the "just plain ugly" car thread

This is bad enough as it is without choosing "baby food beige" as the colour. :crazy:

novitec_mcl72s_nlargo_pic01.jpg
novitec_mcl72s_nlargo_pic03.jpg
It looks like it's made from earwax.

Think it's safe to say the Storm, visually at least, was better suited to life on the track than off it.

Of the two race trims, the GTL actually wasn't that bad looking.

The Storm normally looks good.

I concur with that. Very cool looking design for the period.

I'd say all versions of the Storm look good, but the race variants to stand out more. Though the one type of Storm which could be considered ugly, is the Storm LMP (No relation to the original Storm of course).

Lister Storm LMP.jpg

You think that design is ugly? :crazy:
I mean...the quarter windows are nice, I guess.

It's like they took a sporty-ish FWD econobox (something like an Integra), widened it right down the middle, took the standard engine out and hammered the nose in an effort to reduce frontal area (an odd decision given the desire to wedge a big V12 in there), got creative by putting a diagonal crease in the side (which is the only straight line on the danged thing, by the way) all the way into an integrated spoiler at the rear above some B3 Audi 80 taillights, oh but the thing still wasn't wide enough so they ballooned the front fenders and put a curved bulge in the rear, conflicting with that diagonal crease.

Edit: Perhaps the worst bit is the bodywork surrounding those quarter windows, since they apparently wanted to pinch the canopy toward the rear but couldn't be bothered to narrow the rear glass and so you've got this strange negative space.

I concur with that. Very cool looking design for the period.

I'd say all versions of the Storm look good, but the race variants to stand out more. Though the one type of Storm which could be considered ugly, is the Storm LMP (No relation to the original Storm of course).

View attachment 784548

I honestly never understood the problem people had with how this car looked. I think it looked good then and compared to some more recent LMP machinery, it's positively a beauty queen.

I honestly never understood the problem people had with how this car looked. I think it looked good then and compared to some more recent LMP machinery, it's positively a beauty queen.

That's very true I suppose, whilst not the prettiest, it's certainly not the worst in LMP trim. At least prototypes used to have a greater sense of individual identity about them, unlike now where current LMP's tend to follow a vary similar design pattern, and end up looking a bit same-same these days. Hopefully something the "Hypercar" LMP1 rules can rectify.

It's like they took a sporty-ish FWD econobox (something like an Integra), widened it right down the middle, took the standard engine out and hammered the nose in an effort to reduce frontal area (an odd decision given the desire to wedge a big V12 in there), got creative by putting a diagonal crease in the side (which is the only straight line on the danged thing, by the way) all the way into an integrated spoiler at the rear above some B3 Audi 80 taillights, oh but the thing still wasn't wide enough so they ballooned the front fenders and put a curved bulge in the rear, conflicting with that diagonal crease.
I'm going to be completely honest, I do not see what your seeing about the stretched econobox comment, the design imo blends in with a lot of the styling choices going on with supercars in the 1990s. Other things you mentioned such as the crease on the side (only straight line? Um, what about the straight lines on the front and rear ends of the car?), the body work distance between the rear panels, the front fenders, and the curved bulge in the rear don't really bother me. If anything, I think the front end looks okay; it reminds me of the Lancia Stratos from the front.

To note, I'm not saying it's a beautiful thing; I just don't see it as an eyesore.

To note, I'm not saying it's a beautiful thing; I just don't see it as an eyesore.
I get that, and I readily acknowledge that the world would be a pretty boring place if everyone thought as everyone else, but there's a fair amount of wiggle room between "beautiful" and "eyesore", and I generally think of "good" as being much closer to the former than the latter. When prompted with a request to elaborate as to why I thought it wasn't "good" (at least that's how I interpreted your question), I didn't hesitate.

I get that, and I readily acknowledge that the world would be a pretty boring place if everyone thought as everyone else, but there's a fair amount of wiggle room between "beautiful" and "eyesore", and I generally think of "good" as being much closer to the former than the latter. When prompted with a request to elaborate as to why I thought it wasn't "good" (at least that's how I interpreted your question), I didn't hesitate.
Oh for sure there's a lot of wiggle room, I think the design is around the middle. To note, my initial question wasn't serious; I was just messing with you (though I guess I should know better than use the crazy smiley when trying to make a joke). However, it was nice to hear your elaboration regardless. 👍

Need I say more?

exterior-3.jpg

Good. Now to clear my search history
I'd say that the whole pinched-face look that Toyota is doing in general these days is just daft. Putting all kinds of severe angles and sharp edges on the front of a sedate 4-door is nothing but tacky.

I'd say that the whole pinched-face look that Toyota is doing in general these days is just daft. Putting all kinds of severe angles and sharp edges on the front of a sedate 4-door is nothing but tacky.

The Prius never looked great, but it looks like the designer made this while he was screwing a dog. And drunk.

Back