The Parity Club - Interest Check and TestingFinished 

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,011 comments
You can adjust the brake Bias so you're not fish-tailing into corners! But even still its all part of the challenge ;)

However, i'm not sure if the real life car has ABS (guessing not but don't know for certain either way).

For those of you not involved with Brandon's previous race series, the challenge was inspired by this (as also posted in the Ferrari Festival), so thanks go to Mr @BrandonW77 for this new addiction.

Watching the amount of slip he gets from the tyres led me to opt for the Comfort range.

^ It's pretty cool how similar my steering inputs are to the video, and he even drifts in a lot of the places I was drifting. It took me at least a full lap to come to grip with the CM tires (pun intended), I eventually got decent control but it's still quite a handful with the back constantly on the slip. I turned the brake bias down to 4/2 and found that to be manageable, I thought I'd have more problems without abs but the only times I lock them up is when the car gets airborne or light on the suspension. I'm going to have to do a video with that same view so you can see my hands in action as I wrangle the beast, it's quite a show!

@BrandonW77, you got that H-Shifter and clutch working yet? :sly:

On last sunday night I had tuned the Evora to accommodate using the manual shifter, and all was going well. My best time in practise was probably around .2/.3 secs of the target time... put me in the race however, a different story!

First off, I immediately incurred a penalty due to False start (all my fault as I had forgotten this can happen) when using the manual shift.
Now add in a some missed gears, and its surprising just how quickly you get closed down, then you become a potential crash inducing obstacle with no indication to those behind! Then you (I) get distracted from the cars closing behind, checking you get it back in gear, missing the braking point, over shooting the corner, screwing up your exit, reintroducing yourself as a slow moving obstacle, looking for another missed gear again, checking the mirror, looking for a gear... GET IN YOU DAMN GEAR!!!
So far I have found the manual shifter enjoyable, but not very rewarding when used in actual racing...

So for those of you unlucky enough to have been behind the #79 White Evora. Sorry :embarrassed:

^ It's pretty cool how similar my steering inputs are to the video, and he even drifts in a lot of the places I was drifting. It took me at least a full lap to come to grip with the CM tires (pun intended), I eventually got decent control but it's still quite a handful with the back constantly on the slip. I turned the brake bias down to 4/2 and found that to be manageable, I thought I'd have more problems without abs but the only times I lock them up is when the car gets airborne or light on the suspension. I'm going to have to do a video with that same view so you can see my hands in action as I wrangle the beast, it's quite a show!

Do you feel like you have had a workout afterwards?

Oh and I forgot to add, you have to use the cockpit view :sly:

You keep changing the rules on me! I did it offline with bumper/whateveritscalled view. Going online and using cockpit view will probably add 10-15 seconds to my time. And no, I haven't messed with the clutch/h-shifter yet, I wanted to get a feel for things before I threw in that variable. With the sequential shifter it's very enjoyable, I'm sure it will be miserable with the clutch/h-shifter.

As for your other story, that's one of the reasons I never use the clutch/h-shifter for competitive racing, it's slow and clumsy so it ruins your consistency and can make you a rolling chicane. That's why I've never even bothered to hook it up since I got it in January.

I just tried @hobbsy 's challenge and well , it's exhausting :sly:
I was able to turn the shifter a bit less noisy and I'm triing right now to tame the beast:lol:
got my gopro installed on my rig , If someones interrested , I could probably upload it to youtube ,although it will be no alien lap :sly:

^I'd love to see that. I know my hands put on quite a show trying to wrangle the Yellowbird, makes me feel like a boss! I don't have a gopro but I'll try to rig the AyePad up to catch the action.

alrighty then , I'll do my best to get at least 1 legit round,
after 4 laps my arms were like this ....
image.jpg

Yes @KingKlingeling and @BrandonW77, would very much like to see the action cam replay of your attempts at recreating this hotlap of the ring... I'll try and do the same next time I visit nurburg.

I certainly feel the burn after the 2nd lap :scared:
I think next time I'll be using the bigger rim to smooth it out more.

And yes, sorry for "upping" the challenge, but it's got to be as close to the real thing as we can make it ;)

Good luck.

Yes @KingKlingeling and @BrandonW77, would very much like to see the action cam replay of your attempts at recreating this hotlap of the ring... I'll try and do the same next time I visit nurburg.

I certainly feel the burn after the 2nd lap :scared:
I think next time I'll be using the bigger rim to smooth it out more.

And yes, sorry for "upping" the challenge, but it's got to be as close to the real thing as we can make it ;)

Good luck.

Well, I guess the question is: is offline or online more realistic? I can't say one way or the other, but I do nearly 100% of my driving online (not because it's more realistic but because that's the environment I'll be competing in).

Methinks maybe @hobbsy needs to create a thread for the Yellowbird challenge, complete with leaderboard!

Yes @KingKlingeling and @BrandonW77, would very much like to see the action cam replay of your attempts...

:Dattempts , yes , only attempts for today , wife just came home and forced me to quit playing with the H-shifter and without headset :mad:

Here's a spoiler how the POV in the video will be like, which will be uploaded hopefully tomorrow :cheers:
on youtube it will be 1080p of course :sly:

image.jpg

YES Mr @KingKlingeling! you naughty boy... :P

To avoid the further unintentional distraction/takeover of this thread, There will be a special thread (along with many others no doubt) for the Yellowbird Challenge soon :cheers:. Hopefully in time for the on-boards to be posted too ;)

Laters Guys

YES Mr @KingKlingeling! you naughty boy... :P

To avoid the further unintentional distraction/takeover of this thread, There will be a special thread (along with many others no doubt) for the Yellowbird Challenge soon :cheers:. Hopefully in time for the on-boards to be posted too ;)

Laters Guys

For the record, I don't mind the thread being cluttered with this kind of fun stuff. But this seemed like a good enough thing to have it's own Time Trial thread where everyone can post their times and have fun. I plan on spending a bit of time on it and hopefully getting a proper 8:05. :cheers:

Just to be clear, the parameters are: CM tires, no aids (including no abs), online, cockpit view, grip real, h-shifter and clutch? What about tire wear? Is the map considered an aid? I'm going to have a crack at it when I get home.

Also, I've made some updates to the OP, mostly in post 2, hopefully things are a bit more clear now. I've changed the wording for car selection since that seemed to be causing confusion, so it now says "recommend a car under 475pp when in stock form, but any premium car can be used". @KingKlingeling I've also added my list of rules so everyone knows what kind of conduct is expected. 👍

Last edited:
I had planned to make a thread some time ago (when you first posted video) i'm just too lazy ah-hmm, Busy to find the time. Much like the other plans I have/had about Events, challenges or random ideas.. (CBR :sly:). I know you have said in the past you don't mind, but i do feel a little guilty when the off-topic topic gets multiple posts.

Also yes, the parameters are pretty much correct, tyre wear would be low to preserve some life (so normal i guess). I think of the track map as an Unrealistic aid/distraction, it helps you keep track of the track! and you would not see this in real life (in the Ruf anyway). I personally find it distraction as well. I feel the same about the tyre indicators, but we cannot have this separate from the other Gauges. C'est la Vie.

👍

I learned to turn the map off back in GT5, occasionally I turn it on for something and forget to turn it off and realize how much of a distraction it is. The tire indicators don't bother me much but it does seem that I always pick a very in opportune time to look at them and then end up missing a braking point. :dunce:

Excellent first outing. Even with a small crowd, there was never a dearth of action (unless one crashed like I did in one race and fell so far back I couldn't catch up :dunce:). Really demands a lot of the little grey cells, one has to be constantly analyzing and strategizing in order to successfully attack or defend. Awesome!

Like you said, it's the closest thing I've experienced in GT to the real world racing I watch every week. It's very mentally challenging, and physically if you have a wheel. I had to be on my toes and thinking ahead every second of every lap.

Great racing guys. :cheers:

How did everyone's cars feel? Seem to me like everyone was fairly even. There were minor differences in power/nimbleness but nothing that seemed unfair (that I saw), and to me that's part of the fun.

On the last race, when i fell way back, I got 2 great laps which led me under the the target time. I got 1:41.7xx. But I was in the zone and hit every corner with awesomeness.:bowdown: I wish I could do that consistently. But my average was in 1:42's. Some worse.:ouch:

Overall it was great fun racing.
👍👍

It's not going to be uncommon to have a lap that dips a tenth or two under the target during the race even when you're alone. When you're racing it gets the adrenaline pumping which can give you a slight bit of performance that you can't otherwise harness. That's why I say to aim for your average to be a couple tenths over the target because we will all perform slightly better in race conditions. So I'm not going to be too bothered if someone dips a tenth or two under every once in a while as long as your solo laps are on target and it doesn't happen lap after lap. 👍

Except my disastrous start, that was great racing guys. Close, intense, clean. Let's hope it's just a preview of even better racing.
Regarding cars, I seemed to have gone on a different path than you guys to get to 1:42. My car felt faster than most during corners, but got smoked at straights. Maybe its better to keep the car heavy and use more power. Probably too much on the safe side too: It would have taken a miracle lap with heavy drafting to get me below target time today. Best was 1'42:500, 208 kph. I think the best way to be sure will be having cars with both approaches ready before the race if at all possible. And learn a thing or two about setups :lol:

It's not going to be uncommon to have a lap that dips a tenth or two under the target during the race even when you're alone. When you're racing it gets the adrenaline pumping which can give you a slight bit of performance that you can't otherwise harness.

Sorry for the double post but forgot to add this. A bit of that adrenaline can be found when doing time trials by not restarting, and running 20-30 laps on one go. Sometimes you start to get a feeling for the flow of the track that's not found until you are completely oblivious to the rest of the world but the track and the car. Great feeling I might add...

I found out this for myself @roamer2629 when we were doing this parity racing before this thread was created. It is very important to get both the lap time and top speed right. This is why unless your car is already plenty fast on the straights but slow in the corners you should use sh tires because with sm you can reduce your time down to the desired time by increasing your cornering speed but still being too slow on the straights.

How did everyone's cars feel? Seem to me like everyone was fairly even. There were minor differences in power/nimbleness but nothing that seemed unfair (that I saw), and to me that's part of the fun.
Considering the Mustang I chose to use was tuned to the extreme I found it a fun battle with your S2000.

My Miata felt fantastic; I think I've got my suspension set up almost perfect for my driving, and the gears are great too. It has pretty good acceleration, especially off the line. The only thing that I might tweak is that I'd like about 1mph more on the straight, so I might pour a little more cement in the boot so that I can run a few more ponies. I was only getting 133 in the draft, even tucked up as close as I could get to Brandon's Clio. :irked: :lol:

Back