The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Last night a little bit of magic smoke escaped from my T500rs and I could smell burning. It’s still works but I need to check it out. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is it fixable?

Well if it still works then you are lucky . It could be anything, so there's nothing we could advise you here or tell what kind of smoke it was. It could be from dust that collected and burned , or a part that will show it's role under stress.
You could stress test the wheel with wheelcheck and a loop test to see how it behaves. It would also be a good idea to open and clean out the dust.

Well if it still works then you are lucky . It could be anything, so there's nothing we could advise you here or tell what kind of smoke it was. It could be from dust that collected and burned , or a part that will show it's role under stress.
You could stress test the wheel with wheelcheck and a loop test to see how it behaves. It would also be a good idea to open and clean out the dust.
It doesn’t look easy to take apart but I am considering it. I will give it a test when I get home today and see if it’s still ok.

Last night a little bit of magic smoke escaped from my T500rs and I could smell burning. It’s still works but I need to check it out. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is it fixable?

Take a look at some of my posts about 2 pages back. In my experience, it must have been a combination of dust burning off and one or both of the belts disintegrating from possible overheating. It would make sense for the rubber pieces to be a cause of the burning smell. Since I replaced my belts and upgraded my fan, I have not dealt with the same burning smell issue.

Could also have been an electrical short from some wiring, or maybe glue burning off. As already said, it could potentially be a lot of things, without seeing the condition of the wheel. But in my experience it was most likely the aging rubber belts.

IMG_20201206_183445.jpg
Hello. This is my first post here. I got a used Thrustmaster T500RS (V2) a few weeks ago. I opened it up today, just to discover lots of cut/broken rubber and plastic pieces inside. (It works completely fine though.) On digging in deeper, I discovered the covering for a bunch of wires in the middle coming off. It seems like it is the PS/2 cable that connects the buttons on the rim to the main PCB. What should I do about this?
IMG_20201206_182258.jpg
IMG_20201206_182319.jpg
IMG_20201206_182334.jpg
IMG_20201206_182417.jpg
IMG_20201206_182441.jpg
IMG_20201206_182613.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201206_182240.jpg
    IMG_20201206_182240.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20201206_182250.jpg
    IMG_20201206_182250.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I recently (As in 3 Days ago) purchase a new old stock T500RS from a local brick and mortar store (and atm out the money for it since they don't take returns on it.) I flipped the pedals to the GT Config, and setting everything up Thrustmaster's control panel on PC shows almost all the buttons being pressed at the same time. Has anyone else had this issue happen? I'm assuming the mainboard is dead, or something, due to this fact. The paddles (Buttons 1 and 2) and L3 and R3 (Buttons 11 and 12) are the only buttons I can press that register as being depressed once I let go. Also can't switch the mode of the pedals but I assume that's because the base is registering all the buttons being pressed.

I've already updated to the latest firmware along with rebooting into bootloader mode to reflash the latest update and it still does it. I've already contacted Thrustmaster to see if I can pay for them to either send me a replacement PCB or me send it to them so they can do it for me but I have to wait for them to respond.

This is what it looks like when I open the control panel on Windows.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I recently (As in 3 Days ago) purchase a new old stock T500RS from a local brick and mortar store (and atm out the money for it since they don't take returns on it.) I flipped the pedals to the GT Config, and setting everything up Thrustmaster's control panel on PC shows almost all the buttons being pressed at the same time. Has anyone else had this issue happen? I'm assuming the mainboard is dead, or something, due to this fact. The paddles (Buttons 1 and 2) and L3 and R3 (Buttons 11 and 12) are the only buttons I can press that register as being depressed once I let go. Also can't switch the mode of the pedals but I assume that's because the base is registering all the buttons being pressed.

I've already updated to the latest firmware along with rebooting into bootloader mode to reflash the latest update and it still does it. I've already contacted Thrustmaster to see if I can pay for them to either send me a replacement PCB or me send it to them so they can do it for me but I have to wait for them to respond.

This is what it looks like when I open the control panel on Windows.
You may have already done this but I'd try removing the wheel and reattaching it. They can act a bit funny if they're not quite on right or a bit loose.

You may have already done this but I'd try removing the wheel and reattaching it. They can act a bit funny if they're not quite on right or a bit loose.
I've tried removing the Wheel, and letting the Servo spin and all and it still recognizes the buttons being pressed without the wheel attached.

reach out to Thrustmaster support. You can find their email address on their website
I did after this post. I emailed them a few days ago and am now waiting for a response. What is their usual turn around time? And do they offer some sort of service to send the servo to them?

I have a T500RS and I'm trying to make it work with the PS5 games. Any idea of how to do this? The best would be that Thrustmaster make this also supported in PS5, but the other workaround I have thought is to use an Arduino or Raspberry Pi to try to make the PS5 think this is a T300 or TG-T, that are supported on PS5. Have any one of you done something similar?.

I have a T500RS and I'm trying to make it work with the PS5 games. Any idea of how to do this? The best would be that Thrustmaster make this also supported in PS5, but the other workaround I have thought is to use an Arduino or Raspberry Pi to try to make the PS5 think this is a T300 or TG-T, that are supported on PS5. Have any one of you done something similar?.
As far as I know, the T500 should work with any PS4 game that supports it on PS5 but it won’t work on a native PS5 game, you’ll need something like a DriveHub or ChornusMax. I’ve just bought a T-GT 2 servo for when I get PS5, it’s cheaper than buying a whole new set up. My T500 will go on a desk and be set up for PS4 and cross platform games.

As far as I know, the T500 should work with any PS4 game that supports it on PS5 but it won’t work on a native PS5 game, you’ll need something like a DriveHub or ChornusMax. I’ve just bought a T-GT 2 servo for when I get PS5, it’s cheaper than buying a whole new set up. My T500 will go on a desk and be set up for PS4 and cross platform games.
Rally sad to hear. My T500 still works perfectly and I refuse to buy a new wheel just because Thrustmaster doesn't want to have it licensed for PS5. Are you sure it will work with DriveHub or ChornusMax?

It’s been since GT5 or GT6 that I was able to update my T500rs. I have a laptop with Windows 10 on it. I’m on Thrustmasters website trying to find the software the configure, calibrate, and update drivers or firmware.

I’ve been at this for an hour and I’m getting pissed.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT: Found it!!!

Attachments

• 0B2AAFBE-579B-4F96-8919-73A82FBB38C2.jpeg
    0B2AAFBE-579B-4F96-8919-73A82FBB38C2.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Anyone with the F1 rim add-on for for T500RS get it to work with PS4/GT7? I put the original GT rim back on and it works immediately (in game on PS4 Pro) but with F1 wheel no buttons work in game. The wheel is "recognized" because controller settings shows the T500RS but wheel, buttons and pedals do nothing at all with F1 rim installed. The F1 rim works in GT6/PS3 so I don't think it's faulty, but curious if anyone else has same issue in GT7.

Last edited:
It’s been since GT5 or GT6 that I was able to update my T500rs. I have a laptop with Windows 10 on it. I’m on Thrustmasters website trying to find the software the configure, calibrate, and update drivers or firmware.

I’ve been at this for an hour and I’m getting pissed.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT: Found it!!!
If you have the TM suite installed, just got the start and down to Thrustmaster FFB Wheel and choose firmware update

Rally sad to hear. My T500 still works perfectly and I refuse to buy a new wheel just because Thrustmaster doesn't want to have it licensed for PS5.
I guess Thrustmaster don't feel it is financially viable to licence a 12 year old racing wheel on PS5. It is disappointing of course but when licence fees have to be paid for consoles, manufacturers are always going to consider the profit/loss consideration of such licences.

If you have the TM suite installed, just got the start and down to Thrustmaster FFB Wheel and choose firmware update
I was able get the firmware situated on with the laptop. In GT7, my wheel feels a bit odd, before and after the update. I don’t know if it’s the game physics, my lack of muscle memory, in-game settings, or something that can be addressed in the TM Control Panel. Basically, I’m fighting with the wheel. In GT6, I always played with FFB and detail set at 7. In GT7 on PS4, I MUST have both relatively low to be able to control the car from swinging to and fro. Are there adjustments that can be made in the app that apply to the console?

Drive smoothly? Yeah right, that’s utterly NOT possible at the moment. Needless to say, I’m not having fun.

Last edited:
Do the Pedals from the T150 (2 Pedal Plastic Set) work on a T500 RS? I know it doesn't make sense buid quality wise, but i got a T500 from Fleamarket without Pedals and i have a T150. When i plug the T150 Pedals to the T500 only the brake Pedal works, the accel pedal is not working. So i'm not sure if the connector on the T500 is faulty or the pedals are not compatible. Thanks and best regards.

Last edited:
Do the Pedals from the T150 (2 Pedal Plastic Set) work on a T500 RS? I know it doesn't make sense buid quality wise, but i got a T500 from Fleamarket without Pedals and i have a T150. When i plug the T150 Pedals to the T500 only the brake Pedal works, the accel pedal is not working. So i'm not sure if the connector on the T500 is faulty or the pedals are not compatible. Thanks and best regards.
they'll work fine, any analog pedals can/will work ie G27 pedals with an adapter ( available from TM )

Are you sure about that? Maybe my writing was incorrect. I plugged the T150 Pedals to the T500 and the Accel Pedal doesn't work. On the T150 the Pedals work fine, so it's not the pedals. Could it be the Pedal Connector on the T500? How would i find out? i was planning to buy an adapter for my G27 Pedals, but since i'm not sure if the T500 is faulty, i hesitate to buy the adapter. best regards.

Are you sure about that? Maybe my writing was incorrect. I plugged the T150 Pedals to the T500 and the Accel Pedal doesn't work. On the T150 the Pedals work fine, so it's not the pedals. Could it be the Pedal Connector on the T500? How would i find out? i was planning to buy an adapter for my G27 Pedals, but since i'm not sure if the T500 is faulty, i hesitate to buy the adapter. best regards.
Have you tried holding down the mode button? (on left front of servo) It usually used to change from normal organ pedal style to inverted GT style (it switches the clutch and accelerator). The light goes from green to red depending on mode.

Last edited:
Back