The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments
The Sinn 104 is a beautiful watch, and it's pretty much perfect for daily wear given its functionality. It's a lot of watch for the money, and it's probably a good thing that it's out of my price range right now. I suspect that I'll avoid buying one and instead save up for a Tudor Black Bay, though I'm certainly easily tempted...

Oh man, I can't open this thread, otherwise I'm just jealous of you guys.

As of now I only have a Tissot Classic Dream, which is a entry level swiss watch. I may expand soon to a Seiko SNK803K2 because I need a daily driver, as the Classic Dream is way to formal to use daily. And I'm saving some money for a Casio G-Shock G-Steel.

I have a long way to go until I reach your levels :P

The SNK is a good option for a daily driver @AlvaroF. Don't be concerned what others have in comparison to yourself, just wear what you have/like and enjoy it. 👍

The SNK is a good option for a daily driver @AlvaroF. Don't be concerned what others have in comparison to yourself, just wear what you have/like and enjoy it. 👍

Ah mate, I enjoy watches, whether they are 60€ or 1000€, but I have to start from somewhere :lol:. I love what I have given that I still don't have a source of income.

Got this one for my birthday today. Nixon Corporal SS in Gunmetal/Matte Black. Really loving that watch so far.

IMG_20170904_064341.jpg

New watch day is best day! Last week was good to me and I decided that rather than save my money like a sensible person I'd buy a watch to replace my Seiko 7002 (which needs a service and I really miss the lack of handwinding). I thought about a meca-quartz chronograph but I don't think I'd be fully satisfied knowing that when I can I'll absolutely spring for a proper mechanical chronograph. So instead I gravitated towards the Seiko Turtle, which came out quite recently and is exactly what I'm looking for: a tough tool watch with its own identity, a very attractive design, and of course an automatic movement with hacking and handwinding. I did think about an SKX, but again, no handwinding, and it doesn't call to me the way the Turtle does. Anyway, I was torn between the SRP779, SRP789, and SRP787 (pepsi bezel, coke bezel, and batman bezel repsectively, all with a black dial), since I'd seen a pretty hefty markup on the PADI version. But I found one for a decent price which also included a Strapcode Super Jubilee bracelet, which for those of you unfamiliar with Strapcode is a family of extremely high quality bracelets made specifically for Seiko divers. Solid links all the way through and beautiful construction and finishing. I think a new one is around $100, and it shows. So given that, I pulled the trigger, and oh boy am I happy that I did:

IMG_20171002_203506.jpg

IMG_20171002_202241.jpg

I'd tried one on in a store a few months ago but forgotten just how perfect the colours and design are in person. The factory bracelet is of very high quality but I don't think it looks as good as the jubillee (though it's admittedly less flashy).

P.S. @Mike Rotch I'm still waiting for you to post some shots of your Speedmaster, and tomorrow is Speedy Tuesday...

EDIT: Okay, those are really blurry photos. I'll try and grab some better ones at some point soon.

IMG_20171002_224504.jpg

IMG_20171002_224504.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171002_224524.jpg
    IMG_20171002_224524.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
@Beeblebrox237 top choice :)

I went from a strapcode super oyster to the stock Seiko bracelet on my Turtle. I think the threaded pins on the Strapcode are less toolish then the pin and collar system in the Seiko strap. Pin and collar is a pita to change. But due to the way it is constructed it will never fall off.

Not that the Strapcode will. And that Jubilee looks superb!

@Beeblebrox237 top choice :)

I went from a strapcode super oyster to the stock Seiko bracelet on my Turtle. I think the threaded pins on the Strapcode are less toolish then the pin and collar system in the Seiko strap. Pin and collar is a pita to change. But due to the way it is constructed it will never fall off.

Not that the Strapcode will. And that Jubilee looks superb!
Thanks! I spent about an hour this evening adding two links to the stock bracelet with a spring bar tool, a swiss army knife, and the wire from a twist-tie. Thanks to a few Youtube videos, though, I'm confident that I've done it correctly. I definitely prefer the Jubilee over the stock bracelet but I'm sure I'll switch between them and of course a range of NATO straps depending on my mood.

@Mike Rotch Beautiful collection! I see a bit of a theme there, I take it you like chronographs and more formal watches. Also, is that Hamilton a LHD 7750?

Indeed Sir. I have a blue stitched one as well as the seller send me the wrong one on the original order :)

That's right I remember now.
Is the lug width the same on the Fortis? Would make a nice combo to use the blue stitched strap.

Thanks @Beeblebrox237 :). Yeah, my weakness is auto chronos! The Hamilton is indeed a ‘rotated’ 7750, best evidenced by seeing the minute counter rotated 180deg compared to the Louis Erard.

Is the lug width the same on the Fortis? Would make a nice combo to use the blue stitched strap.
If my memory is right, the Monaco is 21/22mm so a bit wider than the Fortis.

Also, my personal pet hate is straight edged straps on very curved cases, which leads to a gap between the pin/ strap end and the case. It’s why I got a Hirsch Medici for the Hamilton when the original strap died.

Ordered a few things today for an in the pipeline purchase and other.
Taking a bit of a chance as I have no prior experience with any of them.

Hirsch Medici in Dark Brown with white stitching.

s-l300.jpg

Hirsch deployant clasp.

hirschsportbucklesilver.jpg

Hirsch Omega Style Deployant.

20mm-panatime-omega-style-deploy-buckle-matte-brushed-finish-5.gif

Polywatch polish.

71Q-b-Dx6FL._UX342_.jpg

Touch wood they all live up to expectations and are here in the desired time.

I can confirm that Polywatch is fantastic for polishing acrylic crystals.

Although I've read that everywhere online it's nice to hear that from people you know, @Mike Rotch has told me the same thing. 👍

Grrr in other news the supplier of above posted strap has just emailed me to inform me they don't have in fact the brown strap with white stitching. They do have one left without the contrast stitching so I'm going to give that a try as some pictures of the watch I plan on putting it can be found in that combination and still looks good.
Still probably would have preferred the contrasting stitching but as they are now a discontinued line they are very hard to find. Maybe my search abilities are letting me down but I don't seem to be able to find any other good quality off the shelf leather straps with curved ends.

I wear a first-gen Apple Watch. I'm really happy with it. Despite the third-gen having been released, I just don't feel any need to update.

I see Paul Newman's Daytona went for a princely sum today. Pretty amazing really when you really think about it. No matter what you may think about Newman or Rolex that's pretty impressive.

It got me thinking what would be the most valuable watch today. Once you reach that sort of figure you aren't paying for the materials nor the engineering that goes into making them but history itself.

On that premise I would have to think Armstrong's and Aldrin's Speedmasters would have to be up there as most valuable though as I understand it they are marked to never be sold in Omega's hands.

Any thoughts?

I recall that the Apollo Speedmasters can't actually be owned by anyone since they're US government property and if they get wind that you have one then they'll raid your house. Personally, I think this will always be the most valuable simply down to its cultural impact. It's almost singlehandedly responsible for both the community around vintage watches and for the fact that the Daytona is now one of Rolex's best sellers.

Also, I don't know if you saw the auction, but the opening bid of 10 million was an incredible moment.

I recall that the Apollo Speedmasters can't actually be owned by anyone since they're US government property

Ah yes I stand corrected, mixed up what I had read previously.

Personally, I think this will always be the most valuable simply down to its cultural impact. It's almost singlehandedlyresponsible for both the community aroundvintage watches and for the fact that theDaytona is now one of Rolex's best sellers.

No argurment here on a personal level, I consider the Speedy an icon really in the grand scheme of things.

Oh yeah saw the auction and yes totally agree it was surprising to watch especially that first bid. 👍

I bet Steve McQueen's original Monaco would also have a few zero's behind it - or 5 of them to be precise 5 years ago (link).

I guess it comes down to "iconic-ness". Would Gargarin's space watch be as valuable? ....the Russian watch industry doesnt have the same marketing machines the Swiss do and so has not captured the imagination as much as for example the Speedy.

Last edited:
I bet Steve McQueen's original Monaco would also have a few zero's behind it - or 5 of them to be precise 5 years ago (link).

Another good example. 👍

I guess it comes down to "iconic-ness". Would Gargarin's space watch be as valuable?

Probably should be or at least up there.
Would it, most likely not. Which comes down to this.

.the Russian watch industry doesnt have the same marketing machines the Swiss do and so has not captured the imagination as much as for example the Speedy.

Yep totally agree, as mentioned it's a perceived importance of history isn't it. Omega has done a great job of cashing in on the whole moonwatch thing.

Honestly I look at the whole thing as an interesting look at how we as humans see value, the raw materials and effort to build any of the watches mentioned here in no way matches it's true worth. What is it's true worth though, well as far as I can tell it's like anything in life. What someone is prepared to pay for it.

I’ve recently come across a watchmaker called AVI-8. They make various models based on old British military aircraft. I’ve already got the Hawker Hurricane and I hope to get the whole collection.

https://avi-8.co.uk/

Attachments

• 2427FD05-2E06-4BF4-93F3-872300F8A634.jpeg
    2427FD05-2E06-4BF4-93F3-872300F8A634.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 16
Back