The New Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is the World's Fastest Muscle Car

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 278 comments
I know it supposed to a single seater drag racer street legal car.
I never heard a law where there was a min. or max. a car company had to charged for options on a car. Floor mats on a 911 Turbo are optional and they cost $0.
Having the seats and Demon crate cost $1 each makes seem like those CD/DVD club scam thing, where you pay $1 for 5 CDs/DVDs now then every month for the next 2 years you had buy more Cds/DVDs at full retail prices.

The seats were said to cost $1 but the Demon crate was said to cost about $5K. And the part that makes it 840hp and the parts to make it a drag racer are in the crate. So they are not really giving it away.

From the news press that was just seen on this very page and even when the release hit, claims it is a dollar option. Yes most of here who have followed the car know that you need the crate to get the 840 because of things like additional hvac and guide that allows for more aggressive chip tune, as well as the skinny front radials. Another factor to get the 840 is running race fuel.

So yeah they are giving it away unless the press release above is wrong and you have info somewhere else that I haven't seen. I've already said if you read my post as you seem to (since you're responding to it) that there is a potential that the MSRP is where they're most likely charging people for the crate without saying it, and just making it a nice ploy with the whole "but if you want it, just add an extra dollar!"

a Dollar option that is worth $6-7,000 is giving away.

My guess is that the $1 fee is a legal requirement to enact separate consideration for that specific package.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consideration
For instance, if A offers B $200 to buy B's mansion, luxury sports car, and private jet, there is still consideration on both sides. A's consideration is $200, and B's consideration is the mansion, car, and jet. Courts in the United States generally leave parties to their own contracts, and do not intervene. The old English rule of consideration questioned whether a party gave the value of a peppercorn to the other party. As a result, contracts in the United States have sometimes have had one party pass nominal amounts of consideration, typically citing $1. Thus, licensing contracts that do not involve any money at all often cite as consideration, "for the sum of $1 and other good and valuable consideration."

$1 is the usual "token fee" to satisfy contract consideration. Without consideration, a contract is unenforceable. For some reason (I'm guessing the Dodge legal department), they seem to want a separate contract with its own consideration for this particular package, most likely some sort of liability concern.

From the news press that was just seen on this very page and even when the release hit, claims it is a dollar option. Yes most of here who have followed the car know that you need the crate to get the 840 because of things like additional hvac and guide that allows for more aggressive chip tune, as well as the skinny front radials. Another factor to get the 840 is running race fuel.

So yeah they are giving it away unless the press release above is wrong and you have info somewhere else that I haven't seen. I've already said if you read my post as you seem to (since you're responding to it) that there is a potential that the MSRP is where they're most likely charging people for the crate without saying it, and just making it a nice ploy with the whole "but if you want it, just add an extra dollar!"
My problem is I have the thought in my head but when I go to write it down I comes out wrong :banghead:

LMSCorvetteGT2
Which tells me that fender flares, revised hood were minimal cost of developing compared to the engine and suspension which is what probably makes up the 20k+ extra between it an the Hellcat.
What I was trying to say was for $20k over the Hellcat (without the Demon crate) you are not getting 840hp, 0-60 in 2.3 and quarter-mile in 9.65. But only getting 808hp, 0-60 in ?.?? and quarter-mile in ?.??. Dodge never talked about the car without the extra bits from the crate.
And I was saying that Dodge is not just giving the crate away for a $1 to be nice. I was a a agreeing with you taht the cost of the crate was already add to the price of the car. Just because a company says the MSRP is $6K doesn't mean that is what it cost them.
Going back to this....
It seems stupid. Are they trying to add more titles to the car, " the car with the world's cheapest optional equipment"?
As Dodge did when it was first released and all car news articles were saying Demon fastest, first this and that, ban from that drag stripe. All those news articles top stories. Dodge just to extra excitement from news about price
Like this ...

It'd a fair price for the car with or without the Denom crate.

My problem is I have the thought in my head but when I go to write it down I comes out wrong :banghead:

Happens, I'm not faulting you on anything so don't worry.

What I was trying to say was for $20k over the Hellcat (without the Demon crate) you are not getting 840hp, 0-60 in 2.3 and quarter-mile in 9.65. But only getting 808hp, 0-60 in ?.?? and quarter-mile in ?.??. Dodge never talked about the car without the extra bits from the crate.
And I was saying that Dodge is not just giving the crate away for a $1 to be nice. I was a a agreeing with you taht the cost of the crate was already add to the price of the car. Just because a company says the MSRP is $6K doesn't mean that is what it cost them.
Going back to this....

I know you're not getting 840 you're getting 808 on pump gas, and maybe 820 or close to it on race gas.

I think Dodge intended the car to be 840 all along but it can only be that way at a certain level shown, which is clearly with all the things people would want, gone. So no extra seats, sound proofing carpets and so on, and the crate parts/setup. However, people aren't going to necessarily want that, so to make sure customers feel they're getting what it claimed (and more as @Danoff suggested) they made it a $1 for the crate and creature comforts

As for where the cost is actually being absorbed, then yes we agree, I didn't get that at first. See in this day and age people like to just do drive-by spews of hate on something with out actually adequately explaining themselves and thus it gets perpetuated for however long. Now I hate this car and I've given various long winded reasons to justify that hate I feel. So when I saw the joke you made I wasn't sure if you were doing it to just bash the car needlessly or legitimately.

I apologize for not being clear on that and just thinking the prior about you. Thanks for making it clear.

Last edited:
Demon widebody now available for Hellcat model.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/06/dodge-launches-widebody-option-for-2018.html

open.jpg

Oh god, I can install the Demon widebody on my Hellcat so people will think it is at first glance, and I won't die.

Not all of the power train. its planned that the Hellcat models will have Demon Characteristics (lol) for the Hellcat trim update. Line Lock (already available on all SRT's), Transbrake and The Chiller, Rear end. with a power boost (not 808 like the screen says)

giphy.gif

I've driven my Uncle's Hellcat Challenger and that thing is a monster, incredibly fun. He daily drives it too and says it has been extremely reliable.
@xXPeacockXx's dad's hellcat is a different story. That one spent most of its life as a guest at their local dealer's service lot. He traded for a Corvette Z06, ZR1? Don't remember. Peacock can confirm for me if he sees this.

@Obelisk what a shame. Last I checked he had well over 20K trouble free miles from his Challenger, he liked it so much he bought a Hellcat Charger for his wife to drive and as far as I know that one has been just about perfect as well. Sometimes people just get lemons, it happens, unfortunately.

I understand that car usage in the US plays by slightly different priorities than here in the UK but I was wondering how many of these hellcats and demons (especially now it's been banned from its only real use) are actually used on a daily basis ?

Don't you dare....

Don't worry. Finances dictate that it won't happen. :lol:
giphy.gif

I've driven my Uncle's Hellcat Challenger and that thing is a monster, incredibly fun. He daily drives it too and says it has been extremely reliable.

Yeah my dad has one as well. I've driven it once but was babying it. I had a Z/28 trying to provoke me as well but my dad has just got it. I haven't felt the power myself from the driver's seat but I've been in the passenger seat at full tilt. It just keeps pulling.

My only gripe with any Challenger is they are boats!

Good point tornado. I hadn't even thought about the practicalities of decent luggage and passenger space.
I was thinking more of what has to be a fairly savage power delivery and I'm guessing the mpg is mid teens ?
Just realised I've turned into an old fart .

I understand that car usage in the US plays by slightly different priorities than here in the UK but I was wondering how many of these hellcats and demons (especially now it's been banned from its only real use) are actually used on a daily basis ?
Why does this statement keep getting shared around the web? There's nothing stopping you from taking a Demon to your local strip and running it; you just can't exceed a certain speed/time on the strip it's capable of.

Happens to plenty of modified guys who usually shoot for the best launch and then lay off after a 1/8th mile to keep racing.

Why does this statement keep getting shared around the web?

Wasn't that part of the marketing strategy from Dodge? I can recall reading it on Jalopnik but I can't remember if that was their spin on it or actual marketing from Dodge.

Wasn't that part of the marketing strategy from Dodge? I can recall reading it on Jalopnik but I can't remember if that was their spin on it or actual marketing from Dodge.

It's capable of a time that will get you in trouble (i.e you can't race anymore at the track you ran 9.99 or faster) until you get a cage and whatever else required for running 9s. Doesn't mean just because it's a Demon you're automatically disallowed. Just don't run a 9.99 or faster and you'll be fine.

It's a full size car with a humongous trunk. Demon may be different, but I've seen Hellcats being putted around town doing errands even on somewhat crappy days.

Fun Fact (IMO)... The Challenger is the only 5 Passenger Coupe in existence today.

Why does this statement keep getting shared around the web? There's nothing stopping you from taking a Demon to your local strip and running it; you just can't exceed a certain speed/time on the strip it's capable of.

Happens to plenty of modified guys who usually shoot for the best launch and then lay off after a 1/8th mile to keep racing.

Great . So I'm just off down the strip with my shiny new muscle car car , to find out what it's almost capable of . Sounds like loads of fun !

What I was trying to ask is how many of these cars will actually be used as cars ?
Road surfaces tend to be in pretty poor condition these days , throw in a bit of rain or frost and i imagine all that torque could land you in trouble fairly quickly .
Plus I don't think it would take long for the local police to notice your new ride , and would be waiting behind every bush on your way to work .

Great . So I'm just off down the strip with my shiny new muscle car car , to find out what it's almost capable of . Sounds like loads of fun !
Blame Dodge or the NHRA; the Demon is far from the first car to run into this grey area.
What I was trying to ask is how many of these cars will actually be used as cars ?
Road surfaces tend to be in pretty poor condition these days , throw in a bit of rain or frost and i imagine all that torque could land you in trouble fairly quickly .
Plus I don't think it would take long for the local police to notice your new ride , and would be waiting behind every bush on your way to work .
This would apply to any new sports car in theory. I imagine the Demon will be used just fine; that's part of its "schtick". It's an everyday car that happens to have gobs and gobs and gobs of power on hand.

Five years ago you couldn't take your shiny new Z06 or GT-R or GT500 to an NHRA drag strip and go full hog either.

Five years ago you couldn't take your shiny new Z06 or GT-R or GT500 to an NHRA drag strip and go full hog either.

Kinda defeats the object doesn't it ?
Wouldn't you much rather see what's the absolute maximum you could get out of 350 hp than be given 700 and told you could only use half of it ?

Back