The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments
Has anyone got a Philippe Starck watch? I've had my eye on the O-ring watch for a while now, they are a bit gimmicky but I love the designs. I'm just unsure whether they are actually worth getting.

Warning picture heavy post inbound.

Ok so this was always niggling away in the back of my mind, an end game almost.
With some pretty hard saving and a bonus from work that I knew was coming but somehow thought was another year away it became a reality much quicker than expected.
Ordered it 4.5 weeks ago and it arrived today.

Huge box with a PS4 controller as a size reference.

1.jpg

Inside, another huge box.

2.jpg

Open that up and yet another box, this time it's pretty fancy.

3.jpg

The goodies from the first box, Instructions, Coffee table book, Strap change instructions and the all important International Warranty and Pictograph cards.

4.jpg

Open the fancy box and yeah finally a watch.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Along with the watch more goodies concealed within the box including Nato strap, long Velcro strap to go over your spacesuit (because we all need one), Loupe, hang tag, strap changing tool and what I describe as a paper weight which is the same as the centre of the case-back on the watch. FWIW this 'paper weight' is beautifully made.

5.jpg

Couple of pics of the watch.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Case-back, because you know you really should be prepared for your next visit to the moon.

8.jpg

Picture showing the gorgeous distortion that the hesalite glass gives off when looking side on.

9.jpg

Yay finally wearing it after many a debate with myself as to if I should actually buy it.

10.jpg

Not shown in any of the photos is the stainless steel strap/bracelet it comes on. It is beautifully made but because bracelets aren't my thing I will never use it but bought it that way if god forbid I ever have to sell the watch it will maximise re-sale value.
The strap the watch is on is one that I bought in anticipation of getting the watch, I would like to down the track get a genuine Omega leather strap and deployment clasp but they are priced at eye watering levels for what they are and the ones I bought are of good quality anyway. Still knowing what I'm like I can see the genuine items finding a place on the watch as I think it deserves it.

The watch itself it truly stunning close up, simple yet the finishing is superb. Been wearing it all day and the most important feature of a watch to me, the ability to be read easily at a glance is outstanding. It's amazing how many watches get this wrong.
I can see why it's basically been unchanged since the 1960's aesthetically.

Gonna be on cloud nine all weekend.

Well I bought one eventually, they are getting increasingly rare as they were discontinued years ago but I found one. As a warning it's not to everyone's taste:

jTDxtEv.jpg
W7jq9Hq.jpg
IDVnMmF.jpg

A designer called Philippe Starck designed a line of watches which were then made by Fossil, this wasn't the one I originally set out to buy but I was outbid on ebay for my preferred one by £1!

I looked at loads of fancy watches with all singing all dancing movements and such but couldn't justify spending that much money on a watch that just has a few cogs inside. With some exceptions most expensive watches look just like a £50 timex to me, Breitlings are ghastly, as are Tag Heuer watches, Rolex, Hamilton etc they cost thousands and I can't see why. So I wanted something unique, that would stand out and makes me smile.

Last edited:

With some pretty hard saving and a bonus from work that I knew was coming but somehow thought was another year away it became a reality much quicker than expected.

View attachment 693885

View attachment 693887

View attachment 693888

The goodies from the first box, Instructions, Coffee table book, Strap change instructions and the all important International Warranty and Pictograph cards.

View attachment 693889

Along with the watch more goodies concealed within the box including Nato strap, long Velcro strap to go over your spacesuit (because we all need one), Loupe, hang tag, strap changing tool and what I describe as a paper weight which is the same as the centre of the case-back on the watch. FWIW this 'paper weight' is beautifully made.

View attachment 693891

View attachment 693892

View attachment 693893

Case-back, because you know you really should be prepared for your next visit to the moon.

View attachment 693894

Picture showing the gorgeous distortion that the hesalite glass gives off when looking side on.

View attachment 693895

Yay finally wearing it after many a debate with myself as to if I should actually buy it.

View attachment 693896

Not shown in any of the photos is the stainless steel strap/bracelet it comes on. It is beautifully made but because bracelets aren't my thing I will never use it but bought it that way if god forbid I ever have to sell the watch it will maximise re-sale value.
The strap the watch is on is one that I bought in anticipation of getting the watch, I would like to down the track get a genuine Omega leather strap and deployment clasp but they are priced at eye watering levels for what they are and the ones I bought are of good quality anyway. Still knowing what I'm like I can see the genuine items finding a place on the watch as I think it deserves it.

The watch itself it truly stunning close up, simple yet the finishing is superb. Been wearing it all day and the most important feature of a watch to me, the ability to be read easily at a glance is outstanding. It's amazing how many watches get this wrong.

I came.

Congrats mate! Hope you'll never have to sell it :lol:

Thanks mate, me too much prefer one of my kids end up with it when I'm gone.

You wouldn't want to adopt a 26 year old, would you? :lol:

Congratulations, that is gorgeous. If I ever decide to splurge and spend a few thousand dollars on a watch, I think it'd have to be that one.

I never considered myself an aficionado of watches. I'm old-fashioned and prefer mostly digital watches. Analog watches are more classy. When it comes to watches, I've always been a fan of Tag Heuer and Citizen. But we know those watches can cost an arm and a leg to own.

And... that marks my debut to this thread! ;)

I never considered myself an aficionado of watches. I'm old-fashioned and prefer mostly digital watches. Analog watches are more classy. When it comes to watches, I've always been a fan of Tag Heuer and Citizen. But we know those watches can cost an arm and a leg to own.

And... that marks my debut to this thread! ;)

Welcome! Citizen offers great value for money. They have really nice automatic divers. And their solar watches are also pretty cool too.

Also consider Seiko and its 5 sport line. Automatic watches that run and look really good at a fraction of the costs of Swiss made gear.

Having said that, it's no guarantee that you don't buy an expensive one :P

View attachment 693885

View attachment 693887

View attachment 693888

View attachment 693889

View attachment 693891

View attachment 693892

View attachment 693893

View attachment 693894

View attachment 693895

View attachment 693896

This is actually pretty cool to see. I was talking about watches with my dad just two days ago and he was telling me a story about how his dad had found an Omega watch on the street in 1974. He (my grandpa) had never heard of the brand and took it in to a store and they told him it was the exact same model that was worn on the moon. Seeing as this was in Houston, it was worth a little more sentimentally than a normal watch-on-the-street should normally bring. Quite the box it comes in!

I had a watch that died and decided that it was time to try something new. It wasn't anything special, I just really liked the style. I went ahead and signed up for WatchGang on a 6-month prepay. Was it a good idea? Eh, maybe not, we'll see. But I got my first watch in the mail yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see something I liked.
26993519_1579543992115460_2070530530714462572_n.jpg

Again, nothing special (and considering I only signed up for the regular subscription, I'm not expecting a whole heck of a lot) but it's an Oniss Meca. I think it's the font of the numbers that does it for me. The numbers are cutout to show a stainless steel backing. The clip seems kind of cheap but the rest of the band is pretty solid as far as quality goes. Honestly the way the second hand ticks bothers me because I'd prefer a slow, consistent movement or a single second tick instead of a tick every quarter of a second, but it is what it is. Hopefully I can keep tabs on this thread and maybe learn a thing or two and see some neat stuff. There was one watch I saw earlier that is absolutely gorgeous and I'd love to own but just can't convince myself that so much money for one watch is worth it at the time...

I was talking about watches with my dad just two days ago and he was telling me a story about how his dad had found an Omega watch on the street in 1974. He (my grandpa) had never heard of the brand and took it in to a store and they told him it was the exact same model that was worn on the moon.

If it's the same as what was worn on the moon it would be a Speedmaster like mine above.

If it's still in the family I would love to see some pictures and as a bonus for me if it's an actual 1974 model (not just when it was found) even better as that's my birth year and I would like to add a 74 Speedy to my collection. It would be worth a pretty penny now.

Honestly the way the second hand ticks bothers me because I'd prefer a slow,consistent movement or a single second tick

To keep it real simple a constant motion of the second hand denotes a mechanical movement and a tick tock motion is a quartz movement. Most of us prefer the former. ;)

This post from @Mike Rotch explains it well.

If it's the same as what was worn on the moon it would be a Speedmaster like mine above.

If it's still in the family I would love to see some pictures and as a bonus for me if it's an actual 1974 model (not just when it was found) even better as that's my birth year and I would like to add a 74 Speedy to my collection. It would be worth a pretty penny now.

To keep it real simple a constant motion of the second hand denotes a mechanical movement and a tick tock motion is a quartz movement. Most of us prefer the former. ;)

This post from @Mike Rotch explains it well.
Unfortunately, according to my dad, my grandpa had sold it in the early 90s a little before he died. Good to know about the quartz movement though. I never bothered to differentiate between the two. Honestly I thought mechanical was just like, a super complex, high quality quartz. Oops. The more you know!

The other night, I did look up Seiko's website. Seiko does have some stylish watches for MUCH less than Tag Heuer and Citizen. When I went to Wal-Mart yesterday, there were a few Armitron watches I thought looked charming.

You know, I just remembered- I always liked Fossil watches as far as non-luxury watches are concerned. I used to go to the Fossil store a lot at a mall here in the Houston area along with the Fossil at an outlet mall in Texas City. I never owned a Fossil watch, but I do like them.

I don't know if digital watches are look upon as not "worthy" but I curently want to buy Casio GW5035A-1 with solar charging and atomic timekeeping via radio, but this particular model is out of stock everywhere and it's overpriced when compared to regular model with the same module (but my colleague already have the regular model so that's no go).

I don't know if digital watches are look upon as not "worthy" but I curently want to buy Casio GW5035A-1 with solar charging and atomic timekeeping via radio, but this particular model is out of stock everywhere and it's overpriced when compared to regular model with the same module (but my colleague already have the regular model so that's no go).
I think you should buy whatever watch you want and can afford, and not worry what other people think is "worthy." And that is a very sexy watch.

TB
It's frightening what my brain remembers:

Totally agree with what Mike proposes and Teddy Bear seconds.
Buy something that a) keeps good time, b) you can afford, c) you like to look at, and d) is comfortable enough to forget you are wearing a watch.

In other words what you want to wear with pleasure, and trust in its reliability - not what you have to wear because of prestige, etc.
Looking forward to seeing your choice on your wrist. 👍

I did somehing really stupid and got myself a regular Casio G-Shock. I wanted something sportier and that could take a beating since I camp a lot and I'm starting to travel a lot more and was affordable enough so I didn't feel that bad. Really happy with the purchase, a nice watch to have in the collection.

received_968977059934221.jpeg

A Casio G Shock is only a bad choice if you need a dress watch. They're fantastic tools; objectively better than pretty much any other watch.

Last edited:
Back