The Lucid Dream // Dreaming Thread

• Thread starter Sttrobe
  • 594 comments
In the long weekend coming up I might try some of these techniques, because lucid dreaming sounds like such an amazing experience.

Mostly luck for me. However I both got them after I woke up early in the morning and fell back asleep. i.e. I woke up at 6am, fell asleep at 6.15 and got the dream before 7am.

I think it requires determination aswell, knowing that fact that it most likely wont happen in the first few days or even weeks or months, on the forum I suggested earlier there was a guy who tried for a year before he got his first lucid dream.

To the guy who uses reality checks: try using a totem. ;) [/Inception reference]

Damn, that sucks.

That being said it doesn't by any means mean it will take everybody a year, it didn't for me, a month or two I reckon.

And I considered using totem but it would be a bit inconvenient pulling out a spin top or what have you in the middle of a public place. :P

Inceptions a great film though..haha

I just had one for the first time in almost a year. I think I know why though. I had accidentally set my alarm clock for seven in the morning the night before, and forgot to shut it off for last night's sleep. Therefore, I unexpectedly got awoken at seven in the morning when I could have slept in. I immediately shut the clock off, and fell back asleep. However, I believe going from a sleeping state, to an awake/alert state, and then quickly back into a sleeping state is what made me realize that I was dreaming. It was as if the alarm clock reminded me I was dreaming.

I just had one for the first time in almost a year. I think I know why though. I had accidentally set my alarm clock for seven in the morning the night before, and forgot to shut it off for last night's sleep. Therefore, I unexpectedly got awoken at seven in the morning when I could have slept in. I immediately shut the clock off, and fell back asleep. However, I believe going from a sleeping state, to an awake/alert state, and then quickly back into a sleeping state is what made me realize that I was dreaming. It was as if the alarm clock reminded me I was dreaming.

I had a lucid dream recently, but the colours were quite dark. Did your dream seem bright and life-like?

I had a lucid dream recently, but the colours were quite dark. Did your dream seem bright and life-like?

My dreams are always dark (Like Tim Burton films dark). But the colors are normal and everything seems clear and crisp.

Say to yourself (or think it) in the dream: "Increase vividness now!"
If you say that when you become lucid it sometimes works 👍

My dreams are always dark (Like Tim Burton films dark). But the colors are normal and everything seems clear and crisp.

Well last night all I saw was black with tiny green/red/blue dots everywhere... :crazy:

Say to yourself (or think it) in the dream: "Increase vividness now!"
If you say that when you become lucid it sometimes works 👍

Another way is to shout "clarify!" and rub your hands together.

Does this make the colours brighter and easier to see? I will have to try this out the next time I go to sleep, which will be in about 30 minute's time :dunce: . Good luck to anyone here trying to have a lucid dream too.

Some people say that if you're falling in your sleep and you don't wake up when you've landed, you die. I don't think this is true, but what do you guys think?

Quite a frightening way to wake up, falling and landing. :lol: Had that happen a few times...

Lucid dreaming, almost every night, for years. Simply like day dreaming really. At least for me it is.

Is there any link between this and night terrors? Its a problem I had when I young, I have blocked them from memory but am told I had them until I was 10ish. I would really like to try lucid dreaming but I fear I may cause me to have night terrors again. Any thoughts?

ParkourVeyron
What's a sleep terror?

I'd like to try lucid dreaming too but I'm scared that I might experience sleep paralysis...

From what I understand its a condition that only happens to males. Its like a nightmare but more powerful. Like I said I have blocked much of it from memory. From what I understand you can wake someone from a night terror. I was told I would be screaming while I slept, for hours. Since I stoped havong them I haven't rembered a dream. Makes me sad because its been more than 10 years.

Is there any link between this and night terrors? Its a problem I had when I young, I have blocked them from memory but am told I had them until I was 10ish. I would really like to try lucid dreaming but I fear I may cause me to have night terrors again. Any thoughts?

Lucid dreaming is often used to confront your fears and nightmares in the dream and overcome them, you know you are dreaming so you can simply make them go away in the dream without feeling scared. I say go for it.

A wierd experience I had last night though...I thought I'd give brainwave sounds a go as I got to sleep, but for some reason, when I'm listening to them I begin to get really scared, like every little noise I hear really scares me and the sound itself creeps me out for some reason...anyone else feel this? I had to stop listening to it because it creeped me out so much, I'm not scared of the dark or anything, the sound just really scares me lol. Bit wierd I know.

I'd like to try lucid dreaming too but I'm scared that I might experience sleep paralysis...

I had that happen once. It was probably the single most terrifying thing that ever happened to me. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't move. When I tried to move, my entire body began shaking violently for about five minutes straight. At the time, I thought it was a massive earthquake as I didn't realize it was me who was shaking.

This happens to me too when I'm falling asleep. Sometimes I fall off a bike instead, but either way I get that horrible falling feeling in my stomach.

This sort of happens to me everyone once in a while. Just start to doze off then for some reason I get that feeling for a split second and it wakes me back up. :grumpy:

Back