The New Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is the World's Fastest Muscle Car

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 278 comments
Hey, look at that: now all the posts about the Demon are in the thread about the Demon.

Now hopefully people can stop complaining that all posts remotely Challenger-related be shoved into a giant thread started over three years ago. đź‘Ť

Hey, look at that: now all the posts about the Demon are in the thread about the Demon.

Now hopefully people can stop complaining that all posts remotely Challenger-related be shoved into a giant thread started over three years ago. đź‘Ť

It wasn't a complaint about it being all in one thread, it was strange to see something you guys had been doing for some time all of a sudden change. And two it was asked if it could be moved even before @EDK came along so people can read through it all and understand the subject rather than just the article.

I agree with you I'm all for many threads with precise topics. But posting in threads with the same topic is obviously confusing. Didn't think you guys would be annoyed when asked if it could happen (or seemingly).

Just saw a comment on the reveal video that gave me a good laugh.

"Can't wait for the Dodge Challenger SRT Satan with 1666 horsepower that will be made in probably two years."

EDIT: Saw another comment that would actually be a good name for a future Charger/Challenger IMO.

"Now we need the Dodge Charger SRT Hades"

It wasn't a complaint about it being all in one thread, it was strange to see something you guys had been doing for some time all of a sudden change. And two it was asked if it could be moved even before @EDK came along so people can read through it all and understand the subject rather than just the article.

I agree with you I'm all for many threads with precise topics. But posting in threads with the same topic is obviously confusing. Didn't think you guys would be annoyed when asked if it could happen (or seemingly).

The intent was to have the Demon talk spun-off prior to the posting of the article. I got pulled away from work for something unavoidable, and only now got to do it. I didn't see your original question post until just now, but yeah, there's your answer. đź‘Ť

This thread discussion feature with the blog is still relatively new, and one of the biggest changes to the front page format we've ever had. Once in a while, mix-ups happen. We can only hope that people are understanding with that.

On the actual subject, it seems completely silly to me, in the sense that it's almost more of a collector's museum piece than the 911 R. I don't know if that's really Dodge's fault, since the whole industry seems to be doing it, but I feel like it'll be even less likely that I spot a Demon out on the street. It's built for a very specific set of records, and that's cool and all, but it just doesn't appeal to me (fully recognizing I'm not the target audience).

I'm wondering which — if any — racing game devs will be including it in their games. If they do, will we get the different wheel options? It seems like a prime candidate to test the limits of the physics engine: if it doesn't lift its nose on launch, it isn't accurate!

That'd be mocking how slow of a news day it is for the videogame site to report on automotive news that broke last weekend and had already been being talked about on the videogame site since that weekend. It happens to all online news places, hence things like "Slowtaku" and "IGNorant" and etc.

So, again, complain about what?

That'd be mocking how slow of a news day it is for the videogame site to report on automotive news that broke last weekend and had already been being talked about on the videogame site since that weekend. It happens to all online news places, hence things like "Slowtaku" and "IGNorant" and etc.

As a former CW, let me interject. The Writing Staff works their butts off to keep up with everything. They have to get the important news (GT:S having Porsche) out first and then they can cover stuff like this.

Dodge.jpg Angry beast.

As a former CW, let me interject. The Writing Staff works their butts off to keep up with everything. They have to get the important news (GT:S having Porsche) out first and then they can cover stuff like this.
I'm not saying they don't work hard or that that doesn't happen when things get pushed on the backburner, hence (again) things like "Slowtaku" or "IGNorant" and what have you. I'm responding to someone who strangely seems to have far more skin in the game than I did when I made the comment in the first place.

I'm not saying they don't work hard or that that doesn't happen when things get pushed on the backburner, hence (again) things like "Slowtaku" or "IGNorant" and what have you. I'm responding to someone who strangely seems to have far more skin in the game than I did when I made the comment in the first place.
Fair enough.

I am understanding of that. Slow news day, site needs to keep hits up to justify its expansion, people want to write about things, whatever the reason may be. None of that is particularly hard to grasp.

And yet, I'm still going to comment on the disconnect between the main site and the forum when I find it notable. And I'm certainly going to defend myself when someone comes in and claims that the standards that apply when a bunch of people spam every single car announcement at every single autoshow in a new thread about cars they want in Gran Turismo games should also apply to people who have actually been having long-term discussions about the automobiles in question; particularly when they are obviously related like the 2018 Demon is to the 2015 Hellcat that the Challenger thread had mostly been about to that point.

Last edited:
It was said in the video that it was 2.3, supposedly you need more than just different fuel to get the 840, and the car is banned from drag strips.

Though all of this information and discussion can further be found on the actual thread it's been in for some time!!!

I read it from here :

"Dodge unveiled what it claims is the fastest muscle car ever: the 2018 Challenger SRT Demon with a devil of a kick—808 horsepower and 717 lb-ft of torque on 91 octane gas for the street and a ridiculous 840 hp and 770 lb-ft of torque on 100-plus high-octane race fuel for the track.

Dodge is touting the Demon, a street-legal factory track car that goes on sale this fall, as the world’s quickest quarter-mile production car certified by the National Hot Rod Association. Dodge execs also say the Demon is quicker than the Tesla Model S that Motor Trend crowned acceleration champ when we clocked the electric car reaching 60 mph in 2.28 seconds. The Demon recorded a time of 2.1 seconds, but that comes with a huge asterisk: The Tesla was tested on regular dry asphalt, but the Demon was on a regulation drag strip. Drag strips are coated in sticky resin, and the extra traction can shave a couple tenths of a second. So we will hold out on any pronouncements until we get a Demon for testing ourselves on our usual surface.

Some Dodge-generated stats to chew on:

• Zero to 60 mph in 2.1 seconds, which beats the Tesla Model S—again, on a stickier surface, which improves launch grip. Zero to 100 mph in 5.1 seconds.
  • Quarter mile in 9.65 seconds and 140 mph, which means it is legally banned from racing on a track without a rollcage.
  • It leaves the start line accelerating at 1.8 g, hitting 30 mph in 1.0 second.
  • Horsepower peaks at 6,300 rpm, torque at 4,500 rpm.
  • Brakes from 60 to 0 mph in 97 feet.
  • Eco mode limits it to 500 horsepower, starts in second gear, and short-shifts subsequent gears."

Source :
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodg...dodge-challenger-srt-demon-first-look-review/

Just saw a comment on the reveal video that gave me a good laugh.

"Can't wait for the Dodge Challenger SRT Satan with 1666 horsepower that will be made in probably two years."

EDIT: Saw another comment that would actually be a good name for a future Charger/Challenger IMO.

"Now we need the Dodge Charger SRT Hades"
Add it to the complete SRT Hell range and call it "Legion".

I read it from here :

"Dodge unveiled what it claims is the fastest muscle car ever: the 2018 Challenger SRT Demon with a devil of a kick—808 horsepower and 717 lb-ft of torque on 91 octane gas for the street and a ridiculous 840 hp and 770 lb-ft of torque on 100-plus high-octane race fuel for the track.

Dodge is touting the Demon, a street-legal factory track car that goes on sale this fall, as the world’s quickest quarter-mile production car certified by the National Hot Rod Association. Dodge execs also say the Demon is quicker than the Tesla Model S that Motor Trend crowned acceleration champ when we clocked the electric car reaching 60 mph in 2.28 seconds. The Demon recorded a time of 2.1 seconds, but that comes with a huge asterisk: The Tesla was tested on regular dry asphalt, but the Demon was on a regulation drag strip. Drag strips are coated in sticky resin, and the extra traction can shave a couple tenths of a second. So we will hold out on any pronouncements until we get a Demon for testing ourselves on our usual surface.

Some Dodge-generated stats to chew on:

• Zero to 60 mph in 2.1 seconds, which beats the Tesla Model S—again, on a stickier surface, which improves launch grip. Zero to 100 mph in 5.1 seconds.
  • Quarter mile in 9.65 seconds and 140 mph, which means it is legally banned from racing on a track without a rollcage.
  • It leaves the start line accelerating at 1.8 g, hitting 30 mph in 1.0 second.
  • Horsepower peaks at 6,300 rpm, torque at 4,500 rpm.
  • Brakes from 60 to 0 mph in 97 feet.
  • Eco mode limits it to 500 horsepower, starts in second gear, and short-shifts subsequent gears."

Source :
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodg...dodge-challenger-srt-demon-first-look-review/

Eh I trust the chief designer more than motortrend. 0-60 is 2.3 by his claim I'll even post the video for you

The other numbers match up with what is said in the video though.

As for where the other 32 horsepower comes from, it's that special tool crate.

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18187&mid=5
A few extra bits of information I felt should be shared:
  • Estimated base price is hovering around $85,000
  • 3000 are set to made for the 2018 MY, with 300 being allocated for Canadian buyers. It's unclear as to whether more Demons will be made.
  • The Demon box will be optional. Price is still unknown (though with Snap-on tools included it can't be cheap). One very notable thing is that the parts inside are needed for the full 840hp, as a Demon that rolls off of a Dodge lot will have 808hp. A different ECU, intake, HVAC switch module, and thermostat help make up those extra 32 ponies. The thinner front tires are also included, all installed by the owner of course.
  • The secondary HVAC module has a button for high octane so that the car properly utilizes the new parts.
  • Also, the passenger mirror can be removed, with a plate covering where it would go.
Source

Eh I trust the chief designer more than motortrend. 0-60 is 2.3 by his claim I'll even post the video for you

The other numbers match up with what is said in the video though.

As for where the other 32 horsepower comes from, it's that special tool crate.

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18187&mid=5

The MotorTrend article source is also from Dodge ... maybe it's a typo :P

If you read the article, it also says about the crate and how to get 840HP :

• Race fuel: if you buy the Crate, there is a hard button on the new switch plate. Push it to remap the engine to run on race fuel. The Demon uses two fuel pumps and increased-flow fuel injectors. You drive to the track on 91 octane then you put in your high-octane at the track. It will mix, and if it is not rich enough, the car will tell you.

The MotorTrend article source is also from Dodge ... maybe it's a typo :P

If you read the article, it also says about the crate and how to get 840HP :

• Race fuel: if you buy the Crate, there is a hard button on the new switch plate. Push it to remap the engine to run on race fuel. The Demon uses two fuel pumps and increased-flow fuel injectors. You drive to the track on 91 octane then you put in your high-octane at the track. It will mix, and if it is not rich enough, the car will tell you.

Yes and as posted there are parts that you use to make it work, with said fuel, if it was simply a higher octane then everyone would be able to gain 32 horsepower that easy. Not saying that the higher octane isn't part of getting to 840 but from the way Dodge has made it sound, is you need the crate parts to also do this. The records the car broke achieved it on the 840, and not the 808 off the lot.

Apparently about the information being in another thread, which was my original point.

I guess if you didn't want that feedback, maybe you shouldn't have pointed out the "other thread". đź’ˇ

In either case, I find it overly oppressive that people insist on maintaining 3 year old threads as the discussion area for entirely updated versions of a platform that will release in the next model year.

I believe it's disorienting, and is certainly not required to be managed in that way. Had there been an actually relevant thread, the OP of the news article may have been merged into it.

Yes and as posted there are parts that you use to make it work, with said fuel, if it was simply a higher octane then everyone would be able to gain 32 horsepower that easy. Not saying that the higher octane isn't part of getting to 840 but from the way Dodge has made it sound, is you need the crate parts to also do this. The records the car broke achieved it on the 840, and not the 808 off the lot.

2.1s wasn't a typo, it's 0-60 with rollout.

"

demon-first.jpg

Launching from a stop to 60 miles per hour takes just 2.3 seconds and since some automakers list their 0-60 times “with rollout,” Dodge did that too – clicking off a 2.1-second run. Launching from a stop and running up to 100mph only takes 5.1 seconds; and the Demon covers the quarter mile in just 9.65 seconds.

dodge-demon-third.jpg

An NHRA-certified time of 9.65 at 140 miles per hour makes the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon the quickest production road car in the world, period. This knocks off the Bugatti Veyron’s 6-year old record of 9.70, so there is literally no other street car in the world which will turn a quicker quarter mile time in stock form.

Also, while those record numbers were achieved with the skinny wheels up front and the high octane race fuel computer from the Demon crate, the numbers aren’t all that bad in the Demon's basic form. With the stock computer system running on premium gasoline (91+) and the huge 315 Nittos up front, the new supercharged Challenger will still lift the front wheels off of the ground on launch and it will still run a 9-second quarter mile - 9.90 to be exact.

Also, as long as we are talking numbers, we should point out that during testing of the Demon's Eco mode, which starts the car in 2nd gear and limits power to just 500hp, it still ran an 11.59.

While the Demon doesn’t come with a front passenger seat, a rear seat, or trunk trim from the factory, buyers can add each of those items as an option for a dollar. The front passenger seat costs $1, the back seat costs $1, and the trunk trim costs $1. That Demon Crate with the skinny front wheels, the tools, the high performance PCM, the new switch panel and a few other odds and ends also costs $1, so if you check all of the boxes for those items, it adds $4 to the final price.

Each Demon comes with a leather bound book which the owner receives when the order is placed with FCA by the dealership. This book explains all of the unique features, how things like the TransBrake, intercooler chiller, and the after-run cooling system works, with hints of how to set up the drive mode system for the best possible quarter mile times. This book also includes a race log and a coupon which allows the Demon owner to order their Demon Crate from FCA.

The Crate is sent directly to the owner’s home (or wherever they want it sent), so the dealership isn’t involved in that aspect and it is during this phase where Dodge is doing something interesting to try to prevent greedy dealerships from ordering a car and adding a huge markup without a buyer waiting.

When the Demon buyer orders his or her new Mopar muscle car, that person’s name is applied to the Demon Crate, which has a matching VIN to the car. This cannot be ordered blank, so dealerships will be forced to provide a name and if they just put the dealership name or a generic name, it will make the car less attractive to some buyers. Dealers almost have to order the car with an actual buyer lined up, which should help curb the massive markups.

Dodge will build 3,300 of the 2018 Dodge Challenger Demons — 3,000 for the US and 300 for Canada. Prior to the first batch of orders, every dealership in the US and Canada will be told exactly how many Demons they will be getting. This way, dealerships won’t be able to tell prospective buyers that they “might get a car”, since the dealership will know exactly how many they will get before the first car reaches an owner.
"

Source : http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger/demon.html

Last edited:
EDK
Apparently about the information being in another thread, which was my original point.

I guess if you didn't want that feedback, maybe you shouldn't have pointed out the "other thread". đź’ˇ
For certain I think the attempt to break apart or ignore threads already discussing something just to justify GTP Newswire threads is pretty silly, but I can't make it any more clear that the timing of when it occurred in this instance (five days after the car was officially announced that had all been spent talking about it in the Challenger thread) was what I was referring to.

EDK
In either case, I find it overly oppressive that people insist on maintaining 3 year old threads as the discussion area for entirely updated versions of a platform that will release in the next model year.

I believe it's disorienting, and is certainly not required to be managed in that way. Had there been an actually relevant thread, the OP of the news article may have been merged into it.
I'm sorry that you think this forum is the Suggestions section, but most people I think can manage to continue discussions of modified versions of cars that they already had been discussing even of it's not "required" to manage threads in that style. Multiple people including yourself had managed to do so for five pages, so it can't have been too disorienting.

In fact, I daresay that since the five pages of posts on this thread didn't materialize out of thin air, perhaps the thread they came out of where the car had been discussed for three months before the GTP article about it may very well have been the relevant one with a name change.

Last edited:
I believe why the 0-60mph time is so low has a lot to do with the tires. In the image above, it looks like it's wearing...drag radials? The Charger SRT Hellcat can reach sixty in 2.9 seconds with drag radials (http://www.torquenews.com/106/torquenews-exclusive-hellcat-charger-runs-107-29s-0-60-drs-video), but with the normal street tires, most publications get 3.7 seconds instead. Quite interesting if they really are gonna sell the Challenger SRT Demon with those as the default tires. Perhaps it's gonna be quite a handful in the rain, even with the traction control and stability systems turned on. I imagine the kind of people looking forward to get this car does not have the same driving prowess as, say, those that are really into lightweight specials like Caterhams and Radicals. But I may be wrong. Just generalizing things...

Question about that NHRA time. Is it actually certified if it's banned from the NHRA? I'm just asking because, an owner can't "officially" duplicate that run on a track.

Question about that NHRA time. Is it actually certified if it's banned from the NHRA? I'm just asking because, an owner can't "officially" duplicate that run on a track.

They can*. Once**. It's not banned from the track, it's banned from competition.

*with perfect conditions

**the track will throw them out if they go faster than a 9.99, which let's be honest probably isn't very likely for most owners who decide to take their cars to the strip. Factor in the likely hood they've done everything needed to get the full power, the percentage of owners that will pass on getting the passenger seats back, swap to skinnies, non ideal track prep for test'n'tune nights and I'm willing to bet most owners will see times in 10's.

Quite interesting if they really are gonna sell the Challenger SRT Demon with those as the default tires. Perhaps it's gonna be quite a handful in the rain, even with the traction control and stability systems turned on.

That picture with the drag radials on the front and rear is exactly how the car will leave the showroom floor. Those skinny front wheels are included in the crate along with the piggy back computer with the race gas tune, and a new intake among some Snap-On impact wrenches, and a jack for changing the wheels out.

Last edited:
For certain I think the attempt to break apart or ignore threads already discussing something just to justify GTP Newswire threads is pretty silly, but I can't make it any more clear that the timing of when it occurred in this instance (five days after the car was officially announced that had all been spent talking about it in the Challenger thread) was what I was referring to.
Fair enough, apologies that I characterized your post as a complaint.

In fact, I daresay that since the five pages of posts on this thread didn't materialize out of thin air, perhaps the thread they came out of where the car had been discussed for three months before the GTP article about it ay very well have been the relevant one with a name change.
This is a part that I don't agree with, and from everything I've seen @Jordan post, he doesn't really align on either.

As a matter of fact, that specific thread had been dormant for more than a year what it was revived last December.

From the FAQ

FAQ
When to Create a New Thread

Threads are the lifeblood of any online forum, and keep the discussion fresh and moving forward. They also help logically segment and organize conversations in very useful ways. Sometimes, however, there may be confusion about when to start a new thread or reply to an existing one. As a general rule of thumb, if a thread has not received any replies in the past year, you should probably create a new one on the general topic unless you have something to contribute that is specific to the older conversation.

The insistence that we must use four year old threads that are only somewhat relevant to the topic at hand, as opposed to creating a new, more relevant thread, is the part that I find oppressive. The reason I use that word is because many long time members have it in their head that there is almost no reason to create a new thread, avoid that at all costs. And the result are these 4 year old, 23 page/684 post long mega threads that have information on a wide variety of sub-models and concepts.

You keep referring to the GT sections, but my point is actually the opposite. Rather than trying to pigeon hole somewhat related topics into one massive thread, why not create one that more specifically defines the topic at hand?

Yes, I posted in that thread, to answer a question, and then a comment on my post. For sure I am a fan of the Challenger, for sure I like my car. The Demon is cool and continues to bring attention to the brand, it does what Dodge/SRT/FCA intended it to do. I'd just like to see a separate, more relevant discussion about it. And now we have that.

Last edited:
I am understanding of that. Slow news day, site needs to keep hits up to justify its expansion, people want to write about things, whatever the reason may be. None of that is particularly hard to grasp.

It had nothing to do with being a slow news day: we've covered a bunch of other automotive news lately. Gaming is still the primary focus, and that tends to take priority. It's almost as if there was big news in that category the same day (and day after) the Demon news broke...

And yet, I'm still going to comment on the disconnect between the main site and the forum when I find it notable. And I'm certainly going to defend myself when someone comes in and claims that the standards that apply when a bunch of people spam every single car announcement at every single autoshow in a new thread about cars they want in Gran Turismo games should also apply to people who have actually been having long-term discussions about the automobiles in question; particularly when they are obviously related like the 2018 Demon is to the 2015 Hellcat that the Challenger thread had mostly been about to that point.

The only mention I've seen of the Suggestions forum came from you, not anybody else.

What's silly about having more concise threads on particular subjects?

The Demon is a pretty significant update to an existing car. It generates a lot of discussion on its own. Instead of dropping it into a three-year old thread and hoping those that haven't been keeping a close eye on it know where the relevant discussion starts, spinning it off into its own thread makes it easier for people to talk about it and follow the narrative.

I'm looking at the calendar, and the official reveal happened Tuesday night. That's less than 48 hours between it and the news post, which is neither five days, or "last weekend". Yes, it wasn't posted immediately after Dodge's reveal: a look at the front page content on Tuesday and Wednesday should give a hint as to why.

I'm sorry that you think this forum is the Suggestions section, but most people I think can manage to continue discussions of modified versions of cars that they already had been discussing even of it's not "required" to manage threads in that style.

I'm sorry you think that's the intended goal, since it's never been stated as such.

Sometimes, articles will link to existing threads. Sometimes, they won't. As already mentioned, the plan was to spin off the Demon talk before the article went up.

Back