The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
I've just started on Diamond Is Unbreakable, I had no idea Okuyasu has a 40-year-long smoking habit,

I am still waiting for Heaven's Feel III..... Though VRV has a good collection of anime. Currently, I am watching Gran Blue Fantasy and Patlabor series.

2i6o144rg4451.png

I wish I didn't cash out on my TOM points so soon. I already felt the negative return on investment with Teresa the moment I grabbed her.

Last edited:

I wish I didn't cash out on my TOM points so soon. I already felt the negative return on investment with Teresa the moment I grabbed her.

Well there goes more money on Miku but a very nice presentation figure, up to 22 pre-orders for Miku figures now!

With all the crazy stuff happening in the world, I've been temporarily drained of my motivation to watch any new anime these past couple weeks... but I've recently started tumbling down the rabbit hole of anime reactions these past few days, which has led me to rewatching Cowboy Bebop and Kill la Kill... some episodes multiple times. And now I'm rewatching Monster and GTO.

Fortunately it seems to be a rather shallow hole (for me at least), since there isn't a whole lot of quality reaction channels... and of the ones that are decent quality, they're either mostly reacting to stuff that doesn't interest me and/or reacting to newer shows that I haven't seen yet. Not a lot of reactions for older anime except for the most popular ones... not likely to find any Planetes or Zipang reactions, for instance.

Probably my favorite reaction channel I've found so far is Semblance of Sanity. And they've just started reacting to Beastars, so I guess the rabbit hole gets a little deeper... wait, uhhhh... :lol:

What reaction channels have you found? Most don't even show the episode or have it so low you're not even watching and they assume you know everything that's happening already.

Unfortunately those problems are somewhat unavoidable due to copyright law and/or how it's enforced on YouTube.

Semblance of Sanity, Blind Wave and The Normies show footage, but they heavily edit it down to about 10 minutes of footage per episode rather than showing the full thing. Can be a blessing in certain cases if it's a slow paced show such as Monster, but can be a little annoying too. And while I personally haven't had any issues with being able to hear shows, volume levels will pretty much universally skew towards having the show quieter than those doing the reacting... partly because the reaction is the main draw of this kind of content, and partly to make it harder for YT's algorithms to automagically slap it with copyright claims. Using a decent pair of headphones might help with hearing things more clearly though.

The best they can do while keeping things legal is full-length reactions where they don't include any video or audio from the show/movie, but instead display a timer so that you can synchronize your own copy of the show to their reaction. That way you can also freely adjust the audio levels of each individually, if you'd prefer to hear the show better. But unfortunately those channels I previously mentioned all demand a premium $10 monthly contribution on Patreon for access to this full-length timer-based format... though at least in the case of Semblance of Sanity, their Kill la Kill reaction on YouTube uses this format and is free to view. Possibly some of their other older reactions do too.

Nevermind then heh... The reactions are fun for a time but it's just to vicariously relive a show through someone else. I'm all caught up on JoJo Dub and I found some channel Blinky that has her dad watch it. That's a bit fun. They skip around a bit but I think that's because there is a lot of downtime between fights on that show. They have the whole thing visible but with a watermark that's not too bad.

I also watched YaBoyRoshi's reactions to Dragon Ball Super after finishing that. He popped up because he has the most views of the DBS reaction channels. They were very energetic with their reaction and it made it a lot of fun to watch again.

This is really for people that don't have anime friends to watch this stuff with :lol:

This is really for people that don't have anime friends to watch this stuff with :lol:

Heh, pretty much. It's to live out the ultimate fantasy of telling your friends that they NEED to watch a certain show, then they actually watch it.

For Shih Tzus and giggles, I might take a stab at doing reactions myself... can't imagine my commentary/reaction would be even remotely entertaining, but at the very least it might motivate me to watch more anime.

Last edited:
Any good ones for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Cowboy Bebop?
Blind Wave and The Normies both have Bebop reactions that I thought were pretty enjoyable. They also have FMA:B reactions as well, but I haven't watched those yet.... they both finished the show though, so I assume they at least liked it.

GTPlanet's new search engine has a cool feature... you can see what users have used the searched term the most.

Unfortunately, this has led me to discover that I'm apparently GTP's #1 Steins;Gate fan. By a pretty wide margin, too... :ill:

Vu30DDY.jpg

Last edited:
Ironically I just finished watching a show about two individuals letting go of past relationships and moving on with their lives.

Some of those dudes have fully moved on.

But Lain, for someone who didn't like the show all that much, what brought about setting that record?

Not much to it, just became a bit of a humorous gag for me to take potshots at Steins;Gate at every opportunity I could.

Because Steins;Gate sucks. :P

Well for the first time in a long while I am actually looking forward to watching a new show albeit it will be when the english sub or fan-subs of it become available, the series English translation is Rent-a-Girlfriend but I like the idea of the story and looking forward to seeing how it plays out over the 12 episodes.

Not that I'm aware of, but I can't say I've been keeping tabs on it... haven't watched any Blame.

Anywho, I've finally embarked on a legendarily heroic mission of galactic proportions: I've started watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and shall attempt to have it finished by the end of July (along with 13 other shows... one of which rhymes with Kleins;Plate). I did an oopsie though and watched the first episode... apparently you're supposed to watch the movie Overture to a New War instead of the first two episodes. Also there's My Conquest is the Sea of Stars which is a prequel movie of sorts, so I guess I'll go back and watch those movies then pick the series back up... I'll probably still watch episode 2 for comparison's sake though.

Here's my crazy 10 episode a day schedule for July and the remainder of June:
EWAxBrc.png

Yep, I'll be rewatching Steins;Gate to give it an opportunity to sway my opinion. Despite what my contant trash talking of S;G (intended to be playful) might suggest, whenever I end up disliking a show or movie, I always keep in mind that it's entirely possible that I just wasn't in the right mood or frame of mind to enjoy it. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean I give everything a second chance or that my opinion will change in the event that I do, but I figure that Steins;Gate's enduring popularity warrants giving it another look with as much of an open mind as I can muster. Maybe I should try the dub this time, or is that a terrible idea?

Last edited:
Wow 3+ hrs of TV every day. Hats off to you. Only on really slow days do I blow through 10 episodes of Chihayafuru (yesterday) in one go.

I once met a snob that speaks of LotGH like it's the bible, and still haven't put in the effort to give that show a watch. Let me know how that goes.

Maybe I should try the dub this time, or is that a terrible idea?

I wonder if they had to change the "I am mad scientist" scene if it's dubbed.
Edit: Just YouTubed it. They really did change the dialogue entirely.

June 24th goals have been met... I'm now effectively 2 episodes into Legend of the Galactic Heroes, 3 episodes into Carole & Tuesday, and 4 episodes into Land of the Lustrous.

Enjoying all three shows quite a bit, though I will say that Lustrous didn't get its hooks fully into me until episode 4. Quite the cliffhanger though, has me very excited to continue it. Carole & Tuesday is just an absolute joy (does it take place in the Bebop universe?), and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is quite epic and seems like it might actually live up to its lofty reputation.

Last edited:
Hoo boy, apparently Trigger is making a Cyberpunk 2077 anime. That's gonna be so good... when it comes out in 2022. :(

Holy 🤬, apparently the soundtrack's being done by Akira Yamaoka (of Silent Hill fame) too. Damn, I'm more excited for the anime than the game. :lol:

If I'm able to successfully complete my goals for July, I'll probably extend it into August and focus on catching up on all the Trigger stuff since Kill la Kill.

Last edited:
Hoo boy, apparently Trigger is making a Cyberpunk 2077 anime. That's gonna be so good... when it comes out in 2022. :(

Cyberpunk as an anime as well? Interesting development since it brings back memories of my first ever anime I watched Bubblegum Crisis 2040 so I will have to check that one out.

Should I watch Kill La Kill, I've played demo of the recent PS4 game and really got interested in the characters.

Cyberpunk as an anime as well? Interesting development since it brings back memories of my first ever anime I watched Bubblegum Crisis 2040 so I will have to check that one out.

Should I watch Kill La Kill, I've played demo of the recent PS4 game and really got interested in the characters.
Oh yeah definitely, Kill la Kill's great. It's a bit divisive since some people just can't get past the fanservice and skimpy outfits, but you'll be fine if the outfits didn't bother you in the game.

I haven't seen Bubblegum Crisis 2040, but I do remember seeing a trailer for it as a kid. Seemed interesting, I'll probably check it out at some point.

Alright, just wrapped up Land of the Lustrous. Or should I say Land of the Frustrous, thanks to that non-ending... they give you enough interesting lore to tickle you, but then they never scratch that itch with a payoff. I guess the fact that the manga's still ongoing is mostly to blame, but still.

I did enjoy it though. Not enough to seek out the manga to continue the story, but if they ever happen to make a 2nd season, I'd check it out. The premise was fascinating, characters were likeable, action was pretty sweet, and comedy was pretty good too.

That said, I'm enjoying Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Carole & Tuesday a lot more. Still relatively early days for LotGH since I'm only 9 episodes deep, but it's very impressive so far. As far as Carole & Tuesday is concerned, I'm just shy of the halfway point with 11 episodes under my belt. I'm absolutely loving it so far, especially this Animerican Idol section... and Tuesday's family issues have suddenly come into the picture in dramatic fashion, so I'm very interested to see where that's going.

Finished off the first season of Chihayafuru.

Chihaya's goals are so simply laid out that its struggle and end are more than likely predictable. With that many seasons to go through, watching for the grind to Queen ranking may be unsurprising if you've watched any other sports show with a simple protagonist looking no where else other than to be the best.

I'm thinking that how Taichi's world plays out through the later seasons is what will keep me watching this. With Karuta not being a real passion (yet), the signs that he's invested in the sport for the sake of his love interest, as well as a controlling mother to deal with...
I think Taichi's going to quit Karuta at some point and move on with his life, after he finally gives up on Chihaya since she only has eyes for Arata. My ideal ending.

Or maybe Taichi and Chihaya end up together because of the amount of time spent together that Arata's presence and energy just can no longer trump.I think I'd be okay with that too.

Back