The Parity Club - Interest Check and TestingFinished 

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,011 comments
^ Marvelous write-up, you win 1,000,000 Internets for the day. And to my understanding, you're spot on. It was with the Ferrari's that I figured it out too and was able to drop my lap time by nearly a full second just from that turn (because you're at full throttle sooner it pays large dividends at the end of the long straight).

The downside is that a driver behind you may think you've gone wide and will try to dive to the inside right when you're turning your car in. I've turned in to many a door in that turn as I start to aim for the clipping point.

^ Marvelous write-up, you win 1,000,000 Internets for the day. And to my understanding, you're spot on. It was with the Ferrari's that I figured it out too and was able to drop my lap time by nearly a full second just from that turn (because you're at full throttle sooner it pays large dividends at the end of the long straight).

The downside is that a driver behind you may think you've gone wide and will try to dive to the inside right when you're turning your car in. I've turned in to many a door in that turn as I start to aim for the clipping point.

The sweetspot for overtaking should be the chicane after the back straight, much safer for both drivers, a lot more difficult (Almost impossible after that much draft distance) to defend the position there...but hey, if someone feels like giving it a try, more power to them :D

Yeah, I've had that happen too. Sometimes the driver behind just sees what looks like a gap and dives for it. :irked: If ya see 'em coming you can usually use the better exit speed to fight back, but I also often lose sight of the chasing car when making that sort of wide, late and sharp entry, and don't see them until I accidentally turn down on them. :yuck:

The sweetspot for overtaking should be the chicane after the back straight, much safer for both drivers, a lot more difficult (Almost impossible after that much draft distance) to defend the position there...but hey, if someone feels like giving it a try, more power to them :D

Yes, at the chicane that's all good. However, the scenario we were describing on the final turn isn't. I will expect everyone to abide by the OLR and it states that the lead driver has the right to choose his line. That includes taking a late apex, so if a trailing driver tries to go inside in that scenario it would be considered a divebomb which is frowned upon. Out braking someone is fine if the lead driver is aware of the move (which is the case at the chicane) but diving to the inside after the lead driver has committed to a late apex is not. 👍

Yes, at the chicane that's all good. However, the scenario we were describing on the final turn isn't. I will expect everyone to abide by the OLR and it states that the lead driver has the right to choose his line. That includes taking a late apex, so if a trailing driver tries to go inside in that scenario it would be considered a divebomb which is frowned upon. Out braking someone is fine if the lead driver is aware of the move (which is the case at the chicane) but diving to the inside after the lead driver has committed to a late apex is not. 👍

This is the exact reason why I posted about the chicane being the right spot, and how hairy an overtaking would be if attempted at the last turn (agreed: coca cola, warsteiner etc, marketing stunt turn names will never do)

This is the exact reason why I posted about the chicane being the right spot, and how hairy an overtaking would be if attempted at the last turn (agreed: coca cola, warsteiner etc, marketing stunt turn names will never do)

That's one of the reasons I like this track, even the short version has two great overtaking spots and another possible one. The full version adds two more possible overtaking opportunities. I love the time change here too. If nobody is opposed we'll do one of the races at night. 👍

That's one of the reasons I like this track, even the short version has two great overtaking spots and another possible one. The full version adds two more possible overtaking opportunities. I love the time change here too. If nobody is opposed we'll do one of the races at night. 👍
I'm not great in the dark, but hey, I'm up for a challenge.

Playing with the exposure setting helps at night. +5 or +6 seems good. Makes daytime bit bright, though but I dont see anything in the dark without it.
The most it's possible to go up to is +1.0. I set mine to +0.5.

@BrandonW77 ,
it would be nice ,if you could add those usual rules and behavior guidelines in the OP 👍
I think nearly all of us know them and we're a well coordinated team right now , it's just something someone "new" wants or needs to know :cheers:

Yeah, I've had that happen too. Sometimes the driver behind just sees what looks like a gap and dives for it. :irked: If ya see 'em coming you can usually use the better exit speed to fight back, but I also often lose sight of the chasing car when making that sort of wide, late and sharp entry, and don't see them until I accidentally turn down on them. :yuck:

I think I have done this in the past... :embarrassed: I think last lap in last sunday's Parity practise was last time... @amarynceos made a slight mistake in the chicane and I got to his side, if I remember correctly. I have to check the replay.

Is it still wrong, even if you know your car brakes better and you can keep the inside line thanks to oversteer, so that late apex guy has the outside lane free at the exit?

I think the result last time was that we exited the turn side by side but @amarynceos had better exit speed and he beat me by car length at the finish line :)

I am aware it is bad race craft because you slow both of you down a lot so cars behind you gain a lot of time but with a good braking car you can out brake a late apex and still keep the inside line without closing the line completely at the exit.

Isn't the parity perfect for close battles like this? :D

In any case if it is not qualification lap, I would recommend taking a line that is mixture of the two amarynceos showed. turn in bit more at the center of the track adjust in the middle and try to accelerate early. Easier in some cars than others but does not leave that inviting gaping opening at the turn-in.

Last edited:
One key element in a corner like this is overlap at the beginning of the braking zone.

(Edit: just to be clear, this is my take on this situation and this specific corner. The OLR speaks only of overlap before turn-in. Other drivers may have differing takes, and @BrandonW77 is obviously the one with the final say. ;) )

We'll take something like that situation as an example... say I've made a pig's ear out of the chicane and you get a run on me down to the final turn. :mad:

If you've established 'sufficient overlap' (commonly adjudged to be your nose up to my driver's door) at or before the beginning of the braking zone, then it becomes incumbent upon me to leave enough space for your car on the inside of the corner. It is of course incumbent upon the overtaker to keep to the inside lane and not drift out wide. If contact occurs, fault will generally be ascribed to whichever driver fails to keep to their lane. ;)

If you have not established such an overlap before the braking zone, then I as the leading car still have the 'right' to take the turn-in point and line that I see fit to take for that corner. If you as the following car chuck it up the inside anyway, it's a divebomb, and if contact results it's pretty much certainly going to be your fault. :D

Because it's such a short braking zone for this corner, having a car that 'brakes better' shouldn't be a factor -- it's unlikely that there's going to be all that great a difference in braking distances here. The first corner or the entry to the chicane would be a different case -- the braking zones are much longer and straighter, and are suitable places to exploit a braking advantage. 👍 Provided it's not a divebomb from way back and overlap is gained before turn-in, obviously.

Last edited:
That is how I have understood it as well.

I am fairly confident at Nurburgring GP/F but not GP/D. Would you guys say that the new turn is also a late apex turn? I am still kind of strugling with it.

I'd say it was a fairly conventional apex-at-the-midpoint corner. The run to the next turn is too short to make it worth sacrificing mid-corner minimum speed to get a good run off; keeping my momentum up seems to work best so far. I've been trying to just barely clip the flat grey kerb in the middle while avoiding the red and white kerbs on entry and exit. Braking point's at or right after the sign gantry across the track, slight trailbraking down to the apex (though I often prefer to roll it in before picking up throttle.)

Other thoughts?

I've always had problems at Nurburgring - To me, every corner is a late apex corner which I just can't get to grips with! At other tracks there is a certain rhythm to the corners, but I just cannot find this at the Ring.

If you have not established such an overlap before the braking zone, then I as the leading car still have the 'right' to take the turn-in point and line that I see fit to take for that corner. If you as the following car chuck it up the inside anyway, it's a divebomb, and if contact results it's pretty much certainly going to be your fault. :D

Tell that to Nico. :lol:

You guys are all spot on. The gist of it is that the lead car should have enough time to adjust his approach and allow room for the overtaking car. If the trailing car "chucks it up the inside" at the last second then the lead car has probably already committed to their approach and will not be able to accommodate the overtaking car and there will either be contact or the lead car will be forced wide/off track, and that's frowned upon.

I'll get my rules added to the OP. I'm not super strict, I just want everyone to race others the way you would want to be raced. 👍

Last edited:
Well there could be a problem if a driver joins us and wants to drive dirty and wants us all to race that way :lol:. I don't even know that there are any "dirty" clubs on gtplanet to be honest. Organized racing tends to be clean racing.

Well I plan to send some FRs over the weekend so it's easier to find one another. Already got most of the WRS people...

So we are racing tomorrow?

No, I'm out of town and won't be home until tomorrow night.

Here's where I am right now, with my buddies celebrating the ten year anniversary of our weekly poker game. :P

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back