The Great Project Cars Whinging and Crying Thread

I raced karts for some time, and most tracks were pretty flat or nearly so, the only thing even close to something like Glencairn were the rental type of tracks you see at the side of a the highway with a million tires around them and tons of tank like karts that top out at 22 km/h.

I've only raced rental Karts, but there is a Kart track near where I used to live (Kent, UK) called Buckmore Park. It has quite a lot of elevation. I have never driven it, but it must be on the UK professional Kart circuit because Lewis Hamilton & David Coulthard have both said they raced there a lot in their Karting days.

I've often thought it looks like Spa for ants.

buckmore6hr06.JPG

Well I finally found something I hate about this game: photo mode.

Why is the built-in photo mode limited to just spinning around the car at a few angles? Where's the ability to move the camera wherever you want to compose your own shots? I know it's a racing game first, but christ even GT6's photo mode is nicer to use and this makes it a PITA to show off the game's beauty.

I saw a suggestion to drive around with the HUD off > hit P to pause (PC) > then ctrl+k to unlock a "free roam camera" that's incredibly awkward to use. It was nearly impossible to set up shots how I wanted them because if I moved too far away or too close the camera would no clip into the ground... then good luck getting back above ground again.

Oh and what's great about the built-in photo mode is that it's impossible to view your photos outside the game. It saves everything deep within the Steam directory as a .med file... which is not readable by pretty much anything. I can't understand why they chose to do that.

TL;DR I really really really really hate photo mode - especially because this game's beauty makes me want to get back into game photography again.

/rant

But everything else is nice.

Last edited:
My biggest gripe about this game, no actually, two biggest gripes would be the inability to change car class online without having to leave the session and the fact that I can only save one setup per car.

****! I can't believe that I got affected by the pit bug again on the 24H LeMans endurance, I was just 3 hours away from finishing it. :banghead::banghead:

My biggest gripe about this game, no actually, two biggest gripes would be the inability to change car class online without having to leave the session and the fact that I can only save one setup per car.
you can save different set ups for different tracks though

you can save different set ups for different tracks though
You can, but with so many different driving conditions built into the game, it would be nice to have several setups available. One for qualifying, endurance racing, wet weather etc. At least 5 for sure. It's also nice to have a base setup and being able to copy it to another slot for experimenting so you don't lose the original setup in the process.

You can, but with so many different driving conditions built into the game, it would be nice to have several setups available. One for qualifying, endurance racing, wet weather etc. At least 5 for sure. It's also nice to have a base setup and being able to copy it to another slot for experimenting so you don't lose the original setup in the process.

I like that idea. 5 Spots per car and track; You would have one for Quali, Short races, endurance races, wet and one for testing.

Considering that you "only" need to store some data for each setup, it shouldn't be too hard to implement and it shouldn't take too much storage space (maybe 100kb per setup). Just 4 more spots for each car and track, the base is already made.

I thought there was only one setup? You can only hit save and it always saves the current one no?
if you go and save a setup in your garage you get the choice of saving to all tracks or a selection, then you can save a setup for just one track, or a bunch of tracks, or just all of them. this allows you to have a 'fast circuits' setup, or 'slow n twisty'. forgive my technical terms lol. I've just done a setup and saved for all circuits at the mo.

if you go and save a setup in your garage you get the choice of saving to all tracks or a selection, then you can save a setup for just one track, or a bunch of tracks, or just all of them. this allows you to have a 'fast circuits' setup, or 'slow n twisty'. forgive my technical terms lol. I've just done a setup and saved for all circuits at the mo.
Hopefully the setup i saved in my career gets carried over to the garage.

Only just realised you can press L1/R1 on the main menu, didn't even know there was a garage section until now.

I'm an idiot.
Don't worry you are not alone. But one of the joys of a new game is finding out there's more to it then you thought :)

I can't believe you can't wait for it to be patched before you try again. Why even risk it?
My first time could have been a rare occasion for this bug but now I know it will happen every single time if I suspend my console with the game running. This time I did uploaded the video showing the problem (go to minute 12), now I'm sitting in the pits disqualified waiting to see if I will get the 24Hours trophy or not.

Hopefully the setup i saved in my career gets carried over to the garage.

Don't worry you are not alone. But one of the joys of a new game is finding out there's more to it then you thought :)
If you tune a car at the track it gets save to that track. If you go to your garage after an event you'll see that the tune for that track (you have to manually load that track's tune first)is saved. At the garage though you can then take that tune and save it to all tracks or individual tracks. So a setup with proper gearing for Brands Hatch might also be the proper gearing for Oschersleben and Oulton Park for example, so you might want to also save that tune for those tracks. For me, once I make a decent tune, I just copy and paste it to every track so I have a good starting point at a new circuit. I'm not that deep into it yet but so far I haven't found I needed to make any adjustments other than gearing at most tracks. It's a neat feature being able to copy/paste where you want to.

If you tune a car at the track it gets save to that track. If you go to your garage after an event you'll see that the tune for that track (you have to manually load that track's tune first)is saved. At the garage though you can then take that tune and save it to all tracks or individual tracks. So a setup with proper gearing for Brands Hatch might also be the proper gearing for Oschersleben and Oulton Park for example, so you might want to also save that tune for those tracks. For me, once I make a decent tune, I just copy and paste it to every track so I have a good starting point at a new circuit. I'm not that deep into it yet but so far I haven't found I needed to make any adjustments other than gearing at most tracks. It's a neat feature being able to copy/paste where you want to.
I'm with you there. I just change the final drive slider mostly if the track dictates it. not gone too in depth with the tunings so far, mine's all about stopping under & oversteer first, I'll worry about pushing for extra tenths later on.

Career mode is a little confusing if you're used to other career modes like Forza or GT. I thought I would do a couple of kart races and then move up to faster more professional cars. But the season seems to last forever. How long is a season?

You get invitations but nothing seems to change in your calendar.

I heard you have to skip to the end of the season to move on?

It Tier 6 I chose the Clio but I also want to race Formula Rookie. But it doesn't allow me to. Do I have to finish the Clio season?

I must say I like the options to practice and qualify in career mode. I wish other games did that instead of throwing you into a career mode race on a car/track you're not familiar with.

G27 + pc here, just my opinion, but Glencairn is not a proper karting track, it's more of a novelty track, and a silly choice for a simulator I'm afraid. I raced karts for some time, and most tracks were pretty flat or nearly so, the only thing even close to something like Glencairn were the rental type of tracks you see at the side of a the highway with a million tires around them and tons of tank like karts that top out at 22 km/h.

Summerton and Greenwood (essentially the Spa track) are more like real kart tracks so I'd try them first before weighing in on the karts. Some tuning will help too, to get some more oversteer. I had to push really hard to get the karts to start behaving properly just like real karts. You have to handle them like a bucking bronco rather than a purebred stallion, constantly working the wheel and the throttle to get her aimed in the right direction. If you don't push hard you waver back and forth between under and oversteer, just like a real kart would.

Mosport has one of the best kart tracks in Ontario and it has more elevation changes than Glencairn, in a 2 stroke you basically jump into the bowl.

My first time could have been a rare occasion for this bug but now I know it will happen every single time if I suspend my console with the game running. This time I did uploaded the video showing the problem (go to minute 12), now I'm sitting in the pits disqualified waiting to see if I will get the 24Hours trophy or not.

Maybe turn of penalties as a temporary solution? did you suspend while you were pitting or before? Was this your first stop after suspend/resume?

Maybe turn of penalties as a temporary solution? did you suspend while you were pitting or before? Was this your first stop after suspend/resume?
On my second attempt I turned off damage but not penalties, didn't thought about that actually. From my 3 sessions, I suspended while in race (I did pause of course) and this wasn't my first stop, the AI has to refuel every 2hours.
IMO I believe that this issue is connected with the suspend/resume option on PS4, I'm now on my 4th attempt (YES 4TH!) at 24Hours LeMans but this time I will just park my car there instead of letting the AI racing for me.

On my second attempt I turned off damage but not penalties, didn't thought about that actually. From my 3 sessions, I suspended while in race (I did pause of course) and this wasn't my first stop, the AI has to refuel every 2hours.
IMO I believe that this issue is connected with the suspend/resume option on PS4, I'm now on my 4th attempt (YES 4TH!) at 24Hours LeMans but this time I will just park my car there instead of letting the AI racing for me.

Woah, good luck this time! Now I think I'll just do it in one rush to avoid bugs like this.

Mosport has one of the best kart tracks in Ontario and it has more elevation changes than Glencairn, in a 2 stroke you basically jump into the bowl.
I've seen onboard video of Mosport and it has more elevation changes than your typical kart track, but nothing close to Glencairn IMO. Mosport is also pretty much wide open with no obstacles or barriers other than a row of tires separating parts of the track. And the curbs are all flat.

I've seen onboard video of Mosport and it has more elevation changes than your typical kart track, but nothing close to Glencairn IMO. Mosport is also pretty much wide open with no obstacles or barriers other than a row of tires separating parts of the track. And the curbs are all flat.

The onboard doesn't properly convey the dropping of the track coming to the second straight and the bowl, it's quite steep irl.
If you want high kerbs just look at Shannonville, very easy to flip or bend a spindle there.

Didn't care for the UI when I saw it in earlier builds and videos, and after playing with it I can say..

The UI in Project Cars is horrid! 👎 There is a LOT of work that still needs to be done to smooth out the experience. With all the bugs (as were expected at launch) being (hopefully) fixed, I'm doubting whether we'll ever see improvements to the interface.:banghead:

The onboard doesn't properly convey the dropping of the track coming to the second straight and the bowl, it's quite steep irl.
If you want high kerbs just look at Shannonville, very easy to flip or bend a spindle there.
But Shannonville is flat as a pancake which makes the curbs easier to avoid. Bit of trivia..I raced in the first ever...ever...kart race at Shannonville:sly:...yup...I'm that old..:lol:

But Shannonville is flat as a pancake which makes the curbs easier to avoid. Bit of trivia..I raced in the first ever...ever...kart race at Shannonville:sly:...yup...I'm that old..:lol:

Not if you put 40 karts on the track at once.:lol:

Old enough for tire brakes?:P

Not if you put 40 karts on the track at once.:lol:

Old enough for tire brakes?:P
:lol:. Not that old. Back in the day it was originally built as just a kart track, the full size version came a bit later. I raced out of the old Whitby Kart Club. My Dad built our first kart which we raced once and got destroyed, then we bought a Bug Wasp which my brother and I shared for one season. We mounted the required Honda G42 and we were off to the races...literally. Good times...:cheers:

Back