The NSX is making a return...

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,074 comments
Clean production of hydrogen requires electricity. And you aren't going to get enough of that from clean sources, unless you are considering nuclear a clean source.

Hydroelectric. Solar. Geothermal. Certain forms of nuclear are clean enough to count, IMO.

As you so kindly pointed out before, your state is 90% hydro power. That area would seem capable of generating hydrogen if they chose to. Do away with using the spill gates (which are wasted energy) and simply divert excess power to a hydrogen generation plant.

I'm not saying it's a brilliant idea, but it's something else that could become a solution. The obstacles are certainly no greater than those facing pure battery electric cars.

The most widely used method of producing hydrogen is with methane, a fossil fuel. It's not perfect because it generates a lot of carbon dioxide. This dude wrote a book and in it said that producing hydrogen using methane actually makes more carbon dioxide than just burning the natural gas directly.

Even if it didn't, it would make more sense to just burn the natural gas instead of breaking it down to make hydrogen. That's just an extra step you don't really need.

There are other methods of making hydrogen by using fossil fuels, including by burning coal. But that's stupid, because coal makes pretty good electricity which is already used to power pretty much everything and has a pretty awesome infrastructure to support it. So how about you just use the coal to make electricity because we already do that on a grand scale.

You could also make hydrogen via electrolysis, but that's also a stupid idea which is why it's rarely used. Producing any useable amount of hydrogen via electrolysis requires immense amounts of electricity, which of course is usually created using the aforementioned coal. Seems like we should just use the electricity then, right? On top of that, the most efficient forms of electrolysis are still vastly less efficient than using natural gas, which of course we can already use as a fuel, etc, etc...

As you can see, hydrogen makes very little sense as a mass-market fuel source. It's rare naturally, which means we have to make it, and we make it by using fuels which are already useful and commonly used in themselves. Clearly, it makes more sense to just keep using them instead of making things even more complicated.

The answer is quite simple, really.

delorean_40_153.jpg

car_photo_485974_7.jpg

The Honda NSX supercar is set to return as a 400bhp four-wheel-drive hybrid
We’ve already seen spy shots of a concept car on the set of the new Avengers movie, and we’ve since had confirmation that the Detroit show car will be heavily based on that model. Our images show a coupe, but the final production version will also be offered as a roadster.
The concept will beshown as an Acura – the firm’s luxury North American arm –but it will be badged as a Honda when it arrives in the UK, and retain its forebear’s NSX name. Power will come from a 3.5-litre V6 driving one axle and a pair of in-wheel electric motors to turn the other. This will give the NSX four-wheel-drive traction and 400bhp-plus. Performance will be impressive, with 0-62mph taking under five seconds.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/276454/new_400bhp_honda_nsx.html

Last edited:
If this has the beak/shield it is an instant fail. Even if it had a v8 lifted straight out of their F1 car. That is how bad it is.

That kind I looks like the Acura and Honda dnx concept cars that are in gran turismo 5. They're hybrids too. And Awd. And make 400+ hp. But there very heavy.. Hoping the NSx is lighter than the gtr.

Great news. I always love NSX's, this one looks good so far.

Jerome

They should the 2003 HSC design; that was (sans the rear) darn near perfect and still fitting for 2012.

As for the powerplant discussion, there's a bias towards hydrogen power for many auto-enthusiasts, including myself, because its combustible nature makes it the seemingly only hope we have of a future fuel source that will allow cars to retain that essential part of their character - their exhaust note. Needless to say, a future where every vehicle on sale is a silent, soulless electric scares me to death.

Honda_HSC_Sports_Car_Concept_c_1280x800.jpg

HONDA-HSC-0.jpg

6 more days, until the Detroit Auto Show, god I can't wait!
I'm hoping that there isn't much difference between the concept, and the 2005 model, I also hope that there will be an R, and R-GT version too.

I think the NSX is going to be the biggest reveal at Detroit. I wish that released at teaser pic of it.

3 years is a long time; that car looks good now, but chances are it'll change quite a bit.

Good to see it will be designed & built in America like my TL. :)

Been following the reveal - looks fantastic. No issues with the styling, and although I'm sure some will complain, I think the awd/hybrid drivetrain is a good move too.

Hmmm. I can't be the only one that thinks this is a little underwhelming. Even the most exciting angle I've seen so far can be described as generic at best. I really can't see this thing ageing with the same grace as the original NSX did.

FY12_FV_NSX_HERO_04.jpg

Perhaps the product of a too-lengthy development time? Considering there still remains a two or three year wait until rollout, I sincerely hope they have accounted for a significant refresh closer to launch.

exigeracer
I really can't see this thing ageing with the same grace as the original NSX did.

To be fair to the new NSX, very few modern cars age gracefully. At least this thing is relatively simple, so it shouldn't date through changing fashions as much as many. The lines and proportions are right. I really like it, though I agree it's nothing particularly special.

The styling will probably change over development of the concept so I really don't have a strong opinion on that other than it looks like as aforementioned, a bland Audi R8, instead of an NSX, but I'm questioning two things,

The drivetrain being AWD

&

The "hybrid" aspect of it.

First for the AWD, its not that I have anything against AWD drive, its just........why? The past NSX's were RWD, and there really wasn't any known flaws, so it brings up the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" phrase.

And the idea that this will be a hybrid sport, worries the living 🤬 out of me, its not that I'm anti-hybrid, its just....look at the other hybrid super cars, only few have actually been, well, super cars.

But I'm trying to remember that it is a concept, and 90% percent of the time concepts receive drastic facelifts, so I really doubt that what we see here will be the final model.

Watt2159
First for the AWD, its not that I have anything against AWD drive, its just........why? The past NSX's were RWD, and there really wasn't any known flaws, so it brings up the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" phrase.

And the idea that this will be a hybrid sport, worries the living 🤬 out of me, its not that I'm anti-hybrid, its just....look at the other hybrid super cars, only few have actually been, well, super cars.

With regards AWD, I suppose it gives Acura technology brownie points. After the Audi R8 and Nissan GTR, both of which can do amazing things yet be incredibly easy to drive, it's easy to see the motivation.

With regards hybrid, what other "hybrid supercars" are you referring to? There haven't been any, to my knowledge. There's absolutely zero reason it can't work well, and into the bargain you'll have stuff like low-speed EV mode, which is frankly better when pottering around town. Or useful tax breaks in countries like Japan and the UK to stick a finger up at the government.

With regards AWD, I suppose it gives Acura technology brownie points. After the Audi R8 and Nissan GTR, both of which can do amazing things yet be incredibly easy to drive, it's easy to see the motivation.

If I remember correctly, their SH-AWD system is a pretty fancy setup, and should work quite well in the NSX. The torque-transferring should be enough to supply the necessary grip, and with the electric motors powering the front-wheels, it should let them get some squeaky-clean numbers with the EPA testing.

So, no, it isn't as "pure" as the original, with all that work done by Senna and those crafty buggers at Honda. But, in the end, the NSX will be completely different than the GT-R and LF-A... More likely than not, a sports car that average people can afford, and in the end, drive like an average car.

My only issue is that it looks a little too much like the MP4-12C. Especially from the 3/4 shot.

Back