The little things that make you LOVE GT SPORT.

Didn't notice until while looking through my recent LEC entry images that the Gr.4 Alfa has this tiny little black box tucked within the rear bumper. Rear-view camera, perhaps?

Alfa_4C_Gr.4_camera.jpg

The second chicane at Monza with the orange barriers. If they’re tipped over and you drive into one at high speed it’ll act as a ramp and launch your car 20 feet in the air! It’s a sweet overtake/stunt move if done right.

You can do the same with them at Barcelona. Though somebody hitting them in race settings is rare.

Didn't notice until while looking through my recent LEC entry images that the Gr.4 Alfa has this tiny little black box tucked within the rear bumper. Rear-view camera, perhaps?

View attachment 979729
Yes, the 4C racecars have an opaque engine cover in place of the transparent hatch on the road car, so it needs a camera. You can visibly see it doesn't have a rear view mirror and has a display on the dashboard:

I was making a Scapes with a cockpit view of the Porsche 356A/1500 GS GT Carrera Speedster 1956 (not in the cockpit but angled to see into it).
I switched headlights on (low) - and all the cockpit dials lit up.
Then I switched from low to high beam - and the high beam indicator lamp lit up!
Wow!!! Never noticed that (on any car) before! Amazing.

Last edited:
I was making a Scapes with a cockpit view of the Porsche 356A/1500 GS GT Carrera Speedster 1956 (not in the cockpit but angled to see into it).
I switched headlights on (low) - and all the cockpit dials lit up.
Then I switched from low to high beam - and the high beam indicator lamp lit up!
Wow!!! Never noticed that (on any car) before! Amazing.
Many cars also feature a working parking brake indicator light as well when it is engaged.

Yes, the 4C racecars have an opaque engine cover in place of the transparent hatch on the road car, so it needs a camera. You can visibly see it doesn't have a rear view mirror and has a display on the dashboard:

Having that camera is awesome while using cockpit mode. It offers a much clearer view of what is behind you. If you look to the rear it won't show you such obstacles like roll bars and such of the interior of the car. Very helpful while racing.

Abit of a lengthy post I admit, but I just love the background detail in this game. Not just with certain sounds or placement of things, but the assets as well.

One example that I recently got reminded of was Special Stage Route X courtesy of this video:

As a massive aviation buff, I already loved seeing the airlines flyover at BMB so seeing the background in the infield airport of SSRX always intrigued me and this video allows me to finally pick out and identify things that otherwise would've been abit more tricky normally.

upload_2021-2-16_18-28-0.png

upload_2021-2-16_18-28-50.png

upload_2021-2-16_18-29-32.png

00:23 - 1:16: Right out the gate, the very airliner we've seen from BMB (Only in its Classic American Airlines parody livery here). This has always fascinated me as right off, I always suspected it was modelled after a Boeing aircraft (Something from the 767 series in particular) and now with this up close video, it does indeed appear to be. While it seems to for the most part be based on the 767-300ER (A model specifically flown by American Airlines in both its modern and classic liveries), the engines seem different as they seem to more closely resemble the ones on the Airbus A330.

767-300ER
American_Airlines_Boeing_767-300ER_%28N39365%29_at_Miami_International_Airport.jpg

Airbus A330
detail_a330-1-900x636.jpg

What is cool though is you can actually see the turbines spinning, a detail I didn't think was actually present here seeing as this is on something that you normally would not be able to have this detailed of an upclose view on.

upload_2021-2-16_17-36-4.png

4:15: These are the little jets you see that flyover at BMB during one of the license missions (and are also the very same ones in the very first E3 Gran Turismo 5 trailer). Went to see what they were and it appears that they are modelled after the Thunderstreak RC Plane produced by Phoenix Model:

maxresdefault.jpg

Of course the accuracy is not exactly on point or the most detailed but that likely makes it even more obvious that its an asset reused.

upload_2021-2-16_18-39-44.png

2:45-2:48: This was quite another interesting one to see, Largely modelled off the C-17 Globemaster III, but interestingly the top of the tail seems to come from the C-5 Galaxy instead.

Globemaster III
United_States_Air_Force_%2805-5140%29_Boeing_C-17_Globemaster_III_taxiing_at_the_2019_Australian_International_Airshow_%281%29.jpg

Galaxy
giant-military-cargo-aircraft-lockheed-c-5-galaxy-takes-off-news-photo-1569438578.jpg

While I can't seem to quite nail down what has the propellers (which to my surprise are spinning as the turbines on the airline were, another neat and unexpected detail), their seems to be abit of barrowing from the Antonov aircraft family that begins with tail rudders coming from the An-124:

upload_2021-2-16_19-25-29.png

20200309%20IWA%20DSC_9499%20An-124-100M%20UR-82009%20ntonov%20Design%20Bureau%20right%20frontlanding%20m.jpg

It gets more interesting with the last piece of asset.

upload_2021-2-16_19-34-35.png

upload_2021-2-16_19-42-47.png

2:49-2:54: Now we get to these aircraft, one with its front nose door open and the other closed. Right off that feature as well as the shape gives away that its modelled on the C-5 Galaxy and in an interesting case of roll reversal, this has the top of the tail from the C-17 Globemaster III from earlier. More notably though, remember how I mentioned the barrowing from certain Antonov aircraft? Well here it is. Sure the plane maintains the Galaxy's shape and GE Turbofan engines, but the combination of seeing 3 of them on each wing as well as the upside down forked tail look to come directly inspired by the AN-225

1200px-Antonov_An-225_Beltyukov-1.jpg

Edit: Interestingly, its just now occured to me that the aircraft has switched wings as well, the C-17 shape having the Globemaster's wings and vice versa).

Anyhow, that video was just pleasant to see as I wanted to see more of SSRX specifically to look at all these details and I was finally able to.

Last edited:
Abit of a lengthy post I admit, but I just love the background detail in this game. Not just with certain sounds or placement of things, but the assets as well.

One example that I recently got reminded of was Special Stage Route X courtesy of this video:

As a massive aviation buff, I already loved seeing the airlines flyover at BMB so seeing the background in the infield airport of SSRX always intrigued me and this video allows me to finally pick out and identify things that otherwise would've been abit more tricky normally.

View attachment 992177

View attachment 992178

View attachment 992179

00:23 - 1:16: Right out the gate, the very airliner we've seen from BMB (Only in its Classic American Airlines parody livery here). This has always fascinated me as right off, I always suspected it was modelled after a Boeing aircraft (Something from the 767 series in particular) and now with this up close video, it does indeed appear to be. While it seems to for the most part be based on the 767-300ER (A model specifically flown by American Airlines in both its modern and classic liveries), the engines seem different as they seem to more closely resemble the ones on the Airbus A330.

767-300ER
American_Airlines_Boeing_767-300ER_%28N39365%29_at_Miami_International_Airport.jpg

Airbus A330
detail_a330-1-900x636.jpg

What is cool though is you can actually see the turbines spinning, a detail I didn't think was actually present here seeing as this is on something that you normally would not be able to have this detailed of an upclose view on.

View attachment 992171

4:15: These are the little jets you see that flyover at BMB during one of the license missions (and are also the very same ones in the very first E3 Gran Turismo 5 trailer). Went to see what they were and it appears that they are modelled after the Thunderstreak RC Plane produced by Phoenix Model:

maxresdefault.jpg

Of course the accuracy is not exactly on point or the most detailed but that likely makes it even more obvious that its an asset reused.

View attachment 992180

2:45-2:48: This was quite another interesting one to see, Largely modelled off the C-17 Globemaster III, but interestingly the top of the tail seems to come from the C-5 Galaxy instead.

Globemaster III
United_States_Air_Force_%2805-5140%29_Boeing_C-17_Globemaster_III_taxiing_at_the_2019_Australian_International_Airshow_%281%29.jpg

Galaxy
giant-military-cargo-aircraft-lockheed-c-5-galaxy-takes-off-news-photo-1569438578.jpg

While I can't seem to quite nail down what has the propellers (which to my surprise are spinning as the turbines on the airline were, another neat and unexpected detail), their seems to be abit of barrowing from the Antonov aircraft family that begins with tail rudders coming from the An-124:

View attachment 992194

20200309%20IWA%20DSC_9499%20An-124-100M%20UR-82009%20ntonov%20Design%20Bureau%20right%20frontlanding%20m.jpg

It gets more interesting with the last piece of asset.

View attachment 992195

View attachment 992197

2:49-2:54: Now we get to these aircraft, one with its front nose door open and the other closed. Right off that feature as well as the shape gives away that its modelled on the C-5 Galaxy and in an interesting case of roll reversal, this has the top of the tail from the C-17 Globemaster III from earlier. More notably though, remember how I mentioned the barrowing from certain Antonov aircraft? Well here it is. Sure the plane maintains the Galaxy's shape and GE Turbofan engines, but the combination of seeing 3 of them on each wing as well as the upside down forked tail look to come directly inspired by the AN-225

1200px-Antonov_An-225_Beltyukov-1.jpg

Anyhow, that video was just pleasant to see as I wanted to see more of SSRX specifically to look at all these details and I was finally able to.

You did this in GTS?? How do you drive over to the airplanes??

Globemaster III

Galaxy

I don't want to be that guy but how can you call yourself an aviation buff and not know about the A400M?
195ac1e18d16256064d5f476c51aff90.jpg

I don't want to be that guy but how can you call yourself an aviation buff and not know about the A400M?
View attachment 992789

I am well aware of the Atlas, but the fuselage shape of both aircraft lean heavily towards the Galaxy and the Globemaster III. Also, the propellers look nothing like the ones on the Atlas do.

Last edited:
I am well aware of the Atlas, but the fuselage shape of both aircraft lean heavily towards the Galaxy and the Globemaster III. Also, the propellers look nothing like the ones on the Atlas do.
Yes I know but I'm pretty sure that's what PD are trying to imitate here.

Yes I know but I'm pretty sure that's what PD are trying to imitate here.

So you questioned me being an aviation buff purely because I didn't at all consider that they might have been trying to imitate another aircraft? :odd: I'm geniunely confused as all I did was point stuff out I noticed while more or less sharing my love for the whole thing.

Last edited:
So you questioned me being an aviation buff purely because I didn't at all consider that they might have been trying to imitate another aircraft? :odd: I'm geniunely confused as all I did was point stuff out I noticed while more or less sharing my love for the whole thing.

I am a little confused as to why you are being questioned on this too. It takes a true aviation buff to notice that the plane is "off" which obviously it is.

Imma play devil's advocate here.

Putting their snarky comment aside, they have a valid suggestion.

The angle of the engines themselves fits, even though their rough engine design doesn't. The angle and shape of the wings fit, including their connection points. The only real off-putting difference is the taller and wider fuselage.

Also you can't really tell how the propellers look in a low poly/texture model that's designed to fill in the atmosphere of an airport next to a track.

These are just rough approximation of their design, and the Atlas is a clear candidate because there is no other fuselage that looks like it.

Last edited:
The angle of the engines themselves fits, even though their rough engine design doesn't. The angle and shape of the wings fit, including their connection points. The only real off-putting difference is the taller and wider fuselage.

I'm under the impression the Wings are actually another switched part from the C5 and their connection to that fuselage only makes appear that it comes from the Atlas. I understand though where they would be trying to imitate the concept of a propeller driven Aircraft.

Also you can't really tell how the propellers look in a low poly/texture model that's designed to fill in the atmosphere of an airport next to a track.

This is where I completely misworded my response, I meant the engines themselves and not the propellers as they didn't have the same shape and again I couldn't think of an Heavy airlift Plane in that size range that had engines resembling exactly like that.

These are just rough approximation of their design, and the Atlas is a clear candidate because there is no other fuselage that looks like it

I think this is where the contention (as weirdly as I never meant for it) comes from: When I went about analyzing and making the observations I did, I looked less at the rough intent and more at what exactly was used or how it was used so I never made the connection that the Globemaster modelled shape with its propellers could be a rough approximation of the Atlas. I was even making sure I didn't overlook the possibility that it also could've been the Kawasaki C2 or the Embraer KC-390 (Though the fuel probe on the latter instantly made me disregard that).

Anyhow, I like this convo better then what I got surprised and confused by.

Last edited:
When I went about analyzing and making the observations I did, I looked less at the rough intent and more at what exactly was used or how it was used so I never made the connection that the Globemaster modelled shape with its propellers could be a rough approximation of the Atlas.

:P :P

This is an example of Bottom-up Processing. You looked at the details first and then the bigger picture instead of Top-down Processing where you look at the bigger picture first and then analyze the details.

(This is a gross oversimplification of how one thinks under these two processes but that's the jist)

Well when I saw it, the first aircraft that came to mind was an A400M and I thought you'd make the same connection but obviously not... That's why I questioned your knowledge of aircraft.

Well when I saw it, the first aircraft that came to mind was an A400M and I thought you'd make the same connection but obviously not... That's why I questioned your knowledge of aircraft.

I had a much different thought process as pointed out so it wasn't something I looked at and came to the same conclusion. Only time I even thought of the Atlas was ironically with the engines, but immediately disregarded it because they looked nothing at all alike (again, looking at exacts rather then the rough idea).

Wow, awesome post! Thanks!

You did this in GTS?? How do you drive over to the airplanes??

I was wondering that too, as did a poster or two at YouTube. At one stage the car was driving over water so I suspect some trickery? But tomorrow I'm going to do my best to find out how to get into the airport! :cheers:

Wow, awesome post! Thanks!

I was wondering that too, as did a poster or two at YouTube. At one stage the car was driving over water so I suspect some trickery? But tomorrow I'm going to do my best to find out how to get into the airport! :cheers:

I looked around SSRX but could not find an obvious entry, there must be some trickery going on, if you find it please share.

Back