The Sunday Cup...Lotus Club GT...Open 

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTP_ADE
  • 5,926 comments
  • 450,896 views
POST RACE ENQUIRY.

Following Sunday's race an incident has been bought to my attention. It occurred near the end of lap 2. Capt_D was leading Happysyvia and Dowlin through the last tunnel. As the 3 came to the final chicane, all were in the correct track positions for the first left hander of the turn.


GrandValleySpeedway_1_zpsb4ef2b99.jpg

Heading towards the right hand section of the turn, Capt_D clearly has the right line and track position.

GrandValleySpeedway_4_zpsd76259c4.jpg


GrandValleySpeedway_5_zps51c05cd5.jpg

But then Happysylvia appears to cut in sharply to the inside right of Capt_D.

GrandValleySpeedway_6_zps35cf4d9f.jpg


GrandValleySpeedway_7_zps63990a5b.jpg

And clips Capt_D's right rear.

GrandValleySpeedway_8_zps8127394a.jpg

Causing Capt_D to be pushed to the left side of the track.

GrandValleySpeedway_9_zpsa0816d5c.jpg


GrandValleySpeedway_10_zps475f4817.jpg

The result of this was that Capt_D lost 2 places coming out of the chicane, to both Happysyvia and Dowlin. Having viewed the replay several times from all cars point of view, it is obvious that the pass should not have been taken in this manner, and that Happysyvia should have given the place back to Capt_D at the earliest, safest place, even if it meant giving a position away to Dowlin. Please note that Dowlin played no part in this incident.

The cutting of the corner was dubious, at the very least, but getting past another driver in this manner, and then not conceding the place cannot go without warning.

Having watched most of the rest of the race, it is impossible to tell if the final result would have been affected by this. Capt_D continued his race, and ended up in an epic duel with Cobani and Hancoclc, and finished in 3rd place.

The Sunday Cup is not governed by the GTPlanet OLR (We do sometimes swear on the mics), but we do follow their regs when it comes to clean driving, safe passing, corner cutting and giving back positions after gaining an unfair advantage. Below are some points from the OLR which I think cover what occurred.

01: OLR General Rules:
H:
The position of other drivers must always be respected.
J:
Cutting the chicanes or "shorting" the track at any point is strictly prohibited on all parts of the track, including the asphalt-areas in behind out-of track-lines. Track specific boundaries will be clarified in the Race Specifics section of any given event.

07: Contact Concessions:
A:
If there’s contact between drivers that results in the guilty driver making up places on the innocent driver, the guilty driver should immediately allow the innocent driver to pass freely to re-establish their position. This rule should be observed, even if it means the guilty driver has to allow drivers not involved in the incident to pass while waiting for the driver they contacted.

08: Corner Rights:
A:
When approaching the turn/apex of turn, the car which "holds" the inner side of turn has entrance-advantage and other driver(s) must refrain from endangering him by his actions.
B:
You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.


Happysylvia will recieve a warning for this incident, with no further action. But any further instances may result in points being deducted, or disqualification from the race.
 
Last edited:
Special note for Goodwolf who tried everything to join the lobby: Respect and we'll try to figure out a way to make it work!

Cobani's Race Report: SC3 - Race 1, Grand Valley Speedway
The build-up to season 3 was pretty intens and allthough pre-season testing did not entirely go according to plan with me
setting times around 5th/6th place, making some last minute setup changes gave me 4th on the grid which I was very happy with ...


SC3-R1-001_zpsea04ddc9.jpg

A lovely grid waits for the start of The Sunday Cup - Season 3 ...

SC3-R1-002_zpsbadda4de.jpg

14 beautifull Evora's scream towards turn 1 ...

SC3-R1-003_zpsd562ad2d.jpg

The level of racecraft was top-notch, as all came through ...

SC3-R1-004_zps60f9e4f2.jpg

The top 4 (Dan, Jim, Hancoclc and me) got a break as we were on the softer tyre ...

SC3-R1-005_zpsdc753f7b.jpg

Gary followed on the harder tyre at the beautifull Grand Valley Speedway ...

SC3-R1-006_zps7c78234b.jpg

Going through the tunnel barely keeping up with the leaders ...

SC3-R1-007_zps723d7e83.jpg

Jim spins out in turn one ...

SC3-R1-008_zpsb15a9ba3.jpg

A rare look insight the office of the double and reigning world champion ... (yeah baby!) ;)

SC3-R1-009_zps3c1d62e0.jpg

I'm loosing a few tenths a lap on pure race pace to the leaders ...

SC3-R1-010_zps515b36a2.jpg

Keeping a steady pace doing my best to keep clear of 4th ...

SC3-R1-011_zps09e547a6.jpg

Driving in No Man's Land admiring the scenery ...

SC3-R1-012_zps259588d2.jpg

As Dan and Hancoclc pit, I inherit the lead ...

SC3-R1-013_zpseb7e0fd2.jpg

Heavy thinking inside the cockpit to adjust my strategy ...

SC3-R1-014_zps3c6e58eb.jpg

Opting to stay out and try to gain track position ...

SC3-R1-015_zps91dc6f98.jpg

Dan caught up just before the second round of pitstops ...

SC3-R1-016_zpsc12756d6.jpg

With his superior pace he made a clean move to regain the lead ...

SC3-R1-017_zpse88f96a5.jpg

The only pitstop for the harder compound with Hancoclc right behind me ...

SC3-R1-018_zps0dcb555d.jpg

Gary closing in with his worn softer tyres ...

SC3-R1-019_zps6ba6d261.jpg

The beginning of an epic battle ...

SC3-R1-020_zps7db0bc31.jpg

Worn softs vs. Fresh hards down the straight ...

SC3-R1-021_zpsbd5704d2.jpg

I'm making my Lotus as wide as I can make her ...

SC3-R1-022_zpsd48770bb.jpg

Different lines trying to outwit each other ...

SC3-R1-023_zps33943f69.jpg

The last laps of the race were intens ...

SC3-R1-024_zpsdc4d6628.jpg

Side by side, sliding around, looking for grip ...

SC3-R1-025_zps6022a154.jpg

Going through the kink not wanting to give way ...

SC3-R1-026_zps4aabeeef.jpg

Pure awesomeness ...

SC3-R1-027_zps1c002cd2.jpg

Extremely hard, but fair driving with Hancoclc ready to strike ...

SC3-R1-028_zpsb6823970.jpg

Gary kept my mirrors full ...

SC3-R1-029_zpsc5af51db.jpg

Diving into the first corner for the final time ...

SC3-R1-030_zps4b5850f1.jpg

Gary sticking his nose inside by the hairpin ...

SC3-R1-031_zpsd248095e.jpg

Another try exiting the tunnel ...

SC3-R1-032_zps1fed1bb9.jpg

Crossing the finish line in second place ...

An amazing season opener with breathtaking action, great racing and strategy.
Congratulations to Dan for dealing with the pressure as favorite for the win.



As for my encounter with Gary ...
SC3-R1-033_zps0725a9c0.jpg

I've been racing online for about 1,5 years now and I met Gary at TCR. We've been racing together ever since and always had loads of fun. I find it a pleasure to race with every single one of you gentlemen, but if I had to pick one moment during the past 1,5 years of online racing, this epic battle would be it. I was on the edge of my capabilities as we raced for multiple laps, fighting over every inch of tarmac, all extremely fair and with the utmost of respect.
Thank you Gary.
 
Hello Ade,
I owe an apology to Capt_D for the push/bump. This was NOT intentional. As I recall I miss the braking point looking behind at the Dowlin "green machine" :dunce:coming up behind me and caused me to take the inside line soon which lead me on the grass that cause the accident. I was soo into the race , I forgot to slow down to let Capt_D pass me:guilty:. As I raced with most of you in the past this is not my style of racing and the warning is very well noted.
 
Amazing pics Bo.. Really enjoyed your write up also. 👍
 
Hello Ade,
I owe an apology to Capt_D for the push/bump. This was NOT intentional. As I recall I miss the braking point looking behind at the Dowlin "green machine" :dunce:coming up behind me and caused me to take the inside line soon which lead me on the grass that cause the accident. I was soo into the race , I forgot to slow down to let Capt_D pass me:guilty:. As I raced with most of you in the past this is not my style of racing and the warning is very well noted.

Here is two clips that shows the incident. Apologies for bad quality.



 
Nice pictures and review guys:tup:
Glad to see some of the race which you all enjoyed so much.

About the incident:
it seams(by the replay) that happysilvia lost control for a moment wich is not that bad and only mistake is that he should give his position back to Captain
 
I was on the edge of my capabilities as we raced for multiple laps, fighting over every inch of tarmac, all extremely fair and with the utmost of respect.
Thank you Gary.

The thanks go to you Bo, always a pleasure to race with you. :cheers: Great pics too by yourself and GC Gary, and some amazing shots from Omnius in his link to the CORE GT series. 👍


I owe an apology to Capt_D for the push/bump. This was NOT intentional. As I recall I miss the braking point looking behind at the Dowlin "green machine" :dunce:coming up behind me and caused me to take the inside line soon which lead me on the grass that cause the accident. I was soo into the race , I forgot to slow down to let Capt_D pass me:guilty:.

Thanks happy 👍
 
About the incident:
it seams(by the replay) that happysilvia lost control for a moment wich is not that bad and only mistake is that he should give his position back to Captain

This ^ 👍

Also I think most of that contact was due to lag. :ouch:
 
Special note for Goodwolf who tried everything to join the lobby: Respect and we'll try to figure out a way to make it work!.

Awesome pics as usual Cobani. Yours along with GC255's are now on the facebook page.

Do you have any suggestions on how we can help Goodwolf?

I find it a pleasure to race with every single one of you gentlemen, but if I had to pick one moment during the past 1,5 years of online racing, this epic battle would be it. I was on the edge of my capabilities as we raced for multiple laps, fighting over every inch of tarmac, all extremely fair and with the utmost of respect.
Thank you Gary.

I am pleased that The Sunday Cup has given you this experience.👍👍👍

Ade, question? - How do you get your lads to do photoshoots in the SC??? :rolleyes:

I am not sure Omnius, they just post them, and I love it.

Well judging by the comments and pics, the long wait for S3 has been worth it. All the practice paid off for some. I am so pleased you all had a great racing experience, and its only just begun.

Practice for race 2 begins this weekend guys. Double bill of Motegi on Saturday and Sunday, 8.00pm. Usual short race format. 👍👍👍
 
Love the pics and race reports. Cobani is still number one, if I may say so.

Ade I'll be online in half an hour. If you won't we can try something tomorrow. Thanks. :)
 
Ade I'll be online in half an hour. If you won't we can try something tomorrow. Thanks. :)

Ahh mate, just logged out. I will be back on tomorrow at 8.00pm though. 👍

Ran my first trial laps at Motegi tonight in my lobby, only used the medium tyre, and the same set up as Grand Valley. Managed a 1:31.2xx, with loads more to come off. I reckon I can get down to the low 30's. This is much lower than the times I managed when working out the race calender. I would therefore like to increase the laps at the Motegi race to 40, with a minimum of 10 on the hard tyre. This should give us the magic 1 hour race.

Whats everyone think???
 
I see no problem with more laps.
More tarmac to chew. Tasty :-)
 
40 works for me. sucks i did not do a tune for the last race and was down 20 hp!!:crazy:

again sorry Rosen spent to much time on the hards and lost control under breaking in turn one!!:scared:
 
40 it is then racers. I will update the graphics later tonight. Some of the other races may be subject to change like this so we get a good hours racing.

I will be opening a lobby shortly to see if I can get a good connection with Goodwolf. I will be on until about 9.00pm if anyone fancy's a few laps.


Edit. Opened the lobby at 8.15pm, and was joined by Goodwolf at 8.25. No problems with him getting in, and no DC's. Ran a few practice laps at Motegi, then had 4 lap 2 races. There was no lag from Goodwolf, and it seemed like a nice solid connection.

After a bit of research I had changed my room settings to race quality low, and voice chat very low. There was no difference to the race quality, but Goodwolf did struggle to hear me at times.

Now the real test will come in a busy room. I now know that it isnt the connection between Goodwolf and myself that caused his connection issues last race. Hopefully we will find out at practice over the weekend. I will use the same room settings as I did tonight.

My best lap in free run tonight was 1:30.600, so an improvement from yesterday.

Also, new Motegi race graphic with extended laps. OP also updated with this on the race calender.

NEXTRACE-2_zpse5926315.png
 
Last edited:
How about I host it for testers? Using your room?
 
How about I host it for testers? Using your room?

Thats a good call, as you have fibre optic, your connection would be very good.👍
 
GTP_ADE
Thats a good call, as you have fibre optic, your connection would be very good.👍

Right we'll do that the next time you're doing a practice...I'll join your room (obviously you can still set it up the way you want - I'll just be at the top of the list hopefully providing a connection Goodwolf will be able to connect to) but if I'm correct, whoever 'opens' a room, you act as the host, so it's your connection everyone joins??
 
GT5 works by sending your position information to every other participant in the race. As such, no matter how good your own connection is, it will get dragged down to the slowest connection in the group. Its also a reason why multicontinental starting fields are horrible connection wise, it lags the entire room since one slow sender delays everyone because they wait for his data. Examples are what happend between me and Dowlin last race in CGT. Our connection was slow between us (we lagged for each other) but fine to the rest. Don't ask me how to resolve it thought, I'm no expert on this (struggling myself with lots of PSN disconnects mid race recently)
 
It is important that first 3 in lobby have the best possible connection(upload) then others can come in.
 
This is a bit off of the current topic but, I've been active in this thread for a couple of months and shared my 1st race with all you guys this weekend just gone.
It's been a few days and I believe I can now quantify something I feel I want to say.

I first happened across this thread whilst searching for an online racing group in the clubs and leagues section on the gtplanet app. It was around the end of S1 so I disregarded it for the most part, as I thought that would be the end of the thread. How wrong was I? The thread continued after the season and talk of S2 began.
I can't recall if there were any special one off races held between seasons but it was at this point I subscribed.
I thought perhaps I'd give it a shot.
But as usual with me my own self doubt crept in, "what would they want with a n00b like me joining their series", "you would last 5 minutes", I'd tell myself. So I took a back seat and watched the thread.
My first impression was that of a tight knit well acquainted group of like minded people. Some of the draws of the thread itself was the banter, the support and probably most important the interactive nature of all involved. Supplying pictures and tuning advice and so on. If one person was having problems someone would most likely lend a hand or helpful suggestion.
I was happy just to he a silent voyeur.
As time passed I found myself having favorites within the group Ade and Omnius being said individuals.
Then S2 ended, I felt I might fit into this clique, so, keen to try and prove myself, I'd set up a car matching the upcoming race spec in the interim period of S2 and S3 and run some laps of the track and see how they stack up against the fastest laps of the regulars competing. I was surprised to see I wasn't that far off pace.
Then 24 laps of le mans happened, I made my presence known and decided to give something back to those that had entertained me for 6+ months so well. I don't regret it.

Ade, You've created something special which I am proud to now be a part of. I hope your muse continues to bestow great ideas to you and that you breathe life into them to share with others.

Cobani, A picture speaks a thousand words. Your albums tell a story no race report can do. I've no intention of stealing your crown, I'm just here to supplement it and try to add to the whole.

And to everyone. Thankyou for accepting me into your group.

See you at Motegi east.
 
This is a bit off of the current topic but, I've been active in this thread for a couple of months and shared my 1st race with all you guys this weekend just gone.
It's been a few days and I believe I can now quantify something I feel I want to say.

I first happened across this thread whilst searching for an online racing group in the clubs and leagues section on the gtplanet app. It was around the end of S1 so I disregarded it for the most part, as I thought that would be the end of the thread. How wrong was I? The thread continued after the season and talk of S2 began.
I can't recall if there were any special one off races held between seasons but it was at this point I subscribed.
I thought perhaps I'd give it a shot.
But as usual with me my own self doubt crept in, "what would they want with a n00b like me joining their series", "you would last 5 minutes", I'd tell myself. So I took a back seat and watched the thread.
My first impression was that of a tight knit well acquainted group of like minded people. Some of the draws of the thread itself was the banter, the support and probably most important the interactive nature of all involved. Supplying pictures and tuning advice and so on. If one person was having problems someone would most likely lend a hand or helpful suggestion.
I was happy just to he a silent voyeur.
As time passed I found myself having favorites within the group Ade and Omnius being said individuals.
Then S2 ended, I felt I might fit into this clique, so, keen to try and prove myself, I'd set up a car matching the upcoming race spec in the interim period of S2 and S3 and run some laps of the track and see how they stack up against the fastest laps of the regulars competing. I was surprised to see I wasn't that far off pace.
Then 24 laps of le mans happened, I made my presence known and decided to give something back to those that had entertained me for 6+ months so well. I don't regret it.

Ade, You've created something special which I am proud to now be a part of. I hope your muse continues to bestow great ideas to you and that you breathe life into them to share with others.

Cobani, A picture speaks a thousand words. Your albums tell a story no race report can do. I've no intention of stealing your crown, I'm just here to supplement it and try to add to the whole.

And to everyone. Thankyou for accepting me into your group.

See you at Motegi east.



Gary, its post like these that make it all worthwhile. To know that we have had spectators throughout is awesome in itself. The Sunday Cup has come a long way in its first year, and I am really pleased that racers have come back for more, as well as new members coming in to see what its all about. The support I have had through the thread has been exceptional, and although it does take me an immense amount of time to do, it is so worth it. The Sunday Cup is my hobby, and if you guys like it, I will keep on going.👍👍👍
 
This is a bit off of the current topic but, I've
I thought perhaps I'd give it a shot.
But as usual with me my own self doubt crept in, "what would they want with a n00b like me joining their series", "you would last 5 minutes", I'd tell myself.

That's how I got started with CORE GT as well, stacked up fairly well and swept over to SC mid Season1 due to the same guys participating. Sadly the S2 and S3 cars aren't/weren't really warming up to me. That little Elise '96 was a real joy to drive, definitely needs a comeback!
 
This is a bit off of the current topic but, I've been active in this thread for a couple of months and shared my 1st race with all you guys this weekend just gone.
It's been a few days and I believe I can now quantify something I feel I want to say...

...See you at Motegi east.

What a beatiful post! 👍👍:):)
 
Whilst I am waiting confirmation on the championship prizes, I would like to bring something new to The Sunday Cup. GTPlanet user, and race host VBR very kindly contacted me with a link where you can create virtual trophies. Big thanks VBR 👍👍👍. From now on, after each race, the podium sitters will receive their own personalized virtual trophy from the respective race. I will post the trophies on the thread, and also PM them to recipients the day after the race when I publish the results. So here's the trophies from last Sunday.

DAN_zps3aa7d19a.png


COBANI_zps801f5cdb.png


CAPT_zps9d8b1993.png

This weekends double bill of Motegi practice will begin at 8.00pm tonight.
 
Last edited:
Back