The NSX is making a return...

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,074 comments
• and VTEC. - Old tech - hybrid is the new vtec

Hmmm...

hybrid.jpg

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

I don't see why everyone is set on not saving money at the pump, I get the it costs alot to replace the batteries but that doesn't seem to be most peoples grippe with it. The big problem I'm seeing is, oh no that's the new tech used for small cars built for green tree loving people... The way I see it is a power enhancer and has the added bonus of making your fuel run further. I don't see a problem with it being fwd at low speeds and not using your fuel (how much is it affecting you at city speeds?) and when you decide to kick it up a notch BAM you have your extra power and growl to go with your foots aggression.

People are complaining about it's soul is lost without knowing any of it's features or characteristics. Do we know that you can't turn off the hybrid front drive? or possibly even just engage the engine at the drivers desire? We also don't know it's performance, though I'm sure it will be very good seeing as they are already prepping it for life on the track. The NSX was made to be a amazing performer with top of the line technology, auto tech has advanced alot in 22 years :).

Last edited:
The big problem I'm seeing is, oh no that's the new tech used for small cars built for green tree loving people... The way I see it is a power enhancer and has the added bonus of making your fuel run further.

This.

Hybrid tech doesn't make the NSX less exciting, the NSX makes hybrid tech more exciting...

WOW. Lots of 'american bias' in this thread lately:

👎👎 If you think that the 'old' NSX was just an overpriced japanese car then you need to open your mind a little. I guess you guys think the KPGC10 Skyline is just an old Datsun :crazy: But I guess in the land of "I need a 25-ton dually pickup to get my large butt to McDonalds", anything without a V8 is just some disposable car to you guys huh?

I'm British.

The KPGC10 Skyline is just an old Datsun. Apart from inspiring futher generations of GT-R's, i don't see what other impact it had on the world car scene.

The NSX was a product of Honda's involvement in F1 and its success as the dominant engine of choice in the late '80s. They combined that with Senna's input regarding the overall handling and suspension dynamics. For a mainstream manufacturer to be able to create a car like this was just unheard of. Gordon Murray used it as the inspiration for his much-loved McLaren F1 (which I'm sure you're all aware of...it is British :rolleyes:).

Motorsport technology and know-how filtering down into road cars is nothing new. Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus, Renault, Lancia, Audi etc have been at it for decades - probably Honda too. The NSX was hardly a game-changer in that respect.

What the NSX did change was a move towards using aluminium monocoque chassis as a viable construction method for production-volume road cars, and an everyday usability that supercars never had before that - although Porsche might have a thing or two to say about that last point.

I think some people need to reel-in their JDM fanboy necks a little.

I also feel that the Senna connection is vastly overplayed. While his input would have indeed been valuable, it wouldn't be any more valuable than input from a full-time test-driver.

And the F1 involvement? You could easier draw a line between Honda's straight fours and F1 than the NSX's V6 and F1. That was pure marketing hype.... just like all "F1 technology" in road cars, as with the M5 V10 or any number of Ferarris.

I think the biggest thing, besides the extensive use of aluminum, that the NSX brought forward was user-friendliness. That's the thing that the NSX brought to the table that had manufacturers like Ferrari sitting up to take notice of.

Which all goes back to TheCracker's comment. The NSX was a landmark simply because it was a supercar your grandma could drive. It made supercars user-friendly. And that's a good thing.

I also feel that the Senna connection is vastly overplayed. While his input would have indeed been valuable, it wouldn't be any more valuable than input from a full-time test-driver.

^ This for sure. I'd be somewhat annoyed if i was a Honda development driver or engineer. Senna probably spent a couple of afternoons hooning an almost production ready development mule around a test track. Like you say, no doubt his input was valuable, but it would have been the fairy on top of the xmas tree. Those engineers will have spent months, if not years, moulding it into the car it became, yet some overpaid F1 driver gets given the credit. :rolleyes:

I don't believe professional racing drivers are the best choice for chassis developments anyhow. A racing car is a very different beast to even a supercar.

Last edited:
From the April issue of Motortrend....

2015 Acura NSX
Base Price: $130,000
Vehicle Layout: Mid-Engine, AWD, 2 Passenger, 2 Door Coupe
Engine: 3.7L DOHC 24V VTEC V6 + 2 Front and 1 Rear Electric Motors - 480hp Combined
Transmission: 7-Speed Twin Clutch Automatic
Curb Weight: 3100 lbs.
0-60: 3.0 Seconds
Wheelbase: 101.4 in.
Length/Width/Height: 170.5 in. x 74.6 in. x 45.7 in.

We'll see how much, if any, of these specs become reality.
9uls11.png

Last edited:
That price will have to go down a bit if Honda plans on having it compete against the GT-R, or even the Corvette ZR1 for that matter, price wise. Unless it's notably superior to both. Only time will tell.

Edit: Re-thought of my post. My logic sucks.

Last edited:
Lighter would be possible, if you could put up with a much higher price. Say, carbon fiber frame, exotic F1-spec electric motors...

1,410 kilos is pretty light for a 3.7 liter car with three hybrid motors... And about three hundred kilos less than a GTR.

This won't be competing against the GTR, though. It will be competing against the likes of the R8.

The NSX's weight is actually pretty impressive compared to other sports cars around its price range. Cars each generation tend to get heavier.

The NSX's weight is actually pretty impressive compared to other sports cars around its price range. Cars each generation tend to get heavier.

It's relatively impressive, yes, maybe. However, a sports car (in my opinion) should never be more than 2700/2800lbs.

It's relatively impressive, yes, maybe. However, a sports car (in my opinion) should never be more than 2700/2800lbs.

Of course, you've got not one but two exceptions to that rule and both work just fine ;)

Don't you mean there are only two production sports cars (that aren't ultra-expensive space-frames, tube-frames or carbon-fiber) that actually meet that criteria? :lol:

The 3,100 lbs isn't the concept weight, mind... it's the target weight. If they can actually hit that target weight with a roll-over compliant roof, a 3.7 liter six, three electric motors and the capacitor/battery bank needed to power all those motors... I'll be rightly impressed.

The KPGC10 Skyline is just an old Datsun. Apart from inspiring futher generations of GT-R's, i don't see what other impact it had on the world car scene.

You clearly don't. Prime example of "they just don't get it". If you think that the KPGC10 Skyline just inspired future generations of GT-R's you're clearly missing out...but that's for another thread.

I think some people need to reel-in their JDM fanboy necks a little.

Hmmm...somehow I don't see you calling me a British (BDM?) fanboy if I talked about a McLaren or Jaguar that way...👎

Those engineers will have spent months, if not years, moulding it into the car it became, yet some overpaid F1 driver gets given the credit. :rolleyes:

Of course most of the credit goes to the Honda engineers. I simply stated he had input. Nowhere in my statement did I mention that he built the car by himself. 👎

Please, regale me with what makes the KPGC10 Skyline so special?

Of course most of the credit goes to the Honda engineers. I simply stated he had input. Nowhere in my statement did I mention that he built the car by himself. 👎

i wasn't inferring that you were making out that Senna was solely responsible for the NSX, i was just saying that the part he played in it gets very overstated. It's almost as if the car can't be mentioned without Senna being brought up.

The whole Senna thing was Honda's marketing men doing their work. Having THE world champ f1 driver certainly would help push a discount supercar.

This price tag is a joke. Im hearing anywhere between 32-150k!!!? Firstly, the C7 mid engine Vette will start out at 50k. Were talking about 400-500 HP, and serious accel. Who the hell would pay 150k for stock 300hp mid engine hybrid nsx! Either the specs are very wrong or the price tag is very wrong. This car sucks! I would be suprised if they even decide to release it at all.

This price tag is a joke. Im hearing anywhere between 32-150k!!!? Firstly, the C7 mid engine Vette will start out at 50k. Were talking about 400-500 HP, and serious accel. Who the hell would pay 150k for stock 300hp mid engine hybrid nsx! Either the specs are very wrong or the price tag is very wrong. This car sucks! I would be suprised if they even decide to release it at all.

Not sure where you're getting your figures from, but the scanned magazine article on the previous page states 480hp.

You can't really compare the cost of a Vette to the NSX. A domestic car is always going to undercut an imported rival.

Three things:

1) Really? This is how you choose to introduce yourself to GTP?

2) Oh, wow! Another "this import doesn't offer the bang/buck of domestic muscle" side to the argument. We definitely need more of those! Oh no, wait, we don't. If bang/buck was the sole criteria for choosing new cars then the U.S. auto industry wouldn't have nearly imploded a few years back.

3) "This car sucks" - funny how often those words are uttered by people who a) know very little about the subject they're discussing and b) are uttered of a car that doesn't actually exist in production form yet.

You clearly don't. Prime example of "they just don't get it". If you think that the KPGC10 Skyline just inspired future generations of GT-R's you're clearly missing out...but that's for another thread.

The KPGC10 Skyline really didn't have much impact on the wider automotive world beyond it being the predecessor to cars that did. Unless you're privy to some information we aren't, or have evidence of massive worldwide sales figures that we're unaware of.

This price tag is a joke. Im hearing anywhere between 32-150k!!!?
The NSX is estimated price is $130,000, it may seem high but that is cause a the hybrid technology that went in to the car.

Firstly, the C7 mid engine Vette will start out at 50k. Were talking about 400-500 HP, and .
The C7 is not going to be a mid-engine that has been a rumor for all gen. Vettes and it never happened or will happen.

$50k is the rumored price for the base C7 and that will not have 400-500hp

Who the hell would pay 150k for stock 300hp mid engine hybrid nsx!
The NSX is at about 480hp.

Either the specs are very wrong or the price tag is very wrong. This car sucks! I would be suprised if they even decide to release it at all.
Or you have all your facts on the car wrong.

The last NSX was around $100k....

Really? This is how you choose to introduce yourself to GTP?

I smell Troll.

Exactly where the hell did you get this info? There won't be a Mid-engine C7.

There's been rumors for quite some time. Not gonna happen though.

Back