The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
Well...that hit different. I guess I should've watched it on Friday rather than get distracted thinking about it while at work.

I couldn't have imagined it ending like this, never mind coming up with such a satisfying resolution because it'd just be ASUKAWINSANDGETSBIGBOOBBRITGFLOL. Even with all of the spoilers I encountered since it first released, I still wasn't ready.

Last edited:
Overall I liked it, though I think I’ll need to rewatch it a few more times…

There’s also a documentary on Amazon Prime about the making of the film, titled Hideaki Anno: The Final Challenge of Evangelion, worth checking out.

OK, since it's a rare, beautifully sunny Feliz Jueves, I guess I'll give my thoughts on 3.0+1.0.

I'd give it a 9/10. My biggest gripe is the clunkiness of the 3D scenes, it was just so jarring, with one scene in particular standing out.

As a final send-off to Eva, I can't find any fault with it. Everyone who mattered had their stories wrapped up satisfactorily. OK, I would've liked to know how the hell Asuka overcame the "mental contamination" she suffered in 2.0, how she reacted to the news of her Eva getting piloted and wrecked by someone else, why she plays a WonderSwan instead of a GameBoy (OK, I guess Nintendo would've said no, or Anno's hoarded a crap-ton of them hoping he can push the price up), why Mari doesn't use any English slang (not even a "oi!"), and Gendo got off too lightly for my liking, but at the end of the day, this is Shinji's story.

The most jarring scene for me was when she force-fed him, and the 3D animation didn't help - and I think that was the whole point. Anyway, the rest of the animation was honestly beautiful. Everything looked so expressive, like Rei's pupils seemingly dancing around as she just stared at everything she came across. I commented elsewhere that I got Miyazaki vibes off the village "arc", and wasn't surprised to find out Anno used to be one of his employees. The most disturbing part was finding out about Asuka's clones. I thought it'd just be like the "Reiquarium" of the original show, and that her soul was transferred to a new body, which would explain her lack of scars...but that wouldn't explain the eyepatch. Nope, instead the clones get killed off one by one for any sort of shortcoming until it's last girl standing. Congratulations NERV, you made Helmut Marko and the Red Bull young driver programme look humane.

I think I need a palate cleanser, I've only just started the Capri arc of JoJo Golden Wind.

8/10 for me. I am going to rewatch it.
I agree with you that Gendo easily got off the hook with Shinji; but it let Shinji be himself. The EoE ending for Gendo should be true path. Overall, this was really better than episode 25+26. I am going to rewatch it sometime today with the director's commentary.

Last edited:
Very shallow of me but I just hate the overall character design of Dragonmaid to even try it. I really don't like animal/monster and human mixes and one's targeted to be arousing just aren't for me :lol:

I have not had a chance to look at Evangelion 3.0 yet, must get round to that sometime soon.

I got very engrossed in Girlfriend, Girlfriend, most bonkers series I have ever watched and laughed at in all my years of anime, defo a highlight of the 2021 season, currently on Rent-A-Girlfriend from my last year when not playing video games.

I have not had a chance to look at Evangelion 3.0 yet, must get round to that sometime soon.

I got very engrossed in Girlfriend, Girlfriend, most bonkers series I have ever watched and laughed at in all my years of anime, defo a highlight of the 2021 season, currently on Rent-A-Girlfriend from my last year when not playing video games.
How is rent a girlfriend?

Very shallow of me but I just hate the overall character design of Dragonmaid to even try it. I really don't like animal/monster and human mixes and one's targeted to be arousing just aren't for me :lol:
Its ok. I do not watch beaststars on nextflix for some odd reason. Ill probably will in the future as background stuff.

Its ok. I do not watch beaststars on nextflix for some odd reason. Ill probably will in the future as background stuff.
I have only watched Episode 1 so far but hoping to watch more soon, always busy! I'll give a proper reply then, suffice to say I liked the first episode so I shall try to get onto the remainder of the series during the week!

Rent a Girlfriend is alright. The fun of the show comes through the convenient timing of family members popping up expressing their vested interest in this supposed real relationship. I imagine Chizuru alone makes up quite a portion of the fanbase for how good she is at going with the flow in tight situations.

My heart is still with Sakurajima though.
I dropped S1 of Ms. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid some years ago, maybe I'll get back into it.

I have been meaning to give this show a try. I already have a sense of what this show is going to feel like and what its motif will be, but I'll watch it anyway.

It is the best girl (as in, seiyuu)'s birthday.

She's 27, if you were wondering. Mind you...

Last edited:
But Yuko Miyamura's birthday isn't until December. :P

Live-action Cowboy Bebop intro:

Looks a little cheap in some places perhaps, but I think they did alright. Though it seems like either Ed’s been cut, or the’re still keeping her under wraps for some reason

They might be planning a second season..though i hope that the hand playing in ed's part isnt hers.
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if it was Ed. Assuming she's in the show, which apparently they're still suggesting she is, the only reason I can think of them not yet revealing her is because they've, ahem, radically altered the design and know fans are gonna be salty about it.

Personally, as much as I love Ed, I wouldn't be too bothered if they decided to change her up a bit... I don't think her anime incarnation would translate particularly well to live-action.

Last edited:
I'm just waiting for all of the malding from a certain quarter who wouldn't have a clue about Cowboy Bebop screeching about "wokeness".

Saw that Bebop poster somewhere else.

I only recently started Umbrella Academy, which I'm not enjoying all that much tbh, but I'll watch this anyway. It has been a while.

Last edited:
I should really get cracking with my Bebop re-watch.

So been going back and watching bits of Card Game Animes and something just hit me during Tournament arcs.

They have big crowds watching but the people playing are still talking and yelling at each other like its a personal grudge match between each other because of the plot. I can't stop thinking of the crowd in attendance to these things just going "What are they even talking about?" :lol:

Imagine if this was real life in some sort of 1 vs 1 sport and both competitors stop to yell at each other over something personal we know nothing about

Last edited:
Maybe the spectators like the trash talk? Just think of how many people watch UFC just to watch Conor McGregor get his leg snapped or AEW to watch that realtor with the scarf get slapped.

DK
Maybe the spectators like the trash talk? Just think of how many people watch UFC just to watch Conor McGregor get his leg snapped or AEW to watch that realtor with the scarf get slapped.
I can kind of get it if it's Trash Talk but there are times when they are just yelling plot relevance stuff the fans wouldn't know about.

Example, in the Tournament finals in Vanguard G NEXT. The antagonist was being posessed by a card (which is whole different can of worms), and in front of an arena of fans, they talk about bringing the real person back and why possessor is doing what he's doing and eventually the antagonist starts arguing with himself, in front of thousands of people and I can't stop thinking how the audience would really react in this situation :lol:

I can suspend my disbelief that a bunch of people would buy tickets to watch 2 people play a card game but them sitting there while they are just yelling to their eyes, a bunch of jargon :lol:

Last edited:
Not a proper trailer for the live-action adaptation, but Netflix released a short 3-minute "Lost Session" yesterday:

It's cute. Leans much more heavily into the pulp aesthetic than the anime, to the point where it feels like Quentin Tarantino on crack... but I'm OK with that. Some of the line delivery comes across as a bit forced (Faye in particular being the worst offender), but that might just be because they're trying to cram so much into 3 minutes.

How representative this is of the actual show remains to be seen, but we'll find out soon enough.

EDIT: And now a full proper trailer's dropped, which gives us a small taste of the more serious side of the show:

It was never gonna live up to the anime (and hopefully other Cowboy Bebop fans realize that and aren't obnoxiously hypercritical of it), but for an adaptation I think it looks quite good... certainly better than I was expecting.

Last edited:
Is there a thread for manga, too? Or do we discuss that ITT, as well? Because I've been thinking of checking out Murcielago and Franken Fran. As far as anime goes, there seems to be a lot I wanna check out, between CrunchyRoll and the original Mobile Suit Gundam series, Funimation's hosting of Cowboy Bebop and Initial D, and many others in between. OddTaxi is another one that looks neat.

Also, I think Gainax, or whatever's left of it, has insane aspirations. You mean to tell me that this skeleton crew wants to make a third installment of Top wo Nerae? Most of the people worth anything at Gainax left to form Trigger, and then Anno's Khara gutted the rest. It's really too bad - reminds me of Mitsubishi and how they've gone from having the FTO/GTO/Lancer Evolution to just making SUVs/CUVs now. (Though the revival of the RalliArt label gives me hope...)

Anyway, what's Takeshi Koike up to these days? I haven't heard much about him since he made that Fujiko Mine spin-off.

Last edited:
You just know that the carnies in charge at Gainax are going to get into NFTs.

DK
Don't do that. Don't give me hope.
I hate being right.

Anyway, the amount of JoJo episodes continues to astound me. I've only just finished Ep21 of Golden Wind and I found out I'm barely halfway through. Is this what it feels like to be a Naruto/Bleach/One Piece fan?

Back