The New Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is the World's Fastest Muscle Car

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 278 comments
It had nothing to do with being a slow news day: we've covered a bunch of other automotive news lately.
Which I'd also say is pretty indicative of a slow news day, or one of those other things I mentioned.

The only mention I've seen of the Suggestions forum came from you, not anybody else.
That's because it's being used as a point of comparison due to the specific wording EDK used in his original response.

The Demon is a pretty significant update to an existing car. It generates a lot of discussion on its own. Instead of dropping it into a three-year old thread and hoping those that haven't been keeping a close eye on it know where the relevant discussion starts, spinning it off into its own thread makes it easier for people to talk about it and follow the narrative.
No, it absolutely does not. The Challenger thread was not the sprawling cesspit of the GT Sport General Discussion thread, where day to day what people are talking about changes and the thread moves so fast that you would have to basically skip anything talked about previously. It was a thread about a specific car model that really only ever talked about that specific car model. Trim levels and updates are still relevant when they are of fundamentally the same vehicle. The "narrative" for this car has from the start directly followed the same "narrative" that the Challenger has had since it debuted; and the "narrative" that the Hellcat in particular had which this car is a derivative of.

Going from that:
What's silly about having more concise threads on particular subjects?
It makes it considerably harder to chase down specific past posts discussing the topic, for one. It makes it more inconvenient to find points of conversation that may have already been discussed, for two. It breaks up the flow of discussion into something actually confusing when it's not easy to ascertain whether a post should go in an existing thread that is similar or a different thread that is also similar, which can and almost always does cause overlap between the smaller threads, for three. You probably disagree with all three of those, and likely EDK would as well; but you're not the only one who is a moderator on a large fan forum and those are my experiences.

I'm looking at the calendar, and the official reveal happened Tuesday night.
This thread was talking about the first PR photos on Sunday. Nonetheless, I misspoke on "official."

Last edited:
That's because it's being used as a point of comparison due to the specific wording EDK used in his original response.
But see, you've totally missed my point. And I think I've made it pretty clear in my follow up post today that you have chosen to ignore.

I know this is not the car suggestions area, and yet I do not understand why people insist on monolithic discussion threads.

I've also acknowledged that I mis-characterized your original post, but hopefully you can see how I might have mis-read your intent?

Breaking news: Things that were already being discussed on GTP for several days in a thread already talking about the car for several months.

If not, this conversation is a lost cause..........

EDK
But see, you've totally missed my point. And I think I've made it pretty clear in my follow up post today that you have chosen to ignore
Maybe I didn't respond to it because I didn't have any issue with it after you've clarified your position, or maybe I felt that Slip's more extensive post was nonetheless close enough to ground you covered that issues I did have seemed superfluous to comment on twice, rather than because I've just chosen to ignore it.

EDK
I've also acknowledged that I mis-characterized your original post, but hopefully you can see how I might have mis-read your intent?
Certainly. Since I'm now effectively defending a point that I originally wasn't intending to make, I can guess that that hasn't helped either.

They can*. Once**. It's not banned from the track, it's banned from competition.

*with perfect conditions

**the track will throw them out if they go faster than a 9.99, which let's be honest probably isn't very likely for most owners who decide to take their cars to the strip. Factor in the likely hood they've done everything needed to get the full power, the percentage of owners that will pass on getting the passenger seats back, swap to skinnies, non ideal track prep for test'n'tune nights and I'm willing to bet most owners will see times in 10's.

They'd still get kicked out for not having the right safety equipment, even if it wasn't below 9.99.

They'd still get kicked out for not having the right safety equipment, even if it wasn't below 9.99.

What makes you say that?

Recognizing the safety-inspired design and construction of today’s late model vehicles, the NHRA has actually rescinded its previous guidelines for street vehicles running 9.99 to 11.49 that required the use of a roll cage or roll bar, now permitting unaltered, 2008 and later model hard top vehicles to compete as they come from the factory without the addition of said roll bar/cage.

Keep the trap speed under 135mph and the ET slower than 9.99s and they cannot kick you out. Hence why you'll see/hear cars off the throttle before the end of the track.

What makes you say that?

Keep the trap speed under 135mph and the ET slower than 9.99s and they cannot kick you out. Hence why you'll see/hear cars off the throttle before the end of the track.

Because I've seen people kicked out for going a certain trap speed or ET and since they didn't have a helmet or half cage they were kicked out, even in newer cars. This was back in 2012/13 before one of the drag strips here in Arizona closed down that me and dad use to go to.

Now if they actually solely respect NHRA rules and don't have more strict guidelines on top of NHRA recommend rules, great try to make sure you don't run it below 9.99. Though to think it wont happen...is quite wrong it will, you don't need to be a pro drag racer to do it. And I bet you some people will outdo the pass Dodge did. However, as posted in this thread Dodge seems to have a mentality of a drag car for the street, which isn't something as a fan or dodge at one point would be proud to see.

Because I've seen people kicked out for going a certain trap speed or ET and since they didn't have a helmet or half cage they were kicked out, even in newer cars. This was back in 2012/13 before one of the drag strips here in Arizona closed down that me and dad use to go to.

Hence why I said "Keep the trap speed under 135mph and the ET slower than 9.99s"

Yes some tracks have stricter rules than NHRA guidelines but I though the discussion was the whole "banned from NHRA competition" or whatever Dodge was providing in the press release. Some people took that to mean you can't take the car to the track which is completely untrue.

Hence why I said "Keep the trap speed under 135mph and the ET slower than 9.99s"

Yes some tracks have stricter rules than NHRA guidelines but I though the discussion was the whole "banned from NHRA competition" or whatever Dodge was providing in the press release. Some people took that to mean you can't take the car to the track which is completely untrue.

No the discussion was originally how Dodge could have made sure the car wouldn't be banned in general. Banned from competition could easily mean any competition, be it a production car event, where the only change is drag radials or full on slicks. To simple drag runs on the weekend. The point being the moment you dip under 10 seconds your going to be kicked out and had dodge simply tried working with the NHRA to improve the rules further it could have been avoided.

Rather now it's a badge of honor that you can't take your Dodge and run it at full potential at the track. It gives you street cred...

Also it should be noted, that if a car without safety equipment goes one or the other you'll be kicked out. The trap speed limit is set before a parachute is needed, and the ET before a roll cage.

No the discussion was originally how Dodge could have made sure the car wouldn't be banned in general. Banned from competition could easily mean any competition, be it a production car event, where the only change is drag radials or full on slicks. To simple drag runs on the weekend. The point being the moment you dip under 10 seconds your going to be kicked out and had dodge simply tried working with the NHRA to improve the rules further it could have been avoided.

Rather now it's a badge of honor that you can't take your Dodge and run it at full potential at the track. It gives you street cred...

Also it should be noted, that if a car without safety equipment goes one or the other you'll be kicked out. The trap speed limit is set before a parachute is needed, and the ET before a roll cage.

I don't think NHRA would have "worked" with Dodge anyways if they had requested so. Hell maybe they did ask, but they can't make an exception considering th Demon is probably no safer than any Mclaren or other proction car that can trap above 135mph.

I'm not sure if any official info has been released but this is in a Demon at the reveal or NYIAS. Could be a dealer installed accessory.

C9LIt1NVYAApd6B.jpg

And yes I knew that either or will get you kicked out I just worded my response poorly

I don't think NHRA would have "worked" with Dodge anyways if they had requested so. Hell maybe they did ask, but they can't make an exception considering th Demon is probably no safer than any Mclaren or other proction car that can trap above 135mph.

I'm not sure if any official info has been released but this is in a Demon at the reveal or NYIAS. Could be a dealer installed accessory.

C9LIt1NVYAApd6B.jpg

And yes I knew that either or will get you kicked out I just worded my response poorly

Okay well it's fine then, and if that is a dealer set up extra, that'd be great and proves how easy it is to get one set up in the first place.

Also I'd say a car with a full on carbon tub/mono frame, is far more safer than anything else.

I saw the Demon the other day at the NYIAS and it had the largest crowd around it. And its the stupidest car there, the car was displayed as it was drag racing but they said it was ban from drag racing its like having a track only car and displaying it as a road car. If you are selling it as road car and drag racer it has to have safety equipment for both. The thing inside is more of a strut bar then a roll bar.
I thought they would make the interior like the ACR concept from a few years ago
dsc_0046.jpg

Is there any NHRA rules about seats? The Demon has the regular seats you find in the Challenger

I saw the Demon the other day at the NYIAS and it had the largest crowd around it. And its the stupidest car there, the car was displayed as it was drag racing but they said it was ban from drag racing its like having a track only car and displaying it as a road car. If you are selling it as road car and drag racer it has to have safety equipment for both. The thing inside is more of a strut bar then a roll bar.
I thought they would make the interior like the ACR concept from a few years ago
dsc_0046.jpg

Is there any NHRA rules about seats? The Demon has the regular seats you find in the Challenger

No the rule just pertains to ET or Trap speed and needing a roll cage and door bars if you hit those marks. Also if you go slight faster than the required speed for a roll cage, you then need a parachute, which I believe the time shown by Dodge was five or ten miles per hour slower than the require. I'm sure that someone will hit it though, and perhaps even go faster than the time set in the 1/4 mile by Dodge.

So the only requirements, are rollcage and door bars at a certain point, five point harness, helmet and parachute.

http://www.allpar.com/news/2017/04/does-the-demon-stop-faster-than-the-camaro-zl1-37310

Critics of the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon insist that it is nothing more than a drag car, and some claim that the smaller Brembo braking package will cause this supercharged Challenger to offer worse braking performance than the Hellcat cars.

The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon comes with 14.2 inch rotors and four-piston calipers up front, and 13.8 inch rotors and 4-piston calipers out back. For comparison, the Hellcat Challenger has similar brakes in the rear, with 6-piston calipers and 15.4 inch rotors up front.

This smaller front brakes led critics to say that the Demon won’t stop as well as the standard Hellcat, but that doesn’t take tires into account. The Demon went from the normal Hellcat’s 275 mm wide performance tires to 315mm wide drag radials, so it has more contact with the road and much stickier rubber, resulting in incredible stopping power, even with the smaller front brakes.

In tests, the Demon stopped much more quickly than the Hellcat Challenger – and more quickly than the new Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, which is billed as an all-around performance car.

he standard industry test for stopping is measured from 60 miles per hour down to a complete stop, and the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is able to get stopped from 60 in just 97 feet.

That sounds impressive, but consider the stopping distances of some other high performance vehicles. According to Chevrolet, both the 2017 Camaro ZL1 and Camaro SS 1LE take 107 feet to get stopped from 60; the Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang takes 102 feet, the Dodge Viper GTS takes 99 feet, and the previous Camaro Z28 took 100 feet.

That means the new Dodge Demon – the car billed at the “one trick pony” by so many critics – is able to stop more quickly than the most powerful Camaro (ZL1 1LE braking distances have not been announced yet).

The 2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS and Shelby GT350R Mustang each take 96 feet to stop, so the 4,280lb Demon only takes 12 inches further to stop than those two lightweight track machines.

So, for those who insist that the Demon is too heavily equipped for track use to be a daily driver, keep in mind that the 840hp, 9-second car will stop from 60 more quickly than almost any car sold in America, including the supercharged Camaro ZL1.

But what about when it has the skinny tires on the front? I'm sure stopping from the speeds the Demon is capable of on a drag strip is more important than being able to panic stop in traffic. And why did they decrease the front brake size anyway?

But what about when it has the skinny tires on the front? I'm sure stopping from the speeds the Demon is capable of on a drag strip is more important than being able to panic stop in traffic. And why did they decrease the front brake size anyway?

The wheels your not supposed too use on the street? The smaller (normal) breaks are because of the standard 18inch rims

The wheels your not supposed too use on the street? The smaller (normal) breaks are because of the standard 18inch rims

Guess the better question is why they didn't go with a more powerful brake set up if they knew they were going to go 2 inches down on the wheel size. Then again I have to imagine the 305 up front gives enough stopping grip along with the brakes.

Last edited:
Realistically any modern brake setup is powerful enough to lock up any size production tire and in any compound. At this point the advantage of a larger size is better heat dissipation.

Dodge Demon to start at 86,091.

Dpdge has finally announced the complete pricing for the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon. When you factor in the gas guzzler tax, destination, the cost of the Demon Crate and both the front passenger and rear seats, the MSRP starts at $86,093. However, if all you care about is running 9.60s with a street legal, factory built muscle car, you can get into the Demon with everything that you need for the low price of $86,091.

Technically, the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon has an MSRP of $83,295. The gas guzzler tax adds $1,700, the destination fee adds $1,095, and the Demon Crate, the front passenger seat, and the rear seat assembly each add a dollar — yes, that is literally $1 for each.

According to Dodge, the contents of the Demon Crate when priced out individually would cost around $6,140, but buyers can opt-in for all of the contents of that magical box for just one dollar. The factory trunk carpeting can also be added in for a dollar.

“Eighty-five thousand dollars is not just a number in a business case to Dodge; we know it’s a lot of money and a significant up-charge over a Challenger Hellcat,” said Tim Kuniskis, who heads up Dodge, Chrysler, and Fiat cars in North America. “We worked very hard to build as much value into the Challenger SRT Demon as possible – features, performance and exclusivity that simply can’t be duplicated with a goal of maintaining, and possibly even growing, as much future value as possible.”

Demon Options Detailed

The 2018 Demon does come with a few more options than we had expected, all of which make the 840 horsepower Challenger a little more street-friendly.

The Comfort Audio Group includes the passenger’s side seat, an 18 speaker Harman Kardon sound system with including two subwoofers and a 900W amplifier, premium floor mats and bright pedals. This package has an MSRP of $995.

The Leather Front Seat Group add a Laguna leather and Alcantara suede-wrapped seats with an embossed Demon logo on the seatback. This package comes with the passenger’s side seat and both front seats are both heated and cooled, but this package also adds a heated steering wheel, a power tilt and telescope steering wheel, premium floor mats and bright finished pedals. The Leather Front Seat Group has an MSRP of $1,595.

The Comfort Group with Leather Seats, as you might imagine, combines the features of the Comfort Group with the features of the Leather Front Seat Group, so this package includes the leather and suede, heated and cooled front seats, the premium floor mats, the power heated/tilt/telescope steering wheel, the bright pedals and the 18 speaker Harman sound system. This package has an MSRP of $2,495, so you save $95 off of the two individual packages.

2018 Dodge Demon buyers who want to spruce up the interior can add red seat belts for $195 while those buyers who want a unique exterior design can opt for the satin black hood or the satin black graphics package. The satin black hood costs $1,995 while the satin black graphics package – which paints the hood, roof and deck lid the stylish satin black – costs $3,495.

Finally, the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon does come with a sunroof, but it might be the most expensive sunroof option that we have ever seen. The Demon sunroof adds $4,995, and while that price seems incredibly high, the fact that adding a sunroof to a drag car is so counter-intuitive has led FCA to price the sunroof considerably higher than the key go-fast options.

With all these options and groups, the tag is $97,273. That is the list price with literally every option, so as Tim Kuniskis promised when the car debuted back in April, the Demon is well below $100,000, even when fully loaded.

We still don’t know exactly how Dodge will handle the allocation of the 3,000 Demons in the US and the 300 Demons in Canada, but we now know how much the quickest production car in the history of the automobile will cost when it hits dealerships later this year. The company will begin taking orders this summer and deliveries will begin this fall.

Why not just make the Demon crate and passenger seats as standard equipment? Why only charged a $1 each of them?
It seems stupid. Are they trying to add more titles to the car, " the car with the world's cheapest optional equipment"?

Why not just make the Demon crate and passenger seats as standard equipment? Why only charged a $1 each of them?
It seems stupid. Are they trying to add more titles to the car, " the car with the world's cheapest optional equipment"?

A friend put it best, it's Dodge trying to lay claim to the title of 'douchiest car company ever'.

Because the main purpose of the car includes not having them. If someone is so inclined to need them, then they are available for purchase. Maybe there is some legal thing about handing them out for free so Dodge is charging the minimum. Who knows.

Because the main purpose of the car includes not having them. If someone is so inclined to need them, then they are available for purchase. Maybe there is some legal thing about handing them out for free so Dodge is charging the minimum. Who knows.

As for the seats, its easier for them to install them later than it is to uninstall them from the production line.

Not sure what the problem is in the $1 options, this has been reported since the release of the car that that would be the price to add options. Which tells me that fender flares, revised hood were minimal cost of developing compared to the engine and suspension which is what probably makes up the 20k+ extra between it an the Hellcat. The extras being said price tell me that it's most likely accounted for in the actual msrp even if you don't get them.

Or business is so good that Dodge can afford to give stuff like that away. I don't know for sure but if anything that single portion should be something of praise compared to what options usually cost on vehicles like this and even lower end stuff.

Last edited:
Not sure what the problem is in the $1 options, this has been reported since the release of the car that that would be the price to add options. Which tells me that fender flares, revised hood were minimal cost of developing compared to the engine and suspension which is what probably makes up the 20k+ extra between it an the Hellcat. The extras being price tell me that it's most likely accounted for in the actual msrp even if you don't get them.

Or business is so good that Dodge can afford to give stuff like that away. I don't know for sure but if anything that single portion should be something of praise compared to what options usually cost on vehicles like this and even lower end stuff.

This

Lets see BMW try to charge you $1 for rear seats in your M4 GTS.....

Dont get a fit about charging a Buck for something this when your getting so much more in the overall package..

I know it supposed to a single seater drag racer street legal car.
I never heard a law where there was a min. or max. a car company had to charged for options on a car. Floor mats on a 911 Turbo are optional and they cost $0.
Having the seats and Demon crate cost $1 each makes seem like those CD/DVD club scam thing, where you pay $1 for 5 CDs/DVDs now then every month for the next 2 years you had buy more Cds/DVDs at full retail prices.

Not sure what the problem is in the $1 options, this has been reported since the release of the car that that would be the price to add options. Which tells me that fender flares, revised hood were minimal cost of developing compared to the engine and suspension which is what probably makes up the 20k+ extra between it an the Hellcat. The extras being said price tell me that it's most likely accounted for in the actual msrp even if you don't get them.

The seats were said to cost $1 but the Demon crate was said to cost about $5K. And the part that makes it 840hp and the parts to make it a drag racer are in the crate. So they are not really giving it away.

The seats were said to cost $1 but the Demon crate was said to cost about $5K. And the part that makes it 840hp and the parts to make it a drag racer are in the crate. So they are not really giving it away.

From the news press that was just seen on this very page and even when the release hit, claims it is a dollar option. Yes most of here who have followed the car know that you need the crate to get the 840 because of things like additional hvac and guide that allows for more aggressive chip tune, as well as the skinny front radials. Another factor to get the 840 is running race fuel.

So yeah they are giving it away unless the press release above is wrong and you have info somewhere else that I haven't seen. I've already said if you read my post as you seem to (since you're responding to it) that there is a potential that the MSRP is where they're most likely charging people for the crate without saying it, and just making it a nice ploy with the whole "but if you want it, just add an extra dollar!"

From the news press that was just seen on this very page and even when the release hit, claims it is a dollar option. Yes most of here who have followed the car know that you need the crate to get the 840 because of things like additional hvac and guide that allows for more aggressive chip tune, as well as the skinny front radials. Another factor to get the 840 is running race fuel.

So yeah they are giving it away unless the press release above is wrong and you have info somewhere else that I haven't seen. I've already said if you read my post as you seem to (since you're responding to it) that there is a potential that the MSRP is where they're most likely charging people for the crate without saying it, and just making it a nice ploy with the whole "but if you want it, just add an extra dollar!"

a Dollar option that is worth $6-7,000 is giving away.

Back