The Political Cartoon/Image/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 12,859 comments
TB
ZKdRXdU.jpeg

It's all coming out now (so to speak). Here's the poop.

What did it say?

Last edited:
The Conservative And Unionist Party have been in government since 2010 and have been keen on pushing austerity. I don't think they like public services much at all, really. Assuming those newspapers are genuine, they don't surprise me.
Similar situation here in the Netherlands. You would think people would direct their anger with the current capacity issues at the people who got us to this point but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I can't help but think this graphic was put together by a lockdown skeptic or has the intent of downplaying the pandemic in some way.

I believe the insinuation is that 'the left' and left-leaning media such as The Guardian always make a big song and dance about the NHS being stretched in winter, and hence the current situation is no different.

There's two things wrong with that. Firstly, these articles reflect the fact that the NHS really is always stretched, esp. in winter, so the articles are accurate, and it is fair thing to point out. Secondly, the implication that the current situation is just another example of the NHS being stretched is very, very wrong - almost to the point of being deliberately misleading and quite (if not extremely) insulting.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but if that is not the purpose of the graphic, then it would be interesting to know what the purpose of it is.

Similar situation here in the Netherlands. You would think people would direct their anger with the current capacity issues at the people who got us to this point but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
If people wanted public services such as the NHS to be run well, they'd vote for different representatives in government but here we are.
I believe the insinuation is that 'the left' and left-leaning media such as The Guardian always make a big song and dance about the NHS being stretched in winter, and hence the current situation is no different.

There's two things wrong with that. Firstly, these articles reflect the fact that the NHS really is always stretched, esp. in winter, so the articles are accurate, and it is fair thing to point out. Secondly, the implication that the current situation is just another example of the NHS being stretched is very, very wrong - almost to the point of being deliberately misleading and quite (if not extremely) insulting.
I think that's the more immediate point in response to the image. I came at it from a different angle but it is important to point out that this winter is a special case. You're correct to point out that we shouldn't pretend the pandemic isn't a huge deal.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but if that is not the purpose of the graphic, then it would be interesting to know what the purpose of it is.
"Narrative" seems to be the new buzzword with the "fake news" crowd. Considering that these headlines accompany a period of historic underfunding by the present Tory administration it's a bit cynical for anyone to suggest the NHS is crying wolf, to put it kindly.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factc...rous-have-the-conservatives-been-with-the-nhs

0.3-Healthcare-spending-vs-Labour-and-long-term.jpg

Last edited:

Also, even if it is just lefty media getting worked up about it, the right wing government is the one telling us how stretched the NHS is at the moment. So I'm not sure this is attempt at anything political, simply something to be bandied around by plandemic/scamdemic halfwits.

Also, even if it is just lefty media getting worked up about it, the right wing government is the one telling us how stretched the NHS is at the moment. So I'm not sure this is attempt at anything political, simply something to be bandied around by plandemic/scamdemic halfwits.
That certainly corresponds with his posting of anti-mask/anti-vaxx memes and sentiment.

Let's approach this in an orderly, educated way

My first grade daughter is currently being taught at school the difference between FACT and OPINION.

this chart can be considered a fact.

It would have been much easier for all of us had the Guardian put some sort of explanation below the chart,

But in doing so they would have declared their opinion....
... by doing so, removing their impartiality, neutrality, or/and independence.

My personal opinion on this chart and the way everyone should translate it is as follows:

In previous years for almost a decade now, when there isn't any pandemic or crisis, the hospital beds during winter are systemically running out....

This data shows that something should have been done about it for years already, and that the government should have seen the shortage even during normal years when there is no pandemic.

We should have sized our hospital to comfortably handle situations during the winter...

Now that we have this pandemic for almost a year, maybe it is at least reasonable to increase the capacity, and we wouldn't be in the wrong to invest or increase spending on our healthcare system...

Just my 2 cents on this.

My first grade daughter is currently being taught at school the difference between FACT and OPINION.

It would have been much easier for all of us had the Guardian put some sort of explanation below the chart,

My personal opinion on this chart and the way everyone should translate it is as follows:

In previous years for almost a decade now, when there isn't any pandemic or crisis, the hospital beds during winter are systemically running out....

This data shows that something should have been done about it for years already, and that the government should have seen the shortage even during normal years when there is no pandemic.

We should have sized our hospital to comfortably handle situations during the winter...

Now that we have this pandemic for almost a year, maybe it is at least reasonable to increase the capacity, and we wouldn't be in the wrong to invest or increase spending on our healthcare system...

Just my 2 cents on this.
Thank you:)

Let's see what we can find for articles mentioning makeshift mortuaries in the Guardian, shall we?

Multiple from 2020 and 2021, all COVID related. A couple of non-medical emergency situations.

The only one I could see that was flu related was in Jan 2000, where 60 bodies were briefly stored in a lorry in East Sussex. That article also notes that was a particularly bad winter for flu, with three times the deaths of the previous year.

Should the NHS be funded better? Sure. Is COVID just "a flu"? **** off.

Last edited:

Just my 2 cents on this.
It's not a Guardian graphic.

There's two ways to interpret this image though. The first (sympathetic) reading is exactly as you describe... it's a comment on how the NHS is always stretched and that this ought not to be the case. This is a point that the Guardian articles as well as their opinion pieces have been arguing for years.

But that is not the point of this collage.

The point of it - which, as you right say, is not made overtly clear - is to foment distrust in Guardian headlines about the stress levels on the NHS, which, right now, is related to the pandemic. As such, it's pretty clear to me that the point of this image is to call into question the seriousness of the pandemic, and to attempt to portray the current crisis as overblown.

In many ways it is kind of self-defeating though, not least because the articles it cites were all correct at the time and demonstrate a simple fact - that not enough is being done to avert these crisis points in the NHS.

But the fact that it is being shared on Twitter by prominent COVID deniers is a very strong indication that the intent behind the image is pretty vile.

I strongly doubt the Guardian made the chart and then referred to it as a narrative. Reverse image searching it brings up exactly the kind of people you'd imagine.

And @Touring Mars

We are saying the same thing without saying the same way.

If you didn't purposely taken my one statement out of my context, or at least continued reading, I specifically recognized that the Guardian, solely based on the chart alone, didnt provide a narrative, nor intended to provide one as I suspect.

And because of that, people are forced to and left to think for themselves, by themselves.

Google reverse search as you say, is essentially finding evidences of what and how people think, which shows clearly that people are unable to think correctly for themselves.

The majority of people are too stupid, ignorant, as proven by the last US election results, to think by themselves without saying or concluding Bull****.

What I was saying was : had the Guardian provided a narrative, or their opinion, it would have made it easier and thus prevented such wrong conclusion by people...

The population just cannot be trusted for simple task, without being monitored.

IMHO.

From now on, all journals, and newspaper should follow this format:

Provide a Fact,
Then show their Opinion.

Currently, journalism and journalists are taking too much liberty in writing too creatively, not showing facts vs opinion...

Last edited:
If you didn't purposely taken my one statement out of my context, or at least continued reading, I specifically recognized that the Guardian, solely based on the chart alone, didnt provide a narrative, nor intended to provide one as I suspect.

I read everything you wrote, and I selected the one bit to quote that I think might be skewing your response.

If this was an infographic put out in it's entirety by the Guardian itself, then I agree with what you wrote, they should have made sure the purpose of it was clear, and yes, we should be investing more in our NHS. However, it was either created by, or edited and taken out of context by, people that are anti-mask, anti-vax and anti-authority... or anti-Guardian (i.e. pro-Conservative government). Given that it's our conservative government that's now locking us down to protect our stretched NHS, it makes no sense for the image to say "The winter NHS narrative" if it's anti-Guardian.. therefore it's most likely anti-vax, anti-mask, anti-lockdown.

The facts, as you put it, are being presented here to reinforce an opinion. Based on @VolkswagenX's previous posts, it's safe to assume it's an anti-lockdown stance, though I admit it could be that he's tired of the Guardian going on about how stretched the NHS is, and the timing of the article is mere coincidence, but I severely doubt that the latter is the case.

Last edited:
I'll repeat this for clarity....

It is not from The Guardian.

Ok fair point made by you, with that context...

Essentially people taking the facts and twisting it to satisfy their bad intentions...
That's called fake news or another kind of deep fake...

Again, my point is: from here on, our society has become all sort of things, it has become too complex, complicated and confusing,

We need to make it evidently clear by all party,
When presenting something to mark it either as fact or opinion.

We both agree then

Last edited:
I read everything you wrote, and I selected the one bit to quote that I think might be skewing your response.

If this was an infographic put out in it's entirety by the Guardian itself, then I agree with what you wrote, they should have made sure the purpose of it was clear, and yes, we should be investing more in our NHS. However, it was either created by, or edited and taken out of context by, people that are anti-mask, anti-vax and anti-authority... or anti-Guardian (i.e. pro-Conservative government). Given that it's our conservative government that's now locking us down to protect our stretched NHS, it makes no sense for the image to say "The winter NHS narrative" if it's anti-Guardian.. therefore it's most likely anti-vax, anti-mask, anti-lockdown.

The facts, as you put it, are being presented here to reinforce an opinion. Based on @VolkswagenX's previous posts, it's safe to assume it's an anti-lockdown stance, though I admit it could be that he's tired of the Guardian going on about how stretched the NHS is, and the timing of the article is mere coincidence, but I severely doubt that the latter is the case.

The opposition essentially pointing out the Guardian as the boy who cry out Wolf....

But jokes on them: There is a Wolf right now...

Back