The Le Mans General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by arvin charles, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Bo

Bo Premium

It will always be the most beautiful GT car of all time, for me. It really does make me quite emotional.

fortbo and catamount39 like this.
  2. Holdenhsvgtsr

Holdenhsvgtsr

[​IMG]

TeamCZRRacing and wowbaggerBR like this.
  3. Furi

Furi Premium

That really is not a constructive post in the slightest....

4. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

Which point did I miss? My point is, as a paying spectator the event is not one I'll do again, nor one I'd recommend. I appreciate that that fact amounts to nothing as far as the organisers are concerned, but it does seem a little crazy to have something there which would help rectify the situation and only use it to give the marshals somewhere to park.. and I'll admit that it's not the most practical solution given the space constraints, but that's part of the reason I put the subject up for discussion.

TenEightyOne likes this.
  5. Sertsa

Sertsa

MatskiMonk - Regarding your statement on fences at Le Mans and Nurburgring. I'm not sure if you are aware, but a spectator was fatally injured at a Nurburgring endurance race earlier this year. I don't know if more fencing would have made a difference in that case.

At any rate, I've been reading your statements with interest, as I would like to attend a Le Mans at some point (and see the Nurburgring and maybe even Spa). So thanks for impressions. In any case, I imagine over a quarter million people in a concentrated area, many of which will sleep deprived, would take a lot of effort just to keep everything from breaking down into chaos.

6. Bo

Bo Premium

More fencing doesn't do a thing if you deliberately circumvent it. It doesn't happen at other tracks at least, and hopefully it never happens again.

Sertsa likes this.
  7. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

Yep, infact I think I stood at Flugplatz and posted a picture from there in the N24 thread on GTP exclaiming how much of a joke I thought it was.

Yep.. I'm doing Spa 24 this year too, so I'll be able to compare myself in a few weeks. As for Le Mans, if it's something you wanted to do, I wouldn't talk you out of it, I'm glad I did it, I just won't do it again, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, and I don't think it's worth the money. Plenty of people go and have a great time, I've just got very little patience for poor circuits it seems. IF I were to do it again my plan would be to throw a lot more money at it -- when you line up at passport control at Calais and you're next to two Porsche 918's, you realise that money does equal happiness... at least as far as going to Le Mans is concerned.

Sertsa likes this.
  8. neljack

neljack

9. Organ-Donor

Organ-Donor

10. Snaeper

Snaeper Premium

Resurrects a post from 2014...

Little did Brutaka know that his typo was actually correct...

Il_Conte_Sky likes this.
  11. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

I wouldnt want to see Circuit de la Sarthe changed at all unless they were getting rid of the chicanes on the Mulsanne. Theres plenty of poor circuits with good vantage points in the spirtscar calendar.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  12. G.T.Ace

G.T.Ace

Looking gorgeous so far.

13. Kingofweasles

Kingofweasles

I'm getting Ferarri FXX-K Evo vibes from those wing-mount fins. But yeah it's gorgeous.

14. Swagger897

Swagger897 Premium

Not exactly a fan of where the FIA want to take this direction with the WEC... It's just going to turn into the new F1 with overly-posh and glitzy designs...

15. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

That's a strange take what's overly posh and glitzy about F1? If it was up to the teams they'd actually look that way which was circa 2010/2011

16. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

I'm personally looking forward to the new "Hyper car" regulations. Hopefully it'll bring manufacturers back to the top class of the series. I've found LMP1 really lacking these past couple of seasons, with Toyota being the only major manufacturer competing in it.

17. Swagger897

Swagger897 Premium

If it weren't so heavily regulated/unfair for different classes within the LMP1 category, it wouldn't have lost all the manufactures that it has..

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  18. wowbaggerBR

wowbaggerBR

This gave some Lola/Aston Martin B09 feelings about the new Aston effort: it will look cool and sound great, but probably nothing else.

19. TheElbows

TheElbows

I've been curious about how quiet almost all of the podcasts have been about the HyperCar regs. They featured prominently for several months a while back, and now the odd calm has settled, and no one seems to have much in the way of answers.

Personally I don't care where they go, but they need to go somewhere. The top class of LeMans has been..awful lately, and the ACO isn't making much money off it either. I think when the new regulations launch it's going to be painful watching it grow/evolve into something useful.

20. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Wait what? So you don't think it will probably be one of the bigger if not biggest threats in the series? The car in part is off a platform designed by a guy that has designed some of the most successful race cars, how will it seemingly look cool and sound great but nothing else?

wowbaggerBR likes this.
  21. wowbaggerBR

wowbaggerBR

"Wait, what? An opinion!"

I don't know, opinions and such? Didn't we spend the last few years seeing where not having a hybrid powerplant leaves hopeful guys trying to beat the ones who got them?

22. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

First you have a view point based on history, "factual" racing information/news, and so forth. It's not simply "my opinion" when you're basing a view point of real info. If you like chocolate ice cream more than vanilla on the other hand, sure complete opinion.

Now as for the last few years, there is a massive difference between an established manufacture, with manufacture money, tools and all in house work. While also playing the system a bit when it came to BoP. Not only that but then you have the teams they faced being efforts that are taking in third party chassis and engines, making them work on smaller budgets with less development tools and drivers that aren't nearly as seasoned at times or some that are and others that aren't.

Now you have a team that is playing in the new rules, where everything is a fresh restart, the BoP can't be gamed, and it's a factory effort using actual endurance drivers, and a platform that is very strong. Along with also using different methods to achieve performance that hybrids can't. Also F1 proved at one time cars with a limited hybrid output against those without it can fight on equal ground.

Quakebass likes this.
  23. G.T.Ace

G.T.Ace

Quakebass likes this.
  24. Rossell2

Rossell2

Looks fairly streamlined and inoffensive, then the back end blows your mind.

G.T.Ace likes this.
  25. NotThePrez

NotThePrez

It looks like....a production car? I know that's kind of the point of the new class, but I was expecting more prominent wings and diffusers and canards and the like.

On another note, apparently the GT2 category will be returning next year (at least in North America) but I cannot find any info about this announcement. Only thing that I'm finding is the the Audi R8 LMS GT2 that was shown off earlier this year was built for the category.

G.T.Ace likes this.
  26. UnkaD

UnkaD

For me it's the proportions that make it seem a little too "roadish" for lack of a better description. I feel like the larger cockpit dome is the main culprit. Good-looking car any way. Definitely makes me think of GT1 before 1998.

raven214 and G.T.Ace like this.
  27. G.T.Ace

G.T.Ace

I'm sure the design isn't final. There'll definitely be some aero changes in the end.

UnkaD likes this.
  28. raven214

raven214

Proportionally, the greenhouse looks rather large compared to the rear of the car. It's kind of odd, but the rest is looking good.

29. TheElbows

TheElbows

It isn't pretty, but it's more interesting looking than a wave of LMP2 Orecas, etc. I'm just glad to see someone is actually doing something about their Hypercar. The quiet on all fronts is not encouraging.