the "just plain ugly" car thread

BMW's Vision iNext is all kinds of :yuck:
inext-804.jpg
All I can see when I look at the grille and headlights is...
520px-020Raticate_AG_anime.png

BMW's Vision iNext is all kinds of :yuck:
inext-804.jpg
This was just uploaded:

Edit: Quoted post was merely used as a springboard, not as something in need of a response.

Had I been thinking, I would have edited the quote in to avoid triggering an alert. Apologies.

Last edited:
Many people are going to beg to differ but the Honda Civic Type-R is such an ugly car that I don't even want one for free.

Wait, I take one for free but I sell it.

View attachment 768751
If the front and rear bumpers weren't almost entirely fake vents then it'd go a long way to improving the overall look, but "chunks of flat black plastic in stupid places" seems to be the latest craze in Asian car design. Right next to "floating roof, but with 75% of the C-pillar still visible thus defeating the whole point of doing a floating roof design in the first place".

The Type-R does look like a dog's dinner but it's sportiness does at least lend itself to having huge (if fake) vents/scoops. The other Civics in the range, with 120hp CVT's just look ridiculous with them. Honda and Toyota really need to take a long hard look at the crap they're putting out at the moment, it's a really bad era for Japanese car design right now.

2017-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-Sport-Touring-front-three-quarter-in-motion-02.jpg

Pure ugliness.

Schuppan 962CR.

962CR-05-860x574.jpg
If Dauer 962 is just a road-going Porsche 962, this Schuppan, for some reason, is also visually redesigned to resemble 911/959. One of examples when using same design language on vastly different cars doesn't end well.

If Dauer 962 is just a road-going Porsche 962, this Schuppan, for some reason, is also visually redesigned to resemble 911/959. One of examples when using same design language on vastly different cars doesn't end well.
I'll agree with that. It kinda seems to be taking the design cues of the 959 onto a 962 chassis, and it...didn't really work. Like at all. It's like a 962 has stretched over 959-like face skin over itself.

The Type-R does look like a dog's dinner but it's sportiness does at least lend itself to having huge (if fake) vents/scoops. The other Civics in the range, with 120hp CVT's just look ridiculous with them. Honda and Toyota really need to take a long hard look at the crap they're putting out at the moment, it's a really bad era for Japanese car design right now.

View attachment 769018
You sound just like my dad.

View attachment 769018
And so are the Koreans as well, right?

2017-hyundai-elantra-review-autoguide-news-pertaining-to-2017-hyundai-elantra-review.jpg

Btw, why the hell does this design start to get so much common these days? Bumpers start to get larger headlamps while actual headlamps start to become squinted, good enough to become DRLs. I mean c'mon.

images

images

images

Last edited:
And so are the Koreans as well, right?

I don't think Korean cars at the moment are looking too bad. A bit derivative maybe, but not the riot of disjointed, unconnected slashes and angles that Toyota and Honda are going for right now. Having said that, the most recent of Hyundai's offerings are starting to sport some odd detailing too. It's like they're trying to copy Citroen's recent styling clues, but without the panache.

38442a651ca89e005159b136b3483221x.jpg

I don't think Korean cars at the moment are looking too bad. A bit derivative maybe, but not the riot of disjointed, unconnected slashes and angles that Toyota and Honda are going for right now. Having said that, the most recent of Hyundai's offerings are starting to sport some odd detailing too. It's like they're trying to copy Citroen's recent styling clues, but without the panache.

View attachment 771615
I could point out some of their models look too flashy but some models, like the ones from Kia, look decent and rational. However, some of their models also seem to be pretentious in terms of looking like luxury and demanding a premium price tag but I guess they're just trying to fit in a market where known luxury marques like Lexus, Jaguar or Audi currently are. Maybe it's because Kia's current chief designer, Peter Schreyer, has influenced the company to engage competing there when he started designing their models for them, since that guy was also a former designer from Audi.

Indeed. I fully appreciate the engineering and attention to detail Pagani put into it (most notably the interior), but styling wise it's always looked like a Zonda with an allergic reaction to something.

Latest Posts

Back