The NSX is making a return...

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,074 comments
This price tag is a joke. Im hearing anywhere between 32-150k!!!? Firstly, the C7 mid engine Vette will start out at 50k. Were talking about 400-500 HP, and serious accel. Who the hell would pay 150k for stock 300hp mid engine hybrid nsx! Either the specs are very wrong or the price tag is very wrong. This car sucks! I would be suprised if they even decide to release it at all.
I'll put money down right now the next Corvette isn't going to cost $50K at base price. It costs $49,600 right now & with the C7 undoubtedly going to have a bit more power than 430Bhp, that amongst other new features & tech. will drive the price up a bit.

I'd expect $55,000 at the absolute lowest.
The last NSX was around $100k....
It never got that high from the MSRP. Maybe from dealer markups.

It also didn't start out at $100,000, either.

Funny how he always drives a 4WD convertible with ~480hp...

Was the NSX in the Avengers movie a working concept model? or was it a shell with wheels?

In the original Iron Man movie he drove the coupe R8. Only because the convertible hadn't come out yet, I imagine.

And it was not a working concept model. It was essentially a shell over a 1991 NSX with 252,000 miles on it.

Article

In the original Iron Man movie he drove the coupe R8. Only because the convertible hadn't come out yet, I imagine.

And it was not a working concept model. It was essentially a shell over a 1991 NSX with 252,000 miles on it.

Article

Really? Would've thought from first glance that would've been impossible looking at its dimensions.

Wasn't the MSRP for the old NSX around $80,000?
In the mid 90's & beyond, yes. In 1991, it retailed for $60,600. Some people did manage to pay less. I believe 1995 was the car finally started to retail for $81,000.

Honda made a nice little profit off these cars.

In the mid 90's & beyond, yes. In 1991, it retailed for $60,600. Some people did manage to pay less. I believe 1995 was the car finally started to retail for $81,000.

Honda made a nice little profit off these cars.

Probably by the end of it's run, they did. But it's likely the first three to five years were at a loss. You don't finance development, tooling and exotic materials purchase (titanium suspension bits!) for a super car by selling small numbers at 60k...

Probably by the end of it's run, they did. But it's likely the first three to five years were at a loss. You don't finance development, tooling and exotic materials purchase (titanium suspension bits!) for a super car by selling small numbers at 60k...
I suppose I should have elaborated. Honda dealers made a nice little profit off these cars since many added as high as $10,000 & above mark-ups at the end of model years. Iirc, some 1991 models were marked up to $85K+.

'92 models went up a $1,000 & '93 ones were in the mid-$60's. By the mid-90's, you couldn't find one under $70,000 new. '97-'99, they were at $90K. That's a hefty price increase in less than 5-10 years for a car that didn't change too dramatically, so someone at the manufacturer knew they could make some more money off these cars.

Unless, that is, the folks at Honda are actually concerned about weight and drop in a stick.

The difference in weight between a manual and a good auto is reducing all the time. In small cars it's down to single figures in kilos, so can't believe there's proportionally much more difference in larger stuff.

A manual is theoretically possible in the NSX, since the hybrid aspect of the drivetrain is solely limited to the front wheels, and the engine drives the rear wheels. I'm sure they're electronically linked somehow but mechanically it shouldn't matter whether the gearbox is manual, dual-clutch, torque converter or CVT.

That said, I doubt they'll stick a manual in there. Simple fact of the matter is that the sort of people with the money to buy cars like that aren't that bothered about changing gear themselves if it doesn't involve using paddles.

And really, putting the right auto in there would be the best option for all but the most anally-retentive of manual gearbox buffs. You'd struggle to find anyone who genuinely believes the Nissan GT-R would be a better car with a regular stick shift, for example. A high-tech car demands a high-tech gearbox.

The difference in weight between a manual and a good auto is reducing all the time. In small cars it's down to single figures in kilos, so can't believe there's proportionally much more difference in larger stuff.

A manual is theoretically possible in the NSX, since the hybrid aspect of the drivetrain is solely limited to the front wheels, and the engine drives the rear wheels. I'm sure they're electronically linked somehow but mechanically it shouldn't matter whether the gearbox is manual, dual-clutch, torque converter or CVT.

That said, I doubt they'll stick a manual in there. Simple fact of the matter is that the sort of people with the money to buy cars like that aren't that bothered about changing gear themselves if it doesn't involve using paddles.

And really, putting the right auto in there would be the best option for all but the most anally-retentive of manual gearbox buffs. You'd struggle to find anyone who genuinely believes the Nissan GT-R would be a better car with a regular stick shift, for example. A high-tech car demands a high-tech gearbox.

I guess us stick shift drivers are dying breed.

I guess us stick shift drivers are dying breed.

In the U.S, they've never not been. Though sales of manuals are actually going up in the U.S. at the moment, albeit on lower-end cars.

On high-end cars it's perfectly understandable though. Firstly, if you've got a car crammed to the eyeballs with technology then operating a mechanical stick in the middle of the car in order to move along is a bit archaic. The fact that most autos are now pretty damn good makes the good ol' stick shift look even more old-hat.

The other thing is that it makes these hugely quick modern cars a lot easier to drive. Cars in the old days weren't less powerful solely because they didn't have the technology (they were getting 1,200bhp out of 1.5-litre turbocharged F1 cars back in the 1980s - engineers knew how to do power!), they were less powerful because with no traction control, ABS, lightning-quick auto transmissions and all the rest they'd have been impossible to drive.

The same applies today really. When I was a kid I idolised the Ferrari F40, as probably many people my age did when they were kids. It was the absolute pinnacle of cars, and it had 471bhp.

A few months back, I drove not one, but three Jaguars that had more power. I never saw that coming when I was a kid. One had 80bhp more. And despite this, they were ludicrously easy to drive, and pretty easy to drive quickly too. In the space of 20 years you can buy a car with significantly more power than the fastest car of the 1980s, that's easier to drive than a shopping car of the 1980s.

But if you took away the stability control, traction control, ABS, brakeforce distribution, and gave them a regular manual gearbox with a hefty clutch to operate, I bet they'd be a damn sight harder to drive. And probably a lot less enjoyable as a result.

The same thing now applies to stuff like the next NSX - while I'm sure there are one or two people out there who'd like it with a manual gearbox, the vast majority of buyers will be perfectly happy with whatever they give it. And frankly, it'll probably be a better car than it ever would with a manual.

I guess what I'm saying is that not having a stick shift isn't really something to moan about. And it may even be something to celebrate.

Many people I come in contact with around the United States have no interest whatsoever in driving manual. There's a few, but I can understand why only roughly 5% of all sales are stick; generally, the philosophy of most drivers is that if the car makes enough power, they don't care. I will say the proliferation of manumatic/clutchless shifting does make driving a lot more enjoyable than a straight PRNDL range of selections, but just not the same as moving the lever and pedals yourself.

Face it, automakers want to cater to as many buyers as possible, and something that's a hybrid powertrain benefits - in terms of fuel economy - much more from a continuously variable set of ratios in the 'box.

I never really saw it like that Homeforsummer.

But I agree that having a stick in a car over 100,000 grand kind of throws a wrench into car's equation.

If only manufacturers offered a dual clutch where it's operated by a stick (Like old school sequentials) and not via the traditional paddle shifters.

but just not the same as moving the lever and pedals yourself.

Agree in some vehicles, but disagree with others. I enjoy driving manual vehicles, but there are some cars that I'd not touch with a bargepole if they were manual. Any SUV, any luxury sedan... and any modern supercar. That said, there are others which I'd not go anywhere near an auto. Anything with an MX5 badge on it, to name just one.

If only manufacturers offered a dual clutch where it's operated by a stick (Like old school sequentials) and not via the traditional paddle shifters.

Many do. If anything, more autos (twin clutch or otherwise) let you change with the stick rather than with paddles. Though they often get the up and down shifts the wrong way around. I prefer pulling back to shift up, pushing forwards to change down. Many are the other way around...

I think it depends. Like on my Mustang, for example, I would only want a manual. Mainly because the auto option is just a run-of-the-mill automatic. No paddle shifters or anything like that, just a straight automatic. But if I were getting say... a Porsche. I haven't driven a Porsche with the PDK but i've heard nothing but good things about it. I've driven two Porsches, a Cayman and a Turbo, that had manual gearboxes and I even though i've never driven one with it I'd probably prefer the PDK. But i'm sure the next NSX will have a pretty fancy gearbox.

Audi posted a tweet about the NSX today, concerning the past Iron man movie.

"It's ironic then that Tony Stark gave up this - http://twitpic.com/a1wtre - for vaporware. #WantAnR8"

Look's like they're still salty that they were replaced or are starting up a battle no one was expecting.

Nish_280z
Audi posted a tweet about the NSX today, concerning the past Iron man movie.

"It's ironic then that Tony Stark gave up this - http://twitpic.com/a1wtre - for vaporware. #WantAnR8"

Look's like they're still salty that they were replaced or are starting up a battle no one was expecting.

Lol. This is funny. I would take the NSX in a heartbeat anyway.

Well there's a big rumor about Honda going all in on a serious LMP1 effort, maybe they're afraid... Afterall unlike Toyota Honda is serious on their motorsports efforts...
;-)

Back