The impact penalty: good or bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SuntoucherUK
  • 257 comments
  • 12,164 views
yeti
I like Citta... but the 10 second pen thing stops me scoring great times... cos I have to take it easy through some of the bends which loses me a lot of time!!

If I could go hell for leather through there then I would get a much better time.

C.

That last corner at Citta going up hill can be a killer. Im always smashing into it!! If I slow down some times I lose too much speed expecially on low powered cars.


TheCracker
You can't beat Midfield for a quick blast, its always the track i run when i'm using lap times to compare different cars. I can see Fuji filling that role in the future, its quick, challanging and doesn't have many 'micky mouse' sections.

Yeah midfield is a great track, thats the track I always use in GT3 to compare cars also. Now Tsukuba is the track I use in GT4:P and the one I will most likely use in GT4 (as best motoring does, so its easy to compare times).
 
Midfield is one of my favs too... high speed track with a couple of nice corner sections. From what i've seen Fuji looks like it's gonna be great.

As for Citta... can't wait to try it out... but passing on that course with a 6 car field would be next to impossible through some of those narrow sections.
 
TheCracker
You can't beat Midfield for a quick blast, its always the track i run when i'm using lap times to compare different cars. I can see Fuji filling that role in the future, its quick, challanging and doesn't have many 'micky mouse' sections.

Ditto, to the letter!!!
 
TheCracker
You can't expect to drive to your best ability when you feel invunrable. How many of us head into a hairpin, knowing we can break later than the AI cars in front, and just pile into the side of them, using them to slow us down - because we can without any penalty.

This is similar to the thoughts that were going through my mind as I read through much of this thread. I drove on a true road course for the first time several months ago. Prior to this event, I had driven on drag strips and at SCCA sponsored Autocross events only. I was very excited about being on a road course, and I imagined how it would be once I got there.

I tried to mentally prepare myself for how I planned on racing. By the time I was second in line waiting to be waved onto the track, I felt I had a good handle on how I would proceed. Once on the track, however, things changed VERY quickly....

Once out there "at speed", I realized that my carefuly laid plans needed to be thrown out the window. There was no way in hell I was going to toss my Cobra around corners like I had imagined I would. Yes, by the end of the day, I was lapping significantly better than the morning sessions, but it took practice. I'm telling you, when it's YOUR car that YOU worked hard for, the concrete walls blazing by at 130mph look awfully damn solid!

To put it in perspective, I ran a 2:01.334 time on my very first lap. By the end of the second day of racing, I managed a 1:37.002. THAT's how intimidating a real road course can be when running your own car. The idea of blasting through the track with a feeling of invincibility (like the quoted post states) is indeed quite unrealistic. I like the idea of implimenting some sort of "fear factor", even if it is only the fear of getting an unfair penalty.
 
The impact penalty system is to even out the online racing side of the game, pure and simple. If it is implimented in simulation mode for the person playing at home on the TV then I hope PD lets the player select if it is on or off.
If it is not selectable for the home user then you have 2 options open to you.
1: Cop the penalty and drive on and try to win the race.
2: Have a dummy spit and press the reset button on the PS2 and start again.
Good for online play, bad for one person playing sim mode at home.
 
Yeah, the online penalty is probably a good idea, just to make sure the game stays within the premise of realism that the designers intended.
Maybe some people remember Red Rock Valley in GT2...you could completely skip that first chicane, jump over the skirts through the grass, and actually gain a position or two before the next right-hander.
Same thing on Trial Mountain in any version.
Maybe it won't matter. I won't be surprised if ways to cut the corners and get crazy will be discovered in GT4.
 
yeah,.. i guess it can be somewhat of a good thing.. WHen battling my brother on trial mountain. whoever is chasing is always tempted to cheat on that turn and take the lead, so penalties will be good in GT4. I dont cheat or anything in "serious races" but i know 95% of gamers do. which you all will discover soon... hopefully :) November, right? There are many Shingos in the world of online racing...
 
Lethalchem
This is similar to the thoughts that were going through my mind as I read through much of this thread. I drove on a true road course for the first time several months ago. Prior to this event, I had driven on drag strips and at SCCA sponsored Autocross events only. I was very excited about being on a road course, and I imagined how it would be once I got there.

I tried to mentally prepare myself for how I planned on racing. By the time I was second in line waiting to be waved onto the track, I felt I had a good handle on how I would proceed. Once on the track, however, things changed VERY quickly....

Once out there "at speed", I realized that my carefuly laid plans needed to be thrown out the window. There was no way in hell I was going to toss my Cobra around corners like I had imagined I would. Yes, by the end of the day, I was lapping significantly better than the morning sessions, but it took practice. I'm telling you, when it's YOUR car that YOU worked hard for, the concrete walls blazing by at 130mph look awfully damn solid!

To put it in perspective, I ran a 2:01.334 time on my very first lap. By the end of the second day of racing, I managed a 1:37.002. THAT's how intimidating a real road course can be when running your own car. The idea of blasting through the track with a feeling of invincibility (like the quoted post states) is indeed quite unrealistic. I like the idea of implimenting some sort of "fear factor", even if it is only the fear of getting an unfair penalty.

Yes i was the same first time i ever raced. i'd played all the computer games and even driven road cars on the absolute limit, when when it comes to been straped into a proper quick car, full fireproofs, helmet, gloves and 30 other competitors around you - you suddenly realise your own mortality (and your cars) and your balls shrink to the size of peanuts. No amount of TV viewing/driving game playing or even quick road car driving can prepare you for that. And thats what keeps you from doing something stupid. GT needs some sort of penalty to stop you doing the same in the game.
 
IMO, the impact penalty is the best feature of this game!

👍
 
Rocket Punch wrote;
IMO, the impact penalty is the best feature of this game!

IMO, you'll be in the minority with that view. :)
 
Depens if you're new to GT's physics engine or not. If you've been playing EA racer all of your gaming life then you're going to hate that penalty. I like the new feature. When you crash in a wall/barrier/object your view starts bouncing around(realistically) (see skunkwerx vid).
 
To be honest i've become less of a fan of it now I started playing with the wheel. It seems every time i'd spin out i'd loose 10 seconds and then still have the effing penalty after i've recovered. It also seems to occur when you clip a hedge too hard in the rally mode.
 
Well, i guess the developers just expect more perfection from you. You should be flattered. :) They'll probably have an option to turn it off in multiplayer, maybe being able to turn it off in sp would be a bad idea. cus of people who use the AI as a cussion to take turns
 
i don't like it, specially if a computer car bumps me and the plenty goes on me. i think the black flag idea i read earlier in this thread is the best idea, if you want to have a plenty system. or just have an option to where you can turn off the plenty system.
 
Being able to turn it off would never be a bad idea, as your dust tastes disgusting and I wouldn't be able to use the AI as cushions in the IAG (if there's another one) but they would. :banghead:
 
yeti
I like Citta... but the 10 second pen thing stops me scoring great times... cos I have to take it easy through some of the bends which loses me a lot of time!!

If I could go hell for leather through there then I would get a much better time.

C.

Thats the whole point of the penalty system you wall riding maniac :)
(I mean maniac in a nice way of course ;)

I love Citta, a clean lap through there at pace makes a great replay.

In Arcade mode in Prologue you can still bash the AI cars as much as you like without getting any penalty at all. Its only in the lesson mode you get an instant fail, not a 10 second penalty either...

btw nightcreature its "Penalty" I can't believe you wrote plenty, three times! :lol:
 
Penalty means better races as you won't have the wallhuggers gaining unfair advantages, plus they'll actually have to learn to use the brakes.
 
Tacet_Blue
Thats the whole point of the penalty system you wall riding maniac :)
(I mean maniac in a nice way of course ;)

I love Citta, a clean lap through there at pace makes a great replay.

In Arcade mode in Prologue you can still bash the AI cars as much as you like without getting any penalty at all. Its only in the lesson mode you get an instant fail, not a 10 second penalty either...

btw nightcreature its "Penalty" I can't believe you wrote plenty, three times! :lol:


Well said about the clean lap part! 👍

I like all the tracks but Citta is something special, It all comes down to technique and these are the tracks that separate good driver from great ones. Doing laps by wall riding and corner cutting MIGHT SOMETIMES yield faster times but at the cost of breaching the rules and the whole concept of racing. :banghead:

Indeed, the true spirit of racing has long forgotten and now became a unacceptable concept by many. I for one are a true believer in good clean racing, ask anyone with any remote idea or experience in motorsport. 👍

As I said before "IMO, the impact penalty is the best feature of this game! "
 
I don't like the impact penalty; it's too arcady. If you hit the wall, just get back in the race. That penalty is going to piss me off especially in the proffessional league races. I rarely hit the wall, but people still make mistakes and anyone can lose control.
 
Sound like a good idea somewhat. I have friends that play very aggressive and go full blast in corners right to my side and smash me into the wall. :(
 
Thing is though...is if your mate smashes you into a wall, you'd get the impact penalty and he'd be fine. :crazy:

There is no penalty for smacking into other cars as yet, just walls. And you have to hit them pretty hard to get it, so it doesn't stop wall riding.

I'd like to see the walls really grab the car and slow it down loads, with a nasty scratchy metal on stone sound! That should put them off, maybe have the value of the car drop as well :lol:
 
Not all walls do slow the car excessively. Concrete walls do tend to suck the car into them and slow it dramatically, but metallic barriers for example absorb the energy of impact and the car will generally slide along with a comparatively minute speed loss.
 
after reading many posts about this issue, it seems to me that the penalty system poses more of a problem/irritation than adding to the game. so in that respect i would say do not include it at all unless a fairer/better system is developed or the penalty system can be activated/deactivated by users for both offline and online games.

the game is supposed to be entertaining. and i dont think i'd find it entertaining if i'm getting cheated by AI cars slamming into me and me getting a penalty.
 
icon
after reading many posts about this issue, it seems to me that the penalty system poses more of a problem/irritation than adding to the game. so in that respect i would say do not include it at all unless a fairer/better system is developed or the penalty system can be activated/deactivated by users for both offline and online games.

the game is supposed to be entertaining. and i dont think i'd find it entertaining if i'm getting cheated by AI cars slamming into me and me getting a penalty.
I agree with you 100%; you should be able to turn off the impact penalty online or offline. Say an a.i. car slams you into a wall then you get panalized.
 
_aj
Penalty means better races as you won't have the wallhuggers gaining unfair advantages, plus they'll actually have to learn to use the brakes.

well there are few exploits in the tracks in gt3 for people to cheat. If you use the perfect raceline on most courses and push ur car to the max racing against a comparable car you will win, that is unless ur on trial mountain :). Just about every couse is pretty well layed out in gt3. So we can expect more from gt4 courses. And the AI to be smarter and not pretend we dont exist and ram us :) Well i hope im right for the sake of us all
 
If the penalty system is similar to the one in the Toyota Demo, I'm all for it. No, I don't think having the option to turn off the penalty in GT4 would ever happen. It defeats the entire purppse of having the thing in the game. PD puts the penalty system in the game for a reason, to stop the cheating. If that was an important reason enough to include into the new game, then why the hell would PD allow you the option to turn it off? If one person as it turned off, they'll all be turned off. Then, PD would have to make an online feature that would have races with penalty on, or penalty off. I don't think PD wants to do all that extra work, do you?
 
highly skilled racing is about respect and, skill, lol. But u gotta face the fact that most people who will play gt4 will suck, so the respect isnt there. When your having a breaking battle w/ someone for inches and its time to turn in, somebody's gotta back off, lol. Or you risk the chance of spinning him out and pissing him off, or taking urself out, or both. It was damn near impossible to t-bone someone in gt3 and if they changed that then maybe they dont need impact penalty for advanced private servers maybe. But most people dont have that respect/ patience/fear whatever u wanna call it not to let the other person take/ keep the lead if the other person is in a better position. So... the impact penalty will force that on them, lol. I think thats what is bothering u all. being forced to be careful and not only watch urself but others. but thats part of racing. and plane old driving. :) am i just talking jibberish or what? lol i've gone 48 hours w/ out sleep YAY!!! :scared:
 
Gabkicks
highly skilled racing is about respect and, skill, lol. But u gotta face the fact that most people who will play gt4 will suck, so the respect isnt there. When your having a breaking battle w/ someone for inches and its time to turn in, somebody's gotta back off, lol. Or you risk the chance of spinning him out and pissing him off, or taking urself out, or both. It was damn near impossible to t-bone someone in gt3 and if they changed that then maybe they dont need impact penalty for advanced private servers maybe. But most people dont have that respect/ patience/fear whatever u wanna call it not to let the other person take/ keep the lead if the other person is in a better position. So... the impact penalty will force that on them, lol. I think thats what is bothering u all. being forced to be careful and not only watch urself but others. but thats part of racing. and plane old driving. :) am i just talking jibberish or what? lol i've gone 48 hours w/ out sleep YAY!!! :scared:

Yep, it shows. lol

I once went 52 hours without sleep for part of a college psychology course credit and I had to quit because I started to see spiders lol, that would pulsate into different colors, much like a UFO sighting lol, crawling all over the floor and all over the school desks. lol They made me sleep, but I didn't want to. It was a trip watching all those spiders, I didn't want to miss the show. lol

So, why are you staying up for so damn long?
 
Back