The Most Overrated Car(s) in GT4

• Thread starter samj_13
  • 202 comments
VIPERGTSR01
Any? Average performace?

Have you tried the Mines Skyline GTR?

Or the Nismo 400r

FastEddie12
Of course its never going to match a Skyline or whatever, and the Initial D crap is a pain, but credit where credit's due, it's a great LITTLE car.
Quite agree, the Corolla Twin-cam (as it was known in the UK) is still highly prized as a rally car.

Its a great little car that, in my opinion, is only overratted if you only look at it comparison to Initial D, however the AE86 had a huge and loyal following in Japan, the UK and Ireland (where they love them as tarmac rally cars) long before Initial D.

Regards

Scaff

Syntax error
The Trueno is by far the most overrated.

Far be it for me to understand the craze of delivering tofu sideways, but the lack of real go in this car leaves one desiring something with just a tad bit more umph… .

Yeah I felt the same way. But I picked up the one version that I can't remember the name of, and then fully modified everything and it has to be one of my favorite cars to do really tight, windy courses.

This was before my little brother deleted my 50%+ game

George Morley

LOL - Don't worry about it, I just have a soft spot for the 500, around a tight track you can get the back end to step right out. Its great fun.

Scaff

almost any musclecar. yes, they have "POWEEEERRR!" and "TORRRQ" but it's no use when the car weights much and is unwilling to turn. And RUF's.. :ouch:

Leonidae
almost any musclecar. yes, they have "POWEEEERRR!" and "TORRRQ" but it's no use when the car weights much and is unwilling to turn. And RUF's.. :ouch:

The RGT you can steer with your feet it's so good and the BTR and Yellowbird require skill (and a big pair of brass ones)to drive fast. But the CTR2 is just.... :ouch:

Leonidae

my muscle cars turn fine,
infact they turn a hell of alot better than ff cars or 4wds :)

the older ones maybe, they can break the rear traction, but try to do that with S2's in Mustang GT'05 or C4 'vette without modding them at all.. hopeless.

Scaff
LOL - Don't worry about it, I just have a soft spot for the 500, around a tight track you can get the back end to step right out. Its great fun.

Scaff

Oh yeah, the 500. On a trip to Italy, a couple of years ago, the streets were filled with those little funny things. Plus, it really is fun to drive in GT4, and it's also a challenge to find one, since they're like the black cars - only appear 6 times more. I don't think you can win one, but I look every week in the lots to find another one.
By the way, you can't really over-rate it because it has a low rating - nobody says "a 500 will beat every one of your cars!!1!" (A la the Skyline and Trueno cults). It's simply a fun car.

And on the subject of over-rating: That Dodge Ram might not be the most over-rated car, but it certainly is over-rated. I mean, people actually say (at least in some FAQs) that it is recommended for rally races. I was glad to finish the truck race and dump this car into my garage. It can't turn at all (well, first gear at 20-30 km/h doesn't count as fast turning for those rather fast corners on Laguna Seca), and is only good in ramming others off the course.

Actually, it's rated well because when fully modified, it still rates as a 200 A-Spec challenge in most rally races. Yes, it turns horribly, accelerates slowly, and is very very heavy, but for A-Spec perfectionists looking for bragging rights, it's a trip! :lol:

RE: Skylines. Just did a few comparisons on a lark, between the R34 Skyline and other 98-02 mid-sized to full-sized (1500+ kilogram) cars on N3s at Infineon Sports. While some cars with near 400hp (like the SVT Cobra) can whip it around Infineon, it creams most mid-300hp mid-sized conventional cars from the same era. I'm willing to bet a Lotus or a Porsche can beat it, but I've still to buy a new set of un-oil changed samples (I need to do this to balance it out for secondhand cars).

It understeers, yes, but that's a given for a large car like the Skyline, and not any worse than most big FRs. But it has that awfully neat trick of AWD oversteer that you can't get in the likes of the EVO or WRX. In fact, so far, the one EVO I've gotten close to the Skyline's times is the EVO VII RS, which is 1320 kgs... and then, only after an oil change to bring its horsepower up to 336 hp (vs 340 hp on the Skyline). The RS version catches up because you can kick the tail end around much more easily than with the GSR and GSR MR versions, which are a bit too grippy on tight corners.

Sure, the Skyline is overpriced, but if you consider its size and its drivetrain, its agility is quite an accomplishment. And remember, AWD cars are comparative slugs in GT4's physics engine, so matching laptimes with an RWD car in any AWD is an accomplishment.

Over-rated? Maybe, maybe not. Over-represented (how many? 50?)? Definitely. :lol:

ÄŁPĨЙΣ
gotta be the skylines, way to many of almost same version, I love some of them tho ;)

I particularly like the pre 90's versions, especially my black 89 skyline that I got tuned so that it's front end points way up high in the sky whenever I get any air. *grins*

But to me, I think that high-end racing cars are overrated... Personally, I enjoy racing lower horsepower cars (100 to 450 Horsepower) a lot more than high horsepower ones

iLex
Don't worry, they're great. I Only had the money for 2 of them (R92CP and 787B) And I love them both. The fact that they're not as good as their colored counterparts is no reason not to buy them. And they're still 'race versions', but black.
It would be a pity if the cars were exactly as good as their couterparts. We are talking about used cars here with quite a few miles behind them... They're cheaper and still very very good! With a chassis refresh I didn't have any problems with the looseness either.
did you change the oil in them? you realize that only the cars from the used list that dont need changed oil are the ones that only have 20 or so miles on them[ as indicated by the orange milage meter instead of the black one.]
this is a simulation game, and in real life if yuo dont change your oil you will loose power. that might be the problem with the black cars. i personally change the oil in all my cars when i first get them because it gives you a little to a lot of extra horsepower without putting preformance parts on it.

as for the most overated, i have to say the skylines because i have so many cars that can smoke those things[ my brother has a facination with them] without even needing nitrous, when my brother is spraying the whole race.

Leonidae
thats becaus eyou have no skill with them. i can controll a muscle car better than any car on the game, and im 82% into it to!

ÄŁPĨЙΣ
gotta be the skylines, way to many of almost same version, I love some of them tho ;)

You got to love the KPGC10 for dominating the Japanese racing circuit for half a decade.

And the R32 for making the image of the "unbeatable GT-R" ever more prominent.

And the R33 for holding the the fastest time for a road car around the Nordschlefe.

And the R34 for making the Skyline name a household name.

Just about every Skyline in the game has a meaningful history to it.:)

Greycap
Lamborghini Diablo is a supercar, I think we all agree on that. But, it can be beaten in acceleration even by a stock GT-R as the Skyline is pulling away while the Diablo struggles for grip. And the stock model only has around 300 bhp, whereas the tuned versions boast power figures from 400 to almost 500 bhp.

here's a real-life fact: Some Diablo's are AWD. how exactly does this stock GT-R out-accelerate it? and since when is "out-accelerating" completed before 50mph is reached?
and tuned Skylines easily exceed 500hp, you should know this, many have over 1000hp, BUT, I've seen 1000HP Diablo's too.

YAY! the fanboys showed up! not just this one, but many others!

for every Skyline, is an RX-7, holy crap, there's 3 models for every year from 91-98....wtf for?

Leonidae
almost any musclecar. yes, they have "POWEEEERRR!" and "TORRRQ" but it's no use when the car weights much and is unwilling to turn.
Well, they are 26+ year old cars, back then they were built solid and heavy (as the mentality was that cars that didn't crunch up in wreck were safe), so they do weigh quite a bit. They also didn't have the technology for anything but solid-axle rear suspension, which dampens handling. Tires back then were pretty crappy too, so, yes, most muscle cars handle and steer like battleships, but they weren't designed for cornering supremecy. They were built for one purpose: to go in a straight line as fast as possible, and they did that in spades. And with a little tuning, that can be fixed. My Blue '69 Camaro SS can handle bumpy, curvy tracks like El Capitan quite well for a 37 year old car.

Master_Yoda
You sir, don't know ****

Tureno= Sexyesty drifter next to the S14 Silvia :) and even sexier in deepdish rims!

It's nothing near a Eco-car..

Sexy? Not hardly. Its ugly. While it may be fun to drive, its not an attractive car. They asked for the most overrated, and this is why. Its over-hyped. Its still a Corolla. Cheap, and low powered. Like I said, not a bad car, but very overrated.

RICHARDO
You got to love the KPGC10 for dominating the Japanese racing circuit for half a decade.

And the R32 for making the image of the "unbeatable GT-R" ever more prominent.

And the R33 for holding the the fastest time for a road car around the Nordschlefe.

And the R34 for making the Skyline name a household name.

Just about every Skyline in the game has a meaningful history to it.:)
Yeah.. Thats why there sooo fun, to run around and owning up Zondas, and FGT's, and LMP's... My Skyline will own ANYTHING!

a6m5
I'm getting close to finally reaching the "black" race cars(I'm at 610 days or something), so I'm bit dissapointed to hear that it doesn't compare to the actual race version of the cars. :indiff:

Yes I agree. I was very much looking forward to achieving the black cars, and once I did, well, it was a disappointment. Not to worry though!! :sly:

On the subject of overrated cars, I also think that the Jay Leno Tank Car is, plainly because you just can use it in a race. I think it would be rather amusing (and slow), lol.

S30T
Sexy? Not hardly. Its ugly. While it may be fun to drive, its not an attractive car. They asked for the most overrated, and this is why. Its over-hyped. Its still a Corolla. Cheap, and low powered. Like I said, not a bad car, but very overrated.

This is the truth. +rep 👍

Is Yoda serious?:lol:

I bought a treuno just because of this thread, to see what they're like... and there are many better drift cars, in the 80's section alone, let alone all the cars.
try the Silvia's, or '83 300ZX... much better, and most RX-7's shy of '98, you almost have to drift these cars, even if you don't want to.
Unless you're talking modifying, but, what's the point in that? you can make any car perform great with lots of money dumped in, and that's what makes the "with mods those cars rock!" discussion pointless, and stupid.
I think the 88 silvia K or the '93 RX-7 would be where the best drift car lies. but drifting, is like posing, "look, I'm going fast!", nah, not really, just looks like it.:sly:

LeadSlead#2
here's a real-life fact: Some Diablo's are AWD. how exactly does this stock GT-R out-accelerate it? and since when is "out-accelerating" completed before 50mph is reached?
and tuned Skylines easily exceed 500hp, you should know this, many have over 1000hp, BUT, I've seen 1000HP Diablo's too.

YAY! the fanboys showed up! not just this one, but many others!
Let me correct one thing at least, I'm not a fanboy, I admit that there are downsides in Skylines too, something that a fanboy would never do.

If you take the out-accelerating that way, then a car that reaches 400 mph but takes five minutes to do it out-accelerates everything, right? Sure the Diablo is better at high speeds, it was built to be a sleek sports car and not derived from a family car, but the Skyline has an edge at the very beginning thanks to the superior grip, especially when the road is slippery. AWD Diablos can undoubtedly match it, but they are very rare when compared to the "normal" models.

And I know about the 1000+ bhp ones, but I meant the Nismo tuned complete models when I mentioned the "tuned" GT-R's as they're more like production cars than the one-of-a-kind monsters.

The main point of my post was this, but you may have taken it a bit wrong:

GT4 facts
...weighs 1500+ kg as stock, can seat four people and has a decent trunk but can exceed 300 mph and lap the Nürburgring Nordschleife in well under six minutes in the hands of a skilled driver when tuned. Don't call Skylines overrated mediocre cars without knowing what they are capable of.

I'm not trying to say that it's the best car out there, no way that it could beat purposefully built and tuned supercars, but the performance is pretty impressive for a car that is as big as a VW Passat.

*flameproof suit on, it'll be needed*

- R -

MdnIte
This is the truth. +rep 👍
Uh no, its someones opinion designed to promote discussion and debate.

As the entire concept of the most 'overrated' anything is one of personal preference and opinion, it can hardly be taken as fact. :)

9D8TSIAWD
The 400r is slow! Why is the hp output so low?
The bhp output for the 400r is exactly what is should be, for a 400r. Damn fine car, you just need to accept that you may need to shift early on certain tracks.

Scaff

Greycap
AWD Diablos can undoubtedly match it, but they are very rare when compared to the "normal" models.

Actually, after the launch of the the vicous traction system, its VERY hard to find a RWD Diablo that isn't an SV, SE, or GT. It was quite a common option which is why the Gallardo and Murci are both AWD no doubt.

If it were me, I'll take a wingless RWD Diablo. Preferably the pre '93 with no power steering or ABS. :) I'll bet those suckers are monsters.

Talon Lardner
I particularly like the pre 90's versions, especially my black 89 skyline that I got tuned so that it's front end points way up high in the sky whenever I get any air. *grins*

But to me, I think that high-end racing cars are overrated... Personally, I enjoy racing lower horsepower cars (100 to 450 Horsepower) a lot more than high horsepower ones
there nice but the 2000GT-R '73 gotta be the best skyline ever made!!!!
I've got 1 fully tuned, they handle like nothing you've ever driven, they only apear twice in the 100 week cycle & you can't win them:(

same amount of times as the peugeot 205 turbo 16 that I just got,(about time!) I got it on day 3368 (pal version & US version)

Can't say I've come across an over-rated car in GT4 yet, as I see no Ferrari's, lol. Loads of underrated cars though, hey stop talking bad about the SS Trueno, awesome lil car. I've never seen nor heard of an AWD Diablo, please direct me to a link. As I am certain that the Murcielago was the first AWD Lamborghini.

Latest Posts

Back