The Tennis Thread!

• Thread starter Danny
  • 102 comments
Wow!
Unlucky to Andy, had a chance to win but bottled it.
Both guys were playing some unreal tennis!
Who will be the first to beat the Joker this year?
Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

:D

Li Na trounces Sharapova to become first Chinese lady to reach French Open Finals - whom will she meet? Watching Bartoli and Schiavone duke it out now.

These ladies are truly amazing . . .

Last edited:
Li Na trounces Sharapova to become first Chinese lady to reach Finals - whom will she meet? Watching Bartoli and Shiavone duke it out now.

These ladies are truly amazing . . .

Li Na has already reached a final in a Grand Slam. It was earlier this year at the Aussie Open, she lost to Kim Clijsters.

What an incredible match between Federer and Djokovic!!!! Uh . . . Talking about the 2011 French Open here . . . This thread goes back so long it brings back many memories.

OT : yes, Danny, just watching can teach one a lot. I guess by now, since it's been quite a while that you posted the OP, you may be quite a champ on the court now!

Fuzzy - Thanks for the heads up to the rest of the WWW about Li Na. Appreciate it.

And now . . . On to the Finals!

Shame to see Djokovic go out. I was beginning to wonder just how much longer he could go unbeaten.

Murray is so ridiculously over-hyped here because he's the only British player doing remotely well. He clearly hasn't got what it takes to win a grand slam, and always blames others, like his coaches and managers for his poor performances.

As long as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are still around, he's got no chance.

Shame to see Djokovic go out. I was beginning to wonder just how much longer he could go unbeaten.

Murray is so ridiculously over-hyped here because he's the only British player doing remotely well. He clearly hasn't got what it takes to win a grand slam, and always blames others, like his coaches and managers for his poor performances.
As long as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are still around, he's got no chance.

That's a load of nonsense you just said.

That's a load of nonsense you just said.
With the current crop of mens' tennis players I agree with him. Murray is a good player, he has a great variety of shots but I don't think he compares to the 3 men ranked above him.

And he does turn on his support when times get tough. That's a fact.

With the current crop of mens' tennis players I agree with him. Murray is a good player, he has a great variety of shots but I don't think he compares to the 3 men ranked above him.

Well he might be behind the top three, but he isn't that far off. He is a world class player and the stats show that. Winning a major isn't easy these days, the depth of the mens game is very strong.

And no it isn't a fact that he turns on his support when times get tough. He takes defeats on the chin, just like the other top players in the mens game.

Well he might be behind the top three, but he isn't that far off. He is a world class player and the stats show that. Winning a major isn't easy these days, the depth of the mens game is very strong.
I'm not denying he's world class, or that majors are hard to win, but there's isn't 1 but three players better than him, 2 of which are the same age as him.

And no it isn't a fact that he turns on his support when times get tough. He takes defeats on the chin, just like the other top players in the mens game.
True against top seeds, completely untrue when he struggles against players ranked 20 or so below him.

I have alot of respect for Andy Murray, and while he can be a moody get sometimes, I've never questioned his determination - unfortunately he just isn't at the same level as Nadal and Federer, and now Djokovic has managed to attain something like that incredible standard, it will be very difficult for Murray to win a Grand Slam unless he manages to step up one or two levels in the next year or so...

Federer and Nadal on the other hand, are simply different class. I've never seen a dull match between these two guys... Federer is incredible, but Nadal seems to have an answer for almost everything. And as I speak, Nadal has reversed a 5-2 lead in the French Open final to take the first set 7-5 :eek:

Absolutely jaw-dropping game on here between two of the most incredible champions of this game. The fight in the Bull Ring is probably keeping most every tennis fan in the world awe-struck. Very emotional . . .
As much as I have been a staunch Federer fan for years, I cannot help but admire the ferocious prodigy that is Rafa.
I just love the action between these two.
Hope the weather gods keep smiling. . .
Danny - hope you are watching. Great way to learn.
Posting off my iPhone so gotta go for now to conserve battery - but will back later.

Uh oh . . . Rain . . .

I'm not denying he's world class, or that majors are hard to win, but there's isn't 1 but three players better than him, 2 of which are the same age as him.

True against top seeds, completely untrue when he struggles against players ranked 20 or so below him.

:lol:

I think you need to follow Tennis alot more. There's only one other person who is the same age as him at the top of the mens game. (Novak Djokovic)

Tell me when was the last time he struggled against someone outside the worlds top 20 ?

You just haven't come up with constructive criticism yet I'm afraid.

I think you need to follow Tennis alot more. There's only one other person who is the same age as him at the top of the mens game. (Novak Djokovic)

Tell me when was the last time he struggled against someone outside the worlds top 20 ?

You just haven't come up with constructive criticism yet I'm afraid.
Sorry my mistake, Nadal's barely a year older :rolleyes:

Oh look, beaten by a young American.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9418961.stm

But wait, must have been an injury right? Always an injury to blame.

So you concede there are two players of the same age, and that he's lost to players outside the top 20. Fantastic.

Don't know what you was listening too. He blamed his movement, he didn't mention anything about an injury.
Ignorance is bliss.

BBC
Despite getting the first break of the match on Saturday, fifth seed Murray never looked comfortable and there were signs that he might be struggling with a knee problem.

And the comment on injury wasn't a dig at him alone, it was also excuses made by the British media in general for the lad.

So you concede there are two players of the same age, and that he's lost to players outside the top 20. Fantastic.

Ignorance is bliss.

And the comment on injury wasn't a dig at him alone, it was also excuses made by the British media in general for the lad.

Well I don't care what the British media say. You continue believing that nonsense. At the end of the day Andy Murray didn't make no excuses about an injury. Like I said, go and watch more Tennis and then come back with some constructive criticism.

Well I don't care what the British media say. You continue believing that nonsense. At the end of the day Andy Murray didn't make no excuses about an injury. Like I said, go and watch more Tennis and then come back with some constructive criticism.
I've been realistic and factual. You've managed neither.

Congrats Rafa!

More nonsense coming from you.

I'm afraid you just don't know anything about Tennis. 👍

Please point out where I've been wrong. Every point you've criticised so far has shown you to be wrong. Nice one!

Sorry my mistake, Nadal's barely a year older :rolleyes:

Oh look, beaten by a young American.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9418961.stm

But wait, must have been an injury right? Always an injury to blame.

I've been realistic and factual. You've managed neither.

Please point out where I've been wrong. Every point you've criticised so far has shown you to be wrong. Nice one!

Don't be foolish, the only one around here who is wrong is you.

With regards to any British Tennis player ever winning the Wimbledon grass championship....They haven't got a chance in hell at this current moment in time (in the men's game) if the media and the public keeps going on about THIS YEAR HE WILL WIN!!!!

He's not. End of.

With all the dangerous talent around and three of the very best tennis players around, one that has over-written most history books in the sport of tennis, the fiery Spanish dude who's just awesome at the moment and the Serbian who's a wonderkid this year with his (unfortunately now broken) win streak.....

I rate Murray's chances as pretty low to get to the Final.

Realistic? Yes. Pessimistic? Yes. Optimistic? No.

I refuse to believe the stupid media interest in Murray for another year.

Additionally, I just remembered hearing about Federer not attending this championship on the run up to Wimbledon (somewhere in Swiss or Germany?) and the Championship organiser being rather harsh and extremely critical of Federer dropping out of the championship/tournament.

Fuzzy: Another way of saying that you had an minor injury is by saying that you felt your movement was restricted and you weren't able to give 100% of your A game on the game. That is basically the "injury" that Exige was mentioning. Reading between the lines is required sometimes with players and the media writing.

Last edited:
I've actually started playing Tennis again and really enjoying it. Played A-Grade in High School, but was on a 4 year hiatus until a month or so ago when my mates (Though am coping **** about my racket choice) and I had a game and I caught the bug again. Excellent timing now Wimbledon is on now too.

I've actually started playing Tennis again and really enjoying it. Played A-Grade in High School, but was on a 4 year hiatus until a month or so ago when my mates (Though am coping **** about my racket choice) and I had a game and I caught the bug again. Excellent timing now Wimbledon is on now too.

I also play a bit, fancy a game?

It was tough to watch Hewitt loose up 2 sets to love last night...Damn he was so close, hope Tomic can win his suspended game tonight.

I'm really starting to enjoy tennis again. Went through a patch of about a month just grinding it out, feeling like it was a chore, but now I'm itching to play loads more. I didn't stop playing as I was playing for the Men's first team in the doubles leagues but not really having fun.
In a singles tourny tomorrow so wish me luck. :D
AS for racket choice, try and demo some rackets from a store. Some online shops here allow you to pay the full price as a deposit and you can return it if you're not keen. There was a shop in Germany that I was in that had a practice court upstairs and tonnes of demo rackets to try out. 👍

I also play a bit, fancy a game?

It was tough to watch Hewitt loose up 2 sets to love last night...Damn he was so close, hope Tomic can win his suspended game tonight.

I was gutted Hewitt lost. I really like him and enjoy watching him play. That diving backhand was ridiculous!

Amazed that Tomic beat Soderling last night! Couldn't believe my eyes watching the first set... Woke up and heard he won and just couldn't believe it.

Been an interesting tournament so far, makes me want to go out and play tennis again, haven't been playing much myself recently due to being scared of the cold. :P

After a bit of a drought got to watch some tennis again - and loving it. Great matches going on.
The Fish is in the Quarters! That serve . . . !
Watching two matches at the same time here: Del Potro giving Nadal some trouble. He's got really strong fan support.
Just caught Federer playing a tweener - which again reminded me why I love watching Federer. The guy is totally unpredictable - and superbly graceful to go with it.
The 'tween the legs shot was hilarious, though. He even cracked a bit of a smile on that poker face! LOL!
Yeah, watching these guys makes you want to go out and play.

I think for Tomic to beat Xavier, was even more incredible considering Soderling was a beaten man before the match even started against Tomic, Tomic seems to be mentally very strong, he doesnt get nervous on the big points and his ground strokes are so precise and also varied, he has the ability to change pace when the situation suits, can't wait for Djokovic match, If he can take a set off him that would be awesome.

Tomic is an amazing player. I am impressed. This guy is so young and has such a long way to go, yet already showing that he is a genius when it comes to placing a perfectly thought-out shot. Just absolutely great to watch - if you are really into tennis, this guy is the chess-player of tennis.

Well, my man Federer is knocked out. Shocking. Seemed rather bemused at that powerful forehand that Tsonga kept throwing at his backhand. Tsonga's strength is awesome - he could probably wrestle a rhino. Tsonga's forehand smash against Rafa's lefty return? Would be more than interesting to watch. Who will make it to the finals?

So happy I managed to catch the match between Federer and Tsonga, and watch a bit of Tomic.

Back