The Singer-Williams DLS Is a Symphony of Carbon Fiber and Performance

You need to give a kidney and an arm and a leg, and probably more parts (to buy it). Hope it's adaptable for driving.

Last edited:
$1.8 million.

5 years later, some of these cars will be sold for much more. If owners want to sell of course.

My god..

I have given up on ever seeing, driving let alone owning one of these Singer cars.

Pretty please PDI - could we atleast see one in GT Sport one day?

Base price these days is $500-600,000 supplying the car and going bare minimum, most easily going for $700-$800,000+. So it's not all that shocking that the next "iteration" now can command a $2 million tag with Williams' partnership alongside. The price is really only hard to swallow because it looks like an old Porsche. Otherwise, the craftsmanship, the attention to detail, complete owner customization places it alongside other cars in this price bracket with the waiting list to beat; currently 30+ months.

The joy behind Singer ownership is that they treat their owner base as if they own McLaren F1s. Techs will fly out, fix and update cars, get replacement parts out within just 72 hours, etc. etc. a lot of it on the company dollar. The fact there are literally close to none on the 2nd hand market is another positive to this company with well over 100 cars built to date; there are owners willing to sell, but only if an offer is made up front. Last car I saw available to the public eye was the Monaco car at $900,000.

It is beautiful.

I've always liked what Singer does, the old Porsches are so pretty.

But I still think if the funds were available I'd have a street legal RSR built running standard 911 drivetrain.

street-legal-porsche-911-gt3-rsr-has-918-spyder-lights-in-this-vicious-rendering-115134_1.jpg

You can imagine how fun this would be to drive. Air cooled with the cams pushing 9k. It just screams. I'd just put the cans in 993 gt3.

Then again, for that price I'd start my own company. Making carbon fiber body panels for bmw, civics, etc

You need to give a kidney and an arm and a leg, and probably more parts (to buy it). Hope it's adaptable for driving.

I added the kidney bit into the article, so I feel the need to add my hot take in the thread itself: it's a very impressive piece of kit, and from an engineering perspective it's fascinating. That tach alone is beautiful, easily on par with the best automotive art Pagani has put out over the years. Buuuuuut...

$1.8 million seems nuts to me for something that isn't a ground-up vehicle. A "regular" — if you can call it that — Singer is much more appealing to me as a pie-in-the-sky ownership prospect. I also think it looks better; the more overt motorsport influences work really well here, especially that subtle intake at the trailing edge of the roof. But it's just a wee bit fussier.

I'm glad this exists, and as you later quoted, that's a whole bunch of madness. And I'm very glad we live in a world where that can flourish — that's why that quote couldn't be ignored, either. :D

I saw a Singer in the wild in SF recently. It was a beautiful thing.

I'm not sure I'd pay Pagani money for one, but it is not expensive for nothing.

At this point, I'm pretty sure Singer has the experience, the capital, and the name recognition to build their own car. A British/AmericanCalifornian Pagani almost. Their finish quality is as good as the best OEMs, so I could see the result being pretty spectacular. In addition to that, they've successfully built their entire brand around design, quality, and fanatical attention to detail as opposed to willy-waving contest performance....what this means is that they are not obligated to build some 6-million hp machine to generate interest (cough cough SSC/Saleen)

So, Singer, if you are listening, would you mind taking the spirit of the Porsche 904 (but not it's exact likeness) and do your thing with it? This Williams engine would be plenty enough. Maybe try to keep it under $1M. :lol:

Last edited:
I saw a Singer in the wild in SF recently. It was a beautiful thing.

I'm not sure I'd pay Pagani money for one, but it is not expensive for nothing.

I've been lucky enough to poke around one at an auto show and it really is a piece of art. It's fascinating, and were I the sort of person in the market for one, I could very easily see myself becoming the type to do this:

In the Singer's case, its origins may actually help non-car people appreciate how some vehicles can be viewed as art. A Pagani is a modern car that's built to a jewel-like quality, and classic Ferraris trade for almost incomprehensible amounts of money. But sit a regular 964 beside a Singerized version, and I think people would not only understand why it costs as much as it does, but really twig onto the craftsmanship aspect.

I think the issue that may arise from building their own car is conflict with using the “best of” Porsche and their nameplate on the car. I’m sure by this point, there is some sort of agreement between the two with the donor cars being Porsches and the engine numbers remaining from the original car.

Building their own car may also require them to jump threw new legal requirements they may not want to deal with.

If you look at every single detail separately it's absolutely amazing; the tachometer is a work of art for instance. As a whole though, I feel there's a bit too much going on. I prefer the red one they're showing off at Goodwood this weekend.

What a masterpiece.

Personally, I mostly prefer the original, but there are elements of this that are just spectacular.

1.8m USD though... you can access a whole heap of amazing classic cars for that.

I have no doubt about the technical excellence of this latest Singer creation, but it honestly looks a bit fussy to me, and I'll rather have the "basic" Singer with it's cleaner, more delicate long hood backdate look (not that I would say no if I was offered one!).

Also interesting to see they went back to the aero mirror look for this.

I also think it looks better; the more overt motorsport influences work really well here, especially that subtle intake at the trailing edge of the roof.

I don't think that's an engine intake, but rather the leading edge of a little wing. It looks like they created a channel in the roof and rear glass for air passing over the car to feed a little airfoil up top without ruining the classic 911 side profile.

I don't think that's an engine intake, but rather the leading edge of a little wing. It looks like they created a channel in the roof and rear glass for air passing over the car to feed a little airfoil up top without ruining the classic 911 side profile.

Looks to me as if that serves the same function as the standard rear-vent normally would in that location: allow air to flow through the cabin. (For those who don't know, the body-work just above the rear-window in many classic 911s has vents in it that help pull fresh air through the car. They work surprisingly well.)

For all of you drooling over this, forget the numbers, remember that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, and set your eyes on a "regular" Porsche. They may well be within your means, even when you take into consideration the recent price increases (the models with nothing special about them are still quite a bargain considering what you get for your money). Plus, once you fix those one or two huge problems that every Porsche model seems to have (research each model and see what the specific issues were - and either buy one with them already fixed or demand that the purchase price be reduced by the amount necessary to fix them - and don't budge on that), the reputation for being dead-reliable and also extremely durable is extremely well earned (not only do they run and run and run, you can thrash the hell out of them and they still run and run and run).

(For those who don't know, the body-work just above the rear-window in many classic 911s has vents in it that help pull fresh air through the car. They work surprisingly well.)
IMG_01711328498795.jpg

I don't know for certain that they were trying to go a different direction with that while serving the same function, I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption. The new treatment appears to pick up on the original's parameters when it comes to position and width.

It's actually my only real gripe among all of the "standard kit" with which all of the cars in this spec are likely to be equipped (which is to specifically not take into account that absurd interior color). It's just entirely too "new edge" for me and may serve well on a 996 or newer--perhaps even a 993--but certainly not one intended to pay homage to the early cars as seems to be Singer's modus operandi.

Frankly, I can even tolerate the arch extensions (something at which I normally scoff) because they're body color, lack any visible hardware and conform nicely to the existing Singer body contours (which are very heavily modified as they relate to early cars).

Edit: I take that back--the mesh panel to show off plumbing in the rear is awful tacky.

Singer-DLS-GWFOS-9.jpg

Last edited:
Back