The Manor-Marussia Saga

Except nobody called it "BMW Sauber Ferrari" in 2010 unless they had some extreme form of pedantic behavior which disallowed bathroom use for at least a decade.
No one called it that, but SPEED talked about it pre-season and in the official articles like the constructors table used the full title.

View attachment 314534 Edit: this was funny to me

Funny comment appeared on Autosport Live when Hulkenberg stopped on track, stopping the session for everyone:

Smoke is definitely still emanating from the Force India. Would it be harsh to suggest this doesn't really matter given it's the old car, and really the frustrated people here will be the other teams who have brought a relevant chassis and engine with them?

Not that I'm still butthurt over the strategy group decision or anything....... :)

I'm now curious to see...many things actually. The car, their performance, how long they last.

Amazing. Manor has managed to give me a good reason to follow F1 actively.

Good to hear indeed! That said, my understanding is that they will have to line up a fully compliant 2015 car (chassis). Hope they make it.

I can't see it being King. His father might be on the board, but the investors seem both serious and intent on doing this properly. I can't help but feel that putting King in the seat would undermine that, especially given the way Max Chilton got a drive.

I can't see it being King. His father might be on the board, but the investors seem both serious and intent on doing this properly. I can't help but feel that putting King in the seat would undermine that, especially given the way Max Chilton got a drive.
I think King would be the choice if they had no other drivers lined up.

They have 2 options, pay drivers (eg Cecotto) or academy drivers (eg Marciello or Vandoorne) from other teams. If during the week before there is no other option, Jordan King will probably get the seat.

Probably been answered but can they keep the championship point and the associated cash with it?

Joe Saward speculates that they are holding out for Giedo van der Garde, as he will be free (and bringing cash) if his legal action with Sauber falls through. https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/a-curious-legal-action/

Probably been answered but can they keep the championship point and the associated cash with it?

Yup - although they have to run under the Marussia name for this season to do so as it was too late to change it.

Surely they'll be trying to prep Jordan King? Not much point having a dad who's board chief of an F1 team otherwise, right? :)

King doesn't have a super license, does he?

They've passed the crash tests, so it's happening guys 👍

Now, the question is: What will they do in Melbourne?

1) Pass Scrutineering and don't drive at all
2) Get a little practice to get to know the car
3) Go for it

I think the problem with 3) would be to pass the qualifying within the 107%. Last year's fastet laptime in Q1 was 1:30,7 (Ric), without the rain there would have been 1:29,5 possible. Cars are now about 3 seconds faster (depending on the track) so 107% would be around 1:32,7. Last year, fastest Marussia set a time of 1:34,2. Would be very close call with the 2014 engine...

Yea I tend to think the same @psychoazubi Looks like they will make it to Melbourne, but with the competition appearing to be even faster this year that 107% is going to be a massive challenge for them, I would like to be positive for them but honestly don't think they'll be fast enough.

Yup, me neither. They didn't drive at all, whereas the Mercedes which will set the pole time (unless something unsual happening) has proven to be ****ing fast already

www.twitter.com/manorf1team posted a few hours ago. Cars and freight are on their way to Aus
B_XbkeGWIAICSBh.jpg

Yea I tend to think the same @psychoazubi Looks like they will make it to Melbourne, but with the competition appearing to be even faster this year that 107% is going to be a massive challenge for them, I would like to be positive for them but honestly don't think they'll be fast enough.

I'm not sure... I expect Q1's fastest to be about 90s, that would give a target of 96.3s, last year the dog-awful Caterham managed 94s (Marussia didn't compete).

Given that the chassis has a year's development and a new Ferrari engine I think Manorussia will qualify. Even if they don't I imagine they'll receive a 'let' unless their performance is way outside 107%. Only 4 of 14 107% failures have been barred from racing since the rule was reintroduced... although they were all at Melbourne.

Only 4 of 14 107% failures have been barred from racing since the rule was reintroduced... although they were all at Melbourne.

Probably because it's the first race of the season and the teams haven't yet established that they're actually able to keep up in a race setting. It's one thing to give them a pass ten races into a season where there have been extenuating circumstances (weather, damage, whatever). It's another when it's the first race and the only demonstrated track times are outside the rule.

Unless they prove themselves to be fast enough in practise sessions, I don't expect them to be allowed to race if they miss the 107%. It may be the same chassis and a new engine, but the team has gone through a lot of turmoil. It's one thing to have a car that's theoretically capable of setting a lap time, it's another to actually do it.

Unless they prove themselves to be fast enough in practise sessions, I don't expect them to be allowed to race if they miss the 107%. It may be the same chassis and a new engine, but the team has gone through a lot of turmoil. It's one thing to have a car that's theoretically capable of setting a lap time, it's another to actually do it.

That's a good point... practice times are taken into account when the inevitable appeal is heard. That said, HRT's failures-to-qualify were due to the low number of laps they ran (arguably never setting a "fast" lap) and occurred in the faster "last-gen" era when the differential between fast/slow teams was of a much greater order, I think that Manor actually have a good chance of qualifying on speed alone.

We may have to disagree on the likely outcome of an appeal if that's not the case :D

That's a good point... practice times are taken into account when the inevitable appeal is heard. That said, HRT's failures-to-qualify were due to the low number of laps they ran (arguably never setting a "fast" lap) and occurred in the faster "last-gen" era when the differential between fast/slow teams was of a much greater order, I think that Manor actually have a good chance of qualifying on speed alone.

We may have to disagree on the likely outcome of an appeal if that's not the case :D

You're right, they'll probably be fine.

Tell you what, if they start looking slow when they're going past me in P3 then I'll yell at them to hurry up. :P

I still believe they will struggle to get on the grid based on pace, sure the Ferrari engine looks alot stronger, but (without checking) they have two rookie drivers and zero test miles this year. I do actually think they will be on the grid wether they hit the 107% or not, basing that on the fact I think they would get a sympathy vote from the FIA.

I still believe they will struggle to get on the grid based on pace, sure the Ferrari engine looks alot stronger,
That doesn't affect Manor until they introduce their new car, they're starting the season with Ferrari's 2014 engine. 107% will be a tough challenge for them.

Back