The GTPlanet Gear List Thread

• Thread starter G.T
  • 332 comments
Geeky1
As of today, I've got a Canon EOS 20D. 8.2MP of SLR goodness :)

Now I just need some decent lenses, a battery grip, a fitted case, a few extra batteries, a bigger CF card (the 2GB one I've got just isn't gonna cut it for this), a decent external flash, an underwater case, a remote shutter release... more stuff that I haven't thought of yet... (see, this is why I didn't want to get into photography... it's an even more expensive hobby than computers) Also need to figure out how to get it to do continuous drive, preferably without opening the manual. :D

Nice buy and nice list-to-get. I've been wanting to get a battery grip for my d70, but i've been blowing it on filters, and booze. Damn being a poor college student, damn it to hell!

DiabolicalMask
I own a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3.
I've just got myself the FZ5, very nice camera, very similar to your FZ3 but it is 5mp, has a slightly bigger screen, and a new EVF.

I have a Sony DSC-V1. It's the first camera I ever bought. I want to start up photography as a hobby so I thought this camera might be a good starting point. My main issues with it are the auto focus and the flash, but I'm considering buying the Sony external flash for this camera soon.

Here's some untouched photos from the camera (except for resizing)

Yeah, I'm late here.

This is what I currently have, bought mainly because it was cheap, easy to use and there was an offer on a 1gb memory card with it.

I'd like to get something a bit more advanced to learn proper photography with, but it's served me well.

Sony Cybershot DSCF717, 5.0 megapixels.
Sony-Cybershot-DSC-F717-DSCF717_big.jpg

Few years old but it still kicks ass.

OmicroN
I need to look in to getting a macro lens, close-up pictures are great.
Anyone take guess at what this close up comes from - And no - I haven't used a dedicated lens or macroconverter...

I've just bought a Canon EOS 350d with the 18-55mm lens and a 4GB Sandisk Extreme II CF Card. I've taken about 300 pictures with it and I love it, although the on-board flash is a little weak, and I keep pressing the ISO buttons with my nose... I've transferred my Canon 75-300mm USM lens across, and have been getting good results with that, and the cable Remote Commander works also, so these investments that I had made in my Canon EOS 50e haven't been wasted.

I've also got an Olympus Camedia C-750UZ (4MP, 10x Optical), which is fine for simple use, but it's a bit slow. And my phone has a 2MP autofocus camera on it too, which is handy to have around. Images are surprisingly good, too.

my new cam! :)
olympus e-500, with zuiko 14-45 and 50-150 (covers 30-300 in 35mm equivalent).
and a cool crumpler bag "loyal chap" to carry it around.

weeee!
bought just a few months ago a Canon S2, with that big 12X zoom, for the money I paid, I have more than enough camera. I'm still learning. 'Sides, I cant afford a digital rebel, not now
Besides again, for what I want it (home use, car photo sessions for my website, fooling around), its really great.

sample pics, here:grand am & nascar race in mexico

I also have a daily-use Canon a310, it has built a whole website by itself.

I love that camera :D

The HP cameras look gorgeous.

Roo
Yeah, I'm late here.

This is what I currently have, bought mainly because it was cheap, easy to use and there was an offer on a 1gb memory card with it.

*click*

I'd like to get something a bit more advanced to learn proper photography with, but it's served me well.

I had it's big brother, the 4363z. I still do :) Not a bad camera, but it's nothing on the Dimage.

Canon EOS 20D
- 50mm f/1.8 Prime (UV Filter and Polarizer)
- 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM

3 1GB SD cards (MORE than enough, if I'm shooting RAW format I can pop off about 300-320 photo's, and raw is a TON bigger than JPEG).

TVR&Ferrari_Fan - Don't waste your money on the Ultra cards, you'll get absolutely no performance boost unless you have a highspeed reader. No matter how fast the "write" speed is, your camera will still write at the same speed, and none of it's features will change. The only thing the Ultras are good for is shooting in extreme weather conditions (i.e. going from 80 degrees inside to 120 degrees outside). Save the cash and just buy regular CF cards, you're talking to a guy who knows so from experience.

Geeky1
a bigger CF card (the 2GB one I've got just isn't gonna cut it for this)

I'm not exactly sure I follow? Why would you need to buy something bigger? Just get another one or two 1GB CF cards. I'm not sure what you're shooting in either. Are you shooting both RAW and JPEG? In RAW I get 100-109 Photo's per 1GB CF Card, and in JPEG I can shoot off between 255-265 easy...I really wouldn't shoot in JPEG and RAW, it's just a huge waste of memory space.

I have a Fuji Finepix S206Z with a 2.2GB Microdrive, works great!
Some samples, these were edited and resized, but taken with my camera nonetheless.

My dad recently got a Canon EOS20D, now that is a great camera, awesome.

drfterxl
im just about to purchase a Canon Powershot S3 IS with the extra telephoto lens
what do people think?

Dunno.. I found The S3 IS a bit pricey, except from the 6.0 MP it didn't have that more options than the S2.

Anyway that's why i bought a Powershot S2 IS:
5.0 MP 12 x Optical Zoom

0,1425,i=109378,00.jpg

TVR&Ferrari_Fan
I,m getting this Digicam through the week:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2072

It can rival an entry level DSLR, while being called by a good source: Wolf in sheep's clothing. I was going to buy a D50 next month, but I think I'll just wait for the D70 to come down in price next year guys.
As far as I'm aware, the 9500 and 9000 are the same camera - just a different model number for different parts of the world. In either case, the camera really isn't worth the MSRP or anywhere near it.

You get the 10x optical zoom and a 9 meg ccd, but neither is of any use since neither features was executed well. The images are disturbingly noisy and the lens just doesn't 'feel' right. I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the review, but manual adjustments on the lens are actually digitally done. You can turn the dial a fraction and the optics don't do anything. You have to move it enough for the electronics to step the lens to the needed position - not as smoothely accurate as an slr lens :)

Check my review: http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=610

emad
As far as I'm aware, the 9500 and 9000 are the same camera - just a different model number for different parts of the world. In either case, the camera really isn't worth the MSRP or anywhere near it.

You get the 10x optical zoom and a 9 meg ccd, but neither is of any use since neither features was executed well. The images are disturbingly noisy and the lens just doesn't 'feel' right. I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the review, but manual adjustments on the lens are actually digitally done. You can turn the dial a fraction and the optics don't do anything. You have to move it enough for the electronics to step the lens to the needed position - not as smoothely accurate as an slr lens :)

Check my review: http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=610
I am getting it for £335 online you know, you did not count on me looking around for one of the best prices. And it all depends on the ISO settings you use.

Plus 9 mega pixels can be used to the full, when I go to motorsport events as well as car events. One more thing its my cash.

Oh and the lowest priced D50 with an 18-55mm lens is £455, and some people like me always get plenty of photos. So I am one of those people who always needs a 2GB or 4GB cards.

But I would say you did not review the score right, because some pro photographer mag's gave it way better reviews.

My Mum has a 9500. It's a pretty good camera. I'm surprised my Mum hasn't used it that much. The pictures seem good quality and the camera pretty easy to use. You need some little knowledge on how all the settings and that work - certainly not the beginnger - as when my Mum uses the camera the pictures turn out all wrong. :P The only thing that annoyed me on it was very long times you have to wait to cycle through the pictures on the camera. It takes a good few seconds for each one, so any quick shooting you need to do after your memory stick is full will be a pain in the arse (but even my Dad's S3 Pro has this problem. It must be like this with all bigger cameras).

But, I've hardly used it at all and not really a camera expert, so I'm not sure whether there's anything better out there or not. A thumbs up from me here, but not a proper DSLR.

Plus, emad is a good digital camera reviewer, so it's worth considering what he says. Someone saying the camera isn't the best out there is really a good thing. People have their own opinions.

Very nice tvr. For non proffesional use, i guess they're pretty much the same :)

*Waits for "I have canceled my order and bought something else"*

:P

G.T
My Mum has a 9500. It's a pretty good camera. I'm surprised my Mum hasn't used it that much. The pictures seem good quality and the camera pretty easy to use. You need some little knowledge on how all the settings and that work - certainly not the beginnger - as when my Mum uses the camera the pictures turn out all wrong. :P The only thing that annoyed me on it was very long times you have to wait to cycle through the pictures on the camera. It takes a good few seconds for each one, so any quick shooting you need to do after your memory stick is full will be a pain in the arse (but even my Dad's S3 Pro has this problem. It must be like this with all bigger cameras).

But, I've hardly used it at all and not really a camera expert, so I'm not sure whether there's anything better out there or not. A thumbs up from me here, but not a proper DSLR.

Plus, emad is a good digital camera reviewer, so it's worth considering what he says. Someone saying the camera isn't the best out there is really a good thing. People have their own opinions.
You may think that, but if you read magazines like:

Digital Photo, Practical Photography and Digital Camera buyer then they really know what there talking about. And well they gave higher review scores.

But like you said people have different thoughts on different cameras.

TVR&Ferrari_Fan
You may think that, but if you read magazines like:

Digital Photo, Practical Photography and Digital Camera buyer then they really know what there talking about. And well they gave higher review scores.

But like you said people have different thoughts on different cameras.
Given the choice between this and the Nikon, I'd spend the extra 100 without thinking twice. If the Fuji was priced at 50-100 less, I'd give it some consideration. But it's not that cheap - it's too closely priced to dslr.

The Nikon has a much smaller lens, but I can just crop to the size/position I need. The high megapixels at a race track won't help you - they'll only make it possible to make larger prints. On the track, You need to be able to click and have the shutter respond in under a second - the fuji takes much longer to focus and has a lot of shutter lag. If you *must* have zoom, check ebay for a used 70-200mm lens from a reputable supplier

Take a look at the Pentax *ist series. They cost a touch more but you save a LOT of money on lenses since they're quite common on ebay 👍

If you want dslr, look into used ones online. The cameras are close to indestructable and the only thing you'll need to worry about is dirt on the ccd which can easily be brushed off.

Back