The NSX is making a return...

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,074 comments
It was designed to compete with the Ferrari 348 and remained essentially unchanged it's entire life while Ferrari released the 355, 360, AND F430 in the same time period. 300hp all the way up to 485hp.

Well, the Acura website says it'll have AWD and a hybrid drivetrain, that's where I got that from...
I wasn't actually directing that at you. You're one of the few people on this site so far, that has made valid opinions on the car.

I'm referring to folks who already seem to know that this car has no soul or is an eco-car rather than a proper sports car. It's not released, how can they possibly make their "opinions" on these subjects? I can sit here & say the 130R is a soulful, magnificent car. How would I know that?!
It's not really been released yet, and the post I quoted implied that a hybrid supercar was somehow a bad thing - you'd struggle to find anyone who considers the 918 Spyder a bad thing.

Nor the BMW i8, which is another hybrid sports/supercar on the way.
Technically, it has been released to a certain degree; they greenlit production in summer 2010 & started accepting orders in May of last year of which the list filled rather fast. The production version is set to be shown at Frankfurt in 201 just before the first cars are rolled off the line. It will also receive a new motor & my guess is for the car to enter production alongside the 918 RSR's debut at LeMans.

Porsche currently offers 918 Spyder Edition 911 Turbos to only those on the waiting list to "by-pass" the production time til' their cars are finished. Which means if you see a 911 Turbo of that edition with #003 or whatever, that's the 3rd customer on the waiting list.

Last edited:
McLaren
....my guess is for the car to enter production alongside the 918 RSR's debut at LeMans.
Unless GT1 comes back as a class then that won't happen....we will however likely see Porches 'Audi R8, McLaren MP4-12C, Ferrari F458' fighter become the new GTE car when it shows up.

As for the NSX, bar that front end I like it.

Unless GT1 comes back as a class then that won't happen....we will however likely see Porches 'Audi R8, McLaren MP4-12C, Ferrari F458' fighter become the new GTE car when it shows up.

As for the NSX, bar that front end I like it.
You're right. What I should have said was the 918 RSR's LMP1-based successor.

Fair enough, you've put me on a downer though thinking about what GT1 used to be....

Speaking of endurance racing, wonder if we'll see the NSX return to the GTE class to repeat it's 1995 GT2 class victory?

suddenly this came to me, isn't a modern NSX actually....a carrera GT?

I failed to see anything Carrera GT in it, neither for it being a Carrera GT. Doesn't even have anything to be the future of Carrera GT... Explain maybe?

it's a logical extension of that concept from a mechanical standpoint. maybe with two less cylinders and a transversely mounted engine.

I don't think you fully understand the term 'dated' as used here.

Dated in this case refers to something that has become a caricature of it's time. If you look at a 1987 Ferrari Testarossa, it looks absolutely and totally 80s. It might even symbolize 80s sports cars. Some cars have enough strength in design and creativity that they stand apart from their time. Timeless is another good word. It's obviously relative, because no matter how timeless, say, the Miura is, it will never look contemporary. Look at the original Mclaren F1, or the FD3S RX-7. (I'm not convinced the original NSX is timeless, it looks pretty 90s to me) The F1 and the Rx-7 don't look current, but they don't look like a facsimile of the 1990s either. In much the same way I think that cars like the S2000, Murcielago 6.2, and a few others will age well, because they have a purity of design. Whereas the more 'design trend' cars like the Audi R8, every current Lexus and Infiniti and generally most cars on the road will begin to look dated when the popular trend shifts, as it always does. Just look at concept cars from 2005 and see what I mean by dated.

I agree with this... but couldn't disagree more with regards to the FD, if someone were to ask me to describe typical 90's sportscar styling, for me the FD would be a very good example of this... for me it does look like a facsimile of the 90's in the same respect that a Supra or Del-Sol does (can think of many other examples... but TBH too many to list), don't get me wrong, i love the FD and it still looks really good today but it still looks 90's imho.

it's a logical extension of that concept from a mechanical standpoint. maybe with two less cylinders and a transversely mounted engine.

Still not making much sense i'm afraid. :boggled:

The Carrera GT came from a still-born LMP project. It's engine and chassis were destined for a race car, but when that program got canned, they decided to transform it into a limited edition road car. The new NSX isn't.

what I was saying is the philosophy behind the original NSX and the carrera GT is similiar.

nvm, nothing important.

He's trying to get across that both are mid-rear and long bodied. If I'm understanding correctly, he believe's the Carrera GT to be what would/should have been the ballpark of the new NSX. He's comparing the original NSX not the concept I think.

I think he's trying to say that both the original NSX and the CGT are mid engine, naturally aspirated sports cars with conventional drivetrains. They are also both heavily driver focused cars that seemingly are tuned to provide balance rather than brute force. I agree with him.

With over 600 hp and a big 5.7 liter V10, I don't think the CGT was necessarily lacking in brute force. It was also supposedly razor sharp and twitchy as hell at the limit.

The classic NSX has more in common with the Lotus Elise/Exige. Made to be as user friendly as possible without sacrificing nimbleness or performance.

Which is why I don't buy into the idea that the new NSX "isn't a real NSX"... not until someone actually drives it. The NSX was more than just a lightweight supercar (In fact, that they felt the need to make an NSX Type R shows that they felt the regular NSX wasn't light enough), it was the culmination of a whole host of technologies and philosophies aimed at making it the best driver's car possible. The only way this new NSX will fail is if it's duff to drive.

A rendering of NSX Concept on HRE 792RS Wheels.
Acura-NSX-Concept.jpg

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/01/17/rendering-acura-nsx-concept-on-hre-792rs-wheels/

It looks better in blue then it does in silver.

^ Beat me to it, I actually liked that commercial and I agree, now I want one, its really grown on me. Oh skip to 1:41 for the best part ;)

Hmm, a little bit too angular for my personal liking. Reminds me of the Cadillac Sixteen concept.

It's not a bad looker, but it's not superb. I'll admit, I prefer the looks of old/older cars but this new NSX isn't so bad. Interesting to see how well the 4WD hybrid thing works out.

Do we know about prices yet?

I also feel insignificant because I've never head Acura pronounced with the stress on Ac;
Akk-ura. I'm an a-cure-a man.

Back