The GT Sport Epic Whining and Crying Thread

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 3,198 comments
But it took PD four years to get to the half way point, So what could they possibly do to improve GT Sport in six month? We all know PD Research and Development is extremely slow. Lets keep it real. Simple math would dictate if it took them four years to get half finished, then it would take another four years to complete. Half way should have been two and A quarter years ago to only have a realistic six months left of development.:confused: Unless the six month estimate is really just a pacifier for further delays.:cool:
Kaz didn't say the game was half finished. He said it's at half the quality level meaning that the next six months of big fixing and optimizing are going to produce big gains in quality.

But it took PD four years to get to the half way point, So what could they possibly do to improve GT Sport in six month? We all know PD Research and Development is extremely slow. Lets keep it real. Simple math would dictate if it took them four years to get half finished, then it would take another four years to complete. Half way should have been two and A quarter years ago to only have a realistic six months left of development.:confused: Unless the six month estimate is really just a pacifier for further delays.:cool:
I think there should be a fine print that reads "bear in mind gt5 and gt6 are still in complete" before any poster is about to hit the post reply button after typing that whinners should remember gts is 50% incomplete. After listening to Kaz answer questions this week I have a strong feeling gts will be incomplete on release and full of half arsed implementations. Kaz still fails to give concrete answers, they all amount to I dunno!

Sony seems merciless with its first party studios. I'm sure that some things will change at PD or even worse with a third "bad" game.

Why put "bad" in quotes?

If the games aren't actually bad then it kind of negates your point.

So no whyning from me here, I just don't give a $@%& anymore about the Granturismo series.

Yes I will be aggresive and have expectations that I expect they should meet considering PD is stating the game as 50% complete. With under 6 months away until release date, I'll be concerned with their project planning. Considering what, PD started development on GTSport about a year - year and a half ago. With only 50% completed since then and 3/4 of the development timeline through to me this rings alarming bells of arising issues with the development and subsequently the final quality of the game.

:confused:

Last edited:
With no dynamic TOD and weather, I want to see life around the track. Forza with 24 cars on a weaker console can do it. Flags, crowd cheers, pitlane activity... IMO, all the flaws in GT5-6 were due to TOD and weather. My expectations are much higher without these two features.

I want to see life around the track... Flags, crowd cheers, pitlane activity

Makes you wonder what happened when you look at these trailers from 11 years ago. About half way through in both of them, all that pit crew activity, we got none of it. I don't think anywhere in GT5 or 6 even managed to equal the activity in GT4's Grand Canyon rally track. How "visions" have changed indeed.

The dubbed car sounds still annoy me to this day as well, it's so deceiving, nothing more than a dirty tactic that to me, is basically straight up lying.

To be fair if you watch the high quality Gamersyde vid of the Ferrari around the Ring you can see marshals, spectators, cameramen, etc, who are all modelled really well, moving very naturally. It looked really good.

3GOHv65.jpg

Looks no better than other games with more content. Sound is improved but still totally substandard compared to its contemporaries. Silly music while driving.

Still massive amounts of development time going into a screenshot simulator.

Single player content abandoned in favour of e-sports.

All style, no substance. Not a simulator.

I'll be back in 14 years when the next release is out. :lol:

On Kaz himself, it's clear he regards himself not as a man who has to deliver a product to an audience but as an "artist" or "leader". He thinks he's creating a luxury lifestyle product or something and people will just follow wherever he goes.

Meanwhile PD whithers away due to outdated Japanese business practices of keeping everything in house, outsourcing nothing and doing everything the way they did in the glory years instead of changing with the times. It's a sickness you see all over Japanese industry.

Look at Honda's disasterous re-entry to Formula 1 competition. They can't bring the engine up to scratch because they refuse to take on, or even take consultancy advice from outsiders who have worked in the other manufacturers power unit programs. Toyota threw billions at F1 before them, failure. They're doing it again right now and failing over and over to win the only WEC race with any real marketing value (Le Mans).

Move the franchise to a European studio before it's too late and build a wall around Kaz. Make Gran Turismo great again.

I don't think it is bad just because PD is a Japanese Studio. Japanese Studio's still produce great games to this day.

Besides the Toyota F1 Car was actually manufactured in Germany ;).

as much as I've never thought of ever being in a whining/crying thread for my favorite series, the time has, sadly, come. I used to think of PD as innovators, leaders, but now I have pretty much lost my respect for them. delivering a game that looks okay at best nearly 3 years into a console's life and doing virtually nothing groundbreaking or memorable seems to be the norm with PD. I'll probably never find a game that has affected me as much as GT3 did, but for now, I couldn't care less what happens to PD

I don't think it is bad just because PD is a Japanese Studio. Japanese Studio's still produce great games to this day...
Japanese studios made strange games with strange quality and strange atmosphere. And these studios need many years to produce such games. Look at Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Silent Hill - they are famous, made with big budget in many years and they are very contradictory - they have some strange game mechanics (even dull or simple like from '90s), strange game design, strange story-telling elements (coсktail of epic, pathetic, predictable, big drama elements and cutscenes), strange interface (few options, slow menus, big icons)...Btw many of gamers are waiting japanese game The Last Guardian from its first announce at 2009!!! 7 years....OMG....4 years between MGS3 and MGS4, 7 - MGS4 to MGS5, 6 - GT4 go GT5, 3 - GT5 to GT6, 3 - GT6 to GTS...so, may be 6-7 from GT6 to GT7?! Who is waiting 2019-2020 for GT7?

Update:
I didn't see any info about tracks - are they laser-scanned or just upgraded from GT6 in details? Imo for example Nordschleife needs to be fixed for GTS in some aspects of layout - laser-scanned versions in AC, iRacing look different than in GT6.
And as i see eSports features of GTS are not something new for gaming. Other games have leagues, leaderboards, daily/weekly events too. Why is so big hype around these features in GTS? Just about existence of ability to view real-time streams of races?

Last edited:
Makes you wonder what happened when you look at these trailers from 11 years ago. About half way through in both of them, all that pit crew activity, we got none of it. I don't think anywhere in GT5 or 6 even managed to equal the activity in GT4's Grand Canyon rally track. How "visions" have changed indeed.

The dubbed car sounds still annoy me to this day as well, it's so deceiving, nothing more than a dirty tactic that to me, is basically straight up lying.

This what I disliked about GT5/6: the boring, silent tracks. I mean look at this replay, sure it doesn't look "photorealistic," but the sound effects and movement in the crowds bring the track to life:

Japanese studios made strange games with strange quality and strange atmosphere. And these studios need many years to produce such games. Look at Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Silent Hill - they are famous, made with big budget in many years and they are very contradictory - they have some strange game mechanics (even dull or simple like from '90s), strange game design, strange story-telling elements (coсktail of epic, pathetic, predictable, big drama elements and cutscenes), strange interface (few options, slow menus, big icons)...Btw many of gamers are waiting japanese game The Last Guardian from its first announce at 2009!!! 7 years....OMG....4 years between MGS3 and MGS4, 7 - MGS4 to MGS5, 6 - GT4 go GT5, 3 - GT5 to GT6, 3 - GT6 to GTS...so, may be 6-7 from GT6 to GT7?! Who is waiting 2019-2020 for GT7?

Update:
I didn't see any info about tracks - are they laser-scanned or just upgraded from GT6 in details? Imo for example Nordschleife needs to be fixed for GTS in some aspects of layout - laser-scanned versions in AC, iRacing look different than in GT6.
And as i see eSports features of GTS are not something new for gaming. Other games have leagues, leaderboards, daily/weekly events too. Why is so big hype around these features in GTS? Just about existence of ability to view real-time streams of races?
That seems very contradictory to the typical complaint the games from the rest..

Western Games, 1 game every year is too much.

Japan Games (according to this), Games need to come out sooner.

Honestly I am fine with games being release late, look at the games you mentioned from Japan, most of them are praised well for being masterpieces due to their gameplay and atmosphere being engaging according to people who tend to play them (GT being an exception). Storytelling sure doesn't sell these games (except MGS) unlike games the West have but Japan tends to go for an overall experience instead of picking one thing to amaze people (I don't even care about the story in games anyway).

I'd rather have 1 Mario Kart every console instead of 2, as the Mario Karts in each console deliver well instead of holding things back for a future release just to make the future release more compelling or DLC :rolleyes:

I don't think I've heard anyone ever complain about the stories in the games in Japan hacing, few options or slow menus. The games I play are mostly from Japan and they have been packing a decent amount of options to play with and menus are relatively fast.

Simple math would dictate if it took them four years to get half finished, then it would take another four years to complete.

Absolutely, that's why simple maths is useless in this case. You're presuming that all the software development tasks are identical through your theoretical 8-year chain.

If indeed they have rebuilt the sound, physics and graphical engines then I'd say that front-loads some pretty large tasks. They won't have to do that again to get to KY's 100%, for sure.

Disclaimer; Kaz's 100% is arbitrary and, as I suspect he'd admit, unachievable in its entirety.

Absolutely, that's why simple maths is useless in this case. You're presuming that all the software development tasks are identical through your theoretical 8-year chain.

If indeed they have rebuilt the sound, physics and graphical engines then I'd say that front-loads some pretty large tasks. They won't have to do that again to get to KY's 100%, for sure.

Disclaimer; Kaz's 100% is arbitrary and, as I suspect he'd admit, unachievable in its entirety.
This whole idea of 50% finished needs to die! He did not say it's 50% finished. He said the quality of the game is currently 50% of where he wants it to be. That doesn't mean come release it will be twice as good as it is now. They might only achieve 51% of what he wants it to be by release. Please for everyones sake if you see someone quote the 50% finished BS, make them aware that what was said is 'The game is 50% of the quality that Kaz wants it to be.' This will save a lot of butt hurt come release.

people who say that the "trailer won't be indicative of the final game" are truly mysterious. a reveal trailer should show, in my opinion, a general overview of most of the game's features with some extra detail sprinkled on. with so much emphasis on the photo mode, it only seems as though that's where the majority of focus should be placed. PD might as well just change the trademark to the "real photography simulator" for all I care

Pretty sure Kaz has pike ADHD, throws himself into an idea. Gets bored and has another idea. Instead of seeing idea 1 through he starts idea 2...Und so on.
Peter Molyneux of the racing genre?

Been thinking about this a bit

I think its obvious now that after 6 full games on console Kaz is bored of making the traditional GT game, and thats why we have GT Sport. I can understand that he feels that way. Making the same type of game for 20 years straight can start to drag, and for a creative mind like him to start to wonder should be no big surprise.

For what we've seen, GTS does appear to be a fun little online game and a nice departure from the main series.

I honestly dont think the ideas behind GTS are bad at all. In fact they intrigue me.

But......why is it taking them so long to make these games? If this game was released Q4 2014 or even Q4 2015 I feel alot more people would have embraced it with open arms, a much better approach to putting a racer on a new console with limited content compared to how Forza 5 still tried to be a normal full game with a fraction of the content that is expected.

So...I think Kaz still is a genius, just for whatever reason his team is slooooww. PS4 was suppose to change that, and it hasnt yet. Also hes letting casuals dictate where the franchise is going too much, instead of the older fans who are the backbone of the fanbase. The guys who have been around since GT1. PSN data says most players (casuals) dont bother with the 24 hour races? Get rid of them. PSN data says (casuals) only spend 5 hours with the single player mode? Only make it 5 hours long. Etc, etc.

Imagine if we had

2015 - GT Sport
2017 - GT7

GTS would have still gotten some backlash for being 'online only', but it would have been much less. People would have been more accepting of it as a bridge title to GT7. Now halfway through the PS4's life we finally get the bridge title? Its too late.

Long story short, I think I'm a little more level headed now and seeing things clearer, PD isnt awful, they're just painfully slow. Im not minimizing that at all because its a serious issue that if not fixed will be their undoing.

Back