The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
RWBY has ended another volume in a cliff hanger. The community is really sad that some characters "apparently" died but oddly is ending up like Kingdom Hearts. I pray that this series is given a movie soon.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Did someone else make another TGAT?

That'd be me responsible for that!

Not that I'm a mod but I filed a report to ask if the two threads could be put together to avoid confusion and have separate discussions about same thing.

I haven't really watched much new anime in recent years due to spending too much time in video games but I did like Rent-a-Girlfriend last year and Super Cub in the 2021 anime season looks like it might be an interesting one.

Do still spend a lot of time playing anime video games though, latest one is Atelier Ryza 2...

@Lain

BEASTARS S2 is out.

No idea if Louis's coming back or not. They've already diverted our attention to something outside of the whole carnivore vs herbivore political war for now
Now that it's finished airing, I've finally started watching it... currently 2 episodes in.

They answer the Louis question pretty quickly, and the answer has me excited... the trajectory feels very much like a Yakuza game's storyline, which I'm all for. And it's nice to see them also set the stage for how Legosi might wind up becoming the Beastar... and it's by tying it to resolving the Tem question, which feels like a promise that'll get answered. Eventually.

I also binged season 2 of Dr. Stone which was good, but not as good as season 1. I do like where things are headed by the end of the season though, so I'm very much hoping they make a 3rd season. If not, I guess I'll need to read the manga.

Now that it's finished airing, I've finally started watching it... currently 2 episodes in.

They answer the Louis question pretty quickly, and the answer has me excited... the trajectory feels very much like a Yakuza game's storyline, which I'm all for. And it's nice to see them also set the stage for how Legosi might wind up becoming the Beastar... and it's by tying it to resolving the Tem question, which feels like a promise that'll get answered. Eventually.

I also binged season 2 of Dr. Stone which was good, but not as good as season 1. I do like where things are headed by the end of the season though, so I'm very much hoping they make a 3rd season. If not, I guess I'll need to read the manga.

I finished Beastars S2 a week ago. Pretty nice. Kind of glossed over some things and I heard lots of good bits of the manga weren't included, likely the time restraint to tell the story in one cour.

I was originally going to watch Dr.Stone, but I'm seeing several people commenting about how it was rather meh. Perhaps people had cool expectations of what the show could provide, and didn't meet that.

I was originally going to watch Dr.Stone, but I'm seeing several people commenting about how it was rather meh. Perhaps people had cool expectations of what the show could provide, and didn't meet that.
There are one or two exceptionally weak episodes halfway through S1 and the odd stumble in S2. Otherwise it shouldn't ruin what is a solid shounen comedy with a great cast that works best when it doesn't take things seriously.

@Lain S3 was confirmed at the end of the final Stone Wars episode.

I finished Beastars S2 a week ago. Pretty nice. Kind of glossed over some things and I heard lots of good bits of the manga weren't included, likely the time restraint to tell the story in one cour.

Just finished Beastars S2, and yeah I can see what you mean. It kinda felt like they were rushing to put a bow on it, similar to Land of the Lustrous... though not nearly as severe. I'm actually reasonably satisfied with this as a potential stopping point for the anime, though I hope they continue with it since there's 10 more volumes of the manga to cover. But as things are, they've resolved most of the currently established plot threads. Pretty much just the stuff surrounding the Beastar title remains to be dealt with, and I think that's OK to be left ambiguous.

There are one or two exceptionally weak episodes halfway through S1 and the odd stumble in S2. Otherwise it shouldn't ruin what is a solid shounen comedy with a great cast that works best when it doesn't take things seriously.

@Lain S3 was confirmed at the end of the final Stone Wars episode.

Yeah I saw the "To be continued...", but I'll believe it when I see it. :lol:

I don't think this counts, but I've been watching a bunch of the VTubers out there like Nyanners and Snuffy. There's just something about watching animated avatar girls laughing at the most ridiculous things (with some beverage substance involved) that gets me in a good mood :)

I've just started JoJo Part 5 (Golden Wind). I can't remember laughing at a show's choice of ending theme before. :lol:

Space Pirate Captain harlock.You're old if you know this. 😁
8350e590d80e500f65be2ee36b8672d1.jpg

Last edited:
Well I've been meaning to do it for awhile but I finally went and subscribed to Crunchyroll's anime sreaming/download service with no ads for the next 12 months since there are quite a few new shows this year I am genuinely interested to see.

I did a coin toss between it and Funimation's catalogue but Crunchyroll seem to have a lot more of the content I used to watch on DVD/vhs tape so went with them.

Now just need to fit a couple of hours of anime into my busy weekly schedule...🙃

I am suprised you did not go to VRV; its the same price but without the manga section.
Did not know about that one tbh but I wanted to have both manga and anime so happy with the purchase.

Not decided what to watch yet but I shall get onto that shortly.

DK
BTW, Eva 3.0+1.0 is coming to Prime on the 13th of August, GET HYPED.
Thank you! 👍

I have not watched Evangelion in a long time and I am currently subscribed to Prime so I guess I will mark the calendar and check out the series again, for an Asuka 'fan boy' I have ignored this series for way too long! Time for an avatar change for a bit I think...

Finished watching Season 2 of Beastars.

Now I really despised Season 1, the love rectangle plot with Legoshi, Louis, Haru and Juno that took over the season was a pain to sit through. Especially when the early episodes were far more interesting with the drama club and the who done it murder mystery (more like devouring mystery I guess), it was annoying seeing them be big deals at the start only to instantly take a backseat for the love rectangle. Louis and the Panda were the only 2 characters I liked in Season 1 with Legoshi being boring while Haru and Juno are just awful.

I was expecting Season 2 to be some massive dumpster fire similar to Season 1, only kept going out of curiosity more than anything so I was surprised to see myself enjoying Season 2 for the most part.

The Premise of Episode 1 finally takes back the wheel and the love rectangle while I think evolved into a love pentagon due to a new character took a back seat. Legoshi now able to breathe from being a love sick puppy over Haru 100% of the time (reduced to 50%) and I quite enjoy Legoshi, he reminds me of those loner but really deep character's but with the self awareness of that doesn't make you look cool and make people like you. Granted he has no motivation to even tackle the mystery, I guess protecting Haru could be one but they never explain it and it looked like he only did cause he was told to by a Snake. Louis continues to be my favourite character in this show and is a constant pleasure with his struggles of his upbringing and trying desperately to prove himself to an impossible standard he sets for himself while being sick of every one elses BS. I liked that they revealed the villain halfway into Season 2 instead of the end like most shows and movies do. It gave us time to show off the new character dynamics brought up by the reveal and it waa a predictable twist anyway so I'm glad it wasn't dragged.

I had 2 problems, 1: the seasonal format doesn't work for this show at all. I know its based on the Manga but a lot of moments have no weight because the 12 episode a season restriction gives us no time to explore enough. There was a moment with 2 characters that was supposed to be touching but there is no weight to the characters cause we had no episodes dedicated to them, then we had an episode where some of it was spent on 2 girls shopping. If you replaced the girls with the 2 characters and had the shopping before the supposed touching moment the it would've had an impact. Beastars really needed to be a weekly show with filler episodes exploring the minor cast (which is a massive Hottake I know). Before the climax you had Legoshi reminiscent about a few characters nut we rarely see them enough to matter and are mostly just told stuff after the fact.

2: The ending. I struggled to figure out what was the end goal here. It seemed like they tried to show similarities between Legoshi and the villain and have the villain end up on some path on redemption but I don't think this level of grey works. I think the underlying message of the finale was "Take responsibilty for what you are but use it in a positive matter like protecting". But I'm not too sure with all the grey areas making it needlessly complicated. If that was the message they were going for, the villain would've been better as a black and white villain with no redemption arc as an obstacle for Legoshi and Louis to overcome, not lecture. It tried too hard to be deep and thought provoking but would've been better if it was made simple if you ask me. The only message/symbolism I liked was with Louis and how what happened to him rounded off his mental journey as he releases a burden from himself.

Overall I think Season 2 while a massive improvement over the terrible Season 1 was merely ok. Loved a lot of stuff but the ending and needing to be unnecessarily complex massively weighed it down.

Last edited:
Finished watching Season 2 of Beastars.

I shared my thought of Beastars S2 as well as Lain some pages ago.

IIRC, my take on the show has largely been figuring out how the system and lifestyle should work in this world of different animals coexisting with one another.

It’s crazy that 3.0+1.0 drops in less than two weeks... supposedly there will be an English dub, though AFAIK it hasn’t been confirmed whether the original cast will be reprising their roles or not. I don’t imagine they’d use the Netflix NGE/EoE dub cast, but who knows...

I shared my thought of Beastars S2 as well as Lain some pages ago.

IIRC, my take on the show has largely been figuring out how the system and lifestyle should work in this world of different animals coexisting with one another.
For me I don't dive into world building that much in shows. I only need to know enough to understand the characters and where they come from which it does well for Louis entire character arc.

The Characters themselves take priority for me as Beastars was very hit and miss and almost completely missed at both season 1 entirety and season 2 ending with Louis being the one positive quality

Apparently all four Rebuild movies go up on Prime Video at midnight CST, so in just under 14 hours. And the Amazon dub cast for the movies is about 50% the same as the Funimation dub, if we give extra weight to the main characters... most of the major characters see their voice actors return (Shinji, Asuka, Gendo, and Misato AKA the only one that really matters), but there's some new ones too. And the original English NGE voice actress for Rei (Amanda Winn Lee) returns, which is pretty neat... though I thought Brina Palencia did a fine job, so I would've been just as happy to see her return.

As tempting as it is to rewatch 1.11-3.33 now so that I can dive into 3.0 + 1.01 right at midnight, I'm curious enough about the new dubs for the first three movies to delay that gratification...

That feeling when you have to contribute to Bezo's Shiny Space Phallus Mid-Life Crisis to watch 3.0+1.0.
1628943199748.png

And here...we...go.
16290526334267766633315258970859.jpg

I've honestly got butterflies in my stomach right now.

Latest Posts

Back