The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments
And have you seen this Kickstarter? $160 for a $5 Casio F-91W you can't reset, will lose time, display the wrong date after each leap year, and you can't ever replace the battery. And they've got over 200 backers.

Kickstarter watches are, for the most part, a scam. I got suckered into just one and it never shipped and the project folded despite having something like 250% over its goal amount. Thankfully I was only out $75 but still.

I'm not sure why anyone would want that watch, especially if you live somewhere the does Daylight Savings. Your watch will be off by an hour half the year. I'm not even sure what they're trying to solve either, it's not like accidentally pressing a button on a watch is a problem.

Kickstarter watches are, for the most part, a scam. I got suckered into just one and it never shipped and the project folded despite having something like 250% over its goal amount. Thankfully I was only out $75 but still.

I'm not sure why anyone would want that watch, especially if you live somewhere the does Daylight Savings. Your watch will be off by an hour half the year. I'm not even sure what they're trying to solve either, it's not like accidentally pressing a button on a watch is a problem.
They aren't trying to solve anything. In the kickstarter they even admit that it's a waste and that you should buy it solely for the feels.

They aren't trying to solve anything. In the kickstarter they even admit that it's a waste and that you should buy it solely for the feels.
And I actually kind of respect that. It's more an art instillation than a watch. But on the other hand, I can find an attractive watch that's also useful for $160.

And I actually kind of respect that. It's more an art instillation than a watch. But on the other hand, I can find an attractive watch that's also useful for $160.
No kidding. I mean, I can massage you one for about 15 bucks honestly. Get the casio, cast the watch body into a mold, out the watch mechanism into the mold and pour in some resin. How it's got 250+ backers at 160 bucks is boggling. I wonder if the creator is perhaps a psychologist...

No kidding. I mean, I can massage you one for about 15 bucks honestly. Get the casio, cast the watch body into a mold, out the watch mechanism into the mold and pour in some resin. How it's got 250+ backers at 160 bucks is boggling. I wonder if the creator is perhaps a psychologist...

It's from a design studio.

I like the look of it and I like the idea behind it, but the price is insane.

My current every day watch is this Swatch Redtangle which i've owned for about 10ish years.
Apparently is quite a rare so i've been told.
B_YCS4049AG.jpg

I also own a TW STEEL Grandeur Tech TW120 which I chose for my 20 year long service award from work.

4046261701788-TW-Steel-Grandeur-Tech-45-mm-Mens-Watch-Steel-Black-Silicon-TW120.jpg

View attachment 895903

My daily driver for over a year now. I love it, but I’m curious. For around the same sort of price range, is there anything manual available??
I’d like a mechanical dress watch, and would prefer something manual but the only ones that seem to exist are around £1-2k

The Seiko Sea Urchin is a nice watch! However I always preferred the SKX in the Seiko Diver Range.

Do you mean actual mechanical manual winding or would an mechanical automatic be also ok?

The Seiko Sea Urchin is a nice watch! However I always preferred the SKX in the Seiko Diver Range.

Do you mean actual mechanical manual winding or would an mechanical automatic be also ok?
Manual winding, Orient make really nice mechanical dress watches but I was curious about manual winding ones

View attachment 895903

My daily driver for over a year now. I love it, but I’m curious. For around the same sort of price range, is there anything manual available??
I’d like a mechanical dress watch, and would prefer something manual but the only ones that seem to exist are around £1-2k

Heritor makes some nice-looking watches. Their website prices are obscene, but they are readily available through retailers, and online like Groupon, for real-world prices. I have a Conrad because I have a fetish for skeleton movements. :) Chinese, but good jeweled movements, self-winding. Some have date, some not, depends.

Heritor makes some nice-looking watches. Their website prices are obscene, but they are readily available through retailers, and online like Groupon, for real-world prices. I have a Conrad because I have a fetish for skeleton movements. :) Chinese, but good jeweled movements, self-winding. Some have date, some not, depends.

Not a fan of skeleton watches personally. They are hard to read. More style and little function. Heritor does seem more of a watchbrand that inflates prices and then gives ridiculous "discounts". that said there are many chinese microbrands that give rediculous value.

Most of them are not skeletons, I just got that one because it was. It's been quite accurate, runs nearly 2 days on a full wind, and has a nice weight to it, not feeling cheap. I actually expected to return it when I bought it just to check it out, but was sufficiently impressed to keep it.

Most of them are not skeletons, I just got that one because it was. It's been quite accurate, runs nearly 2 days on a full wind, and has a nice weight to it, not feeling cheap. I actually expected to return it when I bought it just to check it out, but was sufficiently impressed to keep it.

The style kinda suggest tourbillons though.

After a quick look round, I think I've decided on this.

Casio FT500WVB-3BV. Only $23.95 and it it has a nylon strap. I prefer them to the cheap plastic on most budget watches. In fact I prefer nylon to metal or leather. They let my wrist breath and the velcro closure means I can make it exactly as tight or loose as I want.

I have a Seiko chronograph (quartz) that's 7-8 years old now, used as a daily for most of its life. I'm fairly certain I changed the battery a few months ago, but it seems to have died. Other times, it's randomly "died" and started working again seemingly out of the blue, except this time it seems to be properly dead. However, the stopwatch is working perfectly.

When it was ticking fine (last working a few days ago), the seconds hand was ticking perfectly, whereas it would only be moving every two seconds if the battery was running low (which has happened several times in the past - fixed by replacing the battery). Any thoughts as to what the issue could be? It has seen a lot of abuse, so my first thought was that it's just died because of my clumsiness.

@Nexus. You should check out youtube, there are plenty of videos of how to mend and mod all types of Seiko watches. Might just be a buildup of gunk and an easy fix?
It’s worth a look.

@Nexus. You should check out youtube, there are plenty of videos of how to mend and mod all types of Seiko watches. Might just be a buildup of gunk and an easy fix?
It’s worth a look.
I ended up getting the battery replaced today and it seems fine again. I'll definitely do more research if it starts acting up again, though.

The other two Casio Foresters arrived in the mail yesterday, so now I have all three.

I think I'll be concentrating on budget watches for a while. It's a cheap and fun hobby.

I bought my second AVI-8 watch:

AV-4011-0H-Q.jpg

A Hawker Hurricane in Panda Black.

I have had a Supermarine Seafire from AVI-8 for a few years now, but the leather strap has worn, so I ordered a replacement for that as well. And it needs a new battery.

Last edited:
I really like AVI-8 watches. I had an Olive Green Spitfire one for a bit, but ended up selling it to make some room for some other watches.

Back