The GTPlanet Gear List Thread

• Thread starter G.T
  • 332 comments
BlazinXtreme
Sony Cybershot DSCF717, 5.0 megapixels.
Sony-Cybershot-DSC-F717-DSCF717_big.jpg

Few years old but it still kicks ass.

I have the exact same camera. It's actually a 5.24 MP camera. ;)

Some samples although the sizes are reduced in most:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1370908&postcount=255

Although I think you were wondering about Digital "Still" cameras, I also have a Canon GL1 Mini-DV format 3CCD video recorder. I don't use that near as much as the Still camera. It just seems like too much work editing the video and rendering it down.

Why, oh, why did you have to bring back the meat flap, Pako???

I might just have to negative rep you for that. :lol:

Tomski
Dunno.. I found The S3 IS a bit pricey, except from the 6.0 MP it didn't have that more options than the S2.

Anyway that's why i bought a Powershot S2 IS:
5.0 MP 12 x Optical Zoom

0,1425,i=109378,00.jpg

That was the conclusion I came to. That's the camera I bought as well.

TB
Why, oh, why did you have to bring back the meat flap, Pako???

I might just have to negative rep you for that. :lol:

:lol: I kind of forgot about it to... I was like strolling down memory lane looking at some of those old posts. ;)

So how about that Nikon D70? Only 6MP but how does it compare to the Canon's 350 8MP cameras? It seems they class the two together and often compare the two even though the Canon has 2MP of resolution on it.

TVR&Ferrari_Fan
You may think that, but if you read magazines like:

Digital Photo, Practical Photography and Digital Camera buyer then they really know what there talking about. And well they gave higher review scores.

But like you said people have different thoughts on different cameras.

Doesn't matter, you're buying a camera with ZERO application. It's limited in what it can do, where as with a DSLR, you can ALWAYS buy new glass, from macro lenses, to fish eyes and telephoto.

But with the 9500, your stuck at square one from day one. A huge waste of money if you ask me, he wasn't wrong by any means to review it the way he did. All of the magazines you cite, are only reviewing for the AVERAGE consumer, and not for a photographer. ANyone who is serious about photography is going to give you the exact same opinion, DSLR is significantly better than any fixed lense camera, but only if you want to truely use it for photography, as a photographer.

As of Thursday, I'll have posession of a Sony Cybershot DSC-W70. I'm putting in a little bit, and getting the rest as a grad gift.

speedy_2
Just a word of advice for you guys. Alot of people think the more Megapixels the better. I'm so tired of hearing people tell others that. And even people who know nothing about camera try to correct me about it.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
The resolution has nothing to do with the image quality and everything to do with the maximum size at which you can print. My 5.1 megapixel provides pretty good 8x10 results and I can usually push that up and print onto 12x18 sheets without issues using a Xerox Docucolor color laser print station. A 9 meg camera like the Fuji would, in theory, be able to provide 24 inches and possibly 36 with some loss. Unfortunately, if the camera can't take a super clean picture to begin with (ie, the Fuji), then your prints will show the grain regardless.

I have yet to try running prints off my brother's Roland 52 inch ecosol wide format printer. From what I've seen of the jobs he's run off it, the colors it brings out are absolutely brilliant. Of course, the stock I want doesn't come cheap and I'd have to buy it in a 10-20 foot roll :(. I have some posters I made using a similar wide format printer and an older 5 meg Nikon camera and they're absolutely stunning - and a good 18 or so inches wide from edge to edge...

Pako
I kind of forgot about it to... I was like strolling down memory lane looking at some of those old posts.

So how about that Nikon D70? Only 6MP but how does it compare to the Canon's 350 8MP cameras? It seems they class the two together and often compare the two even though the Canon has 2MP of resolution on it.
In my experience,the Nikon takes a slightly cleaner photo at ISO1600, and a slightly better stock lens. I also prefer the GUI on the Nikon to the Canon. I also found that the Canon's photos tended to come out with very warm colors for my tastes while the Nikon tended to lean towards cooler blue/greens which I prefer. Just keep in mind that the camera's color balance can be tweaked and that I was using the stock settings. There's very little difference between the cameras as far as their functionality goes. It's just a matter of what you have accessories for. The big drawback to the Canon is they don't fully support some of the older lenses which weren't built for the digital models - it prevents something like metering or autofocus or something like that. It's just an annoyance more than anything since it means you'll have to be careful what you buy off ebay if you decide to get some used glass

emad
I have yet to try running prints off my brother's Roland 52 inch ecosol wide format printer. From what I've seen of the jobs he's run off it, the colors it brings out are absolutely brilliant. Of course, the stock I want doesn't come cheap and I'd have to buy it in a 10-20 foot roll :(. I have some posters I made using a similar wide format printer and an older 5 meg Nikon camera and they're absolutely stunning - and a good 18 or so inches wide from edge to edge...
We have a 42" HP plotter at work. Ninety-nine percent of the time it is printing blueprints, bu we also have a roll of 36" high gloss paper. We've printed a few pictures of some of our projects and they have come out very nice. The one I am most proud of, and hear comments from people coming into the office is this one:
bank4qr.jpg

All of our pics are 16" wide in a 24" frame, so we just have a large white border around them.

Back on topic, I am still using my Konica-Minolta. Working great so far, but I have some minor issues with it.

emad
In my experience,the Nikon takes a slightly cleaner photo at ISO1600, and a slightly better stock lens. I also prefer the GUI on the Nikon to the Canon. I also found that the Canon's photos tended to come out with very warm colors for my tastes while the Nikon tended to lean towards cooler blue/greens which I prefer. Just keep in mind that the camera's color balance can be tweaked and that I was using the stock settings. There's very little difference between the cameras as far as their functionality goes. It's just a matter of what you have accessories for. The big drawback to the Canon is they don't fully support some of the older lenses which weren't built for the digital models - it prevents something like metering or autofocus or something like that. It's just an annoyance more than anything since it means you'll have to be careful what you buy off ebay if you decide to get some used glass

Eh, I'd have to disagree on either being better.

I've used both, and Currently own a Canon 20D, and the only reason you'd notice slightly cleaner images at 1600iso is because you didn't expose them properly, because I've used both, and I cannot tell a difference in noise between the two.

Second, neither takes photo's that are warmer or cooler, learning how to effectively use your white balance and shoot / edit in RAW is going to be the deciding factor of your photo's, not the hardware.

Third, I strongly suggest, if you are willing to throw down the cash on a D70 or 350, that you buy them w/out a kit lens.

Buying the Kit lens is only going to waste your money, save up a few hundred dollars and buy a good lense with better functionality. You can probably get a lens with an extra 100mm for about 80-110 more, and you'll be significantly happier with it.

If you happen to go with the Canon, then I say buy a 50mm prime and a 18-55 to start with, or even save up and go straight for a 17-85. Trust me, you'll want a wide angle lens, they're great to use, but hard for low light situations.

As for GUI etc, that's all up to personal taste and what you're comfortable with using, personally I think they're both the same as far as functionatliy, it's just a manner of using both and getting around, both are very easy to use.

I will agree that some lens's with Canons don't always work, but when getting a DSLR, you'll want to invest in new glass, and some good glass, esp with a canon, L series will always work with any Rebel or 1d/20d/10d/300d/etc, and they are PREMIUM lens's.

The wife got me a new camera ( I made a thread, and didn't see this one already existed. )

Its Sony's DSCW100 Cyber-shot® Digital Camera with 8.1 Megapixel Super HAD. I love the macro and close up shots of insects, plants, things like that. You can enlarge it and is clear enough to see the 500 eyes on a fly staring back at you...

Attachments

• DSCW100_en_1.jpg
    DSCW100_en_1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 8
tha_con
Eh, I'd have to disagree on either being better.

I've used both, and Currently own a Canon 20D, and the only reason you'd notice slightly cleaner images at 1600iso is because you didn't expose them properly, because I've used both, and I cannot tell a difference in noise between the two.

If anything, I would say Nikon's shoot with a bit more noise. Then again, I never recommend going above 800 iso.

tha_con
Second, neither takes photo's that are warmer or cooler, learning how to effectively use your white balance and shoot / edit in RAW is going to be the deciding factor of your photo's, not the hardware.

Agreed, but partially. With both cameras running on out of the box settings, I would say the Canon's seem to shoot a bit softer with warmer colours. The D70 on it's default settings was a bit more percise but lacked a rich contrast. The differences can be easily fixed on both cameras by adjusting the settings according to your taste.It's not like it really matters; once you get the photos into photoshop, it won't really matter anymore.

tha_con
As for GUI etc, that's all up to personal taste and what you're comfortable with using, personally I think they're both the same as far as functionatliy, it's just a manner of using both and getting around, both are very easy to use.

I don't know about this. I know alot of users that said they had an easier time getting used to a D series than a Rebel. GUI is only half the story anyways, the D70 seems to have a better overall functionality in handling and shooting. You can't argue that the D70 having two dials is far more better than only one. Shooting manual on a D feels "right" when you can easily adjust apt. and shutter instantly and simotaneously; and their placement is perfect on the camera. The overall feel of the D70 is alot more ergonomical, strongers, and feels better in the hands.

In my opinion, I like the D series more than the Rebel's; but it comes down to subjective taste for the most part.

the film camera that i use is a Canon Eos Elan 7, and my mother has a Canon 350d(Rebel XT) that i also use sometimes...

I own an OTEC DV-380 12MP Digital Video Camera

Specifications:
12.0 Mega Pixel Digital Video Camera
Internal 16MB Memory
Takes up to 1Gb SD card (hehehe, will then hold 500 pics at 4000x3000 and superfine res, or 5000 at 1024X768 superfine)
3.1 Mega Pixel 1/2" CMOS
8x Digital Zoom
2" LTPS LCD screen

gOoSeTeR is that any good as a still camera? I only ask because my Sony DV camera is useless at stills.

It is awesome as a still camera. That's how I mainly use it. Although I am just starting to get into using it more as a video cam. I will post up some photos tomorrow when it is light. The clarity drops significantly in low light, but under full dark (with flash) and bright light situations, it is wonderful.

I use, for the moment, a Nikon D50. In terms of lenses, I've got the stock 18-55, a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, a Nikkor AF-S VR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6, and a Tamron 80-210. I also have a Nikon Speedlight SB-600, a Manfrotto Jr. Tripod, and a Manfrotto monopod.

I also, by the way, bought a used F100 film SLR with the vertical battery grip today!

I'm starting school at Brooks Institute next month, in their three-year Professional Photography degree program. We're all film the first year, 35mm and 4x5, but once we hit the second year, I'll be picking up a D200, or, if it's available at that time, a D300.

Fuji Finepix 4800 zoom.

Its a good camera, but the optical zoom makes it hard to get sharp close up pictures, and its very very hard to take steady pictures with it. (theyre always blurred by hand movements).

And the zoom sucks, optical zoom makes it only zoom like 5 feet forward.

Takumi Fujiwara
I use, for the moment, a Nikon D50. In terms of lenses, I've got the stock 18-55, a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, a Nikkor AF-S VR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6, and a Tamron 80-210. I also have a Nikon Speedlight SB-600, a Manfrotto Jr. Tripod, and a Manfrotto monopod.

I also, by the way, bought a used F100 film SLR with the vertical battery grip today!

I'm starting school at Brooks Institute next month, in their three-year Professional Photography degree program. We're all film the first year, 35mm and 4x5, but once we hit the second year, I'll be picking up a D200, or, if it's available at that time, a D300.

How's the 50mm? My friend and I are thinking of picking one up each since they're so cheap but is it worth it when you already have a high quality midrange lens (28-75)?

speedy_2
Woot!! Just won one of these on ebay!! Only paid $70! I can't wait to get it.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
501.jpg

I hope you didn't pay much for shipping :( THat's the regular retail price if I'm not mistaken :P

I own one, and I love it. It's absolutely AMAZING for indoor shots, esp when light is limited. You will immediately notice you have to MOVE a lot more though, lol. But it definately takes some great shots, I use it a LOT (at least until I get some more lens's I want, haha)

I have a Canon A620, been using it for a couple of months now, great camera with a wealth of options to take you from novice to amateur and arrived to my door with a 1gb Sandisk card for £195!

Also got a Nikon F65 film SLR and a Olympus pocket 35mm which take great pics, the Canon though is a really great bit of kit for the money and is capable of some amazing shots once you learn how to set it up.

Dave

Nikon Coolpix 4100

It's actually a Coolpix 4300, but nevermind that since I now have a Canon Powershot G7. Excellent camera, really nice image quality for a compact (it'll fit in a jacket pocket or a large trouser pocket). It also has a somewhat usable ISO3200 mode too.
Picture005.jpg

Here are 3 of my 4 camera's. Nikon D80, D50, and Sony W100. Takin with my Nikon Coolpix P4. Did have a D70 but sold it to help pay for the D80's purchase. Love my Nikon's!

cams.jpg

Latest Posts

Back