The Parity Club - Interest Check and TestingFinished 

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,011 comments
United States
Indianapolis
BrandonW77
The Parity Club Banner2.png

Back in the GT5 days I used to enjoy some epically close racing with DeadNutsEven Parity Racing and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in reviving this format of racing? The WRS had a go with parity racing as well but it seems to have died off. Some friends and I have been testing with the parity method used by both these groups and have been having some good times. If there is interest, I'm thinking of putting something formal together featuring weekly parity racing.

For those who don't know, parity racing is where everyone "tunes" their car to a pre-determined lap time and top speed so everyone on the grid is dead even on pace and the racing comes down to racecraft instead of all out speed. This does require a little prep-work as it is very important that everyone shows up with a car already dialed into the targets, you can't really just show up and race. But most of the time all that's needed is the addition/removal of power and/or weight, you don't need any extensive tuning knowledge (I am complete rubbish at tuning and even I can manage to get cars on target fairly easily). All you really need to know is more power/less weight = faster and less power/more weight = slower. If you enjoy tuning than you can tinker and tune all you want, but if you're like me and avoid the tuning screen like it's your psycho ex-girlfriend then very little tinkering is needed.

We have been sticking to the exact formula used by the two groups above. I will set a lap time and top speed limit (your speed at the end of the front stretch) on a particular track, as well as an approved class of cars. Everyone picks a car (or cars) they want to race and gets it "tuned" to meet those criteria and then we go racing. We will also be using the two tire rule where two compounds will be available (SH and SM for example). One benefit of this, you can decrease your lap time and lower your top speed just by switching tires (a softer compound will increase your cornering speed which will lower your lap time, but you'll need to reduce power a bit to stay on target time which will lower your ultimate top speed as well). This also makes it easier for a wide range of talent to get on pace quickly (slower guys can toss the softer compound on and be fairly close to the faster guys on the harder compound). You can stick with the same car for the whole night/week or you can have a different car each race (depending on how much time/desire you have for prep).

I will also try to divide things into classes of cars to make the selection process easier and to help keep the cars fairly close in performance and appearance (we all like a nice looking grid!). Here are the basic classes I've come up with so far, these may be adjusted as we find necessary but it's something easy to get us started and everyone should have something in their garage that fits the bill.

High Power Street RWD (any FR, MR, or RR street car 1989 or newer, recommend over 475pp when in stock form)
Low Power Street RWD (any FR, MR, or RR street car 1989 or newer, recommend under 475pp when in stock form)
High Power Race RWD (any FR, MR, or RR race car 1989 or newer, recommend over 475pp when in stock form)
Low Power Race RWD (any FR, MR, or RR race car 1989 or newer, recommend under 475pp when in stock form)

Street FF (any FF street car 1989 or newer)
Race FF (any FF race car 1989 or newer)
(I don't think there's enough range in FF cars to have high and low power categories, but I could be wrong)

Street AWD (any AWD street car 1989 or newer)
Race AWD (any AWD race car 1989 or newer)
(I don't think there's enough range in AWD cars to have high and low power categories, but I could be wrong)

High Power Vintage Street (any street car pre-1989, recommend over 450pp when in stock form)
Low Power Vintage Street (any street car pre-1989, recommend under 450pp when in stock form)
(I think we can probably mix all drivetrains with the vintage cars, most are going to be rwd of some fashion. But if they need split out by drivetrains we can do that. With mixed drivetrains like this we'd probably do a mini rolling start to minimize differences off the line)

High Power Vintage Race (any race car pre-1989, recommend over 450pp when in stock form)
Low Power Vintage Race (any race car pre-1989, recommend under 450pp when in stock form)

The PP ratings listed are just a guideline to help you look in the right area of your garage. If you want to take a 500pp car and dial it back to run with the low power street rwd cars you're more than welcome to as long as it meets the targets. But you're going to have a hard time getting a 650pp car dialed back that far, or a 375pp car tuned up enough to run with a 650pp car.

To start with I'm going to ask that everyone try to use Premium cars so we can put the number plates on them and look like a proper racing grid. I'm also going to ask that we refrain from putting big ass wings on the cars, only because I think the grid looks silly when some cars have big wings and some don't. All other aero bits and mods are allowed. Right now we're just doing some informal testing/racing but if the interest is there we can make it a regular thing every week. So, if you're interested, send me a FR on PSN @ BrandonW77.

Right now I'm looking at Tuesday evenings at 7:30pm EDT and Sunday afternoons at 3:30pm EDT for our racing days, we can race on both days to fit varying schedules. If you're available both days, you can race both days, but the room will be a first-come-first-served basis so get their early! The room will be open at least a half hour prior to those times so people can practice and get their cars dialed in. I will reset the track 15 minutes prior to the start time and this will be considered qualifying, make any final adjustments to your car and once you've set a time that you're happy with please park your car at a safe place on the track or drive into the pits (do not hit START to go the pits as this will cause your time to be erased, drive into the pits and press the pause button to hold your car their) and wait for the race to start.

To start with we will do two 10 minute races that everyone can use to make sure their car is on target and to get used to driving in the pack. After those two races we will up it to 20-25 minutes for a grand parity battle. The first race starting order will be determined by qualifying, all races that follow will be reverse grid. We will use false starts, real grip, weak slipstream, normal tire wear, light damage, no penalties/boost, mics disabled, high race quality.

So what say you, GTP? Are you ready for some Parity Racing?

Reserved Car Numbers:

BrandonW77/BrandonW77: #77
hobbsy/nemesis-reaper: #79
amarynceos/amarynceos: #42
Drex124/Drex125: #46
GranTurismo916/atongo619: #91
Kingklingeling/Kingklingeling: #32
torzilla/torzilla: #13
LongBowX/LongBowX: #55
iainoflo85/GTP_iainoflo85: #85
daddyo845/daddy-0845: #98
RDAardvark/RDAardvark: #70
cu3e/beargele: #33
Sjaak/GTP_Sjaak: #22
kapnk006/GTP_Xiamoto: #88
Acedition333/Acedition333: #34
bobph/bobph: #31
suspension/SHAKOYM-JP: #58

Last edited:
Car Selection and Targets

Vintage Race Cars (pre 1980), premium or standard, SM/SS. Silverstone GP: 2:13 145mph/233kmh at the end of the second (Wellington) straight.
You must not drop below the target time, aim for your lap average to be 2-3 tenths over target to allow a margin of error. If you drop under the target time please jump out and make adjustments to your car as necessary.

Race Format: 1 10 minute race, 1 15 minute race, and a 20 minute race (Second two with reverse grid)

Rules:
1. Drive as clean and respectful as possible. Try to avoid contact with fellow racers.
2. No hitting, ramming or corner cutting allowed.
3. Accidents do happen. If you knock someone off course you should slow and allow them to regain their position.
4. If there is any doubt as to whether you will be able to cleanly pull off a pass, wait till another corner.
5. NO DIVE-BOMBING (to the inside OR outside)
6. Bump drafting amongst the lead two cars is discouraged. Drivers should make the pass when possible and NOT work as a team to open a gap on the field. Make your pass and let the cards fall where they may. This ensures the drivers further back have a chance to catch up to the leaders if they should make a mistake. Drivers further back in the field are free to bump draft to catch up to the lead cars.
7. Drivers are expected to keep at least 2 wheels on the track/curbs at all times.
8. Blocking is not permitted. You get one move to choose your line and then you must hold it. You can not swerve back to your original line.
9. Rage quitting is frowned upon
10. Please keep chat box and mic chatter to a minimum during qualifying and racing.
11. And of course please follow the GTPlanet Online Rules and The Good Racecraft Guide.

Penalties:
I am not here to penalize people for driving hard or driving passionately. I understand that while we all try our hardest to race cleanly, none of us are perfect, especially in the heat of the moment. That being said, I also expect everyone to learn from their mistakes and I'll do everything I can to help drivers improve their racecraft. If any driver shows repeated instances of gross negligence or overly aggressive driving I reserve the right to disqualify them from the event or the entire club. Any contact or incident that is deemed to have been intentional will likely result in immediate disqualification from any future events.

Room Settings:
Real Grip, Weak Slipstream, Normal Tire Wear, Light Damage, No Visual Damage, No Penalties, No Boost, Grid Start with False Starts, Fastest First for first race and Reverse Grid for all following races, No Nitrous, No Aids except ABS.

Last edited:
Edit: I'd like to reserve the number 79 for my car (where possible)

Good thinking, I've added a space to the OP for reserved car numbers. Hopefully we can stick to Premium cars (for now) so we can all have nice, shiny number plates. When we race vintage cars we probably won't use the number plates since a lot of the vintage cars will be standards. I'll clarify that when we get to that situation. 👍

Nice series! I would like to race with you guys sometime. I can't race right now because of my PS3. But when my PS3 is fixed, I'll give a go.

Reserve me an number 96, please. PSN nick is below of my avatar.

Nice series! I would like to race with you guys sometime. I can't race right now because of my PS3. But when my PS3 is fixed, I'll give a go.

Reserve me an number 96, please. PSN nick is below of my avatar.

Done. Hope you can join us soon, parity racing is the most intense and fun racing you can find!

7:30 PM EDT + 5:00 GMT= 12:30 GMT... Oh no! Too late for me... :(

Maybe I could try in Sundays simply because Tuesday races is too late for me...

Can I reserve number 46? Likely wont be there every time since it's right after another series, but i'd love to drop in from time to time.

👍

Claiming my #42.

Also, pretty sure in post #2 you meant to type 'under 475' and not 'over 475.' ;)

Fixed, thanks.

Great to see some interest. About 6-10 of us have been doing some initial testing over the last couple weeks and it's been really fun.

For anyone that hadn't done parity racing before, please give the OP's of the two threads I linked to in this OP a read to get a really good idea of what parity racing is all about. Obviously this relies heavily on the honor system and it's up to each driver to make sure you're prepared for each race. The goal isn't so much to make sure everyone is running the same exact time lap after lap, but more to get the entire grid consistently within a few tenths of each other which results in some truly intense racing.

Anyone has a chance to win with this format and you'll often find yourself racing with guys you're not used to going door-to-door with. And you can race however a you want to, tuned or stock, paddle shifter or h-shifter, ABS or no ABS, and everyone will be on the same level playing field. 👍

Definitely the most fun to be had in GT6 right now. In for Saturdays, as #55.

@BrandonW77 Are we racing today? If we are, I could make a rare Tuesday appearance.

It will be Sundays but there will probably be some Saturday racing too. We won't start until next Tuesday officially (I'll be out of town this weekend) but I might have a practice session tomorrow or Thursday.

Very Interested. Will usually make tuesdays, sundays not possible.
I'm in. Number 7 if not already taken. Cortez silver metallic too by the way...
PS: After a bit of thought, one question, Two or three tenths are enough to make up for drafting? Or the lap time limit can be exceeded during races?

The lap time limit can be exceeded if you're in the draft. Your best lap alone, without draft, shouldn't ever dip below 1:42. I've been trying to average a :42.1-:42.2 just in case I happen to find an extra tenth or two. 👍

Oh I am so in! #98 I can definetely make Sundays and maybe Tuesdays but from what I can see, this club is generating a lot of interest so I can bow out of Tuesdays if there is not enough room.

Oh I am so in! #98 I can definetely make Sundays and maybe Tuesdays but from what I can see, this club is generating a lot of interest so I can bow out of Tuesdays if there is not enough room.

It's not quite a club yet, I just wanted to gauge interest and organize some test races. Seems like there's enough interest to get some good test races going so we'll do that next Tuesday (week from today). I'll try to have a practice room open Thursday around 7pm EDT. Hopefully that's enough time for people to get a car (or cars) dialed in. 👍

Here are the Premium cars to choose from. Thanks to @hobbsy for the slick data.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/111L7dkaJeMC0QISG7YDiycWMcUv66_IiM9kzLyno_Y0/edit?usp=sharing

I cannot take credit alone for this spreadsheet as my source data was from here.

http://www.gtdata.net/

There are links still attached to the car names in my spreadsheet, so if you select them it should bring up the individual car file.

Check it out guys it's very well put together and a powerful tool.

Back