The Pictures of Mike Rotch (now with added development)

• Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 240 comments
Its a wall, dude! The bottom element is a broken window boarded up from the inside and the top is a vent. 👍
👍, I get it now!

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC:
As I am legally blind, and we did not know until I was 4 years old, it made me learn my surrounding more than what average people would. So, when I infer a picture, I generally check out surrounding of specific objects if I am having trouble figuring it out. On this picture, all I can see is a vent, which appeared to be on the floor at first. With a primarily, solid white background, I figured it was a floor also. Items such as wall outlets, textured paint, or brand name drywall would help me understand this.

I would be willing to bet I am not the only person who struggled with this, and not for the same reason I did. Everybody has their own way of percieving unfamiliar scenes. Credit to @Mike Rotch for the incredible photography (you really do have some awesome photography) that threw me for a loop and @Boffin for un-looping me. 👍

Ahh you're going to have so much fun! Are you developing and printing too? Ages ago when I was struggling to find motivation with my uni degree, I shot rolls of film around Sydney's CBD and it was enough of a sabbatical and an enjoyable release to get me back on track. 👍

Ahh you're going to have so much fun! Are you developing and printing too?
Sorry for the delay in responding, not sure why I didn't see this :)

The plan is to do my own scanning, and eventually developing (given it's rather pricey and something I'd like to try at least) but have to get my move done and dusted first. Speaking of which, my lack of activity is a lagged effect, as a result of limited time associated with house hunting and now moving, and of course, starting all again with 35mm.

Ages ago when I was struggling to find motivation with my uni degree, I shot rolls of film around Sydney's CBD and it was enough of a sabbatical and an enjoyable release to get me back on track.
👍 Winter has a different mood/ vibe about the place - I am looking forward to the warmer months a bit.

Anyway, I'm not feeling particularly inspired ito image selection at the moment, but I took this one ages ago and I've been meaning to get to it.

Voigtlander 35mm f2.0

Slight update on the lack of activity.

Moving house has rubbed out the last month of shooting time and having no internet at home means any of my older material can't see the light of day (not that I had much that passes my 'keeper' test).

I managed to get out today and got through half a roll so should be back in action in the not too distant future.

So I went and purchased a flatbed Epson film scanner; partly to halve my processing costs, partly to give me more control of the finished product.

I am still learning what all the settings do, but as a test, I redid the above one - scan, take to PP and work on. Small differences (like my scanner chopping some film - need to check that out), but overall, I am pleased. :)

@Mike Rotch:

My opinion is that you shouldn't process your film files so much.

Let them be more "natural" and have a more pronounced differentiation between them and your digital shots.

This was my initial thought as soon as I saw your first film shot (I could barely see any difference from the rest of your photos), and this feeling striked me even more now.

/2 cents

@Mike Rotch:

My opinion is that you shouldn't process your film files so much.

Let them be more "natural" and have a more pronounced differentiation between them and your digital shots.

This was my initial thought as soon as I saw your first film shot (I could barely see any difference from the rest of your photos), and this feeling striked me even more now.

/2 cents
Thanks for the feedback @35mm 👍

The first shot you mention was a straight scan by the film shop, no PP and same with the first version of the one above.

The second I was recovering shadow with a tiff, as it was overexposed but didn't do anything else (no grain for example).

Hmm. Food for thought for sure.

Thanks for the feedback @35mm 👍

The first shot you mention was a straight scan by the film shop, no PP and same with the first version of the one above.

The second I was recovering shadow with a tiff, as it was overexposed but didn't do anything else (no grain for example).

Hmm. Food for thought for sure.
Food for thought, indeed! I wasn't expecting that.

What about the files that come out from your flatbed scanner? How do they look originally?

Anyway, my experience with lab scanning and from my own "dSLR scanning" is a totally different: the files come out much more flat and unprocessed.

What about the files that come out from your flatbed scanner? How do they look originally?
Quite flat, but at this point I am not 100% sure if it's my original exposure, or the scanner :) Good point though, I don't want to over process film images but do what them to represent what I saw.

Zorki 4K - Jupiter-8 50mm - Ilford PAN 400

Back