The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments
Looking into getting a new watch to replace my one that has not been working for a couple of years now. Thing is, I really like Casio and I want to buy a Casio watch that is not very expensive but one I will keep for a good six to ten years. I have been looking at the edifice range. I have taken a liking to this particular one, but since I do not know much about watches, I was hoping you guys here would be able to assist me?

efr-539d-1a2vu_theme_2.jpg

p.s. I have a fixation with metallic blues... So I found this too...

images1401807166_IS_DSC_6330.jpg

Looking into getting a new watch to replace my one that has not been working for a couple of years now. Thing is, I really like Casio and I want to buy a Casio watch that is not very expensive but one I will keep for a good six to ten years. I have been looking at the edifice range. I have taken a liking to this particular one, but since I do not know much about watches, I was hoping you guys here would be able to assist me?

Casio has a reputation for long-lasting, durable watches, so my guess would be this would be similar; you may need to replace the battery in that time. With that said, without the specific models of watches that you're looking at, there's not much we can tell about those watches.

--

What do y'all know about Miyota movements? I'm wondering specifically about the Miyota 821a. Are they pretty similar to Seiko in that they are reliable but is actually/perceived to be of lower grade? How are Miyota movements generally vs comparable ETA or other Swiss movements?

Orient... never heard of the name, oddly. Looks like a simple and modern dive watch though. Nice. 👍

Oh! To be young and innocent - and learn all the joys over again. :lol:
I owned Orients decades ago. All lost or misplaced or given away.

One thing's for sure - if I see an Orient on a guy's wrist, I'm going to assume he knows something about watches.

Oh! To be young and innocent - and learn all the joys over again. :lol:
I owned Orients decades ago. All lost or misplaced or given away.

One thing's for sure - if I see an Orient on a guy's wrist, I'm going to assume he knows something about watches.
I bet I've seen quite a few Orients but for some reason the name just ain't popping up at the moment! :lol: Cheers photon. :cheers:

Quoted For Truth. Because it is the truth.

:cheers: Coming from you - that only strengthens my opinion of it. :)

I bet I've seen quite a few Orients but for some reason the name just ain't popping up at the moment! :lol: Cheers photon. :cheers:

Cheers, Ameer - hope you're enjoying the holidays. Yes, Unless one is 'in-the-know' as such, an Orient on someone's wrist will catch the eye, but the name just doesn't ring a bell.
We're not talking Rolex or Omega . . . we're talking Hermes. Well kept secrets.

When you hold an Orient in your hand the first thing that hits you is the absolutely stunning obsession to quality. Not a thing is farmed out. Everything is made in-house. This is a thoroughbred Japanese watch.
The second thing that will get your attention is the price. You'll feel you are holding a $5,000 watch in your hands - but that can't be right - the dealer is quoting less than a grand.
That's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Orient.

iphonedec15%20229_zpsobuq01lw.png

I lived in the UAE for some time as an ex-pat - we would drive off to Deira (Dubai) take the ferry to the island bazaar and shop over there - it was a once-a-month ritual. Of course, every month would be a new watch - a Seiko one month, or a Citizen the next. And there were always the Orients. Everybody had to have at least one Orient. We could pick one up for 100 dirhams. Some of us had huge collections with half-a-dozen Orients agleam in the lot.
It was a 'thing'. If you didn't have at least one Orient, then you were missing out on one of the finest watches available for the money. Attention to detail, buildquality, and materials used was meticulous.
You know those high-end Japanese cameras that people brag about? Well, this is the Japanese watch that some like to flash - just to see who's in the know. :lol:

iphonedec15%20240_zpsjkvlsvp0.png

iphonedec15%20228_zpshi3rdlqb.png

iphonedec15%20218_zps0y08xmf3.png

My "collection"
Kby7Y3G.jpg

My only complaints about the Orient are that the bracelet doesn't have solid end links, the bezel doesn't match up perfectly at 12:00, and the clasp is a little cheap. It's great otherwise, especially for the price.

My only complaints about the Orient are that the bracelet doesn't have solid end links, the bezel doesn't match up perfectly at 12:00, and the clasp is a little cheap. It's great otherwise, especially for the price.

TBH, I have to admit I've heard that before about the Makos, though not so much about Rays or the more premium lines. Eventually most change to Nato straps. OTOH, I've heard people talk well about the bezel movement of the Rays and M4s.

Here are some reviews I've fished out about the cheaper lines:

orientreview3_zpsgzqixejt.jpg

orientreviews_zpshqprwlrb.jpg

orientreview2_zpsfxm6bjxw.jpg

I've also seen some Orients going as cheap as $20.00 - even some 'vintage' models - I would think these are all refurbished (so no original Orient parts) or even replicas - in the way even the Seiko 5 (inexpensive as it is) is still faked.

Talking about replicas brings to mind people who buy a replica of the original they have so they could wear the replica when they felt that they would put the original in jeopardy. That makes sense to me, in a warped way - if people are used to seeing you with a Patek Philippe on your wrist they don't question that it's the fake you have on when you hit the squash court. :lol:

The replicas are cheaper than an Orient original!

patekfake_zpslo0gsuyb.jpg

Some other Orient beauties:

iphonedec15%20225_zpsr5rxpv0c.png

iphonedec15%20227_zpswzwsvdp0.png

iphonedec15%20232_zpss67eu4jn.png

EF527D-1AV.png

Here is my watch. Casio Edifice series. It's nice, I've had it for about 4-5 years now. Only complaint is that the strap pins get bent fairly easily, and the glass has gotten a little foggy it seems over the years. Does anyone know if it can be polished or something at a repair shop to remove any fogginess? I make it sound a lot worse than it actually is...

@APIOQM

Is the fog on the inside? How often does it get wet? The seals for the crown might have goofed, causing a slight fog. Humidity and other factors will play into it as well. A decent watchmaker should be able to have it taken care of in 15 minutes.

All the watchmaker has to do is open the case, pop the détente for the stem, pull the stem, and lift out the movement to get to the backside of the crystal. From there, he or she can dry the case out and replace the seals if necessary.

If the crystal is just goofed, that can be replaced as well.

Nothing to worry about. :)

@High-Test

I hadn't considered that it might be condensation / water inside the watch. It doesn't ever get fully submerged in water, just splashed by the tap and rain. I originally thought the glass might have been worn-out. It's nice to know that either way the problem can be resolved. Thanks for the info!

@High-Test

I hadn't considered that it might be condensation / water inside the watch. It doesn't ever get fully submerged in water, just splashed by the tap and rain. I originally thought the glass might have been worn-out. It's nice to know that either way the problem can be resolved. Thanks for the info!

I've fogged a watch merely by taking it apart to reseat the hands. They can be fickle.

@High-Test thought you may be able to offer a little advice.

A couple of months back I had the battery replaced in my Tissot. A few weeks later I went to use the stopwatch and it didn't work. The start/stop button now feels ever so slightly different from the reset button when pressed.

As I don't often use the stopwatch I decided to get it looked at during the next battery change.

Any ideas of what it could be? I honestly don't know if it was working when I took it into the shop.
If it matters it was an authorized Tissot repairer but I didn't get it re-pressure checked as I don't swim with it.

Thanks, Shaun.

Reading that bit about buying replicas for when you are in a bad place to have an original hits home hard for me as a Saints fan who often attends games and occasionally indulges with trip to the city (new orleans). Luckily I live about 30 minutes away from N.O. so I don't have to take off my nice watches often but honestly, I rarely wear my good stuff into the city.

That said, I got a $50 amazon gift card with Christmas this year so I have a feeling a few Nato straps are going to be ordered for my Victorinox Alliance.

Shaun, I'm sorry, but I don't know. There are usually rubber gaskets under the buttons and stuff inside those buttons - something might be loose. They need to be set just right to work. Do you have a picture?

Despite buttons and seals being very easy to mess up, they are only easy to mess up from the inside. I didn't get to mess with stopwatches / chronos much, and didn't do a whole lot with quartz. I'd be happy to help with any and all fullsize clock related questions, otherwise my watch expertise is limited. :dopey:

My internet is acting up. Tissot claims to make their own quartz movements. What they mean is that they're probably ETA. This is good. ETA makes damn near everything.

Shaun, I'm sorry, but I don't know.

Thanks anyway mate. 👍
I could post a picture but it won't show anything, the difference in the feel of the buttons is like the one that isn't working travels ever so slightly less when pushed

As I said no huge deal and I'll have it checked at the next battery replacement. 👍

I'm starting to become a huge sucker for skeleton watches:

es-0014-02-1.jpg

Though it's getting some mixed reviews.

Well, I don't know much about the personality of that thing but I sure love the looks. First face I've seen with numerals that make me want to look again. Sort of a 'reverse indice'.
What would that type of layout be called, technically, anyway?

Back