The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Thanks, one more question! :) - Making sure I cover all the bases before I spend and my GF kills me.

Is it a problem that the paddle shifters don't rotate with the wheel? Does it not mean that your hands are sometimes not able to downshift whilst turning (if needs be).

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=3&fid=15&pid=317&cid=12
Official Thrustmaster statement on T500 and PS4. Very straightforward.

The fixed paddles are huge and have a lovely solid click. I bought my T500 with the extra GTE rim as well, but found the fixed paddles are actually fine. Almost all shifts you can reach the paddles. Occasionally if you need to shift with the wheel turned around 90 degrees you would need to take a hand off the rim, but that situation is very rare. And you get used to doing that anyway.

I found I preferred the stock 30cm diameter rim and fixed paddles over the 28cm GTE rim and moving paddles, and have barely used my GTE rim. But if I were more of an open wheeler fan I'd probably prefer the GTE or F1 rims with moving paddles for that type of car.

FYI. No conical brake mod available for existing T500RS users.

Bummer. Just got this response from Thrustmaster and confirm that conical brake mod not available to be purchased separately. :banghead::(

"We thank you for your interest in Thrustmaster products and for reaching us regarding your inquiry.
The conical, rubber, realistic brake module is not available as a standalone component and consequently we cannot assist you with the acquisition of it.
We thank you for your understanding and we rest at your disposal for any other inquiries."

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/thrustmaster-t3pa-pro-t3pa-wide-pedal-set-thread.316480/

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=3&fid=15&pid=317&cid=12
Official Thrustmaster statement on T500 and PS4. Very straightforward.

The fixed paddles are huge and have a lovely solid click. I bought my T500 with the extra GTE rim as well, but found the fixed paddles are actually fine. Almost all shifts you can reach the paddles. Occasionally if you need to shift with the wheel turned around 90 degrees you would need to take a hand off the rim, but that situation is very rare. And you get used to doing that anyway.

I found I preferred the stock 30cm diameter rim and fixed paddles over the 28cm GTE rim and moving paddles, and have barely used my GTE rim. But if I were more of an open wheeler fan I'd probably prefer the GTE or F1 rims with moving paddles for that type of car.

It was kinda weird at first but I got used to them. If you can't tho, there are many other options for rims with moving paddles.

Hey everyone, I am in the process of making the decision to purchase a Thrustmaster T500rs and am hoping I will be talked into buying this piece of sim hardware by some fellow T500 owners :). Or talked out of it should that be the case :guilty:. The one I am looking at is used but VERY lightly. It is 100% flawless with all original packaging and accessories. The current owner is local and bought the wheel new but never uses it. It is the newest version (V#) with the black Thrustmaster logo on front of base, relocated fan, compression springs, and the GT6 packaging. The price will be somewhere between $250-$300 (we haven't agreed on an exact price but he is asking $300, I offered $250). To give a little history I got my start in arcade racing as a child with a game pad back in the late 90's with Cruisin USA on n64 👍. From then on sim and arcade racing titles have been my only interest across all gaming platforms. I am mainly a ps3 player at the moment but am looking into getting more into more PC based simulators such as AC and IR plus i will be purchasing a PS4 at some point. Currently I only have City Car Driving for the PC but I have a whole bunch of racing games for ps3, most the ones worth having and a couple that aren't. I purchased my first wheel, TM F430 FFB wheel, about a year and a half ago and it has been a strong addiction ever since :scared:. One week after the F430 wheel I purchased a G27 which I did a few diy mods to and have been loving it ever since. Modding is a huge part of my enjoyment in this hobby, many of my friends and family tell me I enjoy working on/modifying my toys more than playing with them and they couldn't be more right (don't get me wrong i still love to play:D). My main reasons for looking into the T500 in addition to my g27 is my desire for stronger, faster, smoother force feedback and because it is a common wheel that I would like to come up with some diy mods for just for fun. The price is another huge factor, I have not been willing to fork out $500-600 on a brand new kit but $300 or maybe less for one that is quite practically new and might actually still be under warranty is making me want to go for it. All this useless info about myself doesn't really pertain to my the focus here but I though I'd give a little background on myself since this is one of my first (hopefully of many) posts to this site. I do not expect anyone to give me a T500 review since that really isn't anyone's responsibility and there are plenty online. I mainly just want opinions on whether or not this is a fair price, and if you think I should make the purchase. Thanks everyone for your valued opinions, while this is one of my first times posting I have been reading the gtplanet forums for a long time now and trust highly the opinions of the members.

I bought my T500RS open box and never had a problem, the price sounds fair, I'd say go for it. And break up your posts a little. :lol:

I bought my T500RS open box and never had a problem, the price sounds fair, I'd say go for it. And break up your posts a little. :lol:
Yea I thin I'm going to go for it. Hopefully i can grab it tomorrow! My post was a bit long winded, I will work on dialing it back a little :).

Hey everyone, I am in the process of making the decision to purchase a Thrustmaster T500rs and am hoping I will be talked into buying this piece of sim hardware by some fellow T500 owners :). Or talked out of it should that be the case :guilty:. The one I am looking at is used but VERY lightly. It is 100% flawless with all original packaging and accessories. The current owner is local and bought the wheel new but never uses it. It is the newest version (V#) with the black Thrustmaster logo on front of base, relocated fan, compression springs, and the GT6 packaging. The price will be somewhere between $250-$300 (we haven't agreed on an exact price but he is asking $300, I offered $250). To give a little history I got my start in arcade racing as a child with a game pad back in the late 90's with Cruisin USA on n64 👍. From then on sim and arcade racing titles have been my only interest across all gaming platforms. I am mainly a ps3 player at the moment but am looking into getting more into more PC based simulators such as AC and IR plus i will be purchasing a PS4 at some point. Currently I only have City Car Driving for the PC but I have a whole bunch of racing games for ps3, most the ones worth having and a couple that aren't. I purchased my first wheel, TM F430 FFB wheel, about a year and a half ago and it has been a strong addiction ever since :scared:. One week after the F430 wheel I purchased a G27 which I did a few diy mods to and have been loving it ever since. Modding is a huge part of my enjoyment in this hobby, many of my friends and family tell me I enjoy working on/modifying my toys more than playing with them and they couldn't be more right (don't get me wrong i still love to play:D). My main reasons for looking into the T500 in addition to my g27 is my desire for stronger, faster, smoother force feedback and because it is a common wheel that I would like to come up with some diy mods for just for fun. The price is another huge factor, I have not been willing to fork out $500-600 on a brand new kit but $300 or maybe less for one that is quite practically new and might actually still be under warranty is making me want to go for it. All this useless info about myself doesn't really pertain to my the focus here but I though I'd give a little background on myself since this is one of my first (hopefully of many) posts to this site. I do not expect anyone to give me a T500 review since that really isn't anyone's responsibility and there are plenty online. I mainly just want opinions on whether or not this is a fair price, and if you think I should make the purchase. Thanks everyone for your valued opinions, while this is one of my first times posting I have been reading the gtplanet forums for a long time now and trust highly the opinions of the members.

Definetly buy,you won't be disappointed. The T500 is a strong wheel. Plus you can use your G27 pedals with an adapter.

Did some research and they come in different names (Anti-vibration bump stops, Anti-vibration rubber buffers, vibration isolators etc.) and are mostly in "industrial parts" sections of websites or shops that stock industrial parts. Found them on Amazon (Link).

Found the conical brake mod available to T3PA Pro pedals are derived from industrial parts already in the market. Since Thrustmaster don't sell this separately, you should be able to find them in your local industrial parts shops or from the Amazon link. EDIT: See POST #9555

The beauty of this is by designed progressive and should be better alternative than BasherBoard Brake mod for T500RS pedals.

Credit to @hmvinyl.

Last edited:
Found the conical brake mod available to T3PA Pro pedals are derived from industrial parts already in the market. Since Thrustmaster don't sell this separately, you should be able to find them in your local industrial parts shops or from the Amazon link.

The beauty of this is by designed progressive and should be better alternative than BasherBoard Brake mod for T500RS pedals.

And which Thread is the corect one to use?

Found the conical brake mod available to T3PA Pro pedals are derived from industrial parts already in the market. Since Thrustmaster don't sell this separately, you should be able to find them in your local industrial parts shops or from the Amazon link.

Credit to @hmvinyl.

And which Thread is the corect one to use?

Haven't own one yet. The thread size of the metal bracket for the brake pedal is M10/M12. Also make sure the rubber diameter fits within 4 cm. Anyway, looked further and these two are the ones that should fit.
You'll also need a M8 to M10/12 couple adaptor to make it work.

P.S. Basherboards Brake mod bushings are 60 & 70 durometer.

EDIT: I ordered JW Winco 453-30-30-M8-S-55 but will only receive from Amazon end of April. That's how long it takes for things to deliver to Melbourne Australia. Will report back once I get it to confirm the thread size and possible feel comparing to Basherboard Brake Mod.

Last edited:
Can anybody confirm what version of software the T500 is on?

Think I'm on Firmware 41 but not 100% sure, I don't have a laptop/pc so not sure if I need to update it so I can use with my PS4.

Haven't own one yet. The thread size of the metal bracket for the brake pedal is M10/M12. Also make sure the rubber diameter fits within 4 cm. Anyway, looked further and these two are the ones that should fit.
You'll also need a M8 to M10/12 couple adaptor to make it work.

P.S. Basherboards Brake mod bushings are 60 & 70 durometer.

EDIT: I ordered JW Winco 453-30-30-M8-S-55 but will only receive from Amazon end of April. That's how long it takes for things to deliver to Melbourne Australia. Will report back once I get it to confirm the thread size and possible feel comparing to Basherboard Brake Mod.

Time to report. Good news is JW Winco 453-30-30-M8-S-55 bought from Amazon arrived and I managed to installed it.

Just long enough to be able to secure with a nut and a washer.

6SJmUt4.jpg

M8 doesn't fit the M10 hole, but with a washer and nut to tightening it up, it doesn't wobble at all and it's securely in place without movement.

LsFsyla.jpg

Finally, installed into T500. Notice that I can only managed to screw the two upper realistic brake mod plate so that tip of the rubber just slightly touch the back of the arm. Not sure if this will be a problem in the long run.

Fm3idU0.jpg

Did a couple of laps in AC and can report that this gives much more progression stiffness and feel to the brake than Basherboard brake mod. Definitely the conical shaped rubber helped. Placebo might be but this is staying where it is in the pedals. This might not be for people who prefer stiffer brakes.

For T500RS owners, this is a must have. Most affordable quality brake mod you can have.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm getting this wheel so did my research and looked around this thread. I remember few years ago trying it in a launch event by a local TM dealer. Two rigs were setup with T500 units and funnily both broke after two hours of usage, it was very embarrassing. I'm guessing crappy soldering work or something shoddy like that were the cause.

So figured it's better to stay away from this product and generally TM products, give it some time to mature.

Few years gone and I'm seeing talks about revisions in the product. Where do TM put the version sticker? on the underside of the packaging or the product itself?

My local store has this wheel in it's 'gt6' edition package. I figure it's slightly newer. Does GT6 packaging indicative of a specific version or can it be anything from V2 to V6?

Also, I understand that if something goes wrong and TM decides to stick their infamous CS in my face, I should be good with obtaining spare parts? something that was quite difficult with Logitech's G25 back at the time it broke on me.

Looks like I'm getting this wheel so did my research and looked around this thread. I remember few years ago trying it in a launch event by a local TM dealer. Two rigs were setup with T500 units and funnily both broke after two hours of usage, it was very embarrassing. I'm guessing crappy soldering work or something shoddy like that were the cause.

So figured it's better to stay away from this product and generally TM products, give it some time to mature.

Few years gone and I'm seeing talks about revisions in the product. Where do TM put the version sticker? on the underside of the packaging or the product itself?

My local store has this wheel in it's 'gt6' edition package. I figure it's slightly newer. Does GT6 packaging indicative of a specific version or can it be anything from V2 to V6?

Also, I understand that if something goes wrong and TM decides to stick their infamous CS in my face, I should be good with obtaining spare parts? something that was quite difficult with Logitech's G25 back at the time it broke on me.
The GT6 box is the newest variant. I am not aware of any variations or alterations in the year since the GT6 branded version of the T500 was launched. It is newer than the "V2-V6" wheels from pre-2013.

A small anecdote:

I used to have a late 2013 T500RS which came in the GT5 branded box but with all the latest alterations (including the absence of fan cutout on top). Sadly the clutch pedal suddenly stopped working a few weeks back so I sent it in for RMA. The awesome webshop from which I bought it agreed with my diagnosis and instead of sending the pedals for repair they sent me a new T500RS: this one came in the GT6 branded box.

In terms of appearance they obviously look identical, however I noticed that the rubber texture feels fractionally different on the rim (might just be me more used to the T300RS rim but I don't think so), and the wheel seems more free turning than I was expecting. It still isn't as free as a T300 (even new out of the box), but it turns nicely and I think after letting it run in that it will be closer in feel to the T300 than my previous T500.

This could all be placebo and misremembering, but I thought I'd mention it. You never know, maybe the belts or bearings which Thrustmaster currently use on the T500 have changed compared to the models being made back in 2013.....

Edit: I take my statement about no exterior changes back. There are 4 visible screws along the front top edge of the casing which weren't there on my 2013 variant. They look to have redone the casing mounting, perhaps to make it easier to remove the top cover?

Last edited:
I have a t300rs that centers upside down and have done everything TM has said to do is currently awaiting email about sending it back..in the mean time though I am thinking about purchasing T500rs so can still race on ps3 and 4. If I make this purchase would it even be worth the trouble of sending off 300 base to be fixed?

Once the T300 is fixed, you could always re-sell it to offset the cost of the T500RS. That's something to consider -- as it is, I doubt you'd find anybody willing to take it off your hands.

Hiya! Want to share my experience dealing with Thrustmaster wheels. Got my TX RW off eBay – broken – and because it required a teardown for repair (fixed it successfully), decided to "reverse-engineer" wheel-to-wheelbase data protocol (sort of, as it turned out it's a simple SPI - serial data line).

I'm posting here mainly because there's not much info on Thrustmaster electronics on the internetz, but some portion appeared on this thread #7230. May be it deserves a separate thread, then I'll probably create one to let more modders find this, he-he.

Background: love my TX RW after repair, but why not to make it better :) Initially I planned to replace a toy-ish 458 Italia wheel with some real bigger and heavier one (yup, Wheelbase->Quick-release->Real-racing-wheel construction - as many of us did). But that means we lose all those buttons. Solution -> reverse-engineer a wheel and emulate it's electronics. A simple way to do it is to use Arduino to handle custom buttons and all wheelbase communication (requires little to no soldering)

txrw_1_14.jpg

Long story short – Arduino trick works like a charm. Can both read the data from a wheel (part 1), and emulate and write the data to a wheelbase (part 2). Pretty sure this can be used with T500/T300/TXRW wheelbases – they all support a Thrustmaster F1 Wheel add-on, which means electronically they are identical.

Couple vids for afters:

That's all for today :) Happy modding!

Hey guys anyone tried T500 to Project Cars PS4 and how was it?
My T300 RS RMA at the moment so when I got replacement in few weeks I'll sell to get new one....plus sell T500 pedal as well because I am plan to buy T500 GT6 package already come with T500 RS anyway.
I got replacment 3rd time of T300RS and now I have decide to get T500RS for now.

Ha, wow.
I created this thread ages ago and haven't been on it since 2011, but it still seems to be going very strong!
I also never ended up buying this wheel. :drool:

Drive on! :gtpflag:

Hey guys anyone tried T500 to Project Cars PS4 and how was it?
My T300 RS RMA at the moment so when I got replacement in few weeks I'll sell to get new one....plus sell T500 pedal as well because I am plan to buy T500 GT6 package already come with T500 RS anyway.
I got replacment 3rd time of T300RS and now I have decide to get T500RS for now.
It works, it's alive, feels really 100% better than in GT6, but there are still some issues they are working on.

Right now I'm finding the T300 miles better in pCARS on the PC than the T500. I hope to figure out a good setup for both by the end of the weekend, but right now I'd advise sticking to the T300 if pCARS is a major focus.

Back