The Sound Update Thread (The Return)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 1,178 comments
What indicates that they are trying to use shortcuts? There is still a lot of room for improvement in car sounds, but they are still refining the engine sounds as the beta goes on.

The aggressive crackles and pops of the exhaust sounds have finally been added, and the overall quality of car sounds in GT Sport is finally within range of other racing sims, compared to the embarrassing sounds of GT6.

It may be significantly better than GT6 since we're also looking at a generation jump, but "within range of other sims"? Not quite there yet. The good news is GTS is still in beta.

What indicates that they are trying to use shortcuts? There is still a lot of room for improvement in car sounds, but they are still refining the engine sounds as the beta goes on.

The aggressive crackles and pops of the exhaust sounds have finally been added, and the overall quality of car sounds in GT Sport is finally within range of other racing sims, compared to the embarrassing sounds of GT6.

The pops are addictive to listen to. Best I've heard in ANY racing game. The sounds of the cars are an improvement, much more lively than GT6 I must say.

The pops are addictive to listen to. Best I've heard in ANY racing game. The sounds of the cars are an improvement, much more lively than GT6 I must say.
I don't pay much attention to this stuff but I don't find them any better than Forza Horizon 3 for example. Given that the engine sounds are far more visceral and aggressive to me in FH3, the pops and crackles come across as more realistic because they are in a more convincing context. Just the opinion of someone who doesn't have a stake in either game.

Looks like PD recorded the upshifting sound from a motorbike, sounds in GTS are a step forward compared to GT6, but they are miles away from Raceroom car sounds, the sound benchmark of any racing game.

(my post from update forum as its more relevant here.)

Its still a bit overly digitized and mid/high revs should have more dynamic,( but it really has nothing to do with vacuums. We really should try to give more precise feedback than that.)

Something i came to think of is the kind of "moan" that changes frequency and therefore volume several times from low to high revs. That could bring more dynamic to the sound. Its hard to describe, but in short i mean the pitch of the sound shouldn't change linearly but rather in waves as revs go up/down. And many sounds could still be a bit more raw/tear.

And i think theres a bit too much of backfire all the time, but i take it rather than none.

The Corvette still sounds thin and brittle, and almost harsh.

Still waiting for GT to get that rich brassy mid range like this

Yeah, American muscle cars have always been tough for GT. PS3 GT games sounded horrible.

I like what they've done with the C7 GT3 and how it's evolving, but it could use a bit more refinement, same with the Mustang GT3. Hopefully they are making the same changes changes with the Dodge Charger SRT (although I don't plan on ever using it - not a fan of this car:yuck:).

If you mean the GR.4, then I do agree as it still lacks abit of that bass (especially as a competition car, which should have even more). If you mean the GR.3, I think just based on exhaust position alone it should sound more like this:

Or (since those colors look vaguely familiar):

It sounds less like a pure racing car and more like a road car with a slight exhaust upgrade.

That's it! It's the bass mix and clear midrange along with near-absent exhaust sounds that need to be added. I really... I mean REALLY want GT to keep up with the other racing sims in terms of sound. It can... but will it go to thoselengths to get all the individual nuances right? I don't know. I just don't know...

(my post from update forum as its more relevant here.)

Its still a bit overly digitized and mid/high revs should have more dynamic,( but it really has nothing to do with vacuums. We really should try to give more precise feedback than that.)

Something i came to think of is the kind of "moan" that changes frequency and therefore volume several times from low to high revs. That could bring more dynamic to the sound. Its hard to describe, but in short i mean the pitch of the sound shouldn't change linearly but rather in waves as revs go up/down. And many sounds could still be a bit more raw/tear.

And i think theres a bit too much of backfire all the time, but i take it rather than none.

This is EXACTLY what needs to be implemented. This will ensure the cars sound like they have real engines and exhausts rather than a digitized and loopy sample. There are some great examples to be had in both FM5 and 6 of what you mention - all that dynamism and frequency range - and it would be amazing to finally see that in Gran Turismo. Engine/exhaust sound is something that has a consistently varying pitch and tone, something that has been represented well in Forza games and to some extent, PCARS too. The Dirt games of course are the best example.

Last edited:
That's it! It's the bass mix and clear midrange along with near-absent exhaust sounds that need to be added. I really... I mean REALLY want GT to keep up with the other racing sims in terms of sound. It can... but will it go to thoselengths to get all the individual nuances right? I don't know. I just don't know...

Well, we've actually lived long enough to see Pops and crackles as well as chassis scrape, things once found nowhere near GT.

Really? What the hell is this?
İnstant shifts? Virtual upshift effects?
When you upshift, the game engine loads next version of new audio layer. İnstantly.

Oh, come on. Its 2017.

If you mean the GR.4, then I do agree as it still lacks abit of that bass (especially as a competition car, which should have even more). If you mean the GR.3, I think just based on exhaust position alone it should sound more like this:

Or (since those colors look vaguely familiar):

It sounds less like a pure racing car and more like a road car with a slight exhaust upgrade.

But honestly, nothing comes close to hearing these cars in real life. I've heard the sound of a Corvette C6.R and it is intoxicating.

But honestly, nothing comes close to hearing these cars in real life. I've heard the sound of a Corvette C6.R and it is intoxicating.

Indeed. I think we're still quite a ways away from that era where console racing games translate engine/exhaust sounds on a 1:1 basis.

This is why some people prefer the more visceral sound of a Project Cars or a Forza and deem it more "realistic". I live on the Windsor side of the Detroit River and the race is on Belle Isle this weekend. I can clearly hear the cars and can identify the different engine configurations from 2.5km away sitting on my front porch or through an open window. Race cars are loud!!

Indeed. I think we're still quite a ways away from that era where console racing games translate engine/exhaust sounds on a 1:1 basis.

That would also require some exceptional speakers/headphoned..

Im pretty sure the latest sound update prepared GTS for the inclusion of BMW M8.. :lol:👍

That would also require some exceptional speakers/headphoned..

Im pretty sure the latest sound update prepared GTS for the inclusion of BMW M8.. :lol:👍

Whata exactly is the M8 suppose to be? Is it similar to the M4, but more powerful?

Whata exactly is the M8 suppose to be? Is it similar to the M4, but more powerful?

Its the M-version of this sweet thing they are releasing next year.. :drool: 8 series returns.. :cheers:

bmw-8-series-805.jpg

bmw-8-series-blur1.jpg

Don't forget with the Subaru Boxer sound, the sound in Japan is different compared to the rest of the world.

The Japanese STI makes use of an EJ20 with a Twin Scroll Turbo, therefore different manifold and less defined rumble. Sounds a lot more like an Inline 4.

For the rest of the world it's the vernable EJ25 engine with the manifold that makes the rumble everyone is so fond of.

PD, In modelling after a JDM STI, their sample is actually correct. Even in real life the car is quite quiet with a factory exhaust.

Though it doesn't excuse the instantaneous gear change sounds along with ; the exhaust and induction tones lacking a visceral nature akin to PCars, plus the sounds could react to their environment better like bouncing off and echoing in certain areas.

Don't forget with the Subaru Boxer sound, the sound in Japan is different compared to the rest of the world.

The Japanese STI makes use of an EJ20 with a Twin Scroll Turbo, therefore different manifold and less defined rumble. Sounds a lot more like an Inline 4.

For the rest of the world it's the vernable EJ25 engine with the manifold that makes the rumble everyone is so fond of.

PD, In modelling after a JDM STI, their sample is actually correct. Even in real life the car is quite quiet with a factory exhaust.

Though it doesn't excuse the instantaneous gear change sounds along with ; the exhaust and induction tones lacking a visceral nature akin to PCars, plus the sounds could react to their environment better like bouncing off and echoing in certain areas.

These threads are certainly very insightful and a handful of great suggestions in here as well. But do PD read these or at least have them acknowledged through a spokesperson?

The reverb and gear shifting sounds is something they should be paying a lot of attention to because other games are way ahead of the curve. Not to mention the gritty and visceral nature of exhaust sounds, particularly when we talk upgraded road cars or pure race cars.

This is why some people prefer the more visceral sound of a Project Cars or a Forza and deem it more "realistic". I live on the Windsor side of the Detroit River and the race is on Belle Isle this weekend. I can clearly hear the cars and can identify the different engine configurations from 2.5km away sitting on my front porch or through an open window. Race cars are loud!!
I still remember going to Le Mans and hearing the vast array of engine sounds. Sitting on the first corner and hearing the cars down shift for the slow left right was amazing. The pops and bangs of each were unbelievable... Yet to encounter a game which conveys this and truth be told, none may ever be able to.

I still remember going to Le Mans and hearing the vast array of engine sounds. Sitting on the first corner and hearing the cars down shift for the slow left right was amazing. The pops and bangs of each were unbelievable... Yet to encounter a game which conveys this and truth be told, none may ever be able to.

A game won't, probably ever, if for the simple reason that some of the sounds you heard will be getting into the range where ear damage might be an issue over the long term and companies won't want the liability (if they're even allowed). Hell, I've been to the F1 in Melbourne and when they run the old V12s around the track it's straight up painful without ear protection, and that's several dozen metres back from the track.

I'd settle for a game producing what good television coverage with top notch sound equipment can capture though.

I think it could be done very convincingly now but the cost would be prohibitive for individual cars in video games. The current sound packages for some cars in R3E and Automobilista, for example, are quite convincing to me, especially played through a really good system like mine. Played live, at home, uncompressed, they are absolutely brilliant at times.

If you can route this through your sound system, or the tv or pc speakers if you have to, have someone press play while you listen with your eyes closed and see if you can tell them apart, real vs. game. I'll bet you can't.

Last edited:
A game won't, probably ever, if for the simple reason that some of the sounds you heard will be getting into the range where ear damage might be an issue over the long term and companies won't want the liability (if they're even allowed). Hell, I've been to the F1 in Melbourne and when they run the old V12s around the track it's straight up painful without ear protection, and that's several dozen metres back from the track.

I'd settle for a game producing what good television coverage with top notch sound equipment can capture though.

Game companies should not be held liable for users keeping their volume at unbearable levels. And sounds can be really loud, detail-rich and sport high dynamic range such as FM5's car audio - that doesn't mean I need to keep the volume level really high to enjoy what it has to offer. Only I'm liable for any hearing damage that ensues. I have yet to see that level of dynamic range in engine/exhaust sounds in another Forza game, but that's off-topic.

I think it could be done very convincingly now but the cost would be prohibitive for individual cars in video games. The current sound packages for some cars in R3E and Automobilista, for example, are quite convincing to me, especially played through a really good system like mine. Played live, at home, uncompressed, they are absolutely brilliant at times.

If you can route this through your sound system, or the tv or pc speakers if you have to, have someone press play while you listen with your eyes closed and see if you can tell them apart, real vs. game. I'll bet you can't.

Heyy, I practically couldn't tell the difference. Bravo! It should be a standard in ALL car/driving games to have audio that meets a set standard, like we have for visuals = 1080p/60 for example, why can't we have a similar standard for game audio?

Back