The Sound Update Thread (The Return)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 1,178 comments
Now that this thread has been bumped it reminds me that it's not so much the sounds themselves, but how the different car sounds are blended into the driving experience that makes the most impact for me at least.

The other day I drove the family '79 911SC and finally realized how loud the transmission whine is compared to the engine (located way in the back, of course). So when PD gives us full tranny whine and less engine volume they're probably accurate, however the difference lies in the seat of the pants feel you get from driving in real life. I really need to hear the engine over the transmission in a game since it's the only frame of reference on torque, g-force and things like that. Prominent transmission volume doesn't guide me much in a game other than grate on my nerves after a while (which can also be true IRL if you've driven a 911 for several hours with no break).

Hi everyone! this link is about sound improvement, they talk about 3 phases treatment between polyphony and Sony.
Also is mentioned a new track, Tokyo Honda Highway. This journalist was invited to watch the track by bus.
Sorry if is something already mentioned

http://meristation.as.com/el-rugir-de-gran-turismo-sport/avance-juego/2216072

There's no track called Tokyo Honda Highway. He's referring to Tokyo Expressway, which makes sense, since he went on bus ride, thing that you can do on the road that inspired the Tokyo Expressway track. You don't really ride buses on real tracks. :D

If you google "Tokyo Honda Highway" only 2 results come up, both from that website you cite.

Google Translate -

Tokyo, July 25, Polyphony Digital invites us to a tour of their offices where we can see how they work, how they enjoy their free time, and try out the final version of the game. But one of the most interesting parts was interviewing the teacher, Kazunori Yamauchi, creator of the best-selling and award-winning driving saga in history, Gran Turismo.

Among several questions aimed at the way you work and watch video games, and your professional life as a pilot, we take the opportunity to ask you something that users have asked a lot about the game: has the sound of wheels and motors changed at last?

The answer is a resounding yes, it has improved in a way that is hard to believe. Yamauchi was very excited about the new audio processing system. According to his words, in the previous installments, the audio of the real models in studio was recorded, and they were taken to the game, with more or less fidelity, but that has historically supposed a ballast because in the sound that we perceive in a car there is a Physical sensation that you can not put into a recording.

That's why the new audio system goes through three parts:

In the first part, they record the audios of the cars in the best possible conditions, with several microphones, which is basically the same as has been done so far. Phases two and three are involved here.

In the second phase, we wonder why the audio we recorded sounds so different from the one we heard with our ears in a real car. The answer is because our brain only listens to what it wants to hear, eliminating automatically different frequencies and sounds. To achieve this effect in the game, this audio is captured, filtered with a special Sony equipment that recognizes what is undesirable noise and the sound itself, the tones are better marked and modulated to make it look as good as possible To the real. But there is still no such physical sensation of sound.

That's why in stage three the rest of the sound is recorded while the car is running while driving, eliminating engine noise and adding the resulting sounds to the phase two motor. Then another program developed by Polyphony is used to simulate the moments in which those sounds should be heard.

Thus we have the sound with the crunching of the gearshift, the explosions of the exhaust, the vibration of the tires on the asphalt or the chassis, the noise of the air hitting against our car, etc ... leaving a spectacular result in which everything Sounds real. The tires when they lose grip now also sound much more real and not with that chirp so characteristic and hated of the saga until now.

This delivery includes a new track on the Tokyo Honda Highway never seen before which we had occasion to travel in real life, in bus that yes, but it is incredible the fidelity achieved even in the sound, since in some sections it has some sound tracks Very characteristics that are shaped in the game to perfection, with a deaf and deep blow when we pass over them.

n the blows against other cars has also improved a lot compared to the beta we could test a couple of months ago, now the body crunches, the metallic sound is more pronounced and real. Those who have tested the closed beta, you know that the sound has improved a lot to the previous releases, but what you will find in the final game goes a step further.

We can not assure right now that it is the game with the most spectacular sound, because games like Forza or Project Cars have set the bar very high, but of course it is the most faithful with the reality within the saga and will satisfy all those Who criticized this aspect of the game.

Been reading this thread from the start.I must say the sounds have really improved in this Gran Turismo. I'm really impressed by it. Now people can't snicker and poke fun, make Dyson comments at one of my favourite games. Good work PD,can only get better and improve from here on out.

I can't believe im seeing this damage control again after GT5 & GT6, this is why it won't improve.
There's the handful of cars that sound good but majority sound awful.
Its like they've just added transmission whine over previous sounds.
The cars sound like they have jet engines.
Assetto Corsa and DiRT Rally nail sound so why can't Polyphony?

Example, a car with a unique sound such as a Subaru Impreza, this would sound more at home in WipeOut!

It's the same blind faith, technical sound quotes, "all other games are over exaggerated" and excuses we all went through 10 years ago leading up to GT5.
10 YEARS! and we're still having to make excuses.
My personal opinion is that Kaz must be modelling the sound on what he hears when he is fully kitted up with ear plugs, fire retardant head gear and helmet.
In that situation you most likely would just hear very muffled engine/exhaust noise and mainly just transmission whine.
It doesn't make you WANT to drive in a game though.
Assetto Corsa i just want to drive more and more listening to those beautiful engine sounds.

I just want GranTurismo to be where it should be - At the top.

Last edited:
I can tell the above is an older Beta spec build. The new builds have the aqua apex markers rather the green triangle ones.
The sound engine is different in the newer builds, that the press got to see

If you compare the GTR Nismo in the new builds vs the beta ones, there is a difference

It still sucks. What i don´t get it is sound could be something objective, like listening to the real car and then the game and comparing, but somehow people hear these GTS clips and say "sound is much improved, it´s very good".

I really don´t get it, it sounds nothing like other games or real life, yet people keep praising it.

I guess we just agree to disagree then, because no matter which video i play, they all sound sterile and artificial. Too much wind noise on a closed room, it´s what comes to mind.

Yeah, from what I'm hearing the sounds have only somewhat improved over GT6. They still haven't achieved parity even with games made ten years ago.

One thing in particular that bugs me is that there's still no echoing to be found when driving through tunnels, or anywhere else for that matter. This was something they brought back in GT6 in an update after not having it in GT5. I dare say GTSport could actually learn some things from GT4 (echoes, shifting delay in manuals and even some things not sound related), and that's saying something.

I can't believe im seeing this damage control again after GT5 & GT6, this is why it won't improve.
There's the handful of cars that sound good but majority sound awful.
Its like they've just added transmission whine over previous sounds.
The cars sound like they have jet engines.
Assetto Corsa and DiRT Rally nail sound so why can't Polyphony?

Example, a car with a unique sound such as a Subaru Impreza, this would sound more at home in WipeOut!

It's the same blind faith, technical sound quotes, "all other games are over exaggerated" and excuses we all went through 10 years ago leading up to GT5.
10 YEARS! and we're still having to make excuses.
My personal opinion is that Kaz must be modelling the sound on what he hears when he is fully kitted up with ear plugs, fire retardant head gear and helmet.
In that situation you most likely would just hear very muffled engine/exhaust noise and mainly just transmission whine.
It doesn't make you WANT to drive in a game though.
Assetto Corsa i just want to drive more and more listening to those beautiful engine sounds.

I just want GranTurismo to be where it should be - At the top.

GT won't be on top, at least for a very long time. If PD wants to on top again, they'll have to have the best, most realistic physics engine as well. But that won't sit well with the casuals, who is PD's target audience.

Personally, GT doesn't need to the best. It doesn't need to be the most realistic sounding and driving racing game out there for me to enjoy it.

GT won't be on top, at least for a very long time. If PD wants to on top again, they'll have to have the best, most realistic physics engine as well. But that won't sit well with the casuals, who is PD's target audience.

Personally, GT doesn't need to the best. It doesn't need to be the most realistic sounding and driving racing game out there for me to enjoy it.
Well maybe they should stop calling it The Real Driving Simulator..

Its success came because of its realism,and why many of us fell in love with it.

Well maybe they should stop calling it The Real Driving Simulator..

Its success came because of its realism,and why many of us fell in love with it.
I don't think anyone takes the "The Real Driving Simulator" slogan serious anymore.
And I don't think PD is aiming to be a simulator type game, judging from the past few games. They're aiming for more of a watered down simulator that still contains arcady elements. I think PD have realized that if they want to generate the most amount of profits possible, they have to market towards the largest audience, the casuals.

Iv'e heard the latest build, so let me share my thoughts. I will break it down by sections. Car wise. Though i won't go too in depth, like track sound ambiance sound, aka "race room" effect.

Exhaust: cars have a more true to life tone in their respective chase views, gone are the wispy vaccum suction sounds. You can tell right away that the cars were reccorded under load. Sounds night and day even compared to the current beta.

Intake mixing: similar to forza series, interior view brings a deeper bellow from the intake of the engine, if you've driven an N300 genesis coupe on the beta in the latest build, it's even way better than that.

Gear changes: the biggest improvement of all, cars no longer shift like the sound layer instantly changed to a lower or higher rpm pitch, gearing has a clutch like sound, where the rpms also hang depending on where your revs are, it's an entirely different sound design, which sounds similar to horizon 3, without that weird engine wobble sound.

Other: Exhaust pops and crackles, chassis squeaks: production cars now have them, ie the GT3 RS, they're extremely loud on race cars.

This is all i know for now.

My takeaway impressions are, i am thuroughly impressed with the sounds, everything adds up to a very entertaining experience, and dare i say sounds extremely good.

Iv'e heard the latest build, so let me share my thoughts. I will break it down by sections. Car wise. Though i won't go too in depth, like track sound ambiance sound, aka "race room" effect.

Exhaust: cars have a more true to life tone in their respective chase views, gone are the wispy vaccum suction sounds. You can tell right away that the cars were reccorded under load. Sounds night and day even compared to the current beta.

Intake mixing: similar to forza series, interior view brings a deeper bellow from the intake of the engine, if you've driven an N300 genesis coupe on the beta in the latest build, it's even way better than that.

Gear changes: the biggest improvement of all, cars no longer shift like the sound layer instantly changed to a lower or higher rpm pitch, gearing has a clutch like sound, where the rpms also hang depending on where your revs are, it's an entirely different sound design, which sounds similar to horizon 3, without that weird engine wobble sound.

Other: Exhaust pops and crackles, chassis squeaks: production cars now have them, ie the GT3 RS, they're extremely loud on race cars.

This is all i know for now.

My takeaway impressions are, i am thuroughly impressed with the sounds, everything adds up to a very entertaining experience, and dare i say sounds extremely good.
I have a little mixed feeling about the intake mixing, for me (my taste) it almost feels like it is non existent (it even misses the sound of the motor fans when a car is on iddle): from whichever structure the engine of the car contains (be an 4 cylinder, inline 6, v6, v8, v10 or v12 and so on) it misses the unique character (soundwise each unique car makes) and in comparison it sounds flat, sterile and lifeless. During the reving of a car itself (great for them to add that redline limiter sound effect) it feels the engine/ intake volume stays at the same tone just increasing in pitch (making it sound very stale). I would have loved if they could properly rise the volume of the engine note during rev increasing.

About anything else like the respective sound of the chase views I can agree on. Nonetheless things like the fixed gear change and other sound effects shown is a very much welcome addition.

The street cars sound good to me now, but the race cars are not there, especially the rally ones

Mclaren 650s at 0:50

Last edited:
PD have to balance the right amount between whining gearbox and engine sound.
This video shows this at the perfect level.

Sadly, PD doesn't have the right sound for the gearbox whine, which in the beta, much like GT6, was an annoying drone/whining that sounded nothing like a real straight cut gearbox. I suspect many complaints about the "gearbox whine" will go away if it actually sounded like the real thing.

Back