The Political Cartoon/Image/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 12,855 comments
Speedy.jpg

"Any flaws?"

"Well, I snore. Some say I work too hard. Oh...and I'm a convicted murderer."

I understand Spector scored a record number of hits on Ronnie's face and body but I don't remember Hitler producing any art as memorable as "Da Doo Ron Ron". The VW Beetle design maybe.

Last edited:
I understand Spector scored a record number of hits on Ronnie's face and body but I don't remember Hitler producing any art as memorable as "Da Doo Ron Ron". The VW Beetle design maybe.
Hitler's "troubles" were far afield of Phil's "flaws." The headline, while technically accurate, is absurd because it massively downplays Spector's having killed Clarkson. Comparison to Hitler is also absurd, but the mock headline does exactly the same thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

He also wrote a book that’s still in publication nearly 100 years later. Granted I'm not sure many people read Mein Kampf for it's artistic merit.

Hitler's "troubles" were far afield of Phil's "flaws." The headline, while technically accurate, is absurd because it massively downplays Spector's having killed Clarkson. Comparison to Hitler is also absurd, but the mock headline does exactly the same thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I guess that's what editors are for. How's this revision?

Screenshot_20210117-234014_Chrome.jpg

"Radical Left" Joe Biden will never not be funny. Biden is a successful career politician who just happens to not be a zealous bigot.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's an improvement.

Edit:

So sick of these "muh free speech" MAGA idiots who are upset Twitter silenced Trump & think their 1A rights are at risk, but had no problem when Trump, as the head figure of government itself, the very thing 1A actually protects us against, was violating himself anyway.
But his feud with Twitter is another example of the ways in which the president has routinely distorted the principles of the First Amendment in order to undermine the very freedoms he claims to be championing – as well as American democracy more broadly.

On May 26, Trump tweeted that – contrary to all available evidence – mail-in voting is plagued by rampant voter fraud. Twitter placed a factcheck label on the tweet linking to information demonstrating the falsity of Trump’s claims.

In response, Trump attacked Twitter, accusing it of stifling “free speech” and threatened to take measures to strongly regulate social medial platforms or to potentially close them down entirely.
https://theconversation.com/donald-...he-free-speech-rights-of-all-americans-139588

Our institutions will only hold, however, if they are defended with concrete actions. The lawsuit filed by PEN America in October 2018 against Trump shows how. It charges that he has violated the First Amendment in misusing his official powers to retaliate against speech he finds objectionable. He revoked press passes of White House reporters from outlets that criticize him. He issued an executive order to review postal rates as a way of punishing Amazon, whose founder and chief executive, Jeff Bezos, owns The Post, which was Trump’s real target in this operation. (Those rates were raised in January.)

And just this week, he has suggested that Americans boycott AT&T as a way of punishing CNN, a network he views as his nemesis.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/06/04/trump-keeps-threatening-freedom-speech/

Topics like free speech need to be taught in schools. It is so misunderstood and its misuse and misunderstanding is responsible for so much needless aggrivation.

But... cynical old me doesn't think that actually useful critical thinking topics are ever going to be part of a curriculum. It's better to have drone factories that produce taxpayers rather than useful education that produces people not just willing to challenge the status quo but able to.

Last edited:
So sick of these "muh free speech" MAGA idiots who are upset Twitter silenced Trump & think their 1A rights are at risk, but had no problem when Trump, as the head figure of government itself, the very thing 1A actually protects us against, was violating himself anyway.

https://theconversation.com/donald-...he-free-speech-rights-of-all-americans-139588

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/06/04/trump-keeps-threatening-freedom-speech/
Their deliberate misunderstanding of free speech and what that actually entails is old hat. What stuck out for me is the blatant hypocritical appeal to cancel culture (*reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*). But hey, if it wasn't for double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

"Any flaws?"

There seems to be a difference of online opinion between Brits and Them Across The Pond about how serious the word "flaw" is. It's normal in British English to talk about "flawed genius" to include any kind of severity up to and including murder. It seems that Americans reserve the word for more minor attributes.

Topics like free speech need to be taught in schools. It is so misunderstood and its misuse and misunderstanding is responsible for so much needless aggravation.

Definitely this. It was supposed to be a part of the political history segment of the National Curriculum (iirc), but it never happened. A cynic might say that the establishment has no interest in training its citizens in such things. Antidisestablishmentarianism.

There seems to be a difference of online opinion between Brits and Them Across The Pond about how serious the word "flaw" is. It's normal in British English to talk about "flawed genius" to include any kind of severity up to and including murder. It seems that Americans reserve the word for more minor attributes.
I can appreciate that, but then this is the internet and people with vast distances between one another are capable of communicating (including through news media) virtually unimpeded. "Local" isn't what it used to be.

A credit to BBC, having since changed the headline, who seemingly appreciates that something completely innocent to native ears comes off as callous to other populations.

https://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-hamartia.html

• Oedipus: in Greek myth, this character's instance of hamartia was simply not knowing his own origins. Oedipus killed his own father and then ended up marrying his mother, all because his identity was unknown to him.
  • Macbeth: the lead character of Shakespeare's famous play "Macbeth" has a fatal flaw that almost seems like a virtue. He suffers from the flaw of ambition, which leads directly to his becoming named the King of Scotland… but also to his death. When blind ambition leads him to kill innocent people, and ultimately die himself at the hands of MacDuff.
  • Othello: another Shakespearean character who possesses a fatal flaw. When Iago tells him lies, Othello goes into a jealous rage. It is his jealousy that drives him to murder Desdemona and, once he realizes her innocence, to commit suicide.

Three examples in literature of murder being presented as a "fatal flaw".

Last edited:

I don't think there's a problem with describing some people as 'flawed' but certainly, at least to me, murder just clearly crosses that line. It's as plain as day and reminds me of this Gogglebox classic:

8T5WZQM5chO3sDVsdynR_W-qiHTreFBwKsBiw0buAIY.jpg

It's not as plain as day.

Some people just want to see it as a deliberate strike in a culture war on white men though despite the headline being replaced within minutes.

Last edited:
Back