The VW I.D. R Sets a Blistering Qualifying Time up Pikes Peak; On a Record-Setting Pace

I got to examine the car at tech ... there is precision and elegance in every detail.
The materials and workmanship are at the very highest level.

Quali went perfectly, ... good luck on race day, VWM !!

i-gSfTngm-X3.jpg

This year should be very exciting, given the performance of the first two Unlimited cars (Norma's engine had a problem before the start of the second run, so I'd expect its time to improve if they can fix that issue). By the way, I wonder if Peugeot will respond next year, in case their record falls down.

That’s one sexy looking car. If the 2020 wec cars look anything like that, I’ll be happy 👍

Will this be streamed on the YouTube at all?

Looking at the specs:

Volkswagen ID.R PP - 670 HP, 1100 kg, 0-60 in 2.25 sec
Peugeot 208 T16 PP - 875 HP (factoring 30% power loss at altitude down to ~612 HP), 875 kg, 0-60 in 1.8 sec

Let's say downforce and tyre grip are roughly equal and Loeb/Dumas are for all intents and purposes equally matched (although personally I would think Loeb is slightly better because, y'know, 9x WRC champion). If weather and track conditions are similar for the day, I struggle to see how the VW can beat Loeb's record. The VW is going to be faster near the top of the mountain once the Pug loses oodles of power, but a 58 HP deficit is balanced by the 225 kg weight advantage. Also, you would expect an electric vehicle's ace card (low down acceleration) to favour the track layout with its many hairpins, but 0-60 times are also in favour of the Pug.

I think VW will definitely smash the electric record, but Loeb's record might stand for some time yet (it'll be pretty close though!).

Looking at the specs:

Peugeot 208 T16 PP - 875 HP (factoring 30% power loss at altitude down to ~612 HP), 875 kg, 0-60 in 1.8 sec

Let's say downforce and tyre grip are roughly equal and Loeb/Dumas are for all intents and purposes equally matched (although personally I would think Loeb is slightly better because, y'know, 9x WRC champion). If weather and track conditions are similar for the day, I struggle to see how the VW can beat Loeb's record. The VW is going to be faster near the top of the mountain once the Pug loses oodles of power, but a 58 HP deficit is balanced by the 225 kg weight advantage. Also, you would expect an electric vehicle's ace card (low down acceleration) to favour the track layout with its many hairpins, but 0-60 times are also in favour of the Pug.

I think VW will definitely smash the electric record, but Loeb's record might stand for some time yet (it'll be pretty close though!).
The VW is already faster in the first two sections: 3:16 vs Loeb's 3:29. That's why people think it's going to beat the overall record and maybe post a sub-8 time.

Looking at the specs:

I had a bit of doubt seeing the weight of the car, but they did beat it, by double digits too. Quite a performance!

You’ve gotta love MY home state Lol
I hope we get pikes peak either in GTSport I doubt that. Sprint races don’t seem like they’d fit in, but maybe next game

deckenaustausch_w200_ausbau_880x0.jpg

Also, as boring as road-Pikes-Peak is I thought it was obvious enough I wasn't being literal
And yes I know the reason it's paved, that doesn't make it suck less, only more.
Still came across as you discounting the record time it put in.

Still came across as you discounting the record time it put in.
Ah, I see.
No, not so much the time as much as I was discounting the full-asphalt-Pikes-Peak and the car's off-road capability.
But I do suppose the PM580 had a similar shape and also raced on dirt well

I'm legitimately confused. When I saw the horsepower and weight of the car, I thought it would only be in contention with Rhys Millen's 2016 record, which was done in a car with much more power being put down. I know that EVs are advantageous at maintaining power output at higher altitudes, but the 2016 Rimac car had the same torque and altitude advantages as the VW I.D. R, but the VW went 15 seconds faster than the Peugeot 208 with significantly less power and more weight. How did they do that? Was it the driver's skill? The Aero? Maybe it had more torque than the Rimac from 2 years ago? I'm not trying to downplay it's incredible performance, I'm just trying to understand something that was not apparent in the specs that gave it such an advantage.

Last edited:
Back