The Wagons Only Thread [Please See First Post!]

• Thread starter E RaK
  • 1,462 comments
Most of the "definition" derives from the visual aspect. An estate is the same basic concept of a hatchback (usually based on a sedan, seats five, prioritizes practicality and cargo space) but is visibly longer. The roofline of an estate is always longer than that of a hatchback, which is the entire point of an estate, making for greater interior and trunk space. Hatchbacks also tend to have a sloping rear while the rear of an estate is more upright. There's a reason why there's no such thing as a subcompact estate or a full-size hatchback.
I mean...those are all kind of vague and/or subjective. They're certainly not suitable for on-paper comparison.

The Mazda "Estate" you posted above is longer on paper than the "Hatchback" beneath it. It's also wider and heavier on paper.

From a purely visual standpoint, the hatches (yeah, they both have hatches) also appear to be angled similarly.

What about hatchbacks that have more vertical hatches than other wagons?

This appears to be basically the same car you indicated above as a wagon.

mazda_atenza_sport_wagon_a1212461794b1736185_4_orig.jpg

And then you've got what Suzuki refers to as a hatchback:

USB30SZC041A0112.jpg

I'll grant you that the Suzuki appears to have proportionally shorter rear overhang, but look at how vertical that hatch is. It's also a smaller car.

I don't know for sure, but I think this Civic wagon (they referred to it as a wagon...and a van...I think) is smaller than that Suzuki Aerio. I don't imagine it's considerably smaller, though.

a29421cc7364e1dba8ccbd7f98a75d19.jpg

That rear overhang is pretty short.

As an aside, it wasn't easy finding a decent profile shot of an unmolested example.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm thinking it's not that big a deal if someone shares what they think is a wagon here. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, of course...particularly when things can be so subjective (such as whether something is tasteful or not) and there are exceptions to every rule.

Now I'm going to create a thread for roadsters, but convertibles and speedsters aren't allowed.

Not sure how I feel about the W-30-look wagon, but that Satellite is all kinds of awesome.

Back