Danny

Code Red
Premium
United Kingdom
Scarfolk
Grim10
Are you kidding?
Does anyone here at GTP like tennis?

I play tennis quite a lot. I have a good forehand but my backhand is innaccurate.

Can anyone offer help or advice?

I watch tennis a lot but I don't get chance to play much anymore. I'm not a bad player but I get tired quickly sometimes.

Anyway, if you want to improve your technique, I suggest watching matches involving Agassi or Federer, both almost technically perfect. To get your backhands accurate, you need to line it up, get your feet in the correct position (watch Federer for footwork - absolutely stunning), and then play it with a full follow-through. That should help to improve your accuracy. Just make sure you practice as much as you can. :)

Thanks for the tips!

Just a quick question, what part of West Yorkshire are you from?

Watching Andy Murray against Richard Gasquet - unbelievable stuff... Gasquet was 2 sets up and had a service game for the match - somehow Murray broke Gasquet's serve and started playing like a total demon. We're now in the 5th set and Murray has just broken Gasquet's serve in the first game. Some of the shots Murray has pulled off tonight have been totally amazing :eek: And what's more, he's British.. *falls off chair and smacks head off the floor*

Gasquet's doing a great job of forcing Murray to play aggresively though. And full-on aggression is where Murray slips up so easily. It's a really risky place for Murray to be in, but it is indeed a fantastic game. Two guys I thought were pretty average are putting on a spectacular show. I almost feel bad for rooting for Gasquet. :P

:bowdown: to Andy Murray - utterly stunning comeback, esp. since Gasquet pushed him hard all the way... great game from both players 👍

I am learning to play tennis. I have lessons for about more than 1 hour two times per week.
Well, I would advise talking with a coach or something like that, as they sure know how to improve it. Maybe you can be doing it the wrong way. Just watching games isn’t enough. I watched and watch many games, and when I went to the field, I didn’t know how to “tackle correctly a ball”. But it is something I always (since my 11th) wanted to learn: Tennis. And finally, this year, they opened a court closer to my home :D 👍

I was watching the Murray - Gasquet match up until the end of set 2 and I went on GTR and turned off thinking nothing Murray could do would brake this confident little Frenchman.

But wow! Just wow I turned back over in the middle of set 3 and then he just came back. Amazing. Played some nice shots but Gasquet's head was shot along with his legs.

LdS
I am learning to play tennis. I have lessons for about more than 1 hour two times per week.
Well, I would advise talking with a coach or something like that, as they sure know how to improve it. Maybe you can be doing it the wrong way. Just watching games isn’t enough. I watched and watch many games, and when I went to the field, I didn’t know how to “tackle correctly a ball”. But it is something I always (since my 11th) wanted to learn: Tennis. And finally, this year, they opened a court closer to my home :D 👍

Thing is I don't have the patients to listen to a coach. Im a self taught tennis player as i am a guitarist. Maybe its just the ignorance of youth.

3 Summers ago I went up the local court I'd say 4 days a week for 3 hours a day with a friend of mine and that improved me a hell of alot. I entered a local tournament and came 5th out of 25 and I was the youngest one there. But then the court jacked up the price from £1.25 to £3 for 1 court for an hour. So I didnt bother as much. I haven't played tennis for nearly a year now but I sure feel like throwing on the dunlop's and grabbing my racket and playing again. Thing is there aren't any decent players to play and my racket would probably be stolen, that and I dont want to spend £4 to play for an hour.

Ill just rest on the memory that I could have been a decent player once upon a time. Im still young so who knows...

:eek:

Just watched the most astonishing Wimbledon final... almost 5 hours of the two best players the world has, and they certainly put on an epic display... Nadal has beaten Federer 6-4 6-4 6-7 6-7 9-7 in a game where he needed 4 Championship points to win... utterly amazing... So glad he won, after being 2 sets up and losing 2 match points in the 4th set... but he fought incredibly hard and pulled off the most amazing shots. Federer was awesome too, but (apart from maybe very early in the game), just couldn't break Nadal's serve... even in the two sets he won, and in the epic final set, Nadal just was unbreakable... Amazing stuff :bowdown:

Such a great final between those two, Rafa deserves that win, especially with those crazy forehand shots he pulled off. :cheers:

That was some final! I really wanted Rafa to win because it would be good to finally taste victory here. Loved how he started clambering all over the roofs to get to his parents! :sly: Was real edge of you seat stuff. If anyone hasnt watched it I suggest watching atleast the last hour of it because it was amazing how Federer would go down without a fight!

Robin

He didn't clamber on the roof for his parents, that was to get to the royal box. Briliant final, one of the best matches I've ever seen.

He didn't clamber on the roof for his parents, that was to get to the royal box.
It was both... he climbed up to his family first, and then walked over the roof to the royal box where some of the Spanish royal family were!

It was both... he climbed up to his family first, and then walked over the roof to the royal box where some of the Spanish royal family were!

Were I in the Wimbledon final, I'd make sure my folks are on the floor level. :lol:

I meant the higher roof, honest :sly:. I must have missed that bit, I only saw him climb to the very top and go to the royal box.

Amazing final, for both the mens and ladies. Venus and Nadal, both richly deserving of their wins.

I would have liked to see Federer retain his crown, but he was simply outplayed today. I'll still consider him to be the greatest tennis player in the game today, and it was extremely commendable of Rafa to say the same.

Well wimbledon has had it's effect and I'm going to play tennis for the first time since... well last wimbledon/summer. Shame it's abit rainy though, have to be the indoor courts.

W00T! Finally a club for me to join :D

I play tennis quite often with my girlfriend, she kicks ass in tennis!

Haven't played in a while though; the weather's very bad the last days, and my girlfriend's in Australia, followed by Hong Kong. And after that I'm going to Belgium so not that much tennis for me this summer :nervous:

Anyway, Danny, my backhand sucks as well. I can strike pretty hard with a forehand, but my backhand sucks. I'm more comfortable with a single handed backhand, but the accuracy is nowhere with single handed...

Its fun though, your girlfriend kicking your ass...(not so much fun then...), but my favourit part is when we walk back to our halfs and I get to watch her quite bottom, wearing that miniskirt :D

*EDIT*

All of a sudden, I became horny...

Went to the Medibank International (Sydney) on Monday and Tuesday. Awesome, I love watching tennis in real life. Go Nadal at the Aussie Open.

Awesome game, was up in time (what are the chances? :D ) to catch the whole final on BBC today, and what a game... Federer and Nadal have taken this sport to a whole new level, and both of them are not just a credit to their sport, but a credit to sport itself... Amazing athleticism and superb sportsmanship and professionalism from both. Nadal is a fearsome competitor, a brilliant athlete, and also appears to be a thoroughly nice guy... don't you just hate him? :P

Latest Posts

Back