The Great Sounds of the Automotive World

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,403 comments
  • 122,708 views
 


Not bad for an inline 6 :D

Langauge warning
 
This is why people love the 12 Valve Cummins so much. Skip to 1:58 for some sweet turbo sound as well as a pretty damn good run. They've already shaved half a second off the time since this has been recorded.



This is a pretty damn quick truck too.



I just love the sound of an inline 6 Cummins with a massive turbo spooling. :drool:
 
I really wish I could like diesels :/
 
You like making lots of power for cheap, right? Then you should love diesels. With a screwdriver and a block of wood I can almost double the horsepower in a 1st Gen Cummins, for absolutely no cost. Of course you'd want gauges to keep an eye on EGT's but the point still stands.
 
Yes, but they stink, are heavy and don't sound anywhere near as good as a gas motor. Oh, and they can't really rev that high (like screaming). That's what gets me. I love the torque they make otherwise.
 
Maybe it is because I grew up on a farm and I was around diesel equipment all the time but I love the smell of a Cummins engine. I can actually tell the difference between a Cummins, Duramax and Powerstroke just by smell alone. I also think a Cummins Turbo Diesel sounds better than just about any engine out there, but that is just my opinion. Yeah, they're a little heavier than what a gasoline counterpart would be but they're much easier to make power with so they can be made faster than the gasoline equivalent with practically no work at all.
 
I'm probably the same way as far as what I grew up with.
 
They can scream if it's a 2 stroke....



Just hope it doesn't run away...



Edit2: Can't forget pissed off pete!

 
Last edited:
Diesel engines made the Audi R10, R15 (and the + variant), and the R18 (all of them) go WHOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH.
 

What exhaust is that when it revs?
 
I'd go with Kreissieg, but it doesn't make up for the mess that is the rest of the car.👎:yuck:
 
Miata content:

Turbo?



Or ITB? [skip to 1:35]



Both vids (same user) have the microphone located inside the engine compartment, which explains why the induction noises are so loud. I can't decide which I like better. The turbo car is obviously much more powerful (250whp vs 175whp) but the ITB car likely has incredible response and that sound of those intake trumpets...mmmmm
 
Top 100 Supercars startup in 6 minutes... 👍​

​
 
 
I'm going to post videos of cars being driven hard with microphones placed under the hood.

Today's:

 
Last five videos didn't work.
 
Video I made. 3 Minutes of Rally Cars flying by, not the biggest meanest machines, but still awesome strait pipe sounds

 
The good stuff starts at around :55 :drool::

 
I've really started getting into centrifugal superchargers lately. They make some cool noises. There is no 'blunting' or 'deadening' of the sound like a turbocharger. It's all the ferocity of an n/a engine, but with an extra high-tech sounding layer of compressor noise. S2000s, especially, sound incredible with centrifugal blowers. Here are a couple:







(mic under hood)
 

 
Slash, I just watched like 1.5hrs worth of mudding videos on youtube. I still don't get it.
 
Back