The Great Project Cars Whinging and Crying Thread

Haha maybe, my only problem with cockpit cam is you can't see anything around you with only one monitor.
You can glance left and right. 👍 I use a smaller FOV and use the glance feature to see what's around me. One thing to consider when you're a couch player like me (so ~2 metres from the screen) is to use bumper cam for more immersion. The glance feature also works in that camera view.

For all of those still moaning about the ghosting, this is from Andy Garton this morning (approved for release):
It's not a bug. It's a side effect of the way we do AA on PS4, and is arguably a good thing (hear me out!). It's there, and very noticeable from static images of non-direct feed footage especially, but also undeniably in the game itself (mainly when paused). I spotted it and reported it as soon as it got checked in long ago (so we didn't "miss it" as many would have you believe).

However, I also "spotted" that the PS4 version has really lovely image quality, a very smooth and slightly soft (not low res!), "non-gamey" look, which is very natural, and (imo!) rather fantastic, due to this very clever AA approach. It also greatly minimises the distant "shimmer" you often see in console racing games, which is a side effect of low quality AA on thin vertical objects such as fences.

So yes, the ghosting effect is there, if you look hard enough. The advantages far outweigh this small disadvantage however. Notwithstanding that, if customer feedback demands it, we have a plan to add a UI slider in a future update, which will enable you to tune out the ghosting, at the expense of more aliasing and distant shimmer.

You can glance left and right. 👍 I use a smaller FOV and use the glance feature to see what's around me. One thing to consider when you're a couch player like me (so ~2 metres from the screen) is to use bumper cam for more immersion. The glance feature also works in that camera view.
I know you can look left and right and I'll probably just have to adapt. I'm just stubborn and wanted to complain to whoever would listen.

My whinge is that people are more concerned about things like photo mode, customizable race suits and shadows in the grandstands than features like a dynamic in-game universe, a crew chief / race engineer, meaningful contracts, etc

How I wish I could be so satisfied with a game that only left me wanting for more detailed grass!
And TREES! What about the trees.

NOOOO, not the 2D trees! 0

No he's implying it's a necessity. One that is a side effect of how ps4 does things and also has a side effect of nice image quality because of the AA.

Would you rather the game have no AA or one that shimmers? SMS have done the best they can with the abilities of the console. Until the instruction set in the GPU and its drivers change, there isn't an easy fix that would mean the best of both worlds.

:(

What a weird thread, it's like no one know much of anything about the game to complain.
No upgrading whatsoever
20 or so road cars(with no upgrading)
over reliance on race cars like 80% of the car list
no livery editor on consoles
bias to British cars
having normal cars with no tuning sort of leaves them flat and pointless
paltry manufacturers car list

While I am getting the game I can't help but feel like SMS might have gaffed on the console versions, it's missing things that drew in console racers, regular autos they see on the streets that they could drive, upgrade and tune and drive some more. PC crowd and console crowd are not necessarily the same, sure no tuning mitigates have to do class ratings but it surely makes the races sort of like a copy and paste fest. Grids will look rather mundane with 3 or for regurgitated vehicles in the massive(:cheers:) grids.

Watching streams of the game right now and there are things missing like the pit crew coming later in patch I believe, the game looks great and sounds even better, while this has many things I wanted in other games it omits a massive part of what made the other games stand out. This will be fine for PC players but the console guys will be quite picky about this, fact that it's a sim game with no upgrading anywhere just doesn't seem to make sense at all. Realistic racing but no realistic upgrading or turning your mundane road car into something a little more vicious. I'm pondering getting this on PC and avoid the console version it's a difficult choice but in the US, there is no Limited Edition physical release and the only way to score some absolutely grand cars is the digital download...seriously?!?

I do love the deep racing rules and cautions for an authentic racing feel, but I'm just upset with no upgrading for normal cars, going track days with your sunday best and everyday special with some tweaks and just enjoying the atmosphere and drive. Still though this looks like a very, very good game. 40+ car count just can't be beat, I am going to enjoy the hell out of this and keep eyes out for GT7 to come hard this time(with all the team additions and discoveries made about PD's AES and physics systems). Great time to be a gamer, have a G25 and a wheel for the PS4 will come down to my decision on PC/PS4 Project Cars.
Tbh i disagree with most of this, imo by not having tuning upgrades and leaving things the way the were manufactured adds authenticity to the game. If you can adjust a setting on the car in real life and you can adjust that same setting in project cars then that is a massive win Imo. I have done 90% of my GT5-6 racing in tuning prohibited leagues and the racing is much more competitive and the skill required to be fast is more about the driver than the tuner. But in saying that iv'e now moved on to PC gaming and have been playing Assetto corsa for the last 6 months which has the same concept as project cars when it comes to tuning ( no additional parts can be added) and i think it's a much more realistic approach. lets face it, why tune your road car when you already have a race car ?!?!.

Would you rather the game have no AA or one that shimmers? SMS have done the best they can with the abilities of the console. Until the instruction set in the GPU and its drivers change, there isn't an easy fix that would mean the best of both worlds.
Until I know the effects on my TV I'm not committed either way. I was genuinely amused at the positive spin he put on it.

Yes, I meant the Ghosting.
Well if you don't understand some peoples negative spin on the Ghosting issue then more power to you.

I shall reserve judgement on which is the better option, shimmering, jaggies or double image when I've played it myself.

Ghosting dudes, calm down! Everything will be fine. Just read back (in this thread) the opinions of people who have actually played the game on the PS4. All these opinions, including mine, describe the game as looking pretty and while playing it you don't notice the ghosting. I am getting PCars on the Xbox One, but I find it really hard to imagine someone playing PCars with 30 other cars on a track, at a difficulty level that demands concentration and having the time to focus on ghosting....It will be fun guys! =]

Well if you don't understand some peoples negative spin on the Ghosting issue then more power to you.

I shall reserve judgement on which is the better option, shimmering, jaggies or double image when I've played it myself.

I totally understand your concerns.
What I don't understand is people accusing SMS of being too dumb to notice this or not caring about it.
That's not aimed at you specifically, just a general observation.

With regards to SMS' comment on this, I do think this is indeed a feature if it really takes away most of the shimmering because this is a problem that specifically racing games are suffering badly from, because of the fast gameplay.

So, now I found out that the release date here is set to May, 19th :ouch:.

Why did SMS have to choose that POS called Bandai Namco to distribute the game? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Why?

Tbh i disagree with most of this, imo by not having tuning upgrades and leaving things the way the were manufactured adds authenticity to the game. If you can adjust a setting on the car in real life and you can adjust that same setting in project cars then that is a massive win Imo. I have done 90% of my GT5-6 racing in tuning prohibited leagues and the racing is much more competitive and the skill required to be fast is more about the driver than the tuner. But in saying that iv'e now moved on to PC gaming and have been playing Assetto corsa for the last 6 months which has the same concept as project cars when it comes to tuning ( no additional parts can be added) and i think it's a much more realistic approach. lets face it, why tune your road car when you already have a race car ?!?!.
'
Wait not having upgrades, is somehow authentic and a realistic approach? Why is that? You're speaking from a PC slant, console gamers interests aren't exactly in line with PC gamers. DriveClub was given flak for small car count, lack of any kind of tuning/upgrades whatsoever. While Project Cars has tune settings, lacking upgrades in a game filled to the rafters with mainly race cars and heavily favoring British autos, I don't see console reviews being rather favorable for this game when the competition on both systems have pretty much everything this game does minus the excellent racing rules and setup and user set customization. I am getting this game simply because I have all systems and I can't pass up a nice first outing on console that looks to being real racing to my main game system. Console racing gamer players have become accustomed to having upgrades, large car counts and livery support as part of their game. There are a myriad of types playing, so the game can cater to those focused on getting the best time, those who like to just grab a car and drive, those who love to tinker and build out. You ever played Forza 3 and 4, the tuning community was huge with crazy builds of cars many were absolute nuts but it still represented a sector of gamers.
Having the option is better than not having it, this is also head scratching moment but no livery editor on either console...it's like they are sabotaging themselves before giving themselves a chance. PC supports livery editor, but not the consoles?
I am on board for this game, but the console outing is going to leave many a bruised ego.

Upgrades in a game like this would be wrong. The cars are spec race cars for the most part, I personally find it questionable having Road cars in it at all.
I've got to say I disagree. No other console game has road cars replicated at this level of physics, and I would love to see this game develop with a good strong car list of both road and race cars

Last edited:
Back