi was the one who ate Tem. We may have a culprit next season, but if not, I can live accepting that the purpose of Tem's death was to establish the society inequality struggle of Herbivores always feeling the most uneasy living with carnivores who are all fully capable of killing others out of instinctual drive.

Given that the show quickly moves focus away from the Tem question early on, I also thought it might just be meant to establish the societal struggles... but it seemed like the show was keeping the issue warm on the backburner 'till the very end, so I get the feeling that there will be answers eventually. It's pretty up in the air as far as who it could've been though... I've even half-jokingly considered whether it might've been an herbivore like Louis. Given his dark backstory, it at least seems like it could be on the table! But that's probably too much of a stretch, heh.

Realistically, it's probably Bill or Legosi, though I'd think Legosi would be torn up about it if it was him. So unless Legosi was so far gone that he had no recollection of the incident (and there was somehow no aftermath such as bloody clothes to clue him into the fact that it was him), I'm leaning much more towards Bill. We know that he's indulging his carnivore desires via black market blood, so it's reasonable to think he might've overindulged at some point. And he seems like the kinda guy who'd have no remorse about it, given his clashes with Legosi/Louis.

It could wind up being a total curveball like Juno or something though.

Last edited:
Bahaha I stumbled across Gundam Wing Endless Waltz, a film I watched 20 years ago. I loved gundams back in the day but didn't follow the storyline whatsoever.

How rich do you have to be to dig out a whole facility out of an asteroid, attach booster rockets on it, and send that along with 4 highly sophisticated nuclear powered mobile suits inside towards the sun to "dispose" of?

The backstory of it is that war had ended between people on earth and people who have established colonies in space. No war = peace = no need for weapons. Makes sense.

Later on the good guys find out there was a colony who hasn't actually settled for peace and basically triggers another war. One of the good guys hop into a ship to chase down that asteroid to retrieve those suits. Guy makes his way in but has no way to really steer the ship. So you do what everyone in every other space movie does: Blow up a part of the ship to change its trajectory. Brilliant. How he doesn't lose oxygen from whatever gaping hole there should've been, I do not know. But here's the kicker. As the asteroid is rotating from the propelling force of the explosion on one end, he detonates more infrastructure (what looks to be a generator/turbine), and suddenly the ship has completely stopped rotating, is traveling directly back towards earth, and the thrusters for some reason have doubled in power. This just blew my mind as to what exactly happened. :lol:

Maybe the turbine was part of a limiter on the nuclear power generated, and by crushing that, all thrusters could basically fry itself in overdrive. And it wouldn't matter anyway so long as it built up enough kinetic energy to escape the sun's gravitation force and come back to Earth.

And Wing Zero with bird wings..... to flap around in space.... Honestly... it's cool. But come on....

It's a damn shame we only got so little battle time with these suits you don't see in any other GW show or OVA. Heero sinking his suit into the water just to

What's interesting though is that in the 3-part OVA that came out in 1997, they actually added more bits in the theatrical release a year later.

Edit: Oh wow.... If you ever watch it, find the theatrical. Forget the OVA. It leaving out some of the scenes is just unacceptable.

@MHPALA

On that day, humanity received a grim reminder.

...which reminds me, I haven't even seen AoT S2 yet.

DK
On that day, humanity received a grim reminder.

...which reminds me, I haven't even seen AoT S2 yet.
I haven't even seen AoT S1 yet. :lol:

Watched the first episode of No Guns Life yesterday, s'alright... kinda has a Trigun feel to it, except with neo noir flavor instead of western.

I haven't even seen AoT S1 yet. :lol:

Oh yeah? Well I don't even know what AoT is!

JK. I haven't watched S2 yet. The manga fell to the wayside at some point in time for me and never bothered picking it back up.

But I hear S3 being the final is going to wrap things up rather well. I'll consider it if I can't muster the energy to give Lain a second go.

A poignant reminder of how far Honoka's looks have come.

I know, right? Back then the artstyle was so different, not to mention there were only nine idols.
Now there are 37 of them, AFAIK :cheers:
(Also wow, the CGI during the dance sequences in the older MVs didn't age well)

Back